Demba Ba

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
@CaulkinTheTimes: Ba isn't bargain he appears: £7.5m fee + agent fees + 80k weekly + 4yr deal (what he has asked from #Nufc) & unlikely to pass medical.

Brophs

The One and Only
So his agents are greedy enough to price even Chelsea out of the running? Righto.

SteveJ

Scout
I've yet to read of an agent who actually seeks to do what's best for his client, not himself. Sad times.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Realistically, he's the best stop gap before Falcao that Chelsea can get considering fee and wages...

Pretty much every other player would want that kind of money considering that the only striker they'd be competing against is Torres and considering the fact that it is Chelsea.

This makes me think that Torres will jump ship though as i still believe Falcao will move to Chelsea/Chelsea will buy another striker.

Leaving them with Ba/Lukaku/Falcao OR Other.

EDIT: Just seen that talks have apparently broken down. Maybe Chelsea have someone else lined up?

Ekeke

Money sounds fine to me. Chelsea probably just arent 100% sold on the idea of buying him. They should look at Benteke

Brightonian

@CaulkinTheTimes: Ba isn't bargain he appears: £7.5m fee + agent fees + 80k weekly + 4yr deal (what he has asked from #Nufc) & unlikely to pass medical.
People seem to make this argument all the time and it's so much bollocks. Torres wasn't £50mil all-inclusive. He was signed on a 5 and a half year deal, on a salary which is definitely more than 80k/week, and the deal will have had some hefty agent fees.

Likewise whatever price is being floated for Falcao would come with agent fees and a considerable salary. So George Caulkin's talking shit, basically.

prateik

Yeah.. If you start including wages, then it'll obviously sound like a lot.
10-12 (transfer+agent fees) isnt that much. Neither is 80k/week for a striker for Chelsea with his scoring record.

If his fitness is a concern, then that is another matter. Any club signing him would be taking that risk,

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
£7.5m is peanuts and £80k a week is a standard wage. I would never give him a 4-year deal with his dodgy knees unless he comes with a solid insurance policy. He's a very good player though and if they're certain that he won't have his career cut short by an injury that everyone has predicted for him for agea, he's be a good buy.

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
And that's the problem.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
He's an idiot for turning down Chelsea. Won't get a better club than that.

Ole'sbodyguard

The suggestion that he would not pass a medical is a cause for concern, no?

That suggests he has something very serious and the point made that one hit to the knee could end his career would mean he would be a big risk.

Chelsea have the funds to get just as good a player, even in January without such a risk.

Member 39557

Everton should sign him, he's in their price range and they'd be very decent if they had a good striker. Jellybitch is not hitting the net, and they've got nobody decent as an alternative.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
Scott Wilson ‏@Scottwilsonecho
Pardew on Ba: "In some respects I feel a bit sorry for Demba. People are representing him who aren't actually representing him."

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Pricing himself out of a move to Chelsea! Love it!

Should go to the Russians instead. Get 150k a week and play in a standard akinto the Scottish Premier.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Everton should sign him, he's in their price range and they'd be very decent if they had a good striker. Jellybitch is not hitting the net, and they've got nobody decent as an alternative.
No way in hell is he within our price range. Anichebe has been playing well this season as an alternative and the whole team has been scoring but has also been missing chances. It's not that we need a new player which will score them, but a bit of luck to go our way (and to stop having stupid defensive lapses) I'd rather tighten up the CM spot if i'm honest and if we do get a striker in, have it on loan rather than a buy.

SteveJ

Scout
What, you mean he is going to Chelsea? ;)

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
People seem to make this argument all the time and it's so much bollocks. Torres wasn't £50mil all-inclusive. He was signed on a 5 and a half year deal, on a salary which is definitely more than 80k/week, and the deal will have had some hefty agent fees.

Likewise whatever price is being floated for Falcao would come with agent fees and a considerable salary. So George Caulkin's talking shit, basically.
Ba's knee is the major factor why he's available so cheaply. No club would go near the wages he wants, unless they're desperate for a striker who can score and are willing to take the risk that his knees will hold up, despite no medical team willing to clear him as fit. This would likely mean no insurance company will be paying for his wages if he gets injured and needs to retire.

Now let's hope Liverpool decide they want in on him :smirk:

Member 39557

No way in hell is he within our price range. Anichebe has been playing well this season as an alternative and the whole team has been scoring but has also been missing chances. It's not that we need a new player which will score them, but a bit of luck to go our way (and to stop having stupid defensive lapses) I'd rather tighten up the CM spot if i'm honest and if we do get a striker in, have it on loan rather than a buy.
I meant in terms of transfer fee, rather than wages. I'd assume they'd be negotiable to an extent and the incentive would be that Everton are pushing for 4th, whereas his current team are flirting with danger at the moment.
Anichebe isn't going to score enough to get Everton into the top 4, neither is Jelavic on current form. Fellaini has been your best goalscorer, and he's not even a proper striker.

It was just a thought, but he'll probably end up where the most cash is anyway!

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I meant in terms of transfer fee, rather than wages. I'd assume they'd be negotiable to an extent and the incentive would be that Everton are pushing for 4th, whereas his current team are flirting with danger at the moment.
Anichebe isn't going to score enough to get Everton into the top 4, neither is Jelavic on current form. Fellaini has been your best goalscorer, and he's not even a proper striker.

It was just a thought, but he'll probably end up where the most cash is anyway!
Jelavic will pick up form, he's a good enough player not to. 'Second season syndrome' and all that. Anichebe, i am in agreeance with you but he's not really there to score lots of goals. He's there for the team, and is the only other player that can give us that directness when Fellaini is out.

In terms of transfer fee he's only available if we sell someone...and we aren't selling Baines/Fellaini in Jan.

Brophs

The One and Only
Scott Wilson ‏@Scottwilsonecho
Pardew on Ba: "In some respects I feel a bit sorry for Demba. People are representing him who aren't actually representing him."
I can never figure out this sort of thing. If I was a player and it was my agent's terms that were stopping a deal I wanted from going through then I'd look to bin the agent. It's just bizarre that they hold enough power to be able to actually influence things to this extent, and that players actually accept it. They must surely see their interests aren't being represented.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I can never figure out this sort of thing. If I was a player and it was my agent's terms that were stopping a deal I wanted from going through then I'd look to bin the agent. It's just bizarre that they hold enough power to be able to actually influence things to this extent, and that players actually accept it. They must surely see their interests aren't being represented.
Presumably they have contracts with agents and it's not as simple as just binning them?

Brophs

The One and Only
Presumably they have contracts with agents and it's not as simple as just binning them?
Most of those contracts have break clauses and/or clauses whereby if they do get rid of their agent he may be entitled to certain sums of money/percentages of earnings etc. over the lifetime of the agency agreement. It can be done. It might cost the player some money, but what does that matter if you don't have control over your career (never mind the fact clubs might be willing to subsidise those losses if it means they get the player).

Sewelly The Geordie

Pardew is just trying to maintain a working relationship with him in case he stays. Ass kissing.

Personally I'd rather we jettisoned Ba and his entourage and looked for a more stable, long term solution. This saga is going to rumble on and on until he eventually leaves the club.

Ekeke

Yes sell him, but blame yourselves. You're the ones who set up the deal and didnt sort out a new one a year ago when he had done well for you. You both benefitted hugely from the deal.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Pardew is just trying to maintain a working relationship with him in case he stays. Ass kissing.

Personally I'd rather we jettisoned Ba and his entourage and looked for a more stable, long term solution. This saga is going to rumble on and on until he eventually leaves the club.
You already have Cisse there, who has been pretty redundant playing second fiddle to Ba.
In a way it'd solve your striking situation.

Sewelly The Geordie

Yes sell him, but blame yourselves. You're the ones who set up the deal and didnt sort out a new one a year ago when he had done well for you. You both benefitted hugely from the deal.
Without the clause we wouldn't have got him in the first place. His career path is based around moving from club to club after a couple of years and making money for him and his agents at every move.

Without the getout clause, he wouldn't have signed for us because that places power in the hands of the selling club who can demand a bigger fee to sell him, preventing him from moving and making money off signing on and agents fees.

If Chelsea can't get thrash out a deal that is to his/their liking then it doesn't surprise me that the tight fisted fat bastard and his wage structure can't do the same thing. It's got to the point where it becomes a disruption to the long term progress of the team; I'm sick of reading about this every 5 minutes. I'd rather we got rid and invested in somebody who we can sign on a standard contract, who is willing to play where the manager tells him and can be a long term fixture at the club.

Tooni

That's true and given the strike rate of your scout team and specially Carr I won't be surprised if you managed to find as good a player for half the price and a lot younger.

redflash

EDIT thought this read Torres was all inc.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
I've yet to read of an agent who actually seeks to do what's best for his client, not himself. Sad times.
I thought Berbatovs agent handles everything pretty well, but we don't tend to get the full picture anyway so who knows?

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Out with Sturridge, in with Ba - very good business.

Xander45

Know-It-All Champion May 2009
I do wonder how long his medical failing knees will last before they do pack in, seems strange that he can't pass a medical but can play a couple of premier league seasons without any real issues.

Hitchcocker

I do wonder how long his medical failing knees will last before they do pack in, seems strange that he can't pass a medical but can play a couple of premier league seasons without any real issues.
This really. I am no doctor but surely if you can't pass a medical, it means you are unable to withstand the vigours of professional football.