Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

userman

Saka's goal?! :lol:
Yes, look at again and you’ll see him taking a step to the left meaning he’s on the wrong foot (moving the opposite direction) and can’t reach his far post if it comes there (it did). If he hadn’t done that he should have been able to cover both his near AND far post, the shot had enough travel time and was in no way impossible to save.

Last edited:

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
That punch with his arms when he should have cleanly pick the ball without a single threat around him almost made me lose my mind. Amateur hour.

CoopersDream

Yes, look at again and you’ll see him taking a step to the left meaning he’s on the wrong foot and can’t reach his far post if it comes there (it did). If he hadn’t done that he should have been able to cover both his near AND far post, the shot had enough travel time and was in no way impossible to save.
It wasn't impossible to save, but it was a very well taken shot. If he had a great day he could have saved it, but it's not a mistake not to save it.

ScholesyTheWise

First time for me, thinking that not only we should cut his wages by substantial amounts and bring someone to challenge him.
but we probably need to replace him. It was very evident that a large part of Arse's game plan was to let him have the ball as much as possible and expect him to lose it in key areas for their attackers to pounce on, which he did plenty of times.

I won't say that I'm one of his greatest fans as I'm quite neutral about him,
But I always thought his detractors are over the top with their criticisms. Not sure about that anymore.

BorisManUtd

Think EtH and his staff will decide towards the end of season whether to keep De Gea as 1st choice next season or find a replacement.

DarkXaero

DDG will get exploited every time we play a top team that does pressing well. It happened vs City and it happened tonight. We really should look for a new long-term keeper but with our financial issues atm, and reinforcement priorities (striker), it's unlikely this gets addressed for another season or so.

Dorris

Not good enough and will constantly hold us back until he’s replaced.

Sylar

Don't want to pile on, there was a moment in the first half saka put the ball in and awb had to put it behind. Ddg could have either come for it or given an early shout to leave it.
Did neither and it happens too often

Longshanks

I think he maybe could of done better with the first and third goal if he was willing to ever leave his line and engage with forwards in his six yard box, although I will admit it is very easy to say that in hindsight and there is no guarantee of a better outcome. But I think there is a better chance of it.

On the Saka goal I think it's a stretch to blame him for maybe he could do better but it is very well placed and would of been an outstanding save the make the ground up. But I think the saka goal comes indirectly from a corner when Martinez slid across the front post to stop a through ball from Odegard reaching Nkethia. A situation that I can't help but feel should of been swept up by De Gea. But I could be wrong on both counts as iv not had a chance to have a second look as of yet.

But the things that infuriated more than anything today we're his complete lack of command and composure when we were under the cosh in the last 20. That paniky punch, when he could of very easily caught it sums up where all his flaws stem from, his mentality or lack of it. He is meant it be one of our most experienced players and it was panic stations, hoofing it under any pressure with his feet and downright refusing to claim high balls to help allieviate the pressure on the defenders. Coupled with when he was given a chance to launch a counter but instead decided to waste time by claiming injury after being tapped on the arm. Accepting a draw when there was a chance of winning the game is exactly the sort of mentality that has held us back for years. I'm glad ETH has called this out post match.

I'm not blaming him personally for the defeat we were in the end beaten by the better side in a very competitive game. But our inability to control games, get out under pressure and poor game management are all partly on having a GK who has a big negative effect in all three departments.

Idxomer

Don't want to pile on, there was a moment in the first half saka put the ball in and awb had to put it behind. Ddg could have either come for it or given an early shout to leave it.
The same thing happened with Martinez's tackle on Xhaka, he was very close to the ball and stood there doing nothing.

Andersons Dietician

In recent memory once against PSG and this game, we are under preasure and he has an easy claim and for whatever reason he punches it. maybe thinks he is going to get clattered but it just looks horrible when no one is around him.

Wasn’t a great game for him. Indecisive with his passing as well. Even he looks more assured with Cas in the team.

JB7

Guys a mute. Makes me laugh when people talked him up as captain material, he’s just as quiet as he was as a teenager in goal. It’s pathetic.

space

Amazing shot stopper but his passing, decision making and inability to deal with crosses was painful today

This is my biggest problem with DDG.

Distribution I don’t mind but that fact that he’s so hesitant with his sweeping and REFUSES to leave his line to catch an aerial ball puts us under so much UNNECESSARY pressure every single game.

Josep Dowling

The unnecessary punch had me absolutely fuming. I can’t believe a top level goalie would decide to punch instead of catch in that situation. He was under no pressure. He seems to have a meltdown at the Emirates.

I think it’s long overdue to find a suitable replacement who is comfortable on the ball, and commands his box. Yes he makes absolutely fantastic saves but there are so many basics he’s lacking in which are fundamental to the way we want to play.

Remember the geese

I look forward to the day he is no longer our first choice. I just wish there was a Neuer or even an Alisson that were available. Many of the so-called 'modern' style keepers have a some ridiculous blunders in them.

fallengt

whatever you do, don't extend his contract. No club's going to buy him from us even with reduced wage.
Good shot stopping gk on his day but his limitation is always a net loss for us.

kaku06

Vulgarian
I would be happy with Sanchez or Martinez or even Meslier. I want a keeper with some courage compared to de gea. In other words I want a normal Keeper.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
It's been obvious for ages that he's a complete liability. The problem is he makes one good save and people come flooding back in to tell me how wrong the detractors are whilst completely missing the overall point. The difference between him and Ramsdale was night and day today and it helped contribute to the fact Arsenal could play out the press better than us. We won't progress as a team till he's binned off.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
He's ill suited to playing from the back. We have done well to have mostly got away with it this season. He's a club legend, but not the type of keeper that will be in the manager's longterm plans.

CloneMC16

This was basically a typical De Gea game. Little to no box presence. Looking scared when the ball is played to him. Hoofing it out of play/to the opposition. Good saves. I wish I believed in myself as much as Martinez believes in De Gea's ability on the ball. He passes back to him in a lot of scenarios that gives me so much anxiety. I can't wait (well, hope) until we bring in a keeper that is comfortable with the ball being played to him. Being able to play passes over the press/through the lines on a consistent basis, too.

Nobody can make me believe that ETH is happy with this type of performance. His weaknesses are going to look even worse as the team improves further. If he is given a new contract, I have no idea what this club is doing.

He did make two top quality saves, though.

But I think the saka goal comes indirectly from a corner when Martinez slid across the front post to stop a through ball from Odegard reaching Nkethia. A situation that I can't help but feel should of been swept up by De Gea. But I could be wrong on both counts as iv not had a chance to have a second look as of yet.
A whole lot of people in the match thread were wanking off over the pass Odegaard made. It was a good pass, but De Gea definitely has to come off his line and take the ball. Martinez saved his ass with that tackle. They didn't show a replay, and maybe I'm wrong, too, but I felt the same as you. His lack of proactivity is really frustrating to watch.

The Purley King

I’ve said it for a long time but he is #1 on the list to be replaced.
He is a phenomenal shot stopper but great goalkeepers prevent those players from having a shot in the first place.
Doesn’t command his area, had that frankly ridiculous punch today.
Have to get someone else in I’m afraid

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Other keepers seem to be able to take the sting out of the last 5-10 minutes when holding on to results, claiming crosses, running down time, solid distribution. With De Gea it's the opposite, just chaos.

ForeverRed1

Can’t believe how many times we pass back to him knowing how that’s his weakness. He’s very shaky on the ball and his distribution is pretty bad at this level in the modern game. We should be keeping the ball away from this danger as much as possible until we have a keeper that can play from the back.

criticalanalysis

I think he maybe could of done better with the first and third goal if he was willing to ever leave his line and engage with forwards in his six yard box, although I will admit it is very easy to say that in hindsight and there is no guarantee of a better outcome. But I think there is a better chance of it.

On the Saka goal I think it's a stretch to blame him for maybe he could do better but it is very well placed and would of been an outstanding save the make the ground up. But I think the saka goal comes indirectly from a corner when Martinez slid across the front post to stop a through ball from Odegard reaching Nkethia. A situation that I can't help but feel should of been swept up by De Gea. But I could be wrong on both counts as iv not had a chance to have a second look as of yet.

But the things that infuriated more than anything today we're his complete lack of command and composure when we were under the cosh in the last 20. That paniky punch, when he could of very easily caught it sums up where all his flaws stem from, his mentality or lack of it. He is meant it be one of our most experienced players and it was panic stations, hoofing it under any pressure with his feet and downright refusing to claim high balls to help allieviate the pressure on the defenders. Coupled with when he was given a chance to launch a counter but instead decided to waste time by claiming injury after being tapped on the arm. Accepting a draw when there was a chance of winning the game is exactly the sort of mentality that has held us back for years. I'm glad ETH has called this out post match.

I'm not blaming him personally for the defeat we were in the end beaten by the better side in a very competitive game. But our inability to control games, get out under pressure and poor game management are all partly on having a GK who has a big negative effect in all three departments.
Yes it a through ball that was trickling towards the 6 yard box that should have been claimed or the space closed VERY easily by De Gea but he just stood there waiting for a shot (whilst doing that standing small/hoping the shot hits him pose). Just another ugh moment.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Other keepers seem to be able to take the sting out of the last 5-10 minutes when holding on to results, claiming crosses, running down time, solid distribution. With De Gea it's the opposite, just chaos.
Yeah, that’s a good point. When you’re trying to close the game out against good teams your goalkeeper is going to be involved. And having a keeper who basically never catches high balls and is nervous with the ball at his feet at the best of times is the worst possible scenario.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I would one million percent take a keeper that’s good playing out and commands the box even if there is occasional poor play.

I’ve said for years, De Gea is the one constant in the team that continually shows it cannot handle pressure. Zero ability to keep things calm.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The amount of time the balls floats in the box and be just backs away is really irritating. Get on the front foot for fecks sake

JB7

Caught the last half an hour of the Leeds-Brentford game in the concourse today and that's exactly what Raya was doing. He just dealt with balls into the box, caught shots instead of punching them, cut balls out, no fuss. Basic goalkeeping, but our Dave doesn't do the basics.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Sa, Raya, Sanchez, Martinez, Pope - any of these keepers between the sticks and we draw that game. He just breeds nervousness and chaos.

lex talionis

I would one million percent take a keeper that’s good playing out and commands the box even if there is occasional poor play.

I’ve said for years, De Gea is the one constant in the team that continually shows it cannot handle pressure. Zero ability to keep things calm.
And concede 4 or 5 goals in the process because that mythical better keeper who's not named Alisson or Neuer would ship in goals that De Gea routinely saves from being scored. Genius!

Status
Not open for further replies.