g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
David de Gea image 1

David de Gea Spain flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

madzo2007

We conceded 7 goals from 8 shots on target. It would be unusual in the extreme if he was completely faultless in this game and could do no better for any of their goals.
Just seen the 7th against, perhaps he could do better for that but the other 6... not really.

Dominos

The defence of De Gea is that he's a better shot stopper than all the keepers we could potentially replace him with.

He isn't. The stats speak for themselves. He's underperforming his xGA(and not for the first time). He's meant to be an elite shot-stopper and yet the stats from the last 5 seasons suggest the complete opposite.

Based Adnan

You are correct. He should not be blamed for the defeat, even if he could've saved one or two goals.
Sometimes the shot is too good to be saved. Sometimes there's an element of luck - on one occasion the striker gets lucky, on another the goalkeeper. This all evens out in the end. And that is why De Gea is an average shot stopper judging by the stats.

He looked like a boy out there today.
Careful, you'll have people quoting you saying you watch games through spreadsheets for saying De Gea is as average as shot stopping as the stats suggest

Longshanks

Relentlessly gave Liverpool the ball in the first half with rubbish hoofs and chips into midfield.

Second half liverpool were always gonna come flying early, we clearly had an instruction to try and play out and work through the press (as we were one down) De Gea's contribution to that was to either play very simple passes from his six yard box to one of the CB's or if under any pressure launch it as far as he could which is the halfway line. Far to easy then for Liverpool to hem us In and overun us and win the ball with us try to play out with one less player.

In terms of shot stopping embarassing for two, questionable for another 2 and three he could do nothing with, however a more pro-active ball playing keeper probably wouldn't of had to face as many shots as him because some may not have happened in the first place.

TrueRed79

He's just not a commanding keeper or presence in our defence. Has been part of all our heaviest defeats. Need to upgrade him and Dalot.

Rolaholic

Giving up 7 goals on 8 shots is inexcusable honestly...

He's been terrific with his shot stopping at times this season but he's not the keeper for ETH's system.

Might be the worst keeper in the league at playing out the back and playing against a high press

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Careful, you'll have people quoting you saying you watch games through spreadsheets for saying De Gea is as average as shot stopping as the stats suggest
Well I praise him after a good performance, but this is how this works. He's been lucky lately, today he was unlucky. It all evens out in the end. It's not a big deal. He has far more pressing issues.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Things like catching the ball in the air in his own box to help the team relieve the pressure, sweeping for the long balls to make us play higher line, not hoofing it with every ball to keep us in possession. Maybe it's too much to ask, for that reason he also doesn't make that many errors but that's only because he's not contesting for the balls.

All of the small things will add up though and even excellent shotstopping can't even out his overall contribution. And to be frank, he's got a top save here and there but week in week out I see amazing saves from arguably worse keepers too and today he let in two easy goals from tight angles, on anotherday big active keepers could stopthat while keep us in the game much better than Dave. It's time to make that call ETH, hopefully he's not blind like with some other palyers..

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Do not give this guy a contract please.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
He’s the one constant. All that needs to be said. The moment we get a commanding keeper this team will go up several levels.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It’s crucial that we replace him. Love de Gea but when we talk about Manchester United needing to modernise he’s a prime example off it. It’s very hard to consistently dominate teams in this day and age when your keeper can only lump it forwards

De Gea and Bruno make it very tough

Irwin99

Just seen the 7th against, perhaps he could do better for that but the other 6... not really.
3rd goal? A liverpool supporting mate said to me 'why is he keeping his arms to his side like he's trying not give away a handball, he's a fecking goalkeeper, make yourself big". He should not be beat at that angle, no way.

3rd and 7th goals were rubbish to concede from his point of view.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
It's going to end up like Rooney all over again, everyone knows he needs to go but will keep hanging on to the detriment of the team.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It's going to end up like Rooney all over again, everyone knows he needs to go but will keep hanging on to the detriment of the team.
I’ve argued this for a few years. He has a lot of fans because of the past. They won’t be shaken on their love for the guy. An outstanding save against Betis on Thursday will bring them back.

Even when Rooney was stinking up the place, could barely run or even trap the ball, there were still United fans saying “Rooney gives his all, he’s everywhere on that pitch”.

Marwood

He’s the one constant. All that needs to be said. The moment we get a commanding keeper this team will go up several levels.
I tend to think the same.

These big games in the league, the number of absolute hammerings we've been on the end of. He plays a big role in them.

Jev

The Gakpo goal from the right hand side, Firmino’s goal and the Salah right foot shot.
Gakpo's was a brilliant finish, not unsaveable but nothing you could expect a keeper to save. Salah, is that the one he kicked in off the crossbar with a dipping shot high over the keeper? Are you for real?

RVN1991

I tend to think the same.

These big games in the league, the number of absolute hammerings we've been on the end of. He plays a big role in them.
Maybe because he's been here a decade during the clubs worst ten year span in the premier league era?

ruuds left boot

macs - best example of emperors new clothes ... an
3rd goal? A liverpool supporting mate said to me 'why is he keeping his arms to his side like he's trying not give away a handball, he's a fecking goalkeeper, make yourself big". He should not be beat at that angle, no way.

3rd and 7th goals were rubbish to concede from his point of view.
Exactly this. For the third, his right hand was virtually by his ankle and the ball went well over his shoulder.

I haven't rated Dodgy Dave for some seasons. Can make incredible saves but all-round game, command of his area, being beaten on his near post.

I would honestly rather have Tom Heaton in goal until United by a replacement for DDG.

Btw the thread about DDG being better than the Great Dane... surely, surely a wind-up thread. It's beyond ridiculous to even talk about them in the same conversation.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Gakpo's was a brilliant finish, not unsaveable but nothing you could expect a keeper to save. Salah, is that the one he kicked in off the crossbar with a dipping shot high over the keeper? Are you for real?
Look where his hands are and look at the trajectory of the ball.

It was a shot that he could have saved if he was in a better starting position. The type of sentence we've typed about him with all too regularity in the last few seasons.

We can go back and forth on whether it was saveable or not but the undeniable fact is he's just not good enough and a stronger replacement will lift the team up.

Irwin99

I completely disagree, that was a very saveable shot and De Gea should be making himself bigger. He's trying to narrow the angle but just makes himself too small.

As I said in another thread, emotions are obviously running high for people but you look back at these huge defeats we've had over the years and I never feel he's keeping the score down as the last line of defence. He's been a great keeper for us and I've defended him at times but I'm just tired of it now. I think we need a better goalkeeper in the long run.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
There was obviously shots he should've saved imo. But in the present day you can't have a keeper who is only there to save shots. Your keeper must help the team both in possession and without the ball, and DDG isn't capable of doing that.

I hope we look to sign a keeper who will help with shot prevention and aid the build up play in possession.

Last edited:

Eddy_JukeZ

Replacing him might be the biggest priority in the team.

His goalkeeping for the 3rd goal was pitiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.