De Gea Contract Situation

Do you think David De Gea will sign a new contract at Man Utd this season?

• Yes

• No

• Yes, but he'll still leave by the end of the season

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Acole9

Outstanding
I would be a little shocked if a guy born in Madrid, who's played his entire youth career (2001-08) and first years as a pro at Atletico, would even consider going to Real.
I think so too. I remember when Torres was a hot prospect Atletico boy through and through Real wanted him he told them to do one.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Valid point. I suppose the overall impression he gives indicates a love for the club, you don't spend half of the international break trying to convince teammates to join if he wasnt here to stay, he seems very, very happy at the club.
Yeah, he's definitely very happy.

Hojoon

Looks like the standard transfer speculation before a contract renewal. Dave seems to love the club and is a transfer muppet himself. Woodward and Mendes are best friends if the last window is anything to go by. Plus, Real Madrid already have a top class keeper themselves. He's sitting on the bench for some reason.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
His Atletico background may or may not prevent him from going to Real, it all depends on his personality really. Some players would do it, others wouldn't.

This "Dave seems to love the club and is happy here" stuff means feck all though. Plenty of players seem to love the club right up to the point where they ask for their transfer. It makes feck all difference if they think their ambition and career will be better served elsewhere. I'm sure Ronaldo still loves us and Arsenal fans spent ages telling us how much Cesc loved them and Wenger. Like I said, it means nothing.

Ultimately, if the club wants him to stay long term then all we can do is focus on making our offer as attractive as possible. That means A) getting the team to the point where it is back challenging regularly at CL level and B) giving him a very lucrative contract.

One plus point: DDG is certain to be Spain's #1 regardless of where he plays. This means he shouldn't feel pressure to move clubs to help further his international career.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Not going to happen in a million years. I think Dave is here for the long term.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
His Atletico background may or may not prevent him from going to Real, it all depends on his personality really. Some players would do it, others wouldn't.

This "Dave seems to love the club and is happy here" stuff means feck all though. Plenty of players seem to love the club right up to the point where they ask for their transfer. It makes feck all difference if they think their ambition and career will be better served elsewhere. I'm sure Ronaldo still loves us and Arsenal fans spent ages telling us how much Cesc loved them and Wenger. Like I said, it means nothing.

Ultimately, if the club wants him to stay long term then all we can do is focus on making our offer as attractive as possible. That means A) getting the team to the point where it is back challenging regularly at CL level and B) giving him a very lucrative contract.

One plus point: DDG is certain to be Spain's #1 regardless of where he plays. This means he shouldn't feel pressure to move clubs to help further his international career.
Great post. Especially agree with the last point. Hopefully, that could be a massive plus for United.

Browniee

Love big Dave. With all the superstars with have playing for us now he's still my favourite United player. He's had a slow start to the season.
Hopefully he signs a new deal asap

Kazi

Hate the 'inevitable he'll go back to Spain' talk. Hope he proves that wrong. Sign a 15 year contract Dave.

Last edited:

izec

Why wouldnt he leave, if he misses Spain he is off. However, i think he likes it here, but for how long? I dont think it matters that he is an Atletico fan, the sa
me would happen with Mata or Herrera too if one of the 2 big spanish clubs show interest ( Probably with all the spanish/latinametican players) It is an oppurtunity you cant miss for them and after a few years in England, they will go back sooner or later

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Dave is not leaving. We'll get the contract ironed out and he'll stay here for the long term. How many world-class keepers at top clubs are transferred anyway ? Closest I can think of is Buffon from the then lower elite Parma and United are way bigger than that.

The likes of Madrid are impersonal commercial operations (like even Ruud alluded to), and while we're headed towards that kind of a structure going by recent developments, United is still very much of a family club. And David genuinely seems to love the club and the supporters. Lots of players are disingenuous about it but one gets the sense that he truly means it. We bought him at a really young age, the club supported him through the rough times and he genuinely seems to appreciate that.

The only place I'd imagine him leaving for is Atletico in the latter stages of his career, he even said in his farewell note that he'll always have the club in his heart and will return one day. People don't seem to realize how much Atletico means to hardcore Colchoneros like De Gea whose granddad and father and family are Atletico ticket holders. The guy was there since he was a kid and having a little brother syndrome, Atletico supporters made a conscious choice to root for the underdogs, they detest Real, its capitalistic values and everything the club stands for. There are some massive historical divides between the two clubs, leaving one for the other is considered treason.

He is a relative legend at Atleitco, why would he throw it down the drain and risk the ire of his fellow Atletico fans just to force a move to Real ? Makes no sense, we could probably make him one of the Top 3 highest paid keepers in the world. Reckon Madrid will take Cech off Chelsea's hands and that'll be that. Barcelona already has Ter Stegen so it wouldn't make any sense to target De Gea post the transfer embargo either.

Unlike raul who went to real and became a legend
Raul left primarily because Atletico's academy was shut down, not because he wanted to be a Real Madrid legend or personally sought a transfer. Also he wasn't an Atletico product, was there for just 2 seasons after transferring from San Critobal. David in comparison was there for a decade, starting at age 10, is a hardcore Atletico fan and went to see their matches at age 6 with his grandpa. Totally different cases.

pascell

He'll sign a new deal i'm sure, he's finally settled and comfortable here. Although, I did say a while back I'd be surprised if he didn't move on because his gf is still living in Spain isn't she? I'm more worried about how we allow contracts to run down to a year left of our more talented players.

Melvyn

prostate examiner
Signing a new deal doesn't stop him from leaving. Just means we get a better price should he leave.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I'm more worried about how we allow contracts to run down to a year left of our more talented players.
Presumably because his agent has been instructed no to deal with us... Either to put the player in a position to demand a better wage or to run the contract down to see what other offers come in (which will again be used to extract a better wage)

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Casillas is 33. De Gea will be gone at the end of his next contract to replace him, it's inevitable really

Winrar

Casillas is 33. De Gea will be gone at the end of his next contract to replace him, it's inevitable really
Isn't that what they bought Navas for? But then logic flies out of the window when Real Madrid is involved anyways.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I don't think De Gea will leave before he's 30, provided we're still challenging for honours then, and even then, I can only see him leaving for Atletico if they cement themselves in the top 3 of Spain. Don't think he'll go to Real Madrid and Barca have Ter Stegen as an up and coming keeper so I really am not too worried about De Gea.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Inevitable that an Atleti youngster leaves Man United to go to Real Madrid when Atleti are competing for titles with them? Doubt it. There's a chance as always, but not very likely IMO.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Why would he go back to Spain? All he has to do is sit on the left side of our dressing room.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
What's this fecking inferiority complex when it comes to Real Madrid for us? Why are we thinking that De Gea would happily swap Real Madrid for us? Bonkers.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
What's this fecking inferiority complex when it comes to Real Madrid for us? Why are we thinking that De Gea would happily swap Real Madrid for us? Bonkers.
Especially since he is an Atletico youth product. He would have trouble looking his own family i the face if he ended up suiting for Real.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Especially since he is an Atletico youth product. He would have trouble looking his own family i the face if he ended up suiting for Real.
Money does talk a lot in football, and stranger things have happened. But we are not West Ham fecking United though, we can afford a good salary, and hopefully we'll be back to champs league and what not.

buckooo1978

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Think he'll leave at some point back to Spain but hoping we get another 3-4 years from him at least.

Trizy

David De Gea has snubbed interest from Real Madrid to agree terms on a new £120,000-a-week Manchester United contract.

The former Atletico Madrid man had emerged as a top transfer target for Real in the last few weeks, and despite reports that he was considering the switch, he’s now committed to the Red Devils.

According to respected Spanish journalist Roberto Bonafont, who has close ties with De Gea, the glovesman has agreed terms on a five-year extension worth £120,000-a-week.

The contract means he will earn double the salary he’s currently on – and is reward for a string of impressive performances in the last 12 months.

JoaquinJoaquin

I think David will stay for a few more years yet, The only reason I could see him wanting to go back to Spain in the near future is the fact that his girlfriend Edurne still lives there and refuses to move to Manchester, That could end up be a problem for us.

SirAF

Ageist
I think David will stay for a few more years yet, The only reason I could see him wanting to go back to Spain in the near future is the fact that his girlfriend Edurne still lives there and refuses to move to Manchester, That could end up be a problem for us.
Ah, fecking Edurne..

Status
Not open for further replies.