Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Agreed. On top of that it shows a complete lack of strategy. We knew his limitations style wise when we offered the contract - De Gea hasn’t changed but in a few months apparently the profile we want has changed. It doesn’t paint a good picture of clear decision making behind the scenes.
Exactly, offering a contract, it being agreed to by the player, and then withdrawing it and offering less money smacks of incredibly sh**e planning. Clueless.

prateik

He is on obscene wages and shouldnt be starting for us.

Not the best way to do it, but its the right thing to do.. better than having him sign a new 4 year deal on ~200k/week .

Apokalips

I wonder whether the Sevilla games sealed his fate and Erik made it clear he could not be the number 1 next season.

gajender

I dont know why we offered him the contract if we were not sure. And then change it after he signed it. I mean completely unprofessional and amateurish.
Well if we take everything at face value then its a absolute shitshow but what I don't understand is if De Gea believes he is being done dirty by United's
management then why is He still in Discussion for renewal doesn't make sense at all .

PSV

The fact that not a single club has approach him when he's been free to negotiate since january speaks a lot of how much he's fallen.
To be fair though; name me the clubs with 375k/w+ GK budgets out there.

Nogbadthebad

He is on obscene wages and shouldnt be starting for us.

Not the best way to do it, but its the right thing to do.. better than having him sign a new 4 year deal on ~200k/week .
What do you think that will do to our image with any player thinking about signing with us?

There are professional standards that should be the least anyone dealing with the club could expect, and this is so far below them that it is barely beleiveable.

redcucumber

Christ, I thought we had turned a corner from the Judge-Woodward shitshow when it came to contracts.

When was the initial new contract offered? Do we think ten Hag has had a change of heart? It's all a bit of a mess.

izec

Well if we take everything at face value then its a absolute shitshow but what I don't understand is if De Gea believes he is being done dirty by United's
management then why is He still in Discussion for renewal doesn't make sense at all .
He has no better offers in Europe. Probably only Saudi

prateik

The idiots negotiating have worked to DDGs benefit as well.. these clowns gave him a 375k/week contract.
I dont feel bad for him.. or our contract offer..

What sucks is he didnt get a farewell which he deserves.. has had several great seasons..

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
This is not great but it sounds like the correct decision (even lower than we had offered) gone about in the wrong way. I think best for both if he leaves long term but I wouldn't say no to him being a back up on a much lower wage.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If true as reported, that's very poor form on our part.

Whatever about his current limitations, a player who has been at the club as long as De Gea should be treated with more respect than to be offered a contract on lower pay, agree to it, then have that contract withdrawn and have another one on even lower pay offered in its place. Anyone in any job would feel slighted if their employers treated them like that.

If the club actually wants to keep him then dicking about with the contract like that doesn't help their cause at all. They should have been clear on their plans for the position before they made the first offer. Aside from being quite disrespectful towards the player, it does't suggest rigorous planning on their part.

And if they don't want to keep him (which they shouldn't) then that should have been made clear to him by now in straightforward terms, with no contract offer on the table.

prateik

What do you think that will do to our image with any player thinking about signing with us?

There are professional standards that should be the least anyone dealing with the club could expect, and this is so far below them that it is barely beleiveable.
Nothing.
Clubs run media campaigns against players to try and force them out.. players are happy to sign for those clubs..
We are very good with our players.. maybe too good at times..

I agree DDG should have been treated better.. but we already know the people in charge are clowns..
He'll be fine.. and more importantly, its the right call. so I can live with it.

flappyjay

Keep telling you Murtough, Woodward are cut from the same cloth. Horrible at their primary jobs and now looks murtough also lacks class like woody.

binary bot
The fact we were offering him a new contract in the first place says it all

stu_1992

Look I think we'd all agree the club needs to be a bit more ruthless with moving people on when they're time has come. But that whole situation, if true, is just a shocking way of treating people. Really poor stuff.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
If true as reported, that's very poor form on our part.

Whatever about his current limitations, a player who has been at the club as long as De Gea should be treated with more respect than to be offered a contract on lower pay, agree to it, then have that contract withdrawn and have another one on even lower pay offered in its place.

If the club actually wants to keep him then dicking about with the contract like that doesn't help their cause at all. They should have been clear on their plans for the position before they made the first offer. Aside from being quite disrespectful towards the player, it does't suggest rigorous vision on their part.

And if they don't want to keep him (which they shouldn't) then that should have been made clear to him by now in straightforward terms, with no contract offer on the table.
Yeah that's not good, especially with there being so many intentional leaks from the club basically saying they want him to sign a new deal but just can't guarantee him the #1 spot - which paints them as the good guys respecting a club legend, but in reality it sounds like they fecked him over.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Is that the right way to handle it, of course not. But I can´t say that I mind if we start actually being a bit ruthless, even if it is against a player that has been here for a long time. He should never have been offered an extension at all.
Agreed.

Move him on and build towards evolving the team. He's benefited greatly from being the United #1 for many years and we haven't evolved as a team with our rivals going from strength to strength. The Spanish FA along with Luis Enrique showed him even less respect by congratulating him on his retirement when he hadn't even said he was retiring.

In a ideal situation it would've been great to part ways in a more amicable way but under the Glazers with uncertainty surrounding budgets, things like this were a possibility. But the correct decision is to remove him and for me they've made the correct decision for the benefit of the team going forward.

gajender

He has no better offers in Europe. Probably only Saudi
It should be matter of Principle as well as Pride and by the sound of it New Contract seems like a Back Up keeper one with De Gea possibly getting slightly inflated wages offer due to his status with United .

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Something is really odd here right now. Feels like we are kicking the can down the road from making any financial outgoing decisions. Hopefully a sign the bloodsuckers are moving on. Hard not to feel for DDG here, he deserves better.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Don’t really care, he was more than happy to feck off to Madrid when the chance came.

He’s overstayed his welcome here by at least 3 years, he should be grateful he hasn’t been benched for that whole time.

Andersonson

The club doesnt seem very professional, at all. Its shitty treatment but also very weird behaviour from a so called top club. Rate him or not, this is not how our club should do things.

Embarrassing

SAFMUTD

To be fair though; name me the clubs with 375k/w+ GK budgets out there.
I can't think of any single one. But certainly if they going to spend that much on a GK it's not going to be on DDG.

Those wages were ridiculous 4 years ago and are ridiculous today. I don't think De Gea is even looking at 200K per week at this point. I'm guessing he's being offered around 150K which is way more that he'd get anywhere else.

Let's pretend we don't sign him, where do you imagine he'll end up playing? Can you imagine him on any of the top 6? Or the top clubs in Spain, Germany or Italy? I think he'll had to settle for mid table and then 100K start looking damn good as no medium team will pay more than that for a GK.

Mainoldo

You got Vidic and Rio giggling they didn’t have Ed Woodward in charge handing out contracts.

Stop acting like these players care when it comes to wages.

Think we've done him a bit dirty all things considered, even if we need to move on. This all feels like it's because we don't know what to do with our summer budget and the takeover.

Quite frankly though it sounds like we want him on a 2nd goalkeeper type of contract
This is no way to treat any player. Regardless of whether you want DDG to stay or leave this, if true, is a totally unprofessional way for the club to behave.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Just such an ugly situation. He's been here for 12 years. You would think we could handle this better.

Roario

Nothing story. De Gea was probably offered a reduced wage as a starting gk. Ten Hag saw that he could not hack it anymore and told the board he needed a new keeper. The board now offers a contract more suitable for a backup keeper.

Lyng

Embarrasing from the club. I want us to move on from Dave but handing him a contract and then backing out after he signs is so amateurish business behaviour its insane.
There is no defending this

Witchking

What's defined as a drastic reduction from 325k? I would guess 250k which doesn't seem to be a drastic reduction, with United looking for a replacement, they wanted to pay a 2nd choice GK salary and probably asked him to sign a 150k contract which looks dodgy and unprofessional. But since 2013 United have been unpredictable and unprofessional in everything we do.

Anyway, De Gea has to go, we currently are in this state only because of players like him, Maguire,mctominay who have dragged us to a very low level while getting paid handsomely.

Hopefully he gets a new club but I do not want him to sign a new contract at United.

RuudTom83

I would guess, around the mid-way point of the season United/EtH were ok with renewing DDG as the no.1 on reduced terms (to fit the new more controlled wage structure).

But as the season progressed his performances made them question his place even more and new terms were spoken about.

Almost like going from no.1 GK on reduced wages...to no.2 GK on even further reduced wages.

macheda14

This is either very unprofessional OR this was the deal that we put on the table MONTHS ago and have since changed the thinking on keeping him. What else do the naysayers propose we do here? Just stick to the proposal we made when he was likely to still be number 1 regardless of his erratic performances?

Mmm-Qatarian

Nothing story. De Gea was probably offered a reduced wage as a starting gk. Ten Hag saw that he could not hack it anymore and told the board he needed a new keeper. The board now offers a contract more suitable for a backup keeper.
I think this is almost definitely what happened. A load of people won't want to admit it because it implicates Ten Hag as well, but I'm convinced that he just changed his mind on De Gea being sufficient as the number one and we changed the contract offer accordingly.

It's a shite thing to do, don't get me wrong, but we really do need to move on from him at this point.

Mainoldo

This just shows we mostly have no idea what we're doing.
Shows we are running with abit more common sense. What foolish club gives DDG more than £120k a week.

Time for us to stop being stupid.

Remember the geese

It's not really nothing though. It shows poor planning from the club and a lack of integrity.

Status
Not open for further replies.