Demba Ba

Sw33t

Rather use that 7m on a midfielder.
But where are you going to get a midfielder who has the same amount of quality in midfield as Ba does up front for 7m, if ya get me?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The new Saha?

A goal machine, when he's not croc. We already have one of those, he's called Michael Owen.

Surely the £7M release clause is a minimum fee? The bid must be at least £7M, doesn't mean they'd have to sell him for that though, does it?
you're venky by any chance? ;)

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Blackburn, owed by the lovely people at Venky's, didn't want to sell us Phil Jones, especially because Arsenal put in a larger bid.

However, because we met the bid in the release clause, they were forced to let him go to the team of his choice. Ba should be the same.

Mickey

Stop paying attention to this a while ago
Don't know what you mean, but its a serious question.

Are they obliged to sell him to the first team that offers £7M?

Or is it a case of United, say, want to sign him, he hands in a transfer request & we hand over the £7M, job done.

Doesn't sound very plausible to me.
Phil jones, blackburn, venkys.

a 7mil release clause means that if a team offers 7 mil, the club have to accept.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I don't know, I think we'd already like to find a way to get Chicharito, Welbeck and Rooney on the field at the same time. Berba is already an amazing 4th choice striker, not sure we need to worry about upgrading.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
na, think we have great options up front already. He does bring another option to the plate of any side with his big build and ability to hold up the ball, but not for us as of the choice we already have. If Spurs cant keep hold of Adebyour (sp?) then I can see them making a bid, and they would be an ideal club for him.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
The new Saha?

A goal machine, when he's not croc. We already have one of those, he's called Michael Owen.

Surely the £7M release clause is a minimum fee? The bid must be at least £7M, doesn't mean they'd have to sell him for that though, does it?
What are you talking about? If someone offers the release clause sum, then that club will have to accept that offer and then its up to the player if he wants to move or not.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
It baffles me how there can be such confusion over a release clause. Surely there is no other permutation of how it could possible work, other than what it is - which is that if a club bids the amount of the release clause, the players club have to accept the offer?

In what other way can it possibly make sense?

ciderman9000000

It baffles me how there can be such confusion over a release clause. Surely there is no other permutation of how it could possible work, other than what it is - which is that if a club bids the amount of the release clause, the players club have to accept the offer?

In what other way can it possibly make sense?
:lol: yep

What would be the point in a release clause in a player's contract if the club weren't obligated to release him if the valuation was met?

Hats must certainly come off to Demba's agent in this case; that 50% of any sell on fee going to the player himself deal is an amazing bit of work. Newcastle must have been pretty desperate for his signature to allow him such lopsided terms. £7m release clause with only half that going to Newcastle? What was Mike Ashley thinking? He must have only seen Ba as a stop-gap solution.

They can't be short of cash anymore at Newcastle, no? £40m for Carroll and Jose Enrique from LFC must have swelled the coffers in the summer; surely if he'd have recognised Ba's true potential he'd have stuck him on a higher wage and negotiated a better contract from the club's point of view?

ciderman9000000

Many strikers have done very well for a season.
Ba also did very well for WHam last season.

It's not just his goals ratio that has earned him the plaudits he's receiving, it's the class with which he scores them and their variation; from watching him, there doesn't seem to be much he cannot do to get the ball in the net. He reminds me of RVP.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Newcastle could always sign Ba onto a bigger contract before anyone else can get to him, no? I have to say I think Ba is pretty good.

Maybe Chelsea should try him out, I could see him having fun in a front 3 with Sturridge and Mata, but I'd rather they didn't.

ciderman9000000

Newcastle could always sign Ba onto a bigger contract before anyone else can get to him, no? I have to say I think Ba is pretty good.

Maybe Chelsea should try him out, I could see him having fun in a front 3 with Sturridge and Mata, but I'd rather they didn't.
I don't see why he'd want to sign another contract with Newcastle now. If any club buys him in the summer he gets a £3.5m+ payoff and probably a wage increase and Champions League football; he's not gonna be turning that down in favour of a payrise on Tyneside.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I don't know, it might be worth it to Newcastle to offer the same amount to Ba to stay, they'd just have to spread the 3.5m out over his contract. If he's worth it to another to come in and offer 7m and good wages then I'd think Newcastle could afford to basically do the same thing, if the alternative is him leaving.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I don't see why he'd want to sign another contract with Newcastle now. If any club buys him in the summer he gets a £3.5m+ payoff and probably a wage increase and Champions League football; he's not gonna be turning that down in favour of a payrise on Tyneside.
Unless Newcastle get CL football?

Not totally far fetched as the other 3 in the race Arse, Chavs, Scouse don't seem to want it that much (:lol:)

I suppose Shitty might hoover him up though...

ciderman9000000

I don't know, it might be worth it to Newcastle to offer the same amount to Ba to stay, they'd just have to spread the 3.5m out over his contract. If he's worth it to another to come in and offer 7m and good wages then I'd think Newcastle could afford to basically do the same thing, if the alternative is him leaving.
That's a good point yeah, they'd effectively be bidding for their own player :houllier:

Would he want to stay though? He's doing well there, buy if Arsenal or Spurs came a'knocking I don't think it'd be too difficult a decision. Newcastle will always be a selling club.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
That's a good point yeah, they'd effectively be bidding for their own player :houllier:

Would he want to stay though? He's doing well there, buy if Arsenal or Spurs came a'knocking I don't think it'd be too difficult a decision. Newcastle will always be a selling club.
Arsenal and Spurs are selling clubs?

ciderman9000000

Arsenal and Spurs are selling clubs?
Is that a question?

Look, if you think Ba would turn down a move to one of the big London clubs in favour of staying at Newcastle, that's fair enough, I'm just saying that imo he'd make the move. Relative to a club like Newcastle, Arsenal and Spurs are not selling clubs.

Diablodave

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/...rn-to-newcastle-for-help-fan-strikes-deal-wit

Manchester United turn to Newcastle for help, fan strikes deal with Demba Ba
Posted by SPORT WITNESS on May 3, 2012 at 13:15 in Sport Witness Football
View Discussions

After the game on Monday night it all seemed over for Manchester United. Their fans were in the depths of misery and had conceded the title to their local rivals. The period of mourning had begun, faces were drained, people became snappy, dogs got kicked - you get the gist.

Anyway, now the sun seems to be rising a little. there's hope. Newcastle United's 2-0 win over Chelsea made many think the team can take points off City this weekend. Optimism is creeping in around the edges and despair has got company.

It could just be possible that this title race has another twist left yet and Manchester United fans are looking to Newcastle for help. The North East side need to get points to help their quest for the Champions League and in doing so could hand the title initiative back to Manchester United.

Fans are putting their faith in Cisse and Ba. One supporter tweeted Demba Ba after last night's victory to strike a deal with him, if Ba scores the winning goal against City then the fan will have his name on the back of his Manchester United shirt next season. Ba accepted the deal.

:lol::lol::lol: I swear i think i would do the same!!!

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
That's a great idea :lol:

Drifter

American
Demba Ba insists contract negotiations are ongoing with Newcastle United amid claims he had rejected a new offer.

The Senegal striker is away on holiday this week, but has left discussions over an improved deal in the hands of his management team.

Reports yesterday suggested that Ba had refused to renegotiate his current contract, which is believed to contain a £7m release clause.

But Ba last night insisted he hadn’t turned down the new terms on the table and that talks are still in hand.

Replying on Twitter to a Newcastle fan who asked about rumours that the striker wasn’t going to sign a new contract, Ba said: “I don’t (know) man. I just enjoy my holiday.

“My guys are working on it. We’ll wait to see how far the talks go.”

United boss Alan Pardew admitted last week that he’s not certain that Ba will be a Newcastle player next season, saying: “There is a clause there.

"There is a situation with his contract, and we are in talks with him and his agent. It is not a foregone conclusion that he will stay.”

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Rejected latest contract offer apparently:

According to the Press Association, Newcastle striker Demba Ba, 27, rejects the club's latest contract offer as they attempt to negotiate out the release clause contained in his initial deal.
Surprised a Liverpool, Spurs or Arsenal haven't attempted to buy him for the reported £7 million. He'd probably start for both Liverpool and Arsenal as well as challenge Adebayor and Defoe for a start at Spurs.

Cevno

Would be pretty good for Liverpool, imo. Though, i guess he is still a injury worry.

coolredwine

lameredboots
Newcastle striker Demba Ba faces fine

Ba’ s future at Newcastle United has been a constant source of speculation since his advisers leaked the existence of a £7 million release clause 12 months ago, but he caused a stir on Tyneside this week when he openly admitted Arsenal were “attractive” to him.

Newcastle are far from happy with the Senegal international, who made his comments on French television, and Pardew will discuss with managing director Derek Llambias what action to take.

Ba also criticised the team’s tactics and, as the interview was not sanctioned by the club’s press department, he is in breach of contract and could be fined two weeks wages, about £90,000.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
And only a 7.5 million release clause, there is nothing Newcastle can do.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Stupid move by newcastle to put that clause in surely? but i suppose they were always aware - and probably prepared for it.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Stupid move by newcastle to put that clause in surely? but i suppose they were always aware - and probably prepared for it.
It was probably a requirement from Ba's side for him to put pen to paper at Newcastle. It is a get-out-clause for a player if he proves to be a good signing.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
His good performance yesterday was overshadowed by Theo's heroics, I thought. Decent player.