De Gea contract talk | Signs new deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
This attitude will see us end up as 9th or 10th best club in England. DDG had a bad season but he's still one of the best keepers in the world.

If we lose DDG n Pogba this summer god only knows what's going to happen to us and Ole next season. It won't be pretty.
Losing Pogba would be a blow and I hope he stays. But De Gea isn't as good as a alot of our fans have hyped him to be. He has clear weaknesses in two key areas that get overlooked by his fans.

I agree with Mark Ogden and Andy Mitten when they say he isn't as good as United fans hype him upto be, and he's a outdated goalkeeper.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
De Gea is unraveling. He’s been poor for over a year now and a total liability in spells for us and Spain.

I’m so sick of hearing how Manchester United will perish if he and our other supposed talisman leave.

It’s total rubbish.

I’m honestly more worried about no one stumping up a proper fee this summer and us ending up with two uncommitted players again next season.
Absolute joke. He's been player of the year 4 times in last 5 years. He's carried us almost single handedly into the CL at times.

You're now blaming him? What about the jokers he's playing behind?

Enigma_87

You know who
They might have a reason as their defensive side is usually the reason of their downfall every year in CL so might think of getting a top shot stopping GK as David to improve it.
yeah, makes sense. Still probably he's working to get another mega deal at United.

SteveW

De Gea is unraveling. He’s been poor for over a year now and a total liability in spells for us and Spain.

I’m so sick of hearing how Manchester United will perish if he and our other supposed talisman leave.

It’s total rubbish.
Agreed. I actually think we'd really benefit from getting a goalkeeper who actually commands his area and speaks to his defenders more.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Agreed. I actually think we'd really benefit from getting a goalkeeper who actually commands his area and speaks to his defenders more.
Honestly just sounds childish this to be honest. Like you're trying to place blame at his feet.

What about the 4 donkeys ahead of him? I think they might be more to blame personally.

RuudTom83

If he ends up at PSG I’ll feel sorry for Mata being left behind...maybe they can take him as well to keep the Spanish trio together!

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Losing Pogba would be a blow and I hope he stays. But De Gea isn't as good as a alot of our fans have hyped him to be. He has clear weaknesses in two key areas that get overlooked by his fans.

I agree with Mark Ogden and Andy Mitten when they say he isn't as good as United fans hype him upto be, and he's a outdated goalkeeper.
Where did they say that and what exactly did they say

The Nani

Absolute joke. He's been player of the year 4 times in last 5 years. He's carried us almost single handedly into the CL at times.

You're now blaming him? What about the jokers he's playing behind?
I don’t care about sentimentality.

He’s looked like a joker playing behind Ramos and Pique as well. His refusal to come off his line, command the box or organize anything are serious deficiencies and always have been. And now he’s having an Iker Casillas sized meltdown while asking for the moon in wages.

Time to get shot. Thanks and bye.

USREDEVIL

Outdated keeper? Why because he isn't a great passer or what? :houllier:
He's still one of the top five goalkeepers in the world. But if he's holding us to ransom, feck it. Get Romero in or move for Oblak. Enough's enough with this ransom shiat!:nono:

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Outdated keeper? Why because he isn't a great passer or what? :houllier:
He's still one of the top five goalkeepers in the world. But if he's holding us to ransom, feck it. Get Romero in or move for Oblak. Enough's enough with this ransom shiat!:nono:
Fans on here have a funny way of reacting to when players leave or look like leave.

If DDG had renewed two weeks ago they'd be saying the exact opposite.

The anger should be aimed at the club management and owners. They are ruining the club. Not DDG who happens to be our best player.

Djemba-Djemba

If he stays then I'm glad but I don't think we should be breaking the bank for him.

It's been made pretty obvious in the last 12 months he has some serious flaws to his game and that's before mentioning him making at least one terrible mistake a match for the last 7 or 8 weeks of the season.

If he signs a new contract I'd insist on getting rid of his mate as GK coach and bringing in a proper coach who works with him and improving his weaknesses like coming for crosses.

SteveW

Honestly just sounds childish this to be honest. Like you're trying to place blame at his feet.

What about the 4 donkeys ahead of him? I think they might be more to blame personally.
That's rich. Why the feck would it be about blaming people? Grow up.

I'd happily swap him for a VDS type right now. He doesn't command his box or offer anything in terms of organisation. His insane reflexes were more than enough to cover his limitations in the past but as he heads towards 30 they may suffer. His confidence has been down for over a year. Can we be sure or even confident it comes back? I think it might be a good time to cash in on him and get somebody with more presence. Our defensive organisation would likely benefit.

Before you start whining again; this doesn't mean I don't appreciate his performances over the last few years. I love David. He's been outstanding. I would not enjoy seeing him go. But it may be worth looking at. Especially since he seems intent on holding the club to ransom.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
That's rich. Why the feck would it be about blaming people? Grow up.

I'd happily swap him for a VDS type right now. He doesn't command his box or offer anything in terms of organisation. His insane reflexes were more than enough to cover his limitations in the past but as he heads towards 30 they may suffer. His confidence has been down for over a year. Can we be sure or even confident it comes back? I think it might be a good time to cash in on him and get somebody with more presence. Our defensive organisation would likely benefit.

Before you start whining again; this doesn't mean I don't appreciate his performances over the last few years. I love David. He's been outstanding. I would not enjoy seeing him go. But it may be worth looking at. Especially since he seems intent on holding the club to ransom.
Just sounds like a scapegoat to me. You'll see what I mean when he leaves and the chuckle brothers and Young are still playing 25-30 games a season.

DDG is nowhere near the problem. I actually think our fans are being a bit petty because he hasn't signed a deal.

In truth he's been with us too long if anything. Deserves better than us.

f_to_z

I believe De Gea loves the club but in the back of his head he always wanted a move to Real in his career.

He already accepted a move to them before (the Fax incident).

He does not want to hand in a transfer request and lose the fans.

Last trick in his sleeves to demand an unrealistic wage he knows the club will not accept and therefore use it as an excuse to leave.

kundalini

Where did they say that and what exactly did they say
It is somewhere in this interview/discussion between Andy Mitten and Mark Ogden.

https://audioboom.com/posts/7246065-uws-podcast-380-mark-ogden

From memory, Ogden said De Gea is a talented keeper but his style of keeping seems out-dated compared to the approach taken by Ederson etc, coming for crosses, sweeper keeper, ability to start attacks. While United fans rate De Gea highly, he wasn't convinced that the rest of the world sees him in the same light. Questioned whether De Gea was really worth the type of salary he appears to be demanding. Basically thought United could replace him without too much damage. (I listened to it last month so I may have missed key aspects of the discussion). Andy Mitten didn't express much of an opinion either way, though he did mention United had made a huge offer to De Gea that got rejected and that United considered the agent's fee to be outrageous.

I expect De Gea to be at United at the start of next season, regardless of where he would prefer to be, simply because the big clubs will have been frightened away by his horrific performances this season. Real Madrid have not been interested since the Fax fiasco. PSG or Juventus might be interested in him on a free transfer, after a good season, but not now when a significant fee would be involved. They don't want to blow their CL chances by recruiting a keeper who let in Messi's tame shot and made a horror error in the World Cup. Imagine being the Sporting Director of a serious club that recommended buying De Gea right now.

De Gea will take his time, see what his options are, then make a decision. If it's purely a financial one, then I suspect United's offer will be far superior to that of any other interested club. If he wants to move back to Spain or try a different country, then I'm sure he will get offers that will appeal.

Last edited:

Boycott

I believe De Gea loves the club but in the back of his head he always wanted a move to Real in his career.

He already accepted a move to them before (the Fax incident).

He does not want to hand in a transfer request and lose the fans.

Last trick in his sleeves to demand an unrealistic wage he knows the club will not accept and therefore use it as an excuse to leave.
I agree. And that Sanchez is on 400k a week makes it so much easier to do that. Leaves Woodward in an awkward corner.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Better than Manchester United.

You and Dave.
I deserve better than Manchester United? I don't even know what that means.

They are my club. Grown up a stone's throw from M60 in Worsley and they are my local team. Always be a red.

I want better for my club though. I want the parasites to sell up.

SteveW

Just sounds like a scapegoat to me. You'll see what I mean when he leaves and the chuckle brothers and Young are still playing 25-30 games a season.

DDG is nowhere near the problem. I actually think our fans are being a bit petty because he hasn't signed a deal.

In truth he's been with us too long if anything. Deserves better than us.
You sound like one of those people who just loves his favourite player so much that he can't be objective. Who gives a feck if some other players aren't as good as him. What has Jones or Young got to do with this? We are talking about goalkeeping right now. I'm sure there are plenty of other threads to moan abut the defense in.

Fact is De Gea hasn't performed for over a year. His contract is winding down and we need to make a decision. Are you absolutely sure we should be making him the highest paid goalkeeper in the world right now? I suppose you think we should give him a 5 year deal too.

18 months ago I'd have said give him what he wants but I think it would be a mental thing to do considering how fragile he looks right now. We have no idea if or when he will get his mojo back. I also don't see him being a great keeper in his 30s. When his reflexes go there isn't much else there. So if a decent offer came in I'd be highly tempted to cash in.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
This attitude will see us end up as 9th or 10th best club in England. DDG had a bad season but he's still one of the best keepers in the world.

If we lose DDG n Pogba this summer god only knows what's going to happen to us and Ole next season. It won't be pretty.
It’s tough call here. Sell DDG & spend almost 100m on Oblak or use DDG’s fees on other position & rely on both Hendo & Romero.

To win the league we need top keeper, but we aren’t trying to win the league next season.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
You sound like one of those people who just loves his favourite player so much that he can't be objective. Who gives a feck if some other players aren't as good as him. What has Jones or Young got to do with this? We are talking about goalkeeping right now. I'm sure there are plenty of other threads to moan abut the defense in.

Fact is De Gea hasn't performed for over a year. His contract is winding down and we need to make a decision. Are you absolutely sure we should be making him the highest paid goalkeeper in the world right now? I suppose you think we should give him a 5 year deal too.

18 months ago I'd have said give him what he wants but I think it would be a mental thing to do considering how fragile he looks right now. We have no idea if or when he will get his mojo back. I also don't see him being a great keeper in his 30s. When his reflexes go there isn't much else there. So if a decent offer came in I'd be highly tempted to cash in.
If he'd signed a contract last week you'd be happy with him. You're typical flip flop United fan.

He's leaving us because we're crap. I don't think money is anything to do with it myself.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If he'd signed a contract last week you'd be happy with him. You're typical flip flop United fan.

He's leaving us because we're crap. I don't think money is anything to do with it myself.
You are missing the point. The only way to keep DDG is by giving him jumbo contract, if we don’t do that then he won’t sign a new contract and he will go free next season. And what we are trying to change now is not to give players crazy contract anymore. The decision has to be made whether we sell him or let him go for free.

SteveW

Actually I'm not. I'm a supporter that does his best to see things for what they are and not fall in love with certain players to the point of not assessing them honestly. You know nothing about me so quit the name calling and assumptions. Here's a post from last season before any of this came up.

David de Gea | 2017/18 Performances

binary bot
I love De Gea and think hes still one of the best in the world but a rebuild should also include making contracts sustainable. If paying DDG x amount means that any future top player coming in wants more than him then move him on.

Same applied to Herrera. You could criticise the club if we were lowballing but im confident that we're not.

Id be interested to see the going rate for top goalkeeper wages and whether or not they have much bargaining power in general.

kundalini

I love De Gea and think hes still one of the best in the world but a rebuild should also include making contracts sustainable. If paying DDG x amount means that any future top player coming in wants more than him then move him on.

Same applied to Herrera. You could criticise the club if we were lowballing but im confident that we're not.

Id be interested to see the going rate for top goalkeeper wages and whether or not they have much bargaining power in general.
As far as I can tell, Neuer £13m, Courtois slightly above £10m, most other elite keepers (Ederson, Ter Stegen, Allison, Buffon, Oblak, Navas) between £5m and £10m. Very little reason for United to offer De Gea an increase on his current salary, as he is already one of the top 3 earning keepers. (usual caveats about online estimates of player salaries apply)

Last edited:

Pace Abuser

I want him sold. He's losing his mojo, this is evident. He is also rubbish at passing out of the back. Do not let a player on the downward spiral hold us to ransom for obscene wages.

Zlatattack

We have Romero and Henderson. If he wants to hold us hostage then we should sell him to anyone who'll pay a bomb for him. See how goes with Romero, if not buy another keeper next summer.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
People are quick to disregard a player who has pretty much helped us retain a shred of dignity in recent years.

I feel for whoever comes in instead of him and has to play behind our shite defense.

Again, this is completely on Woodward. Should have tied up his contract many months ago. He was rumoured to be after a new deal almost a year ago.

Fridge chutney

So lets make it a problem by selling the reason it's the least of our problems ?
Exactly. When we get a Karius then goalkeeping will be the most of our problems as we gradually (hopefully) improve the back 4, midfield and attack.

We should sort out his contract and not dither, which is not usually how Woodward operates unfortunately.

Fridge chutney

People are quick to disregard a player who has pretty much helped us retain a shred of dignity in recent years.

I feel for whoever comes in instead of him and has to play behind our shite defense.

Again, this is completely on Woodward. Should have tied up his contract many months ago. He was rumoured to be after a new deal almost a year ago.
Bang on the money. We lost Herrera unecessarily because of this, which creates a big problem for us. We should have sorted Dave and Ander out before handing Sanchez a ludicrous contract.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Bang on the money. We lost Herrera unecessarily because of this, which creates a big problem for us. We should have sorted Dave and Ander out before handing Sanchez a ludicrous contract.
Yeah, that should have been the chronology. Mismanaged at every level unfortunately.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
We're on the 6th, where he had major part of it. He doesn't want to sign a new contract even though he'd be the best paid Gk in the world. What the feck he wants?

Sign or get rid.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

It’s total rubbish.

I’m honestly more worried about no one stumping up a proper fee this summer and us ending up with two uncommitted players again next season.
It is somewhere in this interview/discussion between Andy Mitten and Mark Ogden.

https://audioboom.com/posts/7246065-uws-podcast-380-mark-ogden

From memory, Ogden said De Gea is a talented keeper but his style of keeping seems out-dated compared to the approach taken by Ederson etc, coming for crosses, sweeper keeper, ability to start attacks. While United fans rate De Gea highly, he wasn't convinced that the rest of the world sees him in the same light. Questioned whether De Gea was really worth the type of salary he appears to be demanding. Basically thought United could replace him without too much damage. (I listened to it last month so I may have missed key aspects of the discussion). Andy Mitten didn't express much of an opinion either way, though he did mention United had made a huge offer to De Gea that got rejected and that United considered the agent's fee to be outrageous.

I expect De Gea to be at United at the start of next season, regardless of where he would prefer to be, simply because the big clubs will have been frightened away by his horrific performances this season. Real Madrid have not been interested since the Fax fiasco. PSG or Juventus might be interested in him on a free transfer, after a good season, but not now when a significant fee would be involved. They don't want to blow their CL chances by recruiting a keeper who let in Messi's tame shot and made a horror error in the World Cup. Imagine being the Sporting Director of a serious club that recommended buying De Gea right now.

De Gea will take his time, see what his options are, then make a decision. If it's purely a financial one, then I suspect United's offer will be far superior to that of any other interested club. If he wants to move back to Spain or try a different country, then I'm sure he will get offers that will appeal.
That's a load of crock. Just because you write about football doesn't make you an expert on it. I work with two goalkeepers. One of them is coaching now, the other is still playing and is a former international keeper. They're football pundits and how they talk about goalkeepers is completely different to what other pundits say. Ogden might as well cover volleyball, he'd know as much as what he'd be talking about.

Play Ederson in United and he wouldn't look half as good. He's an excellent passer but in the rest of the goalkeeping department he's not a top keeper but that's alright because City need his passing more than to be able to bail out the defense like DDG has done consistently over the years. Put DDG in a team where he has to use his feet and he'll be fine. It was one of his strengths when he first joined but since then we've played dreadful football with no focus of playing out of the back because our players can't and our forwards as a whole aren't intelligent enough to make runs as soon as DDG catches the ball. Rewind almost every game and you can see him try to get the ball quickly into play with no options.

@kundalini you're the victim of bringing up the correct quotes here, my answer is aimed at your link and The Nani.

mostar94

I think when you see the talk of Hazard going for 100mil with 1 year left on his contract, I would sell De gea if we can get around 50-60mil for him. Our currently goalkeeper will be enough to help us with a top 4 finish next season.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Man I’m so tired of this. Stop negotiating and let him go. We’re not offering him minimum wage so clearly he doesn’t want to be here. Let’s stop wasting energy on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.