Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah let's include the worst season in the premier league we've ever had to serve an agenda. 2 big Pete's wouldn't have had great stats last season FFS.

What about this season? The one that actually counts right now?

Let's put it another way, if last season we won the quad and this season we where a mess would the stats include last season? No because it doesn't serve the anti DDG agenda
Very quick google reveals that there are 11 PL goalkeepers with a higher save % than him this season.

And that’s supposed to be what he’s best at, right?

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
He can't play with Maguire. They don't trust each other.
I think you're right, there always seems to be tension between them when they're in the same team.
On seeing the first goal again from last night, Maguire appeared to signal to De Gea to give him the ball, and I don't know if it's because Maguire is captain, and De Gea feels intimidated by him, but he gave him the ball, and unfortunately Maguire is not aware enough to play himself out of trouble. It seems to me that Maguire is attempting to show Ten Hag that he can play out from the back, which he patently cannot do when he is under pressure.
I noticed later that Maguire gave De Gea the 'talk' signal when he raced back to clear the ball and De Gea had come out to the edge of the area, it seemed to be a bit put downish to me, so I think there certainly is an agenda between De Gea and Maguire.

romufc

I really think to play Ten Hag's football, we need a new goal keeper. DDG has been brilliant for us, I will not disrespect him but his time at this club should be up.

I get he makes world class saves but he puts us under immense pressure in games. Having DDG in away games where the crowd are up, then him being pressed and misplacing passes gets the crowd up, which gets the players up and all in all causes us alot of pressure in a game.

Then from that pressure, we concede set plays, in which he is poor at and we just can't get out.

I am sorry to say this but, DDG needs to be replaced.

Longshanks

I think you're right, there always seems to be tension between them when they're in the same team.
On seeing the first goal again from last night, Maguire appeared to signal to De Gea to give him the ball, and I don't know if it's because Maguire is captain, and De Gea feels intimidated by him, but he gave him the ball, and unfortunately Maguire is not aware enough to play himself out of trouble. It seems to me that Maguire is attempting to show Ten Hag that he can play out from the back, which he patently cannot do when he is under pressure.
I noticed later that Maguire gave De Gea the 'talk' signal when he raced back to clear the ball and De Gea had come out to the edge of the area, it seemed to be a bit put downish to me, so I think there certainly is an agenda between De Gea and Maguire.
He gave him the ball but not where he wanted it, Maguire's is signalling for the ball he wants it Infront of him, he is on the half turn, De Gea gives him the ball behind him and forces him to check himself and end up compleatly closed off and totally in the shit.

Maguire is just fully at the defeated by De Gea stage, with very little trust in him. It will happen to Varane (the signs are already there that it is) and Martinez soon enough if they keep playing with him.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
We will find it difficult to replace him this next season. We have more pressing priorities, so I can see him as first choice for another season or 2, depending on finances and takeover situation.
Why? We should be able to get a good all-round keeper for fairly cheap. They may or may not be good enough to be our long-term #1, but they can tide us over for a year or two until we have the funds and/or the right keeper is available. If they are better at sweeping, distribution, cross claiming and hopefully make less mistakes in the big games while just being solid at shot-stopping...that's a big improvement. They don't need to be amazing or even one of the best in the league to be better for us than De Gea has been for five years now. Literally half a decade.

Yeah let's include the worst season in the premier league we've ever had to serve an agenda. 2 big Pete's wouldn't have had great stats last season FFS.

What about this season? The one that actually counts right now?

Let's put it another way, if last season we won the quad and this season we where a mess would the stats include last season? No because it doesn't serve the anti DDG agenda
The issue with that is that last season was probably De Gea's best season in the last five. He was far worse the previous three seasons, and this season his all-round game has probably been a little better but his shot-stopping has declined again. Which one of the last two you rate higher is up to you. Hell, even last season he was only particularly good for the first half of the season, then nothing but average in the second half.

Gavinb33

There was a clip in the 1st half where he clearly charged out and didnt let the defenders know he was coming no shout no nothing without that you are on a hiding to nothing.

he was at fault for or partially at fault for 3 goals last night

1. Pass to Maguire that was a feck up between them both
2. IMO that shoulder goal should have been saved, he didnt move his feet and get in position quickly enough
3. The last goal speaks for itself

As bad a goalkeeping performance you can get and not the 1st time he has dropped a shocker in a cup knockout game either, dreadful.

flameinthesun

Just gotta hope his new contract significantly reduces his wages to a backup level so we can bring in a ball playing keeper.

Mmm-Qatarian

Remember there were leaks during Ole the defenders preferred playing with Henderson
Leaks or not, the prolonged period where Henderson was in net was the most comfortable I'd seen our defence look in a long time prior to Ten Hag's arrival. I don't even think Henderson is a particularly great keeper, either.

Drizzle

We have too many quiet introverted players, and De Gea is our longest serving one.

Goalkeepers need to be loud, dominant, completely self-assured. Sadly DDG is the absolute opposite. We can get away with it with top class defenders doing his job in front of him, but put average defenders in there and we'll get punished regularly.

IIt's not about last night, although obviously that was a 1/10 performance, it's week in week out, his lack of assurance and leadership is draining the team. The poor distribution, the shrinking on his goalline when corners come in, and the straightforward shots he lets in. I'm honestly sick of it.

And no, he's no longer even an elite shot-stopper and he hasn't been for years. He has to go.

Oranges038

Leaks or not, the prolonged period where Henderson was in net was the most comfortable I'd seen our defence look in a long time prior to Ten Hag's arrival. I don't even think Henderson is a particularly great keeper, either.
Said it at the time, he's not great but was better suited to the team than DDG and but for him getting Covid he would have been kept at no.1.

People just kept pointing to the Salah goal and totally ignored how the whole team improved in every metric, more wins, more goals scored, more clean sheets, less goals conceded, less chances conceded and a much higher win %.

Francis Abernathy

I had hoped the club were dragging out the contract negotiations with him so he wouldn't down tools knowing he was being shifted out in the summer.

It was revealing that in Jose's first season, when he was under massive pressure to qualify for the CL, he went with Romero in the EL final against Ajax. If he thought DDG would have given a 1% better chance to win he would've just ignored the 'Romero plays the EL games' policy.

His replacement doesn't have to be an expensive Mr Right for the next 10yrs. A stop gap would be OK, in the same way that Les Sealey did fine for a season replacing Jim Leighton & crucially had the right kind of personality to be a United player.

buchansleftleg

He was very mentally fragile and passive when he joined us and he was toughened up by Fergie and the coaches to make him better in the Premier League. Sadly he seems to be reverting back to type and has now become an active liability to the team.

The headed goal last night wasn't some bullet header from close range where he had no chance. It was a looping header that actually came off the guys shoulder, with minimal pace. It looped and hit the crossbar and fell down into the net. It was a yard to his right and he was a yard off his line. He didn't even get close to the ball and he "leapt" like a sunday league goalkeeper after a night on the tiles. You can see Shaw is getting ready to deal with any rebound, fully expecting him to get it.

His only remaining game in a United shirt should be a testimonial at the end of the season as a goodbye present.

mckenzie79

He's finished.

All 3 goals last night were down to him. He can see the game happening infront of him, so what if Maguire was asking for the ball, if you can see infront of you that he is being closed down by 3 players don't give him the ball and pass to someone else or clear it. Players ask for the ball all game and don't get the pass if the player with the ball can see he's going to be tackled immediately. Bearing in mind he's dealing with Maguire who is not the best anyway, it was suicidal and idiotic to make that pass.

The least said about the 2nd and 3rd goals the better. His distribution has been woeful for many years and his inability to come off his line ever in any circumstances to catch a ball is one if the most infuriating things to endure when watching our games.

He's had his day and its time to move on, thanks for the memories and find yourself a new club so that we can also move on because he's become a liability sadly.

And finally, how fecking shit is Maguire, honestly? Maybe we can sell them as a bogof promotion

Steve Bruce

Very quick google reveals that there are 11 PL goalkeepers with a higher save % than him this season.

And that’s supposed to be what he’s best at, right?
Stats are fact but don't tell the story though. It is a weak argument to use stats as it's basis. If some one hits the ball straight at you 10 times and you save 5 of them and you have 50% save rate. If some one hits 10 shots in the top corners and you save 3, you have 30% save rate. But the stats column doesn't say what the type of shots saved are so on paper the keeper with 50% is better than the keeper who has 30% but in reality, the keeper with 30% face much harder to save shots.

So yeah, I'm not concerned about the stats. It's the same as the errors leading to goals stats mostly last season when a lot of them was Maguire got himself into a pickle and then passed the buck to DDG who was then under severe pressure getting a back pass he should never have got and he is the one that then gets the blame.

Stats are a great tool, but without context they are useless.

Pogue Mahone

I had hoped the club were dragging out the contract negotiations with him so he wouldn't down tools knowing he was being shifted out in the summer.

It was revealing that in Jose's first season, when he was under massive pressure to qualify for the CL, he went with Romero in the EL final against Ajax. If he thought DDG would have given a 1% better chance to win he would've just ignored the 'Romero plays the EL games' policy.

His replacement doesn't have to be an expensive Mr Right for the next 10yrs. A stop gap would be OK, in the same way that Les Sealey did fine for a season replacing Jim Leighton & crucially had the right kind of personality to be a United player.
Annoyingly, Romero gave the perfect audition to take his place. And he’s not in the very top tier. But he definitely made us a better team than the one featuring De Gea. If that’s not a huge red flag, what is?!?

Pogue Mahone

Stats are fact but don't tell the story though. It is a weak argument to use stats as it's basis. If some one hits the ball straight at you 10 times and you save 5 of them and you have 50% save rate. If some one hits 10 shots in the top corners and you save 3, you have 30% save rate. But the stats column doesn't say what the type of shots saved are so on paper the keeper with 50% is better than the keeper who has 30% but in reality, the keeper with 30% face much harder to save shots.

So yeah, I'm not concerned about the stats. It's the same as the errors leading to goals stats mostly last season when a lot of them was Maguire got himself into a pickle and then passed the buck to DDG who was then under severe pressure getting a back pass he should never have got and he is the one that then gets the blame.

You asked for stats. So I gave them. There are more complicated stats available which take into account the quality of the chance. He is, unsurprisingly, a good way below the best keepers in the league by this metric as well.

You don’t need stats to see De Gea is a huge weakness for us. But they do confirm what is obvious from watching us play.

Old Ma Crow

ETH knows DDG well and defending him post match with the "most clean sheets in the PL" is what you'd expect at this point. Damn that fax machine!

Remember this?

ForeverRed1

We should be throwing a chequebook at AC Milan for their keeper. Name ya price.

Do we want to compete? Do we want to be the best? It starts with the keeper. Time to go get a modern one.

Steve Bruce

You asked for stats. So I gave them.

You don’t need stats to see De Gea is a huge weakness for us. But they do confirm what is obvious from watching us play.
But you put no context around the stats, you just picked a stat that suited you and left it their. How many of those shots he didn't save where mistakes for instance? I don't need you to answer this, we have a difference of opinion that we'll never bridge which is fine, that's what football is all about.

DDG has weaknesses but he isn't a Huge weakness overall for us albeit I also accept that he isn't the right type of keeper for what ETH ultimately wants to do however IMO he's actually played well this season and has saved us many times this season. I accept he isn't the long term or even medium term solution but when we need 2 strikers (Main one and backup), CM (maybe 2 CM), CB and it looks like we're bringing in a RB as well in Frimpong, I just don't see how a goalkeeper supersedes any of those positions in priority right now. Summer 2024 IMO is when we should look to get a new keeper, not now as I don't think we'll have the budget and to be honest, the keepers who appear to be available do not fill me with much confidence. Hopefully we can get some sort of understanding where i'm coming from even if you don't agree.

El Jefe

Yesterday's game is whatever but what really gets to me is how it has even been a discussion to renew him.

We have the perfect chance to get rid of his contract and him as a goalkeeper and we're heavily leaning towards giving him a new deal. Baffling.

He's shown he's a goalie stuck in the previous generation and he's still not commanding with aerial box in his box.

Paddymcc

There was a clip in the 1st half where he clearly charged out and didnt let the defenders know he was coming no shout no nothing without that you are on a hiding to nothing.
I remember seeing that and thought what the hell is happening back there.

I chalked it down to rustiness between the 3 of them and lack of game time together.

Pogue Mahone

But you put no context around the stats, you just picked a stat that suited you and left it their. How many of those shots he didn't save where mistakes for instance? I don't need you to answer this, we have a difference of opinion that we'll never bridge which is fine, that's what football is all about.

DDG has weaknesses but he isn't a Huge weakness overall for us albeit I also accept that he isn't the right type of keeper for what ETH ultimately wants to do however IMO he's actually played well this season and has saved us many times this season. I accept he isn't the long term or even medium term solution but when we need 2 strikers (Main one and backup), CM (maybe 2 CM), CB and it looks like we're bringing in a RB as well in Frimpong, I just don't see how a goalkeeper supersedes any of those positions in priority right now. Summer 2024 IMO is when we should look to get a new keeper, not now as I don't think we'll have the budget and to be honest, the keepers who appear to be available do not fill me with much confidence. Hopefully we can get some sort of understanding where i'm coming from even if you don't agree.
It’s depressing that we need a new keeper as well as all the other holes we have to plug but I honestly believe that a new keeper could be the most bang for our buck. In that it will simultaneously go a long way towards fixing the chaotic defending that’s plagued us for years, significantly increase the control and composure we’ve been lacking in possession and help us pass our way through the high press. So basically all our biggest flaws can be improved with one signing.

And that’s without even getting into De Gea’s mediocre shot stopping, which directly costs us multiple points in all our recent seasons…

Baneofthegame

This makes no sense to me, if he isn't the right keeper for ETH then he is a massive problem for us, because we can't play the way the manager wants with him in the side.

This is on top of his poor distribution, lack of command of his area in crosses and sweeping and just general communication overall.

I'd rather keep AWB as right back for a year and replace Dave at this current point in time.

gajender

Yesterday's game is whatever but what really gets to me is how it has even been a discussion to renew him.

We have the perfect chance to get rid of his contract and him as a goalkeeper and we're heavily leaning towards giving him a new deal. Baffling.

He's shown he's a goalie stuck in the previous generation and he's still not commanding with aerial box in his box.
There is no generation Where De Gea limitations wouldn't have caused issues for the team .

InfiniteBoredom

Maguire largely at fault yes but de Gea also largely at fault. It's a clear pressing trap, doesn't matter who is calling for the ball, it is his responsibility to see if it's a smart pass or not, Maguire can't see who is behind him. De Gea has to see when to make that pass and when it's too risky. This one was clearly a bad choice.
As I said, we’ve played that ball all season. Of course the other team will spring pressing trap on you when you try to play out from the back, and beating those traps is how you take out players from their defensive action, that’s not an excuse to feck up a relatively simple execution. The pace on the ball was shit, yes, but Maguire should’ve opened up his body and ready to swivel as soon as he received it, his body shape was all wrong hence he couldn’t turn in time because he turns like a tanker to begin with.

The biggest problem with us in possession is our players by and large are fecking shit when it comes to those basics of the game. You watch Bayern City the other night, or Arsenal against anybody, and it becomes evident that they were massively better at playing short passes and in tight space because the players are nimble and makes the right decision like which direction you pass the ball into, how to position your body on the half turn to take the ball and run with it. We resort to long balls to our CF and wide forwards all the time because whenever we’re pressed, the backline and midfield lack the confidence to stick it to the ground as they know they are bad at it and will feck up.

Sylar

Whats everybody talking about? Me, @Oranges038 and @JB7 have agendas for wanting better for United than one specific player.

Sigh.....

TBH, I was going to rate that performance but it would just be a repeat of everything thats already been said all season or for the past few years, that his defenders turn a blind eye to because he made a save that 'only he makes' despite evidence showing thats not the case.

DDG has only lasted as long as he has because of the ever changing managers and each one thinking 'hey, he used to be good'. Barthez was ridiculed but was his low moments as bad or worse than DDG for us?

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I really think to play Ten Hag's football, we need a new goal keeper. DDG has been brilliant for us, I will not disrespect him but his time at this club should be up.

I get he makes world class saves but he puts us under immense pressure in games. Having DDG in away games where the crowd are up, then him being pressed and misplacing passes gets the crowd up, which gets the players up and all in all causes us alot of pressure in a game.

Then from that pressure, we concede set plays, in which he is poor at and we just can't get out.

I am sorry to say this but, DDG needs to be replaced.
I feel the same. Most of us watched him "grow up" and willed him on after his struggles early on. But he really needs to be replaced.

Red_toad

Just gotta hope his new contract significantly reduces his wages to a backup level so we can bring in a ball playing keeper.
He’ll only stay if he’s pretty much guaranteed to play And on similar money. His wife and child live in Spain, I’d say he’s going home if he can find a new club there. He knows he’ll not get the same money anywhere else, so I think all the contract talk is hot air on his behalf so he doesn’t create issues with the fan base.

Bondi77

Has he tweeted an apology yet?
I hope not...the player apologies I find quite sickening as a fan.
There is never any reason why a player at Manchester united should not give 100% in every game and if they do that there is nothing to apologise for..if it is not good enough then they should not be at the club.

Last edited:

flameinthesun

He’ll only stay if he’s pretty much guaranteed to play And on similar money. His wife and child live in Spain, I’d say he’s going home if he can find a new club there. He knows he’ll not get the same money anywhere else, so I think all the contract talk is hot air on his behalf so he doesn’t create issues with the fan base.
Maybe, the thing is I don't there would be any issue if at the end of the season David said he wanted to go back to Spain. I think the fanbase would actually be fine with it, he is no longer an integral must keep player and we all know he needs to be replaced.

Oranges038

Whats everybody talking about? Me, @Oranges038 and @JB7 have agendas for wanting better for United than one specific player.

Sigh.....

TBH, I was going to rate that performance but it would just be a repeat of everything thats already been said all season or for the past few years, that his defenders turn a blind eye to because he made a save that 'only he makes' despite evidence showing thats not the case.

DDG has only lasted as long as he has because of the ever changing managers and each one thinking 'hey, he used to be good'. Barthez was ridiculed but was his low moments as bad or worse than DDG for us?
The pile on is something alright.

An extremely poor outting from him, it might actually just wake people up to how much his skillset and style is just bad for the team overall.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
You asked for stats. So I gave them. There are more complicated stats available which take into account the quality of the chance. He is, unsurprisingly, a good way below the best keepers in the league by this metric as well.
They’re shit as well though. You only have to watch other teams to see their keepers aren’t actually any better at shot stopping despite what the stats say. Some of them have also made blunders very similar to what De Gea made last night, multiple times recently too.

It was an awful, indefensible performance, but finding a keeper is going to be very difficult.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I can’t believe I’m still seeing posts saying people have an anti De Gea agenda. :lol:
He’s no longer good enough, he hasn’t been for multiple seasons. His shot stopping isn’t what it used to be and that was his main selling point. We have a chance to let him go in the summer, if we give him a new deal on reduced wages the same conversations will continue next season.

Tony Clifton

How things have come full circle. My clearest memory of De Gea starting to let us down first begun against Sevilla actually, during CL 2018 in the second leg at Old Trafford. And that was a "regular" goalkeeping error. By regular I mean through handling rather than kicking. Really weak shite of him to concede that goal and he has conceded similar ones since then too. You can remind yourself of that particular goal at 2:36 here:

His last great performance was away against Arsenal in late 2017 and I have been banging on that drum for a few years now, here and there. His steady decline started a couple of months after that monster match — in that first loss against Sevilla — and it has continued in various performances from then on. And it took off for real after his clanger for Spain against Portugal in WC 2018 and all but finished his national team duties. Regarding us though, he has let us down more than he has bailed us out now during at least 5 seasons…and counting:

Please get rid, it is ridiculously overdue.

Abraxas

There is plenty of context. It's you that is deliberately taking a made up stat and placing it in a ridiculous context to try and diminish the notion of using them with this '10 shots' idea. Which I'm sure you know is not how the actual stats are derived.

The stats over a large sample size, which may be a season or even better a number of seasons are pretty conclusive on the fact he is not best in class or even close to it across a number of goalkeeping functions. You can choose to ignore it of course but they're there and they tell a story.

Status
Not open for further replies.