Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zetrio2002

No club is going to pay him 350k per week. DDG should be happy with 200k per week

Malone_Post

Said it before, Clubs will be lining up to sign him for free at his current wage. The idea that we should lowball his wage for that extension is a silly thought, imho. A Gk as accomplished like him would cost 50-70m, plus big wage.
Considering the likes of Alison & Ederson are on £150k & £100k respectively absolutely no club is going to be lining up to pay De Gea £350k. It’s actually insane how we ever agreed to that contact in the first place.

Oranges038

Playing slightly better than the last few seasons. But he's still well down the league when it comes to passing, claiming high balls and sweeping. Then you look at things like goal kicks, he's going longer than most in the league and his pass completion isn't all that great either.

Any suggestion that he's worth anywhere near his current wage is just bonkers.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Considering the likes of Alison & Ederson are on £150k & £100k respectively absolutely no club is going to be lining up to pay De Gea £350k. It’s actually insane how we ever agreed to that contact in the first place.
No one is going to offer those wages. PSG would have but they have Donnorumma. Not even Newcastle would offer those figures.
He might not get as high wage as that. But the signing fee as free player would offset the difference. SO you need to see the overall package.

He won't get that (much) signing fee with 1 year extending with United.

Sylar

Clubs that can afford to offer him that wage. How do you know DDG's priority or think? I'm not a prophet to know which clubs they are, man. But players have that kind of wage in many clubs.

On free, he might not get as high wage as that. But the signing fee as free player would offset the difference. He won't get that signing fee when extending with United, i'd guess.
So it's a very weird statement from you.
Likewise how do you know the clubs thinking and priority for a keeper on wages as high as him if you're not going to say who?

It's a very bizarre claim to say clubs are lining up and that we shouldnt negotiate his wage (lowball him as you put it)

Would be ridiculous for us to just give him the same wage to extend him. United need to assess many factors but his wage should be reduced from the reported 350k to closer to 150-200k.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
So it's a very weird statement from you.
Likewise how do you know the clubs thinking and priority for a keeper on wages as high as him if you're not going to say who?

It's a very bizarre claim to say clubs are lining up and that we shouldnt negotiate his wage (lowball him as you put it)

Would be ridiculous for us to just give him the same wage to extend him. United need to assess many factors but his wage should be reduced from the reported 350k to closer to 150-200k.
Agreed that we should try to reduce it, but it won't work if we want him to stay. Imho.

Don't focus on his wage alone, but see the overall package (wage + sign on fee + length of contract). Another year for him would put him as 34 y.o. and probably make it harder for him to find clubs that offer him good wage on long-ish contract. At 33 y.o., Clubs probably would take a chance on him (on free) with 3 yrs. contract on relatively high wage.

So i put this as my argument of why it won't work lowballing his wage. He probably would take a pay cut if he really likes living at Manchester, or he believes in EtH's project and want to leave on high (winning trophies with United and confirm his claim among United legend), or if we offer him a new longer contract. Strange things happened, and I don't know DDG priority/thinking much. It's all just opinion.

Last edited:

Rojofiam

Playing slightly better than the last few seasons. But he's still well down the league when it comes to passing, claiming high balls and sweeping. Then you look at things like goal kicks, he's going longer than most in the league and his pass completion isn't all that great either.

Any suggestion that he's worth anywhere near his current wage is just bonkers.
And that's why we won't be able to control games with him in goal. Even if we buy a new #8 and #9, De Gea will be holding us back. An established ETH team will ideally concede so few chances that De Gea shouldn't be able to showcase his shot-stopping skills too much (in most games).

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Said it before, Clubs will be lining up to sign him for free at his current wage. The idea that we should lowball his wage for that extension is a silly thought, imho. A Gk as accomplished like him would cost 50-70m, plus big wage.
Clubs who are able to afford such a wage (even factoring in a signing on fee in lieue of a transfer fee) all seem fairly sorted in the GK department.

saivet

Assuming ETH doesn't want to have Henderson back I'd be inclined to get him on a new deal on reduced terms. He's not the ideal goalkeeper for how we want to play but he's improving on the ball and is still a good keeper. I wouldn't put replacing DDG as a higher priority than getting another midfielder or striker for example.

Smores

Agreed that we should try to reduce it, but it won't work if we want him to stay. Imho.

Don't focus on his wage alone, but see the overall package (wage + sign on fee + length of contract). Another year for him would put him as 34 y.o. and probably make it harder for him to find clubs that offer him good wage. At 33 y.o., Clubs probably would take a chance on him (on free) with 3 yrs. contract on high wage.

So i put this as my argument of why it won't work lowballing his wage.
Its a very simple point you're trying to make, fail to see why some are so confused. There's no doubt De Gea can get a better package elsewhere than us offering 50% of his current salary.

He'd be a great signing for a lot of teams on a free. That inevitably means higher wages.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Its a very simple point you're trying to make, fail to see why some are so confused. There's no doubt De Gea can get a better package elsewhere than us offering 50% of his current salary.

He'd be a great signing for a lot of teams on a free. That inevitably means higher wages.
Agreed. Initially, I did post on wage alone. There's that. Many posters disagreed, which is understandable.

So yeah, there might be not many clubs offering his current wage, but there will be some clubs offering better package than us offering 50% pay cut for a 1 year extension. He'd probably take a pay cut if we offer a new longer contract, though.

Clubs who are able to afford such a wage (even factoring in a signing on fee in lieue of a transfer fee) all seem fairly sorted in the GK department.
Yeh. I wrongly focusing on his current wage alone.

See my previous explanation:

Don't focus on his wage alone, but see the overall package (wage + sign on fee + length of contract). Another year for him would put him as 34 y.o. and probably make it harder for him to find clubs that offer him good wage on long-ish contract. At 33 y.o., Clubs probably would take a chance on him (on free) with 3 yrs. contract on relatively high wage.

So i put this as my argument of why it won't work lowballing his wage. He probably would take a pay cut if he really likes living at Manchester, or he believes in EtH's project and want to leave on high (winning trophies with United and confirm his claim among United legend), or if we offer him a new longer contract. Strange things happened, and I don't know DDG priority/thinking much. It's all just opinion.

Last edited:

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Agreed. Initially, I did post on wage alone. There's that. Many posters disagreed, which is understandable.

So yeah, there might be not many clubs offering his current wage, but there will be some clubs offering better package than us offering 50% pay cut for a 1 year extension. He'd probably take a pay cut if we offer a new longer contract, though.

Yeh. I wrongly focusing on his current wage alone.

See my previous explanation:

Yeah I’m not sure how DDG managed to negotiate a £350k wage for himself - but I guess it was at a time where he was one of the best around and we had a floundering side, so he had the power, per se.

I think a more realistic wage is around £200k which would still make him one of the best, if not the best, paid GK’s around (I’m sure Donnarumma is probably on a silly wage at PSG considering he also went on a free iirc?). And I don’t see many other suitors who can even afford to offer him that, as the top-cash flush clubs around Europe are all sorted in that department.

arthurka

Who was playing in front of him? As soon as we have Lindelöf and Maguire together Dave stops sweeping. Those two together are such a detriment to our play and to the other players.
Wouldn't you love to have a keeper that could claim one fecking corner once in a while to ease the pressure?

Lyng

Wouldn't you love to have a keeper that could claim one fecking corner once in a while to ease the pressure?
Yes. But given our current issues and Daves overall play this season I dont see it as a urgent matter.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
One of our best performers while we were very shit and was wanting to leave. Tough position for United to be in and led to a lot of overpaid players, including the ones that weren't performing at all, but we would have probably ended up in a worse position if everyone left. Not suggesting it's a justified wage, just how it happened.

Sylar

As said before. We would have been silly to offer him anything close to what he was getting
And ddg would be silly to go elsewhere considering where we are headed

Raven

As said before. We would have been silly to offer him anything close to what he was getting
And ddg would be silly to go elsewhere considering where we are headed
Would love for him to finish his career with us, club legend for me.

stu_1992

Would be happy to see De Gea take a paycut and extend a few more years. He's back to being very good this year and there's been some development in ball-playing ability too in that. If that continues, it would be a very solid investment that would allow us to spend elsewhere where things are more pressing in my opinion.

Pat Cat

We are finished when this sorry mess signs a new deal. Finished

Shai-Hulud

Hmm... it had better be an absolutely huge pay cut.. At least 50%. Even a 50% cut would keep him here on £187k p/w. Possibly still the best paid GK in the world, definitely int he top 3 best paid GKs.

I don't really agree that he's having a fantastic season. He's doing well, but but much of that is down to having Martinez and Casemiro added in front of him. DDG's weaknesses remain. Distribution, command. He is a good shot stopped, but how much of that ability will remain when he enters his mid 30s?

December_16

Like many of us here, I lived through the whole Bosnich/Barthez/Howard/Carroll era to appreciate the value of having a stable, reliable GK that instills trust in the backline. DDG may not be the best GK in the world, may still have weaknesses and may not suit ETH’s style 100%, but I’d rather have the devil we know, at least for the next few years.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
A payout doesn’t suddenly make him good enough for what you want. Would be weird in my opinion.

Nero

Costa, Simon, Sommer, Sanchez, Raya.. these jokers aren't fit to lace De Gea's boots.

Dave stays. My keeper. Your keeper.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
A payout doesn’t suddenly make him good enough for what you want. Would be weird in my opinion.
Much easier to re-sign de Gea than it is to buy a replacement. Big part of the thought process, I reckon

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
For all that De Gea has been fine recently, the stylistic impact of having him in goals is still evident.

Our goalkeeper passes the ball long (40+ yards) twice as much as the City/Liverpool goalkeepers. From goal-kicks only three teams (Newcastle, Brentford and Southampton) go long more often than us. And we've had one of the deepest average defensive lines in the league this season:

I don't think there's a rational argument to be made whereby that isn't partially a result of De Gea's limitations and doesn't restrict how we can play.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Much easier to re-sign de Gea than it is to buy a replacement. Big part of the thought process, I reckon
I get that. But the issue is, huge wage or not, he’s just not good enough for what you want to reach. He’s also not suited to your style. So any kind of longterm extension will only cost you. Even if it’s cheap. Because the issue in itself is not just the admittedly ridiculous wage De Gea enjoys, but that he’s not good enough. And he would still be not good enough if he were to play for free. You don’t need a less expensive keeper, you just need a better one that’s better suited to your style.

Sylar

I get that. But the issue is, huge wage or not, he’s just not good enough for what you want to reach. He’s also not suited to your style. So any kind of longterm extension will only cost you. Even if it’s cheap. Because the issue in itself is not just the admittedly ridiculous wage De Gea enjoys, but that he’s not good enough. And he would still be not good enough if he were to play for free. You don’t need a less expensive keeper, you just need a better one that’s better suited to your style.
Which would be the question: who is that? Who is the better keeper out there that would make sense to get for a good price and good wages?

For all that De Gea has been fine recently, the stylistic impact of having him in goals is still evident.

Our goalkeeper passes the ball long (40+ yards) twice as much as the City/Liverpool goalkeepers. From goal-kicks only three teams (Newcastle, Brentford and Southampton) go long more often than us. And we've had one of the deepest average defensive lines in the league this season:

I don't think there's a rational argument to be made whereby that isn't partially a result of De Gea's limitations and doesn't restrict how we can play.
Would be Interested to see the long ball numbers broken down. After the Brighton/Brentford game he went long every single time which would skew the numbers. Recently it's lowered a lot and we've seen much better distribution

Jev

He's saving us game after game. We're not getting a better keeper than DDG for anything south of 60 million. And there are way more pressing areas to use that kind of money on. We don't have unlimited funds, and I'd buy a striker, a CM, a right-back and maybe a right-winger before a keeper.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Completely in agreement, and I think this is the easiest time to actually get rid of him - let him graciously see out his contract, thanks for your service #DaveSaves, but it's time to go. I'm sort of surprised that ten Hag has relented on this - perhaps he knows he has bigger fish to fry, tactically.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
I like to think that I know football but the little confidence I have vanishes when discussing goalkeepers.

I don't see the issue people have with De Gea. Isn't making saves 90% of a goalkeepers' job? If I had to choose between a world class shot-stopper who's average at everything else and a good shot-stopper who's world class at everything else, then I'd always go for the first option. A world class shot-stopper who doesn't make many blunders is bloody great to have. So be it if their kicking isn't super accurate or they occasionally fail to reach a corner kick that they should reach. These are "micro situations" in the bigger picture.

That's just my opinion, though. It's probably very outdated.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I like to think that I know football but the little confidence I have vanishes when discussing goalkeepers.

I don't see the issue people have with De Gea. Isn't making saves 90% of a goalkeepers' job? If I had to choose between a world class shot-stopper who's average at everything else and a good shot-stopper who's world class at everything else, then I'd always go for the first option. A world class shot-stopper who doesn't make many blunders is bloody great to have. So be it if their kicking isn't super accurate or they occasionally fail to reach a corner kick that they should reach. These are "micro situations" in the bigger picture.

All of the data from recent years suggests that De Gea is a very average PL shot-stopper.

De Gea's supporters make any save a top save, and any truly good saves something only he can do. Last night was a great example. Goalkeepers make saves. Even the average PL goalkeeper has made more saves and prevented more goals than De Gea in recent seasons.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Which would be the question: who is that? Who is the better keeper out there that would make sense to get for a good price and good wages?

Would be Interested to see the long ball numbers broken down. After the Brighton/Brentford game he went long every single time which would skew the numbers. Recently it's lowered a lot and we've seen much better distribution
Difficult. I think Sommer could have been one. Not for long. But he could have gotten you a few quite stable years.
And in terms of keepers I don’t really think you need to spend that much to get an improvement. You don’t need to have a keeper who will play for you the next 12 years and is undisputed world class. Though that would be nice. A solid keeper who is capable of playing at a high level and fits your style is all that’s needed.
And honestly, you guys did this before and it worked out quite well. Van der Sar wasn’t exactly the most sought after keeper there is, when you got him. But in my opinion he’s the best you had In the last 15 years. He barely cost anything.
So instead of going either De Gea or the next superstar, maybe you lot should consider options in between. Good keepers who fit your style and are available. And I’m sure you’ll be able to find such a keeper. You did before. And so did others before you.
But extending with De Gea would basically settle the position for years, with a subpar option. That’s never good business. And not ambitious enough. De Gea just doesn’t cut it. So in my opinion you need to get new guys in until someone does.

December_16

I’m of the exact same mind. Maybe I’m old school as well.

HTG

Supports
Bayern

Well, shot stopping is obviously important. Very much actually. But in the 90 minutes of playtime, how often does the keeper actually have to stop shots? And how often does he have to handle crosses, how often is he the first one to start your build up from the back? How often does he bring the ball in play for your team?
Seeing it this way shows that these other areas are also a huge part of what the keeper does. And therefore it’s something a club of your magnitude definitely needs to be good in. And De Gea is not good in these areas. Not only is he not good, but pretty much bang average. So while he might be incredibly good at shot stopping (though I believe that regressed), he’s severely lacking in other departments. And these are important. Maybe just as important as shot stopping.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
All of the data from recent years suggests that De Gea is a very average PL shot-stopper.
Including this year? I'm aware that DDG had a couple of bad years, but between 2013 and mid 2018 he was genuinely incredible.

I'm happy that Solskjær, Rangnick and Ten Hag(hopefully) kept believing in him. It seems to be paying off now.

Status
Not open for further replies.