Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

JagUTD

Given that I don't read every single post of every thread, why don't you educate me?

On Courtois, Madrid have won the league twice in the last five years (and lost it to some pretty average Barca and Atleti sides three times) with an average of slightly more than 80 points and a peak of 87. Their peak season would have been enough to win the PL in the COVID season and that's it. The winner of the PL has averaged 95 points over the same time and the lowest season (by some margin was 86). You cannot get 90+ points consistently without being in control of the ball the overwhelming majority of the time, that means having a ball playing keeper. Look at all the sides across Europe who consistently gain 90+ points per season over the same time period: Bayern, Ajax (under Ten Hag), City and Liverpool. All of them dominate the ball to a ridiculous degree and all have excellent ball-playing keepers to facilitate this. Madrid are the only successful exception you can name, yet they're a pretty average league side who do very well in cups.
Does average mean something different these days? Because people say De Gea is average and then you say Real Madrid are average.

I wish United had been average over the past decade, by my calculations that would mean 4 league titles and 4 Champions Leagues, based on the newly defined average

JB7

It's interesting the confidence some in this thread seem to have that he'll be our number one next season, given the various glaring weaknesses he has shown throughout the season and the fact that we tried to replace him not once but twice last summer (Yann Sommer, then Kevin Trapp). What gives people the certainty that Ten Hag's opinion of him will have improved as the season has gone on?

sifi36

Does average mean something different these days? Because people say De Gea is average and then you say Real Madrid are average.

I wish United had been average over the past decade, by my calculations that would mean 4 league titles and 4 Champions Leagues, based on the newly defined average
Average in the sense that they don't dominate their league consistently and haven't done for two decades. They have seven wins in a (mostly) two horse league (United have one fewer in the same timespan, half of which we've been pretty shite and we have to compete with at least four other clubs with comparable revenues, rather than one), two fewer than Barcelona. That becomes 6 vs 10 in favour of Barcelona at the end of this season.

Their Champions League performance on the other hand, that's otherworldly.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Which part do you disagree with? That was a poor performance even by De Gea standards. But none of his mistakes lead to goals. Goalkeepers like Alisson and Ederson do in fact occasionally make costly passing mistakes that lead to goals, but these mistakes are shrugged off because people assume that the overall good passing outweighs these mistakes.

I personally disagree with this. I'd rather the goalkeeper don't try to be an outfield player. Or to make it simpler terms:

Goalkeeper A
- 10 out of 10 when it comes to making saves
- 5 out of 10 when it comes to passing and distribution
- Concedes 0 goals per season due to passing mistakes

Goalkeeper B
- 9 out of 10 when it comes to making saves
- 10 out of 10 when it comes to passing and distribution
- Concedes 1 goal per season due to passing mistakes(or keeping the ball for too long)

I pick Goalkeeper A any day of the week. And I am convinced that he is worth more points as well.
"None of his mistakes lead to goals" you just made this up without any real evidence. And even so, it's an idiotic way of looking at football. If you had a keeper that never made a save and was incapable of doing so, but you'd won 15 games in a row because the defense never allowed a shot on target, would you keep that keeper around because "we just get clean sheets with him in goal"?

I don't even feel like going deeper because if that's how you reason that distribution isn't that important then it's hopeless anyways.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Yikes. And this is in a season where the eye test tells us his shot stopping has improved from recent seasons. 28th place in a 19 team league is really quite something. And that’s the part of his game that’s supposed to be his strength!
Exactly, yet people see him pull off a couple of saves like in the Leicester match and just cover their eyes and assume he's still World Class

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Aside from distorting how we view the issues in our current side, the other downside to people claiming that De Gea's shot-stopping is currently top class is that it does a disservice to how good he was when his shot stopping was actually top class.

It would be a shame if people talked themselves or others into thinking he hasn't declined from his peak, as if what we have now is as good as he ever was.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I'd rather the goalkeeper don't try to be an outfield player.
That's very much like saying you prefer your striker to focus on scoring goals and not pressing.

Fine, you prefer it. Maybe I do too. But it hardly matters what we prefer.

Anyway, De Gea has glaring deficiencies as a goal keeper. Not only as a modern/current era goal keeper, but as a goal keeper in most eras. He's relatively speaking shit-to-mediocre at anything that isn't shot stopping.

Olecurls99

Aside from distorting how we view the issues in our current side, the other downside to people claiming that De Gea's shot-stopping is currently top class is that it does a disservice to how good he was when his shot stopping was actually top class.

It would be a shame if people talked themselves or others into thinking he hasn't declined from his peak, as if what we have now is as good as he ever was.
So this is his worst season?

I'm sorry that's simply wrong

The models are broken. He was so bad I wanted him gone a few years ago.

Last edited:

Dve

It was strange to watch De Gea last game, doing such unmotivated errors. It was hard to see what he was even trying to do, like he'd lost all control. He looked to improve his passing for a while, but seems to be in a downwards spiral at the moment. I'm overall happy with De Gea this season, and he've had made som silly saves that most keepers can't make, even if there are one or two that can. He has shown in many games that he can pass the ball on his day, but looks to be increasingly losing confident in himself the last few games.

lolok

It's interesting the confidence some in this thread seem to have that he'll be our number one next season, given the various glaring weaknesses he has shown throughout the season and the fact that we tried to replace him not once but twice last summer (Yann Sommer, then Kevin Trapp). What gives people the certainty that Ten Hag's opinion of him will have improved as the season has gone on?
I think there is a slightly greater than 50% chance he will be here next year, mainly bc United doesn't have as much money to spend as people think. If he's willing to extend for ~ 200K per week, then I think United would prefer to keep him vs spending 65mm to activate Diogo Costa's release clause. (Or of course spending big on another keeper.)

I'm pretty sure most of United's money this offseason is allocated for a #9 and a MF, and there may not be enough money to go around to spend big on a keeper this summer. Obviously things could change and a new owner could go Todd Boehly this summer and go nuts. Or a cheap option could be available that ETH thinks is an upgrade. Either way-- we will find out in the summer as DeGea may not want to renew or ETH may not want him back. Maybe it's more 50-50 instead of slightly greater than 50% like I originally thought.

Honestly, not too worried about it at the moment because things can change between now and the end of the season. If De Gea hits a bad run of form to end the season-- he is probably gone. If he picks it up, maybe he sticks around for another year. Who knows. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

JeffFromHK

People are fooled into believing the De Gea is still a "world class shot stopper" this season because he made a few wonderful matching saving saves this season. But people often forget that most "average" goalkeepers make wonderful match saving saves here or there. Heaton has never been a world class player but he pulled in a few world class saves when he played for Burnley in a single game (the 2-2 one where Lindelof scored?) against us a few years ago. Pickford also makes wonder saves here and there.

De Gea has already let in some cheap goals this season, these cheap goals have probably negated the wonderful saves he made for us. When you average out, De Gea is probably just an average shot stopper at PL standard right now.

Adding to the fact that De Gea is easily the worst 4-5 PL goalkeeper at claiming crosses (definitely one of the worst 2 PL goalkeepers in that department), sweeping, commanding the backline, passing, etc, he is probably one of the worst 6 or 7 goalkeepers in the premier league right now - yet some of our fans are content with that out of sentimentalism.

NoPace

Wishful thinking on your part. I bet you a fiver (big money, I know!) that DDG is still our first choice when we start next season.
I think you're maybe both wrong and Ten Hag is preparing De Gea to resign knowing we're bringing in a passing keeper like Raya or another guy like that for the kind of price where it's not a disaster if he's a backup long term or can be sold for decent money coming back, like 20M.

berbasloth4

I might be very old fashioned but to me a goalkeepers 1st job and main job is keeping the ball out of the net. Except for a blip for about 18months (every player has bad periods) he has been the best at it. I wouldn't swap him for any keeper in the world.

A few years back when alvarez was his keeper coach his distrubution was great and since alvarez left its went downhill. Maybe it's the coaching and the drills. And also if you know your keeper isn't that good with his feet don't fecking pass it to him don't play from the back. It's not rocket science.

croadyman

It was strange to watch De Gea last game, doing such unmotivated errors. It was hard to see what he was even trying to do, like he'd lost all control. He looked to improve his passing for a while, but seems to be in a downwards spiral at the moment. I'm overall happy with De Gea this season, and he've had made som silly saves that most keepers can't make, even if there are one or two that can. He has shown in many games that he can pass the ball on his day, but looks to be increasingly losing confident in himself the last few games.
Yeah just read between the lines from what Erik said after the Betis game about him not being great with his feet

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
DeGea isn't fantastic with his feet, however, Thursday night's game was not a typical reflection of his ability.

DeGea was clearly rattled, which isn't surprising considering he'd conceded seven at JuAnfield days before. His confidence had evidently taken a hammering and he played like a deer in headlights.

DeGea isn't Manuel Neuer, what we saw on Thursday isn't the norm for him though. Should his confidence recover his distribution will also improve.

DeGea won't ever be world class on the deck. However, I doubt he will be as bad as he was against Betis again. Provided, of course, that he can get his self-assurance back.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Ok some of these aren't his fault but there are far more examples of shit passes than what is put here. He's honestly just a very bad goalkeeper now. His average shot stopping over the season isn't good. One off game might have a great shot stopping game but will still be a huge problem in build up and dealing with crosses. Over time, he makes too many shot stopping mistakes now for even that to be worth it. Biggest mistake we could do is resign him. He has to go. He's one of the worst in the league now.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I might be very old fashioned but to me a goalkeepers 1st job and main job is keeping the ball out of the net. Except for a blip for about 18months (every player has bad periods) he has been the best at it. I wouldn't swap him for any keeper in the world.

A few years back when alvarez was his keeper coach his distrubution was great and since alvarez left its went downhill. Maybe it's the coaching and the drills. And also if you know your keeper isn't that good with his feet don't fecking pass it to him don't play from the back. It's not rocket science.
He hasn't. Nowhere near. Why do people believe this kind of stuff?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

Ok some of these aren't his fault but there are far more examples of shit passes than what is put here. He's honestly just a very bad goalkeeper now. His average shot stopping over the season isn't good. One off game might have a great shot stopping game but will still be a huge problem in build up and dealing with crosses. Over time, he makes too many shot stopping mistakes now for even that to be worth it. Biggest mistake we could do is resign him. He has to go. He's one of the worst in the league now.
Feck me, that's horrible. I can't believe all of those goals are just from this season(even though I am sure there are far more bad passes than shown on that video though).

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Feck me, that's horrible. I can't believe all of those goals are just from this season(even though I am sure there are far more bad passes than shown on that video though).
Yeah the video just focused in on Brentford and Betis for the passing really..

AndySmith1990

Decent shot stopper and crap footballer. He's been fortunate the rest of our team has been poor for so many years and there's always other priorities. This year its the striker. Next year it'll be something else and he'll still be our #1

RedMistyDevil

This chart is confusing me to death when I was looking at it in the other thread. Percentage and Percentiles are not the same. Yes, De Gea's numbers are bad, but perhaps not as bad as the chartmaker's understanding of data analysis.

Olecurls99

Kepa came for a cross there and almost let Leicester back in the game. Won't show up in the stats

georgipep

This chart is confusing me to death when I was looking at it in the other thread. Percentage and Percentiles are not the same. Yes, De Gea's numbers are bad, but perhaps not as bad as the chartmaker's understanding of data analysis.
Agree, it takes away from the graph's point. Which is that De Gea is drastically worse in ALL measures compared to the two keepers we're most linked with.

Malone_Post

How are people still peddling this line when, by all metrics, it’s just patently untrue?
Kepa came for a cross there and almost let Leicester back in the game. Won't show up in the stats
Except that John Harrison has said that his model absolutely does take into account mistakes where a keeper comes for, and misses, a cross. So yes, it will show up in the stats.

JeffFromHK

any evidence to refute the author's data? I think no rational minds can dispute that De Gea is very very bad at metrics like sweeping, cross claiming and passing - one of the worst amongst PL goalkeepers. It is so obvious even when using eye test alone.

Olecurls99

How are people still peddling this line when, by all metrics, it’s just patently untrue?

Except that John Harrison has said that his model absolutely does take into account mistakes where a keeper comes for, and misses, a cross. So yes, it will show up in the stats.
I meant it won't show up in the stats that most people peddle on here

Olecurls99

any evidence to refute the author's data? I think no rational minds can dispute that De Gea is very very bad at metrics like sweeping, cross claiming and passing - one of the worst amongst PL goalkeepers. It is so obvious even when using eye test alone.

Well?

Status
Not open for further replies.