Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylar

:lol:

De gea lovers desperately trying to deflect from his every flaw always cheers me up

Am I doing it right?

Telsim

Nothing to do with yesterday's game, but some interesting charts made by a user by the name of themfeelswhen on Reddit about GK performance across Europa and how De Gea compares (decidedly below average):

Sylar

'Prevention is better than the cure' is a fantastic line btw. @Telsim
Its why I always think players like Carrick (as example) in midfield who can read the game are better than those who are reactive
Likewise Rio was fantastic at reading the game where his need for last ditch tackles (say like a carragher) made me like him more.
Its even important for goalkeepers where if you can prevent chances (eg like the Leeds keeper did last night near the end where he just claimed the ball and nullified our last attack ,its better than him having to try be a superhero to save a chance which otherwise would never have come)

edgecutter

:lol:

De Gea haters desperately trying to blame him for every goal always cheers me up
Take a look at his stats over the last few seasons, he's average at best and that simply isn't good enough if we want to compete never mind being on 350k

Oranges038

Nothing to do with yesterday's game, but some interesting charts made by a user by the name of themfeelswhen on Reddit about GK performance across Europa and how De Gea compares (decidedly below average):

Best goalkeeper in the world. 350k a week well spent.

Let's sign him up for another 10 years.....

Olecurls99

Take a look at his stats over the last few seasons, he's average at best and that simply isn't good enough if we want to compete never mind being on 350k
I'm talking about last night. He clearly wasn't to blame for either goal but by God it won't stop people from trying.

Telsim

In my opinion, buying a new GK that fits with the style Ten Hag is trying to implement is as important this summer as a striker. With De Gea, we can't build from the back and we can't play with a high defensive line. And he refuses to claim crosses, which could have stopped two or three goals this season. My choice would be Raya because he already does what he does in the Premier League. He is almost as good as De Gea when saving shots, but he is vastly superior across all other metrics.

Kostov

If only we had David Raya yesterday instead of DDG, Gnonto wouldn't score in the second minute, Fred would have instantly become a pro midfielder who can actually pass a football, Weghorst would become Ibrahimovic and we would have scored 5 goals. Yeah DDG was hindering our progressive football once again.

Oranges038

I'm talking about last night. He clearly wasn't to blame for either goal but by God it won't stop people from trying.
His contribution to the first is questionable.

Should be catching the corner for the second. Kills the pressure straight away, instead he flaps it into a danger area and let's it become a 50/50 scrap that ends up being a goal.

Both goals are avoidable if he does his initial job better.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Of 110 goalkeepers across Europe's big five leagues only 10 haved stopped crosses into their box less frequently than De Gea. That's not an opinion, it's a countable fact.

So when you have literally one of the worst goalkeepers in Europe at stopping crosses in goal and you concede directly following a stoppable cross he failed to stop, it's pretty fair to suggest you could do better with a different goalkeeper.

Kostov

Should be catching the corner for the second. Kills the pressure straight away, instead he flaps it into a danger area and let's it become a 50/50 scrap that ends up being a goal.

What happened to danger prevention? Why were we pinned down in our box by fecking Leeds for example? Was it because of DDG?

Longshanks

If we played another keeper last night rather than De Gea, I guarantee all we would here is how De Gea would of saved that for the first goal. I would expect the highest paid GK in the world to not get beaten on the near post as much as he does.

If we played another GK rather than De Gea they don't flap at a ball that was in there bread basket under minimal pressure and we don't concede the second goal. Tom Heaton would happily claim that ball and relive the pressure.

JB7

So you agree with my post? Nice distraction technique.
Tbh I barely read your post, I was on the tram back and thought you were being pathetic. There is a difference between should & could you’re correct but I stand by what I said that anyone who doesn’t see it at this point needs their head inspecting. Comical attempt at a punch led directly to the second goal. All first half Leeds pressed the ball back to him knowing he didn’t have the ability to pick out a player over their front 3. He is pathetic.

Sylar

If only we had David Raya yesterday instead of DDG, Gnonto wouldn't score in the second minute, Fred would have instantly become a pro midfielder who can actually pass a football, Weghorst would become Ibrahimovic and we would have scored 5 goals. Yeah DDG was hindering our progressive football once again.
This is such a bizarre post to try defend DDG.

Do you think we cant improve upon DDG? Do you think DDG is the best we can do?
Do you think the goalkeeper doesnt have an important factor in relieving pressure?

Im interested to hear your thoughts on this because your post seems to imply we should not criticize DDGs flaws in his performance thread just because other aspects of the team needs improving? (eg fred who isnt a starter when we have everybody fit, and Weghort who was brought on loan as a backup because our striker is always injured, and the other striker we started the season with had a hissy fit)...

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Having only watched the game this morning it's clear We were on the attack for the second goal, or at least we should have been.

Ridiculous suggestions in here blaming DDG for anything last night.

Was left criminally exposed for the own goal, and Varane shying away for the free kick that hit the post, can't really fault De Gea for much of anything last night.

JB7

Having only watched the game this morning it's clear We were on the attack for the second goal, or at least we should have been.

Ridiculous suggestions in here blaming DDG for anything last night.

Was left criminally exposed for the own goal, and Varane shying away for the free kick that hit the post, can't really fault De Gea for much of anything last night.
Did you watch the game or the highlights? The second goal comes directly from him punching a corner into the ground (which 90% of goalkeepers catch all day long) which let to us hooking the ball away & never gaining proper control of the ball, within about 10-12 seconds of the punch the ball in is the back of our net. But yeah, faultless.

Oranges038

What happened to danger prevention? Why were we pinned down in our box by fecking Leeds for example? Was it because of DDG?
Losing 1-0 and Leeds had their tails up, it happens in games. That's when you need your keeper to be strong and help alleviate the pressure when he can.

Simply put, he should be catching that corner. It relieves the pressure. Instead he bats it into the danger area leaves it to a 50/50 scrap and the ball comes straight back in and it's a goal.

Look at what Meslier did in the last few minutes when the pressure was on. Claimed the balls and took the sting out of the game. That's what a proactive goalkeeper should be doing.

Champ

Did you watch the game or the highlights? The second goal comes directly from him punching a corner into the ground (which 90% of goalkeepers catch all day long) which let to us hooking the ball away & never gaining proper control of the ball, within about 10-12 seconds of the punch the ball in is the back of our net. But yeah, faultless.
Wow, so that's DDGs fault?

The fact that despite being on a potential counter attack, we contrive to give the ball away and stop tracking runners?
Garnacho had that ball under control and rather than run into space tried to play a pass that was never on.

I get people want De Gea replaced, but the lengths people go to just to try justify it is insane.
Can you really say that goal was DDGs fault?

And not Garnacho for giving the ball away?
Or Bruno for being out of position?
Or Dalot for not tracking the runner?
Or Varane for turning his head away from the ball?

Seriously.

Longshanks

What you want a GK to command his area and claim high balls!? Don't be daft.

The more I have to watch De Gea in nets the more I think he might be one of the biggest frauds in world football. I was watching 8-12 years old practicing high claims last night before the game. The older ones even practices coming through a crowd to claim balls and I honestly thought they could do a better job of it than De Gea.

Oranges038

The fact that despite being on a potential counter attack, we contrive to give the ball away and stop tracking runners?
Garnacho had that ball under control and rather than run into space tried to play a pass that was never on.

I get people want De Gea replaced, but the lengths people go to just to try justify it is insane.

Seriously.
Yeah. Every goal can be traced back an error. There were a few here, Garnacho, the hand ball, Varane, they're all to blame in some way.

He slaps it out into an area where a bouncing ball becomes a 50/50, leads to a series of errors and it comes straight back in and is a goal. His initial error set it all off, everyone else was scrambling after it from then on. If he catches it like any half decent keeper should the pressure is gone.

If it were a poor defensive clearance the blame would rightly come back to the defender.

Why should the keeper be immune?

Longshanks

Seriously.
Because non of that would be an issue if De Gea did the basics and caught the ball in the first place.

Garnacho wouldn't be taking a ball in the middle of the pitch with limited options facing the wrong way under pressure. Which causes the turnover while we were trying to push out which causes players being out of position and getting caught by runners.

If the GK catches the ball he has control he can either set us off on an instant counter attack (unlikely with De Gea) hold onto the ball and start a controlled period if possession or at the very least launch it up the pitch and away from our goal. Flapped down into the penalty spot area is criminal for an experienced very well payed GK.

Kostov

Losing 1-0 and Leeds had their tails up, it happens in games. That's when you need your keeper to be strong and help alleviate the pressure when he can.

Simply put, he should be catching that corner. It relieves the pressure. Instead he bats it into the danger area leaves it to a 50/50 scrap and the ball comes straight back in and it's a goal.

Look at what Meslier did in the last few minutes when the pressure was on. Claimed the balls and took the sting out of the game. That's what a proactive goalkeeper should be doing.
What a fecking load of crap. Leeds had their tails up? You have fecking Fred in the middle of the team that can not string two passes together, gets over run on every possible occasion, you have a Burnley level striker up top that can not put 3 touches on the ball before giving it back to the receiver yet the pressure should be solved by the GK.

Last night we had a worse midfield than the 12th placed Leeds who just bought a midfielder from Juventus while we loan the unwanted son from Bayern, all in the meantime when his 50m CM partner played like a drunk. Yet somehow DDG should solve that crap in front of him.

Oranges038

What a fecking load of crap. Leeds had their tails up? You have fecking Fred in the middle of the team that can not string two passes together, gets over run on every possible occasion, you have a Burnley level striker up top that can not put 3 touches on the ball before giving it back to the receiver yet the pressure should be solved by the GK.

Last night we had a worse midfield than the 12th placed Leeds who just bought a midfielder from Juventus while we loan the unwanted son from Bayern, all in the meantime when his 50m CM partner played like a drunk. Yet somehow DDG should solve that crap in front of him.
They were winning 1-0, were having the better of the game, were pressing well. The midfield was shite and Fred is atrocious.

But, in that one instance that led to the goal, he should have claimed the ball and relieved the pressure. That's what any keeper at any level should be doing. But, you have people trying to claim the best paid keeper in the world doesn't need to.

You'll see when we finally get a proactive keeper who will claim those balls and dominate his area, how much of a difference it makes.

Kostov

This is such a bizarre post to try defend DDG.

Do you think we cant improve upon DDG? Do you think DDG is the best we can do?
Do you think the goalkeeper doesnt have an important factor in relieving pressure?

Im interested to hear your thoughts on this because your post seems to imply we should not criticize DDGs flaws in his performance thread just because other aspects of the team needs improving? (eg fred who isnt a starter when we have everybody fit, and Weghort who was brought on loan as a backup because our striker is always injured, and the other striker we started the season with had a hissy fit)...
Bizare is how some of you always try and trace some goals back to DDG.

Yes we can improve on DDG. We all know that. GK helps relieving pressure, but half of you experts blubber about danger prevention and how it is so important. Well I agree, why were we pinned down in our box in the first time? Yes DDG did not collect an aerial ball. Is there a GK out there that does not do the same? I am pretty sure Meslier who is about 2 meters did not collect all aerial balls yesterday, bet his stats are way better don't they?

Kostov

They were winning 1-0, were having the better of the game, were pressing well. The midfield was shite and Fred is atrocious.

But, in that one instance that led to the goal, he should have claimed the ball and relieved the pressure. That's what any keeper at any level should be doing. But, you have people trying to claim the best paid keeper in the world doesn't need to.

You'll see when we finally get a proactive keeper who will claim those balls and dominate his area, how much of a difference it makes.
I don't know how to break this to you. But even Alison or Neuer do not collect every aerial ball. Yeah GK sometimes do not collect aerial balls, DDG certainly is from the south side.

Yes as I said, when we will have a proactive GK what a fecking difference we will see it will be astonishing. Especially if we continue to play shit like Fred and Weghorst in front of them.

Oranges038

I don't know how to break this to you. But even Alison or Neuer do not collect every aerial ball. Yeah GK sometimes do not collect aerial balls, DDG certainly is from the south side.

Yes as I said, when we will have a proactive GK what a fecking difference we will see it will be astonishing. Especially if we continue to play shit like Fred and Weghorst in front of them.
He got there to flap at it he should be catching it. Doesn't matter who else is on the pitch, balls like that into the 6 yard box have to be the keepers to catch. You can't blame the midfield for him not catching a ball. There's no excusing it.

arnie_ni

Defo flapped and partly at fault for 2nd. Not sure what he could do for either finish.

Bit ironic that If he stayed rooted to his line instead of trying to cut out the pull back he likely saves the 2nd

Sylar

Bizare is how some of you always try and trace some goals back to DDG.

Yes we can improve on DDG. We all know that. GK helps relieving pressure, but half of you experts blubber about danger prevention and how it is so important. Well I agree, why were we pinned down in our box in the first time? Yes DDG did not collect an aerial ball. Is there a GK out there that does not do the same? I am pretty sure Meslier who is about 2 meters did not collect all aerial balls yesterday, bet his stats are way better don't they?
Why are you getting offended that we are talking about DDGin the DDG thread?
Do you want us to talk about Garnachos mistakes or Freds mistakes in here?

Again, this is the DDG thread so DDG is going to be discussed not other players. Why is that difficult to understand?
Also the part about other keeps not doing the same. Thats a point you make if youre saying DDG is the best out there and we cant improve upon him.

We obviously can and his flaws are pointed out. Just like when he makes great saves, those are pointed out. This isnt anything personal. against DDG so if were talking about blubber, what did mentioning Raya achieve in terms of talking about DDGs performance?

JB7

Seriously.
Who said none of them are at fault, I've not seen anyone saying we shouldn't have defended the situation better? But this is the De Gea thread and do any of those things happen if De Gea catches the ball 10-12 seconds earlier? Of course they don't. It wasn't a complicated piece of goalkeepering, if you're going to come for the ball, it was a simple catch. I watched a 5"10 Conference North goalkeeper on Tuesday night catching 6 or 7 crosses that were all more difficult to deal with than that ball. It was abysmal goalkeeping.

It's similar to the Palace equaliser last month; instead of playing a simple 10 yard pass to Martinez to keep possession, he hoofed the ball aimlessly into the sky to nobody and within 6/7 seconds they had the free kick that they scored from. There were other factors, such as individuals being poor in that moment and most importantly, them taking the free kick about 6 yards further forward than they should have; but crucially, it's an entire period of play that doesn't happen if De Gea does the basic thing.

Sylar

Who said none of them are at fault, I've not seen anyone saying we shouldn't have defended the situation better? But this is the De Gea thread and do any of those things happen if De Gea catches the ball 10-12 seconds earlier? Of course they don't. It wasn't a complicated piece of goalkeepering, if you're going to come for the ball, it was a simple catch. I watched a 5"10 Conference North goalkeeper on Tuesday night catching 6 or 7 crosses that were all more difficult to deal with than that ball. It was abysmal goalkeeping.

It's similar to the Palace equaliser last month; instead of playing a simple 10 yard pass to Martinez to keep possession, he hoofed the ball aimlessly into the sky to nobody and within 6/7 seconds they had the free kick that they scored from. There were other factors, such as individuals being poor in that moment and most importantly, them taking the free kick about 6 yards further forward than they should have; but crucially, it's an entire period of play that doesn't happen if De Gea does the basic thing.
This is it.

People sarcastically mention 'modern keeper' but a lot of his issues are basic goalkeeper skills you would hope he would have at a top team. Hes been here for nearly a decade so maybe people have forgotten the standards of goalkeeping weve had with VDS and Schmeichel and the strengths they brough not just with shot saving.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú

I remember on Sunday I was watching United women Vs Everton and goalkeeping has always been a big weakness in the ladies game. This Everton keeper basically came out and took every cross and I was so amazed at it. It really shouldn’t be this hard for someone who is being paid insane money to do this job

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
At 10:40 in the first half, Leeds had a cross come in from a short corner routine and he was completely rooted to his line then almost falls into the goal to get a touch on the deflection. I'd encourage people to watch that sequence of play again snd just look at how de gea reacts to both the cross and the following shot/deflection. I've never seen a more passive keeper in my life.

ArbeitervonWien

For years I've had a soft spot for de Gea for giving us his prime years during a difficult era and for beeing such a handsome f...er with an adorable beard.
I've even overlooked his obvious deficiencies because he was the best keeper on the line.
But as we are progressing this season it becomes glaring evident that he holds us back. Every other match there are moments we cry out for a keeper who can catch a cross.
It would make us so much more stable and resilient if we had a modern goalkeeper, who is proactive, commands his box and can play with the ball on his feet.
I think it's even more important than signing a starting striker.

Olecurls99

The ball got 45 yards from our goal. We had possession too. His "flap" isn't even in the highlights of the goal. Ffs

Champ

Yeah. Every goal can be traced back an error. There were a few here, Garnacho, the hand ball, Varane, they're all to blame in some way.

He slaps it out into an area where a bouncing ball becomes a 50/50, leads to a series of errors and it comes straight back in and is a goal. His initial error set it all off, everyone else was scrambling after it from then on. If he catches it like any half decent keeper should the pressure is gone.

If it were a poor defensive clearance the blame would rightly come back to the defender.

Why should the keeper be immune?
Could we not then trace it back to why we gave the corner away on the first place?
Or maybe a misplaced pass before the corner was given away?
Or maybe how the players came out of the tunnel? Etc etc

Ridiculous to claim that someone giving the ball away in the middle of the park, not once but twice, is down to a goal keeping error.
Likewise Dalot not doing the basics of tracking his runner, or Bruno's lack of positioning.
From the weak clearance to the goal there were four mistakes, none of which were down to the weak punch as we were actually in a semi decent position with the ball at Garnachos feet and runners/space ahead of him.

Oranges038

The ball got 45 yards from our goal. We had possession too. His "flap" isn't even in the highlights of the goal. Ffs
Could we not then trace it back to why we gave the corner away on the first place?
Or maybe a misplaced pass before the corner was given away?
Or maybe how the players came out of the tunnel? Etc etc

Ridiculous to claim that someone giving the ball away in the middle of the park, not once but twice, is down to a goal keeping error.
Likewise Dalot not doing the basics of tracking his runner, or Bruno's lack of positioning.
From the weak clearance to the goal there were four mistakes, none of which were down to the weak punch as we were actually in a semi decent position with the ball at Garnachos feet and runners/space ahead of him.
Look at it this way.

His initial attempted punch didn't even get past the penalty spot and was cleared by another player.

An experienced goalkeeper at the highest level and best paid keeper in the world. Should realise his team is under pressure and should be strong enough to catch the ball, the rest of the scrambling doesn't happen.

It's that fecking simple.

Champ

Was it great goalkeeping? No,

Was it the reason we conceded? No.

The reason we conceded was down to poor defensive clearance, poor decisions from Garnacho, Poor defensive work from Dalot, Poor play from Varane.

This is the De Gea thread, yet similar to the Maguire thread, or the McTominay thread, any single mistake from anyone on the field seems to be automatically De Geas fault now.
I guess with Maguire not featuring and McT injured there has to be another scapegoat for our mistakes.

Longshanks

No all we want from De Gea is his basic GK duties, not much to ask for from the highest paid GK in the world. And we don't get them. According to Fbref he hasn't stopped a cross since the Fulham game, that was in November.

Status
Not open for further replies.