Day 7: Portugal vs Morocco, Uruguay vs Saudi Arabia and Iran vs Spain

Hamnat

Portugal have a lot to talk about at the half. To be fair Ronaldo could have had an assist too with the second best chance in the half with his pass.
That defense and midfield though getting destroyed and looking desperate at times. They would have been punished if Morocco could actually finish.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Think you missed the sentiment....to me she sounded far too enthusiastic about EVERYTHING. Only my opinion but much better now I have 5 live commentary
Fair enough.

When someone says it seems the first football match someone has seen I don't think excitement, I think lack of knowledge.

But if that's what you meant fair dues, I don't think she sounded overly enthusiastic but we are used to some of the most banal men in existence commentating.

fellaini's barber

Portugal have never had an even remotely decent striker in the last two decades, even when they had an amazing squad the striker was always trash. Last one I remember was Pauletta or something, absolute dross

cyberman

Jenas has the great ability to sound intelligent without really adding anything to the analysis.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Guerreiro is a complete defensive liability, Morocco don't even attempt to attack through our right side, they just get the ball near Guerreiro and they can get a chance.

We're not playing badly besides that, it would help if the ref started giving yellow cards so we can actually break on the counter without getting foul after foul. Morocco are playing very well, it's ridiculous how much energy they have. We can't win any second balls.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Portugal are way too reliant on Ronaldo, it's a good thing he's clinical.

Morroco are bypassing their fullbacks and midfield for fun and they can't hold onto ball for longer than 10 seconds, creating nothing. Also, who played the pass which Guedes messed up? Only chance created by Portugal from open play and it fell to the wrong man.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Which is grand.

Saying she has an annoying voice or sounds odd etc is no issue.

Saying it's the first football match she's seen is moronic given the way she is commentating and using the football lexicon, player names pronounced perfectly and quickly, clearly able to identify the players around the pitch much better than Keown etc.

Not to mention the fact that a quick google search would indicate she works in the field and has achieved a very respectable level despite obvious disadvantages.

Comments like that expose that it's not just her voice that's the issue, because you've not been objective in the slightest.

Why would I have to google her previous experience to come to the conclusion that the sound of her voice Reminds me Of someone experiencing their first football match ? It's the fact that, to me she sounds like everything is new to her. Like she's seeing everything with fresh eyes. She's too enthusiastic sounding about everything. That's all.

My God some people are really touchy about this. Explains the sensitivity around Evra doing nothing.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
This game needs Gelson Martins, he should be on for Bernardo who isn't good at playing counterattacking football

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
Don’t think a single Portugal player has been anywhere near good.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Ronnie now has 86 international goals - most in European history. Only 23 to go to reach Ali Daei's record.

RetroStu

Annoying female commentator. You dont HAVE to have a female commentator just for diversity sake.

Loublaze

ATLien
Is it sexist of me to not like women commentary, this woman’s screechy voice is going through me
I feel exactly the same....sexist or not my whole life commentary on men's football has been a male voice. Not only that she needs to differentiate between what's interesting and what isn't because at the minute it sounds like this is the first time she's ever seen a football match
Annoying female commentator. You dont HAVE to have a female commentator just for diversity sake.
Who’s complaining about the fact she’s female?

Jaxa

Bunch of fecking babies complaining about female commentary like it’s 1996 :lol: Get a grip
There's always one isn't there, just because some prefer male commentary doesn't mean were fecking sexist for christ sake, this generation of sensitive sally's (or sensitive sam's) is getting out of control honestly

Duafc

Village Lemon
Why would I have to google her previous experience to come to the conclusion that the sound of her voice Reminds me Of someone experiencing their first football match ? It's the fact that, to me she sounds like everything is new to her. Like she's seeing everything with fresh eyes. She's too enthusiastic sounding about everything. That's all.

My God some people are really touchy about this. Explains the sensitivity around Evra doing nothing.
I don't think Evra did much of anything wrong at all, so I don't think it explains that in any way.

And in terms of people being touchy... More people enter the thread to say she's shit (for various reasons) than people seeking to praise her or pull people up on their criticism.

Clearly touchiness exists on both sides of the coin.

CA_vampire

Portugal have never had an even remotely decent striker in the last two decades, even when they had an amazing squad the striker was always trash. Last one I remember was Pauletta or something, absolute dross
What??? Pauleta was an excellent striker, 279 goals in 527 club appearances and 47 goals in 88 appearances for the national team.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauleta

ManUtd1999

Morocco can't finish to save their life, despite their good buildup.

Fully expecting Ronaldo to score a second and the match ending 2-0 while Morocco go out happy with the good football they played, which is the only thing Arabs seem to be happy about.
Arab teams with zero points so far, right? And I think only 2 goals scored (both penalties). Not a good tournament for them so far.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Tried looking for a clip of Vicky Sparks to hear the voice for myself but couldn't. Anyway, its probably the voice but also it being something different that people arent used to. It'll normalize with time. Also simply knowing your stuff isnt enough for commentary... the voice is probably the biggest part of it.

Morocco is all fart and no poo though. Great build up play, but it's not even like they have no finish. They dont even create the chance. They get in great positions then cant find anyone in the box. It's all around the box nothing actually on goal.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
Morocco can't finish to save their life, despite their good buildup.

Fully expecting Ronaldo to score a second and the match ending 2-0 while Morocco go out happy with the good football they played, which is the only thing Arabs seem to be happy about.
If Portugal wins Ronaldo better stay away from Badr Hari :lol:

el3mel

Arab teams with zero points so far, right? And I think only 2 goals scored (both penalties). Not a good tournament for them so far.
Morocco has a much better team than both Egypt and Tunisia but their mentality in being happy with good football without scoring is so poor and frustrating to watch. They also stopped playing second half against Iran and seems content with the way they attacked without scoring. Such mentality isn't going to drive any Arab team any way forward.

Dan

My double Hervé having a word with the ref in the tunnel.

Duafc

Village Lemon
The bigger issue is someone letting that gimp Chris Stark harass Ricardo like this.

VanGaalyTime

Morocco has a much better team than both Egypt and Tunisia but their mentality in being happy with good football without scoring is so poor and frustrating to watch. They also stopped playing second half against Iran and seems content with the way they attacked without scoring. Such mentality isn't going to drive any Arab team any way forward.
Yeah the concern for the second half will be that they played this way against Iran - first half high press with lots of chances and didn't get anything. Then second half they were knackered, and Iran had more possession and controlled the game. This time around, they're playing Portugal and Ronaldo and co. are bound to get more chances now, particularly when they bring speedier players from the bench (Gelson Martins?) Can see a 3-0 or 4-0 coming up.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
I think was a Brazilian journalist who said at that time Portugal would be world champions if wasn't football goals, after Ronaldo retires Portugal goes to the normal - Morocco's style, playing good and not scoring