De Gea's future | Jose not confident but not worried about deal

Ban

The man has been a great servant for us. Let him leave to seal his status as the best goalkeeper in history of football.

I love the man, but he deserves better. I don't want him to be like Allen Iverson.
You're more a DDG and Iverson fan than United one?

Ban

I wonder how much of Mourinho's comments should be taken with a pinch of salt

he's on a self-destructive path since he didn't get his transfer targets and he seems to have a self-serving feck this place (United) attitude - he could easily have been having a dig at Woody and co
He's questioning the path of the club and rightly so.
We can talk all we want about him and call him all the names out there but I do doubt Ed and the board and their willingness to put United back to the top. Not top 4 but to the top. I woudn't be surprised if the same problems would stay beyond Jose. Everybody thinks once he's gone everything will be great, we just need an attacking manager and that's it.
I think its far, far more complicated than that.

Web of Bissaka

There're the fans who wants him to leave so Mou will get sacked or Glazers go bankrupt or something ridiculous like I want him to leave and join other big club so he'll win CL (I don't know if these guys are Manchester United fans with agenda or more De Gea United FC fans than Manchester United FC fans), and then there're the fans who is reluctance to accept but admits defeats anyway if De Gea decide to leave one day. Clear difference.

New manager and I can see him stay to see how it goes first. Depends on who the new manager is, I can see him staying even longer. If it's bad, he'll likely leave and seriously can we blame him then, the power structure at United is a mess. De Gea have been a good model professional at this club. Who knows he might even do something "irrational" and stay loyal with us for a lot longer because he secretively fell in love with the club and the fans who have been supporting him even if he's shit with Spain NT being ridiculed for his performances internationally.

Red_toad

None of the people here who is okay to see him leave doesn't want him to say.

It's the acceptance, the feeling of defeat that we don't deserve him if he wants to leave. :wenger:
No it's the hive mind of the Caf, everything United is crap, why would anyone want to play for us etc etc etc. it's all getting very tedious.
Lad is in contract negotiations, his agent will put out misinformation to get his client a better deal, it happens all the time, yet the media create the shit storm and some people just love to lap it up and post the future as they see it. I prefer not to live in that gloomy craphole. Not one person on here has any idea what or where sees his future, no idea why we need the idea that he's gone rammed down our throats repeatedly.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Never thought I'll see the day our best players leave for football reasons.
Sad state of affairs.

Fujiland

He's questioning the path of the club and rightly so.
We can talk all we want about him and call him all the names out there but I do doubt Ed and the board and their willingness to put United back to the top. Not top 4 but to the top. I woudn't be surprised if the same problems would stay beyond Jose. Everybody thinks once he's gone everything will be great, we just need an attacking manager and that's it.
I think its far, far more complicated than that.
It's maybe far more complicated, but since HE is a problem, get rid of that problem first.

Rolaholic

It's been rather strange to see so many fans willing to see DDG leave,especially given all the abuse and venom on display whenever there's any rumor of our other best players potentially leaving like Pogba and Martial.

It'd be an unmitigated disaster if Dave left given the clubs chronic inability to replace quality players

el3mel

It's been rather strange to see so many fans willing to see DDG leave,especially given all the abuse and venom on display whenever there's any rumor of our other best players potentially leaving like Pogba and Martial.

It'd be an unmitigated disaster if Dave left given the clubs chronic inability to replace quality players
I won't say "willing", rather having no hard feeling for him if he decides to leave, as he's the only player you can't question what he did to us in these crap years.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
If he leaves I blame Jose for not sorting us out. I'd probably leave under these circumstances.

Shangler

Supports
Manchester City
If it weren’t for a dodgy fax machine, De Gea would be a 3X Champs League winner already. That’s got to play on his mind when considering his future. Arguably the best GK in the world and should be chasing the biggest trophies.

That said, United should be moving heaven and earth to keep him. People saying he’s just a goalkeeper really undermine what he’s done in the post-Ferguson era.

Kapardin

GK is the only position we have done relatively well. De Gea, Romero and Lee "made a save" Grant. Not counting Valdes, he was just a cnut.:)

Seriously though, I am not too arsed about this. If Dave doesn't extend, then trigger the 1 year extension and let him leave. We would have enjoyed his best years and particularly during the time we needed him most -- this goddamn transition period.

Then we get in a new manager, strengthen our defense and sign a modern ball-playing keeper.

This isn't a slight on Dave, but once he gets older, he will likely go the Casillas way. He is basically world class at shot stopping and average or weak in almost every other area. If his shot stopping deserts him, he will be Casillas mk2. So if we strengthen our defense, we won't need his superhuman saves and can get an Alisson/Ederson equivalent.

JSArsenal

I wonder how much that failed Real Madrid move is weighing on De Gea's mind.

Its one thing for one club to pull out of a deal. Its another thing for it to fail because of a fax machine of all things.

If the move had gone through, he would have been a three time Champions League winner and a La Liga champion, perhaps more.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Its one thing for one club to pull out of a deal. Its another thing for it to fail because of a fax machine of all things.

If the move had gone through, he would have been a three time Champions League winner and a La Liga champion, perhaps more.
Or perhaps he would have cost them and they would have nothing nothing

Fujiland

Sure. And what then?
Whatever then you already took care one problem.

And You don't have to look far to see how fast Chelsea and Arsenal turned around. But if you just blindly love Jose, then all the logic and reasoning not going to work for you.

Flexdegea

The man has been a great servant for us. Let him leave to seal his status as the best goalkeeper in history of football.

I love the man, but he deserves better. I don't want him to be like Allen Iverson.

Please be a sarcastic post as you can't honestly be serious with that.

Another teacup United fan by the look of things.......imagine playing for such a club, must be paying them buttons as well

Last edited by a moderator:

Kapardin

He would have the medals, but not sure if he would have the performances. Looking at his struggles with Spain, it seems like he needs a settled atmosphere to thrive, and at Real, his smallest mistake would be scrutinized.

In contrast, I think Navas would have done pretty well with us had he moved. In the end, both parties were happy the deal didn't go through, as even Real supporters love Navas.

Ban

Whatever then you already took care one problem.

And You don't have to look far to see how fast Chelsea and Arsenal turned around. But if you just blindly love Jose, then all the logic and reasoning not going to work for you.
Love how you jumped to conclusions so quickly.
And comparisons are a bit strange. Different clubs and different situations. Also they've turned it around to what? Season is not over.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
If it weren’t for a dodgy fax machine, De Gea would be a 3X Champs League winner already. That’s got to play on his mind when considering his future. Arguably the best GK in the world and should be chasing the biggest trophies.

That said, United should be moving heaven and earth to keep him. People saying he’s just a goalkeeper really undermine what he’s done in the post-Ferguson era.

Not sure if you're both joking, but the fax machine thing was a running gag. It was Madrid not uploading their documents on to FIFA's Transfer Matching System in time, when United had. The rumour mill ran all summer long and Madrid only put an official bid in the day before deadline day, and it was a lowball bid to say the least.

De Gea could have signed a pre-contract with Madrid 4 months after that debacle, but he chose to sign a 5 year deal with United instead. They were possibly banking on simply turning his head and him leaving for nothing the following year. They never bid for him again and have now bought Courtois instead. I think it's safe to say they never wanted him that badly, by paying both a fee and losing Navas.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Absolutely, but it is very unlikely that de Gea would have performed worse than Navas during these years.
I wouldn't be so sure. The pressure would be different for starters and seeing how he is for the national team, there is no "very unlikely" going on for me

tieunhilang

Not sure if you're both joking, but the fax machine thing was a running gag. It was Madrid not uploading their documents on to FIFA's Transfer Matching System in time, when United had. The rumour mill ran all summer long and Madrid only put an official bid in the day before deadline day, and it was a lowball bid to say the least.

De Gea could have signed a pre-contract with Madrid 4 months after that debacle, but he chose to sign a 5 year deal with United instead. They were possibly banking on simply turning his head and him leaving for nothing the following year. They never bid for him again and have now bought Courtois instead. I think it's safe to say they never wanted him that badly, by paying both a fee and losing Navas.
This. Even after that "fax" summer, what stopped De Gea from handing in a transfer request and joined Madrid? It has been 3 years already. I think Real Madrid actually pissed him off with their ass attitude, then De Gea returned to the Liverpool match and got a hero welcome from the Stretford End. I think it sealed the deal for him mentally.

SirAF

Ageist
I wouldn't be so sure. The pressure would be different for starters and seeing how he is for the national team, there is no "very unlikely" going on for me

There is for me! We’ll just have to leave it at that :p

breakout67

Supports
Man City
De Gea will most likely stay as all the big foreign clubs have their keeper situation sorted.

Bayern - Neuer still has a few years in him
Madrid - nabbed Chelsea's keeper
Barca - Ter Stegen is a fantastic keeper
Juventus - Szczesny has developed into a good keeper

Treble

If Juve/PSG can get DDG on free, they are likely to get him. It's not rocket science.

Much depends on how this season pans out. If it turns out to be a car crash, he won't be motivated to stay here. Juve/PSG can give him a big on-signing fee to compensate for lower wages.

Hamadovich86

Honestly wont hold it against him if he leaves to a club outside of England, he deserves to win trophies and be regarded as the best keeper in the world. I'd be gutted but its totally understandable.

Nikelesh Reddy

De Gea will most likely stay as all the big foreign clubs have their keeper situation sorted.

Bayern - Neuer still has a few years in him
Madrid - nabbed Chelsea's keeper
Barca - Ter Stegen is a fantastic keeper
Juventus - Szczesny has developed into a good keeper
Barca And Juve would swap their keepers for David in a second,especially Juve...Ter Stegen complements barcas style of play so David will have to get used to playing more as a sweeper keeper.But David would easily displace Szczesny and Ter stegen...

Darlington Padgett

Barca And Juve would swap their keepers for David in a second,especially Juve...Ter Stegen complements barcas style of play so David will have to get used to playing more as a sweeper keeper.But David would easily displace Szczesny and Ter stegen...
Barcelona fans and players love Ter Stegen they've trusted him and had faith in him and he's a really world class GK so I don't think they'll replace him. He's perfect for their system and is playing really well and saving them games.
Szczesny on the other hand is not a player for Juventus plan of winning the champions league, and Juventus does love a steal so maybe they'll wait for their contract to run down or buy him on a cheap on his last year.
What I believe might happen is him going to Atletico and us getting Oblak in exchange.

Reactions: Jippy

Nikelesh Reddy

Barcelona fans and players love Ter Stegen they've trusted him and had faith in him and he's a really world class GK so I don't think they'll replace him. He's perfect for their system and is playing really well and saving them games.
Szczesny on the other hand is not a player for Juventus plan of winning the champions league, and Juventus does love a steal so maybe they'll wait for their contract to run down or buy him on a cheap on his last year.
What I believe might happen is him going to Atletico and us getting Oblak in exchange.
Atletico is a step up considering how much of a shambles we are right now,but will he really win big trophies there?If he leaves United,he will want to go to a mega club assured of winning trophies and challenging for the league.Juventus are clearly going to be the frontrunners if he decides to leave United...

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Ter Stegen has regularly bailed out Barca he's a really good goal keeper. Sczezny has also made his fair share of good performance for Juve.

De Gea is a slight upgrade on both and the only way I see him leaving is in 2 years on a free to Juve. Juve are certainly not paying a hefty price to get De Gea from us while he is in contract.

JoaquinJoaquin

Think he will leave at the end of his contract, And to be honest I can't blame him. The question is where would he go?