Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
And concede 4 or 5 goals in the process because that mythical better keeper who's not named Alisson or Neuer would ship in goals that De Gea routinely saves from being scored. Genius!
Nonsense. Maybe those saves wouldn’t need to happen if we had a goalkeeper who snuffed out danger a bit more.

SAFMUTD

Can't help to think that we would've avoid the first and third goal if we had a more proactive keeper for air balls.

The first goal Nketiah heads in the small box, it's totally on Wan Bissaka leaving him free but as a keeper no one should be heading a ball inside the small box. He's so rooted to his line that all that type of crosses instantly become dangerous when they should be gifts from the opposition.

NoPace

Yeah he's not gonna last here. I think if Ten Hag is going to live with a keeper who's not comfortable on the ball they'd have to be a good sweeper and commanding aerially since Lisandro will be the LCB here for the rest of the decade.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Can't help to think that we would've avoid the first and third goal if we had a more proactive keeper for air balls.

The first goal Nketiah heads in the small box, it's totally on Wan Bissaka leaving him free but as a keeper no one should be heading a ball inside the small box. He's so rooted to his line that all that type of crosses instantly become dangerous when they should be gifts from the opposition.
It was a good cross by xhaka but de gea did his usual standing stuck to the near post routine before shuffling across and trying to save a point blank header. Like you say AWB takes huge blame but a better keeper positions better and maybe affects the cross .

SAFMUTD

It was a good cross by xhaka but de gea did his usual standing stuck to the near post routine before shuffling across and trying to save a point blank header. Like you say AWB takes huge blame but a better keeper positions better and maybe affects the cross .
Yes, I don't think it's urgent to upgrade on him but it's necessary. We have spent so badly in the last year's that we need a total overhaul it's going to take some time sadly.

JeffFromHK

We are in urgent need to upgrade De Gea. He is just a decent shotstopper and is BAD at all other departments of a goalkeeper - be it claiming high balls, sweeping, throwing, passing, penalty saving, or commanding and organizing defence.

He is just an average PL goalkeeper now, not the worst (Ward and Lloris say hi) but not anywhere near top 5, probably somewhere 8th to 11th among 20 starting PL goalkeepers. We can't play the football ETH want us to play if we stick him on for longer

RkkMan

I really hope he doesn't cost us the EFL Cup
If we make it to the final vs Newcastle I can see them exploiting his weaknesses badly

AshRK

He is handicapping us. The guy for his experience plays like a coward. The moment he did not catch the ball was sad to watch.

Seij

Spain's WC 2022 preliminary squad GK's
- Unai Simon
- Kepa Arrizabalaga
- David Raya
- Robert Sanchez
- David Soria

Did Luis Enrique have some sort of personal vendetta against ddg who started for them in 2018 WC and has 45 caps? I don't think so, and there hasn't even been any smoke about something of that nature. Kepa, Raya, Sanchez all play in the PL so you can't even say he discriminates outside of La Liga.

This is what he said about GK's: "A goalkeeper should start the play and generate the first superiority, they must dominate the aerial play," “I need a goalkeeper that transmits peace and calmness to me - and that doesn’t mean they won’t make mistakes, errors are part of football."

We are paying the world's highest GK salary (and 2nd highest PL salary closely behind kdb and same as Haaland who just scored his 4th hattrick in 19 games) to somebody who is not even Spain's 5th choice these days. Renewing his contract would be a huge mistake. Halve his salary and he's still on more than what Liverpool pays Alisson.

Last edited:

kundalini

Terrible performance. You can tell when he's completely lost his nerve as he punches when under no pressure so would have been the easiest catch. Kicking the ball out of play because Shaw wasn't where he expected him to be, was just embarrassing. Any chance he could look to see where players are, before receiving the ball ?

I suspect there are some PL keepers that would have saved one or more of the goals we conceded, without it seeming like they'd done anything special. De Gea's reactive approach makes it appear that his saves are incredible, while the goals he concedes aren't his fault.

We dropped points at Palace because Varane took forever to decide what to do with the ball, then passed it back to De Gea, who instead of trying a lofted pass to Shaw who was free, blasted the ball up the pitch, we lost possession, they attacked, Shaw committed a stupid foul, they scored from the free-kick.

A keeper that is calm in possession reduces the number of opportunities the opposition get.

Is he even a top 10 PL keeper right now ?

Last edited:

croadyman

Terrible performance. You can tell when he's completely lost his nerve as he punches when under no pressure so would have been the easiest catch. Kicking the ball out of play because Shaw wasn't where he expected him to be, was just embarrassing.
Yeah this position is starting to look just behind CM & ST in terms of first XI signings. I honestly believe he isn't the ideal GK for Erik but nothing he can do until summer.

dabronxolivera

Supports
Al Hilal
The way he stands like a statue during crosses makes me so angry. Man up, jump the feck up and claim the ball. None of this punching the ball to opponent bullshit. He has 0 bravery as a keeper. Put Martinez mentality on him and he would easily claim and catch all these crosses. Also his passing is so dogshite that he makes playing from the back a torture. Either he fecked up a pass or hoof it to row Z. Need a replacement for sure. Would take Raya, Bazunu or even Onana from Everton

Longshanks

Yes it a through ball that was trickling towards the 6 yard box that should have been claimed or the space closed VERY easily by De Gea but he just stood there waiting for a shot (whilst doing that standing small/hoping the shot hits him pose). Just another ugh moment.
And it's the unseen after effect of it that is true problem. GK claims the ball stops the attack dead, starts a spell of possession (although with De Gea's distribution it's 50/50) or GK leaves his defenders to deal with it they concede a corner or half clear it, generates a sustained attack for Arsenal where they eventually score.

And it happens all the time and it's like it goes unnoticed. The defenders eventually all start to fall apart in front of him under pressure. Defensive mistakes are magnified because he is doing nothing to help them or relieve the pressure. The defenders eventually lose confidence because there taken the blame for the cahos and we go out and sign new defenders. And the cycle begins again.

Oranges038

And concede 4 or 5 goals in the process because that mythical better keeper who's not named Alisson or Neuer would ship in goals that De Gea routinely saves from being scored. Genius!
Nah, what's happened here is that he made no world class finger tip saves yesterday to gloss over his deficiencies.

A lot of people have now realised that when he doesn't make these saves to put in the YouTube reels he's really not that good overall.

He's a good goalkeeper hes just not suited to the game ETH wants to play, he's not calm enough or good enough on the ball and his passiveness and unwillingness to command his area creates chaos every time a ball is played into the box.

A goalkeeper who sweeps, claims crosses and can pass better would be a fair better fit for the team overall. We've already seen that when Henderson got his spell in there.

Idxomer

Nonsense. Maybe those saves wouldn’t need to happen if we had a goalkeeper who snuffed out danger a bit more.
The thing is De Gea's shot-stopping ability has been nothing special since 2018, there have been a lot of keepers who outperformed there in the last few years.

Red_toad

That punch that didn’t even clear his box will haunt me for a long time, I suspect I’d have even been able to catch it, never mind a professional highly paid keeper. His form is so up and down and he’s playing behind a solid central defence and not really helping them at all.

JB7

We dropped points at Palace because Varane took forever to decide what to do with the ball, then passed it back to De Gea, who instead of trying a lofted pass to Shaw who was free, blasted the ball up the pitch, we lost possession, they attacked, Shaw committed a stupid foul, they scored from the free-kick.
I don't want to nitpick because I agree with your general point, but the goal at Palace was worse than this. Varane delayed in passing the ball back to De Gea which gave Martinez time to drop into space for the simple pass. He didn't need to loft it to Shaw or anything even slightly complicated, there was a very simply 10-15 yard pass to a completely unmarked Martinez on.

JB7

The thing is De Gea's shot-stopping ability has been nothing special since 2018, there have been a lot of keepers who outperformed there in the last few years.
He's been a net negative in the PSxG stat in four of the last five seasons, including this one.

Hughes35

He's still a decent keeper but it does seem the game has moved on.

I'd love to see us go for Martinez. We've seen how goalkeepers come to Utd and struggle with the pressure. He'd eat it and thrive.

Rockets Redglare

That punch that didn’t even clear his box will haunt me for a long time, I suspect I’d have even been able to catch it, never mind a professional highly paid keeper. His form is so up and down and he’s playing behind a solid central defence and not really helping them at all.
Yeah I was really confused why he did that, it looked a very comfortable catch.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I think that punch is going to haunt my nightmares for the rest of the season.

JeffFromHK

I'd love to see us go for Martinez. We've seen how goalkeepers come to Utd and struggle with the pressure. He'd eat it and thrive.
if a decent keeper equals to being the 8th-12th best goalkeeper in PL, i accept that.

JeffFromHK

I think that punch is going to haunt my nightmares for the rest of the season.
the worst thing about DDG (and Maguire, awb, Mctominay and co) is that they produce some shakiness vibe on the pitch, and their teammates would drop deeper to help them out, for which reason it is more difficult for us to dominate the field

JB7

I don't get this. Dominating your area, communicating with defenders, taking the sting out of games and dealing with balls in behind the defence has always been a part of goalkeeping. It's the kind of thing we used to take the piss out of keepers like Shay Given for in the 90s. None of these are new fangled "modern goalkeeper" things, they're just goalkeeper things. Granted, more is expected with the ball at your feet than it was previously but De Gea is dreadful at multiple aspects of the game that have been basic expectations of a reasonable goalkeeper for decades.

CM

That punch yesterday would've been comical if it was a goalkeeper for any other club, feck knows what he was thinking. He was poor on the ball again too, it's like he was trying to convince us to make a move for Raya in the summer.

mctrials23

the worst thing about DDG (and Maguire, awb, Mctominay and co) is that they produce some shakiness vibe on the pitch, and their teammates would drop deeper to help them out, for which reason it is more difficult for us to dominate the field
They invite pressure don't they. McTominays hiding invites pressure on the defence. AwBs penchant for losing the ball makes people reticent to attack until hes cleared his man. Maguires lack of pace scares his teammates. DDGs lack of sweeping and passing ability encourages the opposition to press. Near the end DDG punched an easy catch because he was clearly petrified of making a mistake.

Oh what I would have given for Casemiro on the pitch yesterday.

Oranges038

I don't get this. Dominating your area, communicating with defenders, taking the sting out of games and dealing with balls in behind the defence has always been a part of goalkeeping. It's the kind of thing we used to take the piss out of keepers like Shay Given for in the 90s. None of these are new fangled "modern goalkeeper" things, they're just goalkeeper things. Granted, more is expected with the ball at your feet than it was previously but De Gea is dreadful at multiple aspects of the game that have been basic expectations of a reasonable goalkeeper for decades.
I think it's mental people don't see this. He's never been really good at those things. .

I've been playing in goal my whole life almost, not at any particularly high level. But even I've had to adapt to being more involved on the ball, even at the lowest levels of the game keepers are having adapt to doing it. That's the main reason why I don't see how the highest paid keeper in the game, training for hours every day hasn't been able to adapt to it.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
DDG will get exploited every time we play a top team that does pressing well. It happened vs City and it happened tonight. We really should look for a new long-term keeper but with our financial issues atm, and reinforcement priorities (striker), it's unlikely this gets addressed for another season or so.
The thing is, it wouldn't necessarily cost that much. For example the reports around David Raya this week suggested he'd be available for around £15-20m. How much are we expecting to get for Henderson, for comparison?

Now while I'm not sure if Raya is the best possible replacement for De Gea, at that sort if price he wouldn't need to be. You could happily bring him in lower wages than De Gea would be on knowing that while he isn't as gifted a shot-stopper as De Gea, he'll make up for it by being a more well-rounded keeper who is among the best in the league at distribution and claiming whatever comes into his box. If not us then he's likely going to one of the other top four contenders.

And if you ultimately need to replace him in a few seasons' time it's not a particularly big deal as you haven't committed that much to him financially. But at least the team would have been allowed to keep developing by having the right type of goalkeeper for the type of football ETH wants to play.

Last edited:

Hughes35

if a decent keeper equals to being the 8th-12th best goalkeeper in PL, i accept that.
Well yea, that's exactly what decent means. The below are better than him and I probably would but him next as the 8th best.

Ederson
Allison
Martinez
Sa
Raya
Pope
Sanchez

JeffFromHK

They invite pressure don't they. McTominays hiding invites pressure on the defence. AwBs penchant for losing the ball makes people reticent to attack until hes cleared his man. Maguires lack of pace scares his teammates. DDGs lack of sweeping and passing ability encourages the opposition to press. Near the end DDG punched an easy catch because he was clearly petrified of making a mistake.

Oh what I would have given for Casemiro on the pitch yesterday.
exactly what I think. players like Mctominay, awb, maguire, DDG make us incapable of playing Man City/Arsenal style pro active football for the reasons you stated

JeffFromHK

Well yea, that's exactly what decent means. The below are better than him and I probably would but him next as the 8th best.

Ederson
Allison
Martinez
Sa
Raya
Pope
Sanchez
except that we shouldn't have a "decent" "8th-10th best in PL" goalkeeper if we aspire to be a top team again. :)

arthurka

He has been a liability for a while now. I would love to see United stay strong and move him on. Can't see ETH liking what he sees. Arsenal fans were making fun of him yesterday with his distribution and he has no command of any area never steps out and cools anything. Might be a nice guy but he needs to be upgraded.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
On a more positive note, I did find his shithouse time-wasting collapse quite funny. Don't normally see that from Dave.

padzilla

Hipster
Chance for Butland to become this generation's Les Sealey - De Gea was a liability again yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.