David Moyes West Ham Manager (Again) | European Champion

Lee565

The premier league is his bread and butter and he can do a good job over the long term building but let's be honest he is not on the level of a klopp, conte, pep, tuchel or potchettino and even mourinho.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Said he'd be capable of doing the same thing he did at Everton again at a similar level club if given a little time while he was condemned and derided to hell. Some jobs are a hiding to nothing like Sunderland or his trip to Spain
to be fair to moyesy, sociedad only gave him what? uno, dos, tres, cuatro months to get it right?

LawmanMan

What condescending s*** - he’s “found his level.” He’s just outcoached the current European champion and has West Ham in fourth place while topping their Europa League group!

RedorDead21

What condescending s*** - he’s “found his level.” He’s just outcoached the current European champion and has West Ham in fourth place while topping their Europa League group!
there was a period with Ole when we beat PSG away you could have said similar. Moyes is a capable manager…but so was Martin O’Neil and tens of others

LawmanMan

Done well on the whole against last season's top 7 so far:

Wins:
4-1 v Leicester City (h)
1-0 v Tottenham Hotspur (h)
3-2 v Liverpool (h)
3-2 v Chelsea (h)

Losses:
2-1 v Man Utd (h)
2-1 v Man City (a)

Second half of the season though they're going to be away a lot.
And they were unlucky against us as well. Man City could have even been a draw had they got the rub of the green.

LawmanMan

there was a period with Ole when we beat PSG away you could have said similar. Moyes is a capable manager…but so was Martin O’Neil and tens of others
Moyes is leagues above Ole. Just look at their careers. And people forget how good O’Neill was for much of his career. But Moyes was better, as is demonstrated by the fact he finished above O’Neill’s Villa after they spent an absolute fortune on players as they tried to get top four.

Gfooty

Always said, given time , things would have worked out.
Given enough time he would've relegated United.

Moyes just works better in the underdog team/role. Once people expect him to win is where things go bad

KeanoMagicHat

You can do a terrible job somewhere and not be a terrible manager. I’m sure lots of people have been at jobs where you went somewhere and it was a disaster. It doesn’t make you terrible at your job. I think that’s the case with Moyes. It doesn’t change the bad job he did here, but there’s more than enough evidence he’s a very good manager.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Good to see that he's finally starting to get hold of the bigger games a bit more, that was always his Achilles heel at Everton, he was abysmal in the big games. I'm still not convinced he's a top Manager though, he's one of those semi decent ones who can do a good job at a club with less pressure and less expectations.

Scottynaldinho

Yes he was never good enough to be at Man Utd but I never understood the animosity towards him, still receiving dog's abuse by some of our fans. I saw comments that he should retire and just enjoy his payout from his sacking at Man Utd. A lot of us thought he's finished as a manager. Looked like he aged 10 years in a few months.

Let's just see it as it is. A hard working man, after failing at a huge club, not to say he achieved nothing before getting the job, picks himself again and is doing a splendid job with very few resources.

How can you not he happy for this man (if you have basic human decency of course).

Kaos

Yes he was never good enough to be at Man Utd but I never understood the animosity towards him, still receiving dog's abuse by some of our fans. I saw comments that he should retire and just enjoy his payout from his sacking at Man Utd. A lot of us thought he's finished as a manager. Looked like he aged 10 years in a few months.

Let's just see it as it is. A hard working man, after failing at a huge club, not to say he achieved nothing before getting the job, picks himself again and is doing a splendid job with very few resources.

How can you not he happy for this man (if you have basic human decency of course).
I think a few fans found his complaining about not being given enough time a little irritating, especially after foregoing advice on keeping some of the old backroom staff and just ditching everyone to bring in his Everton team.

To be fair to him he has come across a more humble figure in recent years, admitting he hadn't done a good enough job at his first and only season at United.

I personally hope he does well, the abuse he's been getting from Everton fans has been more shocking tbh, nice to see them dangling above the relegation zone while he's in a top 4 battle.

Dante

Average bang
The premier league is his bread and butter and he can do a good job over the long term building but let's be honest he is not on the level of a klopp, conte, pep, tuchel or potchettino and even mourinho.
In terms of tactical awareness and football knowledge, he is.

Where Moyes falls short is his celebrity status and coolness factor. He can't convince a dressing room full of massive egos and prima donnas who used to be the most popular kids in school that he's the main man they should be looking up to.

Football management isn't like in the video games. It's not simply about having the right brain. It's mostly about projecting the right image. The rest comes down to competent spending and clever coaching - though the big names aren't exactly unique in having that. But even those same big names fail eventually when their squads get tired of old coaching methods and the original charm of the manager's charisma fades (which is exactly what happened to Klopp and Tuchel at Dortmund, Pochettino at Spurs and Mourinho everywhere).

Moyes can go toe to toe with any of them on purely football terms. It's his lack of a 'baller' reputation that precedes him. That's why it's so difficult for a managers to make make it in England unless they've previously made it in another country. It's too competitive in the PL for anybody to build a reputation at the top... without already proving themselves at the top. They're stuck in a catch 22.

If Moyes had done his current job with a German, Dutch, French or Italian team, he would have probably won a few cups or maybe even leagues there. And then if he'd moved to United afterwards, he'd have been much more accepted by the players and fans. Kind of like what happening right now with Ralf Ragnick.

Tarrou

I wonder if a bigger club will ever take a ping on him again

Probably not but he’s done a fantastic job at west ham

Dante

Average bang
I wonder if a bigger club will ever take a ping on him again

Probably not but he’s done a fantastic job at west ham
I think he has too many memes floating about on the internet, and too much of a tarnished reputation from his failure at United.

When you think of failure at a big club, the first name that comes to mind is 'David Moyes'. I don't think that's ever going to go away, unfortunately.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

I personally hope he does well, the abuse he's been getting from Everton fans has been more shocking tbh, nice to see them dangling above the relegation zone while he's in a top 4 battle.
They've always had a chip on their shoulder about him. Although I think his silly offer for Fellaini and Baines didn't go over well at the time.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I blame the board incompetence more than I'll ever blame Moyes, or any manager, for the state of United's decline.

And to think, the United management were so over confident of a smooth transition from SAF onwards and how we wont do a 'Liverpool'. Arrogant tw*ts.

el3mel

The guy is a very good manager. He just came at United at the wrong time. The mission was impossible back then imo.

Yes, I hated him and wanted him sacked back then, but the more time passes, the more I think he didn't get half the chance and time other managers after him got. The squad he inherited were champions alright, but anyone who thinks it didn't need a lot of work for the future after SAF retired are kidding themselves, and following a legendary manager as SAF was an impossible mission.

Part of me is glad he has made a great comeback to his career and is now getting praised everywhere. He deserves it. He's a very good manager and also comes around as a decent person.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
For me the thing with Moyes was more to do with how fans viewed United the year after SAF.

Many fans thought we were perfect and should win stuff like we always did just because SAF did it. Even that was arguably just through buying RVP.

Fast forward a decade later and no one has done it.

I think some of our fans view of United has turned more realistic and Moyes would have done better coming in afterwards rather than the first manager ever to replace SAF.

jeff_goldblum

Moyes always was a good Premier League manager, but the manager of Manchester United is possibly the most scrutinised individual in European football. Tactical ability and football knowledge is only ever part of what is required to succeed here. Half the battle is being able to handle the scrutiny and, crucially, the ability to convince the media, the fans, the opposition and our own players that you have what it takes to succeed. The psychological element of football is more crucial than most give it credit for and Moyes was likely doomed from the start here purely because he didn't have the credentials, the gravitas or the charisma to convince people (especially the title winners in the squad he inherited) the he was the right guy for the job

Kaos

They've always had a chip on their shoulder about him. Although I think his silly offer for Fellaini and Baines didn't go over well at the time.
That was more Woodward doing Woodward things wasn't it?

Though I do seem to recall Moyes promising he wouldn't raid Everton for players after becoming United manager.....only to put Fellaini and Baines at the top of his shopping list :lol:

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Where Moyes falls short is his celebrity status and coolness factor. He can't convince a dressing room full of massive egos and prima donnas who used to be the most popular kids in school that he's the main man they should be looking up to.

Football management isn't like in the video games. It's not simply about having the right brain. It's mostly about projecting the right image. The rest comes down to competent spending and clever coaching - though the big names aren't exactly unique in having that. But even those same big names fail eventually when their squads get tired of old coaching methods and the original charm of the manager's charisma fades (which is exactly what happened to Klopp and Tuchel at Dortmund, Pochettino at Spurs and Mourinho everywhere).

Moyes can go toe to toe with any of them on purely football terms. It's his lack of a 'baller' reputation that precedes him. That's why it's so difficult for a managers to make make it in England unless they've previously made it in another country. It's too competitive in the PL for anybody to build a reputation at the top... without already proving themselves at the top. They're stuck in a catch 22.

If Moyes had done his current job with a German, Dutch, French or Italian team, he would have probably won a few cups or maybe even leagues there. And then if he'd moved to United afterwards, he'd have been much more accepted by the players and fans. Kind of like what happening right now with Ralf Ragnick.
I get what you are saying about image but you can’t possibly believe he is on a similar level to Pep, Klopp and Tuchel tactically?

They are CL winning managers who get the jobs at the top teams for a reason. They have a much higher understanding of the game tactically and of what motivates players.

He is doing a good job, but this is hyperbole.

Those three don’t have failures in their CV, just constant progression to the top and winning the biggest prizes. You don’t get that by just image alone. You create your own image by being a winner.

The Dane

The guy is a very good manager. He just came at United at the wrong time. The mission was impossible back then imo.

Yes, I hated him and wanted him sacked back then, but the more time passes, the more I think he didn't get half the chance and time other managers after him got. The squad he inherited were champions alright, but anyone who thinks it didn't need a lot of work for the future after SAF retired are kidding themselves, and following a legendary manager as SAF was an impossible mission.

Part of me is glad he has made a great comeback to his career and is now getting praised everywhere. He deserves it. He's a very good manager and also comes around as a decent person.
Totally agree. In hindsight I don’t think anyone could have taken over from SAF and the squad he left to his predecessor and have any kind of success in the first couple of seasons.
Moyes had to build up his career from scratch after United and for him to be where he is now you can only respect and applaud.

Dante

Average bang
I get what you are saying about image but you can’t possibly believe he is on a similar level to Pep, Klopp and Tuchel tactically?

They are CL winning managers who get the jobs at the top teams for a reason. They have a much higher understanding of the game tactically and of what motivates players.

He is doing a good job, but this is hyperbole.

Those three don’t have failures in their CV, just constant progression to the top and winning the biggest prizes. You don’t get that by just image alone. You create your own image by being a winner.
Yes. The most important part of management is getting a team of players to play better than the sum of their parts.

Pep, Klopp and Tuchel can all make world class sides out of world class players. But it's not like they're performing miracles to get there. It's a marketing ploy as much as anything. The key to their success is that they all have a recognisable style of play which gets hipsters on twitter and blowhards in the press excited. Their media profiles are then effectively USPs which are being marketed to the players they're coaching.

Obviously, there's a big difference between competent management and incompetent management. But I'm not arguing about that distinction. I'm saying that Moyes is one of those competent managers who's capable of adding 15% to any squad he manages. And that's a figure that's comparable to what Pep, Klopp and Tuchel can achieve. It's simply that in order to get there, they first had to get the players to buy into the projects they were building. Which is something Moyes was never able to do at Old Trafford, and will probably never be able to do at any mega club in the future.

That's the thing that makes me so hopeful about Rangnick now. The fanfare and the mythologising he's been generating is unreal. But it's also brilliant from a United point-of-view. The players are going to be willing to run through brick walls for him now, and the self-belief in the dressing room will be through the roof before he even takes his first training session.

It's like comparing two tech geniuses who can match each other on intelligence and innovativeness. But only the one with the winning personality is going to become Steve Jobs. The other will get a decent executive job and only be praised by industry insiders.

arthurka

Top man and a brilliant manager.
What a team he has built, full of personality and resolve.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Ah if I could be petty enough to find all who ridiculed me for defending moyes.

This manager got 7 months when Ole got 3 years. Football I tell ya.

AndySmith1990

He's doing an excellent job. West Ham are a really solid and well balanced team, and they play decent football. Fair play to him.

It was always utter nonsense to paint him out to be a nothing manager, and whenever I've heard people suggest Solskjaer is better than him I've just shook my head in disbelief.