Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
What would a shiny new GK reasonably demand in wages? Say we went for Costa (I know some people doubt him after the World Cup, but he's had a top season domestically and not least in the CL), would he be likely to get more than 150K? Maybe 180K at a push?

I think 200K would be extremely generous to renew Dave's deal. He's been hugely overpaid and that's on Woodward. Maybe 150K with some tasty performance bonuses.

I wouldn't be averse to seeing him renew his deal here, he's a lovely character and if ETH trusts him that's pretty significant. There also seems to be a lack of an obvious candidate to bring in who is a more modern type, if not Costa.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
What would a shiny new GK reasonably demand in wages? Say we went for Costa (I know some people doubt him after the World Cup, but he's had a top season domestically and not least in the CL), would he be likely to get more than 150K? Maybe 180K at a push?

I think 200K would be extremely generous to renew Dave's deal. He's been hugely overpaid and that's on Woodward. Maybe 150K with some tasty performance bonuses.

I wouldn't be averse to seeing him renew his deal here, he's a lovely character and if ETH trusts him that's pretty significant. There also seems to be a lack of an obvious candidate to bring in who is a more modern type, if not Costa.
There's differing figures around, but it seems there's only six keepers in the world who are on more than £150k. De Gea, Neuer, Oblak, Courtious, Navas and Donnarumma. There's only a few more that are even above £100k.

As such, if we do end up going for somebody like Costa, Raya, Sanchez, etc, even just £100k would already be a massive wage increase for them. We've made a lot of changes throughout our hierarchy over the last 12-18 months, so hopefully putting a halt to the ridiculous wages we've been handing out is something that we're going to improve on. If they then prove to be as good as we hope they will be, they can expect a nice increase in a couple of years.

Similarly, if De Gea does want to stay here he should be accepting a huge decrease. Even going down to £250k would see him still be the third highest in the world, which his performances over the last five years certainly haven't warranted.

meamth

He really isn't. People seem to exaggerate his saves and make out that he's constantly making wonder saves that almost no other keeper would do. Yes he has the occasional one where you don't expect the keeper to make it, but the vast majority of his saves are ones that your keeper is expected to make, and if they don't it would be a mistake.
Uh..no. De Gea's positioning when anticipating shots are so good, you think it should be routine for every other goalkeepers.

Against Bournemouth, I'm pretty sure other GK would've conceded one or two goals.

Malone_Post

He's always been capable of pulling off fantastic saves, nothing new in seeing him do that. It's his willingness to come off his line and sweep and his Distribution that's been the big improvement.
This is the issue though. Yes, it has been a big improvement. But it’s been a big improvement from a really low baseline. So while the improvements look incredible to the eye test because we’re comparing De Gea to himself, the stats show that in pretty much every department he’s still an incredibly average keeper. If you look through the stats from this season there’s nothing that he excels at. You compare his distribution, sweeping & coming off his line to other PL keepers and it’s still bang average.

Another big contact would be a huge mistake. The idea that we should accept it if he takes a huge wage cut is just such illogical thinking. He’d be accepting a wage cut because he’s not as good anymore, and we should be grateful for that? Giving a player who’s declined a new contact because he’s nice enough to accept he’s declined so isn’t asking for as much money? We’re Manchester United ffs. Add to the fact his only real quality is his reflexes, the chances are that he will age horribly. People will trot out the cliched ‘keepers peak in their 30’s line’ but that really only applies to keepers with a great all round game. Reflex keepers don’t tend to age well because once those are gone there’s nothing left.

For what it’s worth, because it probably comes across like I hate the guy, I’ll always have huge love & respect for De Gea. He was incredible for many many years and goes down in United history as one of our greatest ever keepers. Watching him grow from that young, skinny kid to becoming one of the best, if not the best at times, keepers in the world was magical. But it’s just time to move on now.

Kag

This is what I’ve been waiting for. De Gea is a keeper of chaos. He revels in it. I’ve said all year that as soon as we start to become good then his issues will arise. They stick out under pressure. This is the start.

A new contract will be a monumental error of judgement.

Djemba-Djemba

There's something about Everton that seems to bring the worst out in him.

He's had so many howlers against them over the years

Malone_Post

This is what I’ve been waiting for. De Gea is a keeper of chaos. He revels in it. I’ve said all year that as soon as we start to become good then his issues will arise. They stick out under pressure. This is the start.

Some people have been talking on here about how he still deserves £200/250k a week :houllier:

Another new contact would be a disaster. Just as giving him his last one was. He’s just not good enough anymore. And hasn’t been since about 2018.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp

What an odd statement.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Of all the blunders De Gea had made in his time here, that was one of the weirder ones.

Kag

What an odd statement.
Is it shite. I’ve been saying this for years and nothing has changed. De Gea is a liability and the better we are the more obvious this becomes.

He’ll get his contract, mind you. It will also be a huge talking point for years to come

OT1214

I think he is so worried about getting beaten at the near post that he holds on to the post no matter what. Nearly screwed up coming out of the box to clear the ball in second half. Glad the errors didnt cost us the game.

KjaAnd

Both his mistake for their goal and his passitivity for DCL's disallowed goal are symptoms of his biggest flaw: his timidity. This is why he doesn't come out to claim crosses, gets bullied on the line and, historically, hasn't been able to sweep. He's a very reactive keeper and that will never change. Really hope we find an upgrade on him.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I'm sure it's been asked... but seriously, what the feck was he doing?

mikeyt

He has a few games where he makes some decent saves, saves that good goalkeepers should be making and all the other things get quickly forgotten.

De Gea is not the long term answer on reduced wages or not. We got away with it today but it's those tight matches where we need our goalkeeper to be solid, commanding and brave, things De Gea has never been and never will be.

The goal and the disallowed goal were horrific from a goalkeeping perspective, in defensible. We all know though he'll make a couple half decent saves in the next couple games and he'll get a new four year deal. He must be let go of and we need to invest in a top goalkeeper.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

So grabbing the post is just a rookie mistake he inexplicably made for no apparent reason? It isn't even something I've seen him do before now. Very weird brain melt moment.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

So grabbing the post is just a rookie mistake he inexplicably made for no apparent reason? It isn't even something I've seen him do before now. Very weird brain melt moment.
Wasn't he doing the exact same thing when DCL scored?

And yeah, getting into the ‘set’ position (which obviously doesn’t involve holding a fecking goalpost) the moment you anticipate a shot/cross is literally the first thing you teach a small child learning how to be a goalkeeper.

Lights Out

Quality control
You can dress it up all you like but that was a fecking shite performance.

I really don’t like this cnut

BarstoolProphet

Now that it made no difference in the end I can safely say that I found the mistake hilarious. Proper "worst player on the Sunday League team put in goal because no one wants to a be goalkeeper" error.

Idxomer

He has a few games where he makes some decent saves, saves that good goalkeepers should be making and all the other things get quickly forgotten.

De Gea is not the long term answer on reduced wages or not. We got away with it today but it's those tight matches where we need our goalkeeper to be solid, commanding and brave, things De Gea has never been and never will be.

The goal and the disallowed goal were horrific from a goalkeeping perspective, in defensible. We all know though he'll make a couple half decent saves in the next couple games and he'll get a new four year deal. He must be let go of and we need to invest in a top goalkeeper.
Yep, renewing him will be the first obvious big mistake under Ten Hag.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
SAF's hairdryer would remind him quickly... Surprised we need to play De Gea in FA Cup games too.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Of all his mistakes that have lead to goals... this might actually be his worst, because normally, when he fecks up at least you can sort of see what he was trying to do.... here though, I have no earthly idea what he was trying to do/thinking.

His positioning is all wrong, his body shape is all wrong, his legs are all wrong... it's almost like he just shuts down and just stands there. It's totally bizarre.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
He’s such a poor fit for the way ETH wants to play. Howlers aside I’m sure we’re searching hard for an upgrade. Contract or no contract.
Hopefully a night like tonight will save us from ourselves. Time to move on. Can’t kick this can down the road any longer.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I can't stop laughing at that goal. Man was leaning on the post. :lol:

I think it was the worst bit of goalkeeping I've seen this season, and I've watched Ward at Leicester.

Anyway, he's had a good season but probably a gentle reminder he isn't the future solution to our goalkeeper position.

BarstoolProphet

Surprised to see so many people angry about his mistake. It was hilarious and made no difference in the end. It also comes on the back of him having a fine season so far (also that it's obvious EtH is looking for a keeper that suits him better).

AndySmith1990

Reminded me of when I was in school and I couldn't be arsed trying to be a keeper and instead just casually stood there in a lame attempt to save with my feet

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Yep, renewing him will be the first obvious big mistake under Ten Hag.
Tbf to ETH, we don't know the context in terms of how much we'll likely be able to spend. It's one thing if he just doesn't want to replace De Gea, it's another if he wants to but can't because of a limited budget and signings needed elsewhere. He can only play the hand he's dealt, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.