Demba Ba

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I do wonder how long his medical failing knees will last before they do pack in, seems strange that he can't pass a medical but can play a couple of premier league seasons without any real issues.
Maybe his knees aren't as bad as some people think. That Stoke medical was around two years ago and I can't remember him being injured for a significant amount of time since then.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
I do wonder how long his medical failing knees will last before they do pack in, seems strange that he can't pass a medical but can play a couple of premier league seasons without any real issues.
He won't play every week for Chelsea though will he. He'll be a sub and start when Torres is rested. Hopefully this means Falcao is a long way off joining them, certainly won't be in this window now. I would expect they may dump Torres in the summer and bring him in in a swap plus cash deal to see him return to Atletico.

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
Maybe his knees aren't as bad as some people think. That Stoke medical was around two years ago and I can't remember him being injured for a significant amount of time since then.
Chelsea can afford the gamble though, they get a proven scorer in PL for peanuts and if he gets injured so be it.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
This really. I am no doctor but surely if you can't pass a medical, it means you are unable to withstand the vigours of professional football.
I think its more a case of no insurence company will touch him without a valid medical. If they still sign him then and his career is ended in his first couple of games bang goes a lot of cash.

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
It's been only a matter of time to him leaving as he's done it everywhere he's been.

Hopefully Ashley & co have a plan....a cunning plan that does not involve the Chuckle Brothers

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Can't really see why any top team would go for Ba if he is going to come with a hefty tag overall including all the fees due to his health..

Xander45

Know-It-All Champion May 2009
I believe he also failed the medical at West Ham and Newcastle but they signed him anyway. I honestly think the reason the release clause is there is because they don't have a clue how long he'll last, and if someone is willing to pay 7.5 million for him despite the knees then they'll take the cash thanks.

Just have to see what happens in the future.

RedRover

By all accounts the injury prevented previous moves to teams in Germany - Stuttgart in particular I think.

He's hardly missed a game to be fair but that's never a guarantee. The fact that Newcastle signed him for nothing on a partial "pay as you play" despite him doing well for West Ham shows you how concerned teams must have been.

Will be interesting to see what happens. Not sure clubs will be insterested in offering him massive wages given the situation.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
People talk about Ba's knee but he's played a whole lot of games. It may well be slowly but surely going but hey didn't Denis Law also have a dodgy knee? He still played plenty. Ba is certainly an upgrade on Sturridge. If Ba does break down Chelsea can afford to take the hit but if he doesn't they'll have a proper goalscorer to finish of the chances Torres no longer seems to have the self-belief to hit home.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
The medical issues make him sound like a human pyramid scheme. When the music stops someone may be stuck with a worthless investment.

Brophs

The One and Only
The medical issues make him sound like a human pyramid scheme. When the music stops someone may be stuck with a worthless investment.
Much like Stoke with Steven N'Ponzi.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Just got this text- Newcastle fans, dont throw away your shirts with 'Ba' on the back of them, simply add the letters 'stards' to the end, and it fits quite nicely!

newseasonticket

Would love to get cozy inside Wayne Bridge's pocke
Just got this text- Newcastle fans, dont throw away your shirts with 'Ba' on the back of them, simply add the letters 'stards' to the end, and it fits quite nicely!
Chelsea fans will be removing the DROG from their shirts.

Brophs

The One and Only
It seems some papers are reporting that he'll sign if he can pass the medical. Isn't it the case that he can't pass the medical due to the state of his knees, or is that just a media exaggeration?

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Could be a great piece of business.

For all those that think Ba and Cisse were one season wonders, they have scored loads for every team they have played for. Both quality.

Amir

It seems some papers are reporting that he'll sign if he can pass the medical. Isn't it the case that he can't pass the medical due to the state of his knees, or is that just a media exaggeration?
Impossible to tell what's the real story with those knees. He DID sign for Newcastle and West Ham. Anyhow, he can fail the medical and still be signed. With his apperance record and low fee, there's no real risk for Chelsea. You can sign a player with perfert knees and see him do a cruciate the next day.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Good bit of business by Chelsea here. Ba has been good each time I've seen him play and he will give them a totally different option up front. Surprised that he has gone for so cheap though, was his contract ending?

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
It's a very decent signing for Chelsea. But that's all. He's no Falcao is he.

Bohman

Of what I have seen of Lukaku I think he seems very promising. I would be happy if they continue to buy strikers lika Ba and force Lukaku out of Chelsea for good.

Varun

Staff
Of what I have seen of Lukaku I think he seems very promising. I would be happy if they continue to buy strikers lika Ba and force Lukaku out of Chelsea for good.
Unless you think buying RVP is going to force welbeck off, I dont see the connection. Lukaku is a very young promising player. Buying Ba wont have much of an impact long term

Devil may care

Could be a shrewd signing, he's a good player and completely motivated by money, so he'll be content alternating between being Torres back-up and one of the wide roles in the 3 behind him.

Chabon

Right, time to bring out my old favourite. In late January 2011 Chelsea sat 10 points behind Manchester United in 4th place, and since then they've made the following transfers:

Demba Ba £7,000,000
Wallace £5,000,000

Marko Marin £6,500,000
Eden Hazard £32,000,000
Júnior Oscar Dos Santos £25,000,000
César Azpilicueta £7,000,000
Victor Moses £9,000,000

Thibaut Courtois £6,000,000
Oriol Romeu £4,350,000
Romelu Lukaku £20,000,000
Ulises Dávila Plascencia £1,750,000
Juan Mata £23,500,000
Raul Meireles £12,000,000
Gary Cahil £7,000,000
Kevin De Bruyne £6,700,000
Patrick Bamford £1,500,000

Fernando Torres £50,000,000
David Luiz £26,000,000

250 million pounds spent to bring them all the way to...14 points behind Manchester United, in 4th place.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Right, time to bring out my old favourite. In late January 2011 Chelsea sat 10 points behind Manchester United in 4th place, and since then they've made the following transfers:

Demba Ba £7,000,000
Wallace £5,000,000

Marko Marin £6,500,000
Eden Hazard £32,000,000
Júnior Oscar Dos Santos £25,000,000
César Azpilicueta £7,000,000
Victor Moses £9,000,000

Thibaut Courtois £6,000,000
Oriol Romeu £4,350,000
Romelu Lukaku £20,000,000
Ulises Dávila Plascencia £1,750,000
Juan Mata £23,500,000
Raul Meireles £12,000,000
Gary Cahil £7,000,000
Kevin De Bruyne £6,700,000
Patrick Bamford £1,500,000

Fernando Torres £50,000,000
David Luiz £26,000,000

250 million pounds spent to bring them all the way to...14 points behind Manchester United, in 4th place.
But they have no squad depth. :nono:

TheReligion

Abusive
The club is a farce isn't it?

They already have Lukaku on their books, who looks a great prospect, but they would sooner send him on loan and spend money on Ba.

Laughable.

Revan

Assumptionman
The club is a farce isn't it?

They already have Lukaku on their books, who looks a great prospect, but they would sooner send him on loan and spend money on Ba.

Laughable.
Ba is much better than Lukaku at this moment. Considering that Chelsea does really need a striker to challenge Fernando Shit Torres, and considering that Ba cost only 7m this is a good signing for them, a thing that doesn't happen very often for Chelsea.