Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Butt is maybe looking at the likes of Garner and Mejbri and taking a holistic view of our midfield options going forward, hence coming to the conclusion the current midfield is fine with more variety to come in the form of Garner and Mejbri.

Mainoldo

I don’t know, Rice seems not any better than McTominay in Euro so far.

Avg rating: McTominay 6.55 > Rice 6.48
Tackles: Mctominay 1.5 > Rice 1
Interception: Mctominay 2.5 > Rice 0
Ariel duels: Mctominay 2 > Rice 1

Yeh small sample size I know, but it doesn’t look inspiring so far.
What are the stats like when McTominay actually played that 1 game in midfield and stunk out the place?

I don’t think we will see him again in CM for this tournament.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Henderson is looking like pirlo in comparison already. Want him no where near our midfield.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Looks a different team without him. It’s up to you to decide if it’s better or worse.

Less players getting forward and getting outplayed by the opposition.

Last edited:

Trequarista10

I'll be honest I thought pre Euros he was what we needed, a solid holding midfielder, but I've been put off. He's not comfortable enough maneuvering possession which would be a requisite at the top level (and what we're sorely missing already).

There's a player there still though. He's probably destined to be a CB.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I'll be honest I thought pre Euros he was what we needed, a solid holding midfielder, but I've been put off. He's not comfortable enough maneuvering possession which would be a requisite at the top level (and what we're sorely missing already).

I actually think he has a lot of attributes to be an elite CB. Doesn't look like he's going to play there though for his club.

He was originally a CB and then they moved him into midfield

KennyBurner

Rice isn’t better than mctominay and I think the worst of mctominay. Really hope Chelsea spend a fortune buying him.

OrcaFat

Is it really a coincidence that England’s shape and control pretty much evaporated without Rice on the pitch?

Zoo

Is it really a coincidence that England’s shape and control pretty much evaporated without Rice on the pitch?
Yeah I came in here to post this. A better team then the Czechs would have exposed England as the midfield platform wasn’t there in the second half.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
You just ignoring where they also got on top towards the end of the first half as well then?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He's an excellent defensive midfielder. Just knits it all together defensively. Phillips is decent but defensively I don't think you'd notice anything if you put Bellingham or Mount in the 2. You'd notice leaving out Rice instantly.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
It didn’t look that way to me.
Odd. Thought he had his worst game for us. Was clear what he was doing against Croatia, where he did really well, but tonight just didn't get close enough to anyone.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I don’t think we should be wasting money on this guy. There’s a lot better in his position for a lot cheaper. He reminds me of a younger version of matic. We definitely need someone a lot more technical and mobile in the middle.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Its not, but too many people have committed to saying he's shite, so this thread will be quiet on that issue.
Think most here are happy to acknowledge his obvious strengths, while having reservations regarding his obvious limitations (especially in the context of his price tag).

Mcking

He is a good defender, but a very basic footballer. We play a midfield two, and he is no where near who you would want in a two. We really have to avoid this one.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Think most here are happy to acknowledge his obvious strengths, while having reservations regarding his obvious limitations (especially in the context of his price tag).
True. I'd be happy to pay him for not more than 30-40m for his obvious strengths (solid defensively and positional wise), but not a penny more for his obvious limitations (contribute nothing else in midfield). He is playing like a CB in midfield, and the good thing is, he may even play as a CB.

roseguy64

Fair enough but McTominay will literally not have one good game in CM in this tournament and for the Level of United he should be standing our for Scotland.
He's played two of three games at CB for Scotland so pretty hard to do that. Plus they're out now.

roseguy64

And to think we only lost out Butt's coaching genius because we promoted someone even more clueless over him.

We don't need Rice. We do need upgrades on both McTominay and Fred.
Which clueless person was promoted over him to be a coach?

Polar

He is a good defender, but a very basic footballer. We play a midfield two, and he is no where near who you would want in a two. We really have to avoid this one.
Totally agree. Don’t think he will make much difference for us. We need a more edgy CM than Rice to complement McFred.

Jibbs

Butt is maybe looking at the likes of Garner and Mejbri and taking a holistic view of our midfield options going forward, hence coming to the conclusion the current midfield is fine with more variety to come in the form of Garner and Mejbri.
Both of them are at least 2 seasons away from becoming first team regular. That is if they make the grade.

krentz

i'd rather spend 80M on Bellingham. The only way Rice could get away from west Ham is if they got relegated.

Status
Not open for further replies.