Day 19: Morocco vs Portugal | England vs France (QF 3&4)

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
Why do people keep writing posts like these when we've seen Morocco in this very tournament beat Belgium, Spain and Portugal.
Right?? They haven't conceded a single goal aside if that own goal and people think they'll be pushovers. Madness! Morocco would be the last team I would want to face. Can't get past 'em and they got ice in their veins during pens and their sick goalie as well.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Another overrated player along with Felix, Dias, Silva etc.

We will win nothing with this current crop of Benfica academy players.

When we won vast majority came from Sporting academy. Now we will see what these players are made of.
Bias much :)! Don't think it was the quality of the players.

Mentally Portugal weren't strong enough after conceding. It was a gutless performance. Similar to what usually happens to England in tournament football...

Guess we'll see about if it's the same this time.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Same here. I remember the Euro 2004 CR17, with plasters covering his earrings and his slick hairstyle. The speedy step overs and the pace! That's what got me into football and I've grown up watching Ronaldo win every single thing there is to win. It was crazy seeing his raw emotional side, and unfortunate its seen often on international duty.
We still an Euro and at a lesser scale the Nations League. It was the most successful period of our National team and Ronaldo was the driving force. I thank him alot for that. For me he's the best portuguese player ever. I don't consider him the GOAT to be honest.

I miss the days of Figo, Rui Costa, Ricardo Carvalho. These were real gentlemen and our football was exciting and full of flair.

This is not a go at United fans, it's more in relation to the Ronaldo mistreatment in Portugal driven by Benfica fueled Media. Now I'll confortably sit and see what Seixal Benfica Academy will show us.

It's not just the competitions. Ronaldo saved us plenty of times during qualification. This new batch of players are too weak mentally. I truly believe we will have a desert crossing in our National team now.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Bias much :)! Don't think it was the quality of the players.

Mentally Portugal weren't strong enough after conceding. It was a gutless performance. Similar to what usually happens to England in tournament football...

Guess we'll see about if it's the same this time.
It's not bias. It's facts. When we won the Euro about 80% of players were made at Sporting. I'll gladly be wrong but I don't believe this generation can hack it

Moriarty

We still an Euro and at a lesser scale the Nations League. It was the most successful period of our National team and Ronaldo was the driving force. I thank him alot for that. For me he's the best portuguese player ever. I don't consider him the GOAT to be honest.
Better than Eusebio?

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Oh yeah they're World Champions - silly me for not taking ITV pundits seriously. Souness was picking his words very carefully but he knew.
No team making it to the last 4 is rubbish. Especially when you consider the teams they had to beat to get there without conceding a single goal other than an own one.

Get off your high horse.

justsomebloke

Frankly it'd be easier to feel happy for Morocco if their supporters didn't act like such complete wankers - booing the opposition at full blast for 90 minutes every time they touch the ball, for no other reason than being the opposition. If everyone did this, football would be unbearable to watch.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
I miss the days of Figo, Rui Costa, Ricardo Carvalho. These were real gentlemen and our football was exciting and full of flair.
You have got to be the only person on this planet that would describe Figo as a 'real gentleman'. He was full of flair though!

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Better than Eusebio?
Yes. He's finished now but what he achieved for us was truly incredible. We are a small country and he gave us self-esteem and pride. I'm not even talking just about our National team. He was top scorer in England, Italy and Spain. Won multiple Ballon d'or and all top competitions bar the World Cup. It's time to retire now. Quit the antics and retire with dignity. Let the new blood take control now.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
A lot will of course be said about how they can handle Mbappe, but Dembele running at Shaw and Maguire must be absolutely terrifying for England.

Dazzmondo

When we won vast majority came from Sporting academy. Now we will see what these players are made of.
No bias there :lol:

eire-red

They've lost half of their defense though which was their greatest strength. Still an incredible achievement and who knows? England would be a better match for them than France.
Either would be a massive test to them. I feel both England and France have many different strings to their bow, unlike those Morocco have faced so far.

I think the winner of tonight's game will win the tournament. I fancied France because they have Mbappe, that genuine world class attacking quality that the other teams can't quite match.

Funny thing is, if either England or France get past Morocco, it would be a good game in prep for the final because I think it would he similar in regards to the challenges they'll face against the ultimate finalists. Both Argentina and Croatia are rock solid and dogged to the last.

Against Argentina, you also have the mental test of keeping your cool against their shenanigans.

GinobiliTheGOAT

Either would be a massive test to them. I feel both England and France have many different strings to their bow, unlike those Morocco have faced so far.

I think the winner of tonight's game will win the tournament. I fancied France because they have Mbappe, that genuine world class attacking quality that the other teams can't quite match.

Funny thing is, if either England or France get past Morocco, it would be a good game in prep for the final because I think it would he similar in regards to the challenges they'll face against the ultimate finalists. Both Argentina and Croatia are rock solid and dogged to the last.

Against Argentina, you also have the mental test of keeping your cool against their shenanigans.
ehh their “shenanigans” only happened in the Dutch match, zero of it in prior matches this WC

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
No bias there :lol:
Facts. I'll gladly change opinion when these players win something. I really wish Ronaldo retires so we can see what they do. I'll be here to judge. I hope you buy Felix and we watch him evolve here together

Moriarty

Yes. He's finished now but what he achieved for us was truly incredible. We are a small country and he gave us self-esteem and pride. I'm not even talking just about our National team. He was top scorer in England, Italy and Spain. Won multiple Ballon d'or and all top competitions bar the World Cup. It's time to retire now. Quit the antics and retire with dignity. Let the new blood take control now.
Fair enough, but for me, Eusebio will always stand out as the greatest Portuguese player, not only for his ability, but for his humility. He was loved wherever he went. Ronnie not so much but I get what you mean (and he did play for Benfica).

Leeuw

Supports
Sporting CP

This is karma to santos who is a bad coach but was lucky at euro2016. He kept too long to the players who gave him that throphy and then he got the complaint that he didn't build a new team with some old and some young players.

And then out of a sudden he changed Patricio for Costa (both good keepers) and said that he put in a younger player but the press and everybody was talking about moutinho's maybe even Pepe Ronaldo' too make a point. Portugal lost to Belgium with an error of the goalie at the EC and now with an error of the goalie at the WC but Portugal gave 2 times a half time advance to the other team.

Poor coach that can't read a game and put in the players to win it if things aren't going well. Felix today was one of the players who was totally out of the game and he played the whole game. At the end they were throwing long balls from the middle of the pitch instead of the corners. Easy to defend for Marocco.

I always think santos is a friend of jorge mendes and that he uses portugal team to get players in the picture. Neves and Felix need transfers and so they play.

Reactions: Sly

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Why? Shaw is fantastic .
He can be, but he can also get lost positionally against better sides and spend most of the game tucked in as a third CB. I can see Griezmann drifting over to that side a lot and him and Dembele tying them in knots.

Moriarty

He can be, but he can also get lost positionally against better sides and spend most of the game tucked in as a third CB. I can see Griezmann drifting over to that side a lot and him and Dembele tying them in knots.
Griezmann is playing well. He will be a handful.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
You have got to be the only person on this planet that would describe Figo as a 'real gentleman'. He was full of flair though!
I don't care about the Real VS Barcelona period. I'm talking about his national team career. He was an incredible player, captain and widely respected in our country. In portuguese we say that he was a "senhor" translated to sir or gentlemen. I don't care about Barcelona shenanigans

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
Frankly it'd be easier to feel happy for Morocco if their supporters didn't act like such complete wankers - booing the opposition at full blast for 90 minutes every time they touch the ball, for no other reason than being the opposition. If everyone did this, football would be unbearable to watch.
Didn't they invade eachother for over 300 years straight? Probably just a rivalry or pride thing. I love it. It's either that or a completely dead atmosphere since all the Senegalese and Ghanaian drummers have gone home.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
This is karma to santos who is a bad coach but was lucky at euro2016. He kept too long to the players who gave him that throphy and then he got the complaint that he didn't build a new team with some old and some young players.

And then out of a sudden he changed Patricio for Costa (both good keepers) and said that he put in a younger player but the press and everybody was talking about moutinho's maybe even Pepe Ronaldo' too make a point. Portugal lost to Belgium with an error of the goalie at the EC and now with an error of the goalie at the WC but Portugal gave 2 times a half time advance to the other team.

Poor coach that can't read a game and put in the players to win it if things aren't going well. Felix today was one of the players who was totally out of the game and he played the whole game. At the end they were throwing long balls from the middle of the pitch instead of the corners. Easy to defend for Marocco.

I always think santos is a friend of jorge mendes and that he uses portugal team to get players in the picture. Neves and Felix need transfers and so they play.
Good and well informed post

Kopral Jono

Absolutely. Barring another Morocco masterclass the winner of this game will be well up for it whoever they face in the final. As to whether Morocco can do it again: I don't know why but my gut feeling is they could cause an almighty upset against France but will stumble if they meet England.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City

Undoubtedly but I think England would face the same problems Spain, Belgium, Croatia and Portugal (talk about giant slayers) had against Morocco, should they beat France. They're not able to break a good team defending in a low block, not under Southgate, and they don't have that X factor like France in Mbappé. Morocco's only problem is injuries and fatigue. The last two games took a real toll on them.

Both have weaknesses that France and England can easily exploit. Croatia can't score a goal to save their lives despite their excellent midfield and defense. They also had two games go all the way to the penalties which will play a major role in their fitness. Argentina are very reliant on Messi in terms of chance creation. Mark him out and their attack crumbles. They have no finisher and defense is also nothing worth of note. Last point, their game management against Netherlands was simply awful and they added unnecessary 30 minutes because of that.

Last edited:

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
I don't care about the Real VS Barcelona period. I'm talking about his national team career. He was an incredible player, captain and widely respected in our country. In portuguese we say that he was a "senhor" translated to sir or gentlemen. I don't care about Barcelona shenanigans
I was just messing with you anyways, I like Figo. Except in 2004 against us. He was far from a senhor then, the bastard.

El Presidente

Facts. I'll gladly change opinion when these players win something. I really wish Ronaldo retires so we can see what they do. I'll be here to judge. I hope you buy Felix and we watch him evolve here together
Who are “these” players exactly because Ronaldo has been playing with them for 20 years. How are they supposed to win something without him when he’s always there.