Gaming Destiny | Rise of Iron launch

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
What do you mean? Competitive multiplayer? Are you saying you think it will be 3vs3?
:confused:
According to that quote I posted from the joystiq website, it seems that it is teams of 3 on multiplayer too. Perhaps they could mean Battlefield like 'squads' though, or maybe it will be 3v3v3... and have more than two teams.

Kotaku played 45 minutes of it. Thought it was "kind of boring."

http://kotaku.com/i-played-45-minutes-of-destiny-and-it-was-kind-of-bori-1568127899
I'm not going to defend this game whatever is said about or anything, but that preview is a pretty shit one.

I mean, for starters, playing in what is essentially a wave mode (strike) doesn't offer much, she won't care about character level up, the loot she picks up, the customization, the lore, the story (is none in dungeon). It's like playing horde mode in Gears of War, it's limited in what it offers. She played the same strike 3 times and was all she played.

Still, the entire time I was playing, I primarily thought two things: 1) I wish I was playing the ever-exciting Titanfall instead and 2) I don't know where a game like Destiny will fit in a landscape that's full of shooters.
It's clearly not a game that you can jump in half way through, play a random game of horde with a stranger, with no regard for how you fare or your charecter and have a shit load of fun. I mean, the gameplay elements are very Halo - they're solid, rather than innovative or revolutionary. It was never going to overwhelm in that sense.

Destiny doesn't match the exhilaration that comes with playing with titans in Titanfall. It doesn't match the adrenaline rush high of Call of Duty. It doesn't have the same sort of memorable spirit as Borderlands. It doesn't have the sort of addicting loot that characterizes Diablo.
She can't compare it to COD/Titanfall as she hasn't played the competitive multiplayer yet (clearly that's what she's referring to with COD).

It won't have the memorable spirit of Borderlands because she didn't play in the campaign, she played a horde mode. The lore, the back story, the plot weren't present.

She can't say that the loot isn't as addicting to Diablo also. It wasn't her character, and she won't have known what the loot meant, and wasn't able to upgrade/modify the loot like she would in the game.

It's not really fair to be comparing a tiny part of this game, which is very limited in scope due to it's nature, and then compare it to the best part of other leading franchises.

afrocentricity

Hmm, maybe you're right... I'd be surprised though. I thought this game was more massively multiplayer than tiny teams...

Sent using Tapatalk

Alock1

Hmm, maybe you're right... I'd be surprised though. I thought this game was more massively multiplayer than tiny teams...

Sent using Tapatalk
You can do co-op wherever you are in the story (wherever they are too) and enemies scale, and there are raids/dungeons/exploration/side-missions so in that sense it's MMO. It seems they confirmed all that staff to be 3 players though, due to balance of classes (3 classes, so I assume you are forced to have one of each).

Dunno about the pvp side of it, 3v3 would be weird for that.

walsh

Nothing about this is really grabbing me so far. I mean, it looks like it could be good but I'm much more looking forward to the likes of The Division.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Nothing about this is really grabbing me so far. I mean, it looks like it could be good but I'm much more looking forward to the likes of The Division.
Same, but they're not really comparable IMO. Whatever people say, destiny is a fps to me.

walsh

Same, but they're not really comparable IMO. Whatever people say, destiny is a fps to me.
Oh no, I know they are very different. I just mean that Destiny seems very generic and basically just Halo mixed with a bit of Borderlands. Hope I'm proven wrong and it actually makes me go out and buy a next-gen console.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Oh no, I know they are very different. I just mean that Destiny seems very generic and basically just Halo mixed with a bit of Borderlands. Hope I'm proven wrong and it actually makes me go out and buy a next-gen console.
It actually doesn't look next gen to me. Looks very average graphic wise.

Alock1

Borderlands is a good game. A Borderlands with better gameplay mechanics (hit detection/gun play in particular), better graphics, better music, more customization, better bosses, better story, a more realized world then it would be a great game.

Add on these strike missions and the competitive multiplayer to the raiding/co-op and there is a ridiculous amount of content and options in this game.

Alock1

It actually doesn't look next gen to me. Looks very average graphic wise.
I think it looks great. It won't be helped that it's on last-gen no doubt. Perhaps it's the art style?

I mean, even the article from Lance by the woman who didn't like the game said how stunning it was, that it was a looker and the graphics were the first thing she noticed.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I think it looks great. It won't be helped that it's on last-gen no doubt. Perhaps it's the art style?

I mean, even the article from Lance by the woman who didn't like the game said how stunning it was, that it was a looker and the graphics were the first thing she noticed.
Maybe the video I watched was on old build then. Things just looked a bit flat. I'm still intrigued by it. Know anything about a beta for it? May try getting into one if there is as I know I won't fancy shelling out 50 on it without having a few goes of it first.

Alock1

Maybe the video I watched was on old build then. Things just looked a bit flat. I'm still intrigued by it. Know anything about a beta for it? May try getting into one if there is as I know I won't fancy shelling out 50 on it without having a few goes of it first.
You from the UK? Wherever you're from, pre-order from Amazon, they'll send you a code for the beta in like 2 minutes, then cancel the pre-order. You won't be charged a thing.

Then go to bungie.net, register/login and enter the code for BETA access. Coming this summer, I reckon they'll announce it at E3 and it'll hit (Playstation at least) in June.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
You from the UK? Wherever you're from, pre-order from Amazon, they'll send you a code for the beta in like 2 minutes, then cancel the pre-order. You won't be charged a thing.

Then go to bungie.net, register/login and enter the code for BETA access. Coming this summer, I reckon they'll announce it at E3 and it'll hit (Playstation at least) in June.
Cheers, I'll do it tomorrow when at the computer. I'll keep the pre order and only cancel if beta is a major let down though.

Lance Uppercut

According to that quote I posted from the joystiq website, it seems that it is teams of 3 on multiplayer too. Perhaps they could mean Battlefield like 'squads' though, or maybe it will be 3v3v3... and have more than two teams.

I'm not going to defend this game whatever is said about or anything, but that preview is a pretty shit one.

I mean, for starters, playing in what is essentially a wave mode (strike) doesn't offer much, she won't care about character level up, the loot she picks up, the customization, the lore, the story (is none in dungeon). It's like playing horde mode in Gears of War, it's limited in what it offers. She played the same strike 3 times and was all she played.

It's clearly not a game that you can jump in half way through, play a random game of horde with a stranger, with no regard for how you fare or your charecter and have a shit load of fun. I mean, the gameplay elements are very Halo - they're solid, rather than innovative or revolutionary. It was never going to overwhelm in that sense.

She can't compare it to COD/Titanfall as she hasn't played the competitive multiplayer yet (clearly that's what she's referring to with COD).

It won't have the memorable spirit of Borderlands because she didn't play in the campaign, she played a horde mode. The lore, the back story, the plot weren't present.

She can't say that the loot isn't as addicting to Diablo also. It wasn't her character, and she won't have known what the loot meant, and wasn't able to upgrade/modify the loot like she would in the game.

It's not really fair to be comparing a tiny part of this game, which is very limited in scope due to it's nature, and then compare it to the best part of other leading franchises.
She can only comment on what she played. In that respect, it looks fair enough to me.

afrocentricity

She does seem to want to dislike it though... she seems to be extrapolating her experience into what she thinks the whole game would be like. Fair enough if we do it, because we tend to be kneejerk idiots on the caf... but as a game journalist... I dunno...

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Could somebody clarify is this just a multi-player game or is there a single player campaign also?
Think there is a campain, as I am sure I read somewhere you need to do something in the game (get certain level, upto a point, or achievement) to unlock multiplayer.

Redo91

Think there is a campain, as I am sure I read somewhere you need to do something in the game (get certain level, upto a point, or achievement) to unlock multiplayer.
Actually not too sure, it's just competitive multiplayer which needs unlocking

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/05/01/destiny-competitive-multiplayer-needs-to-be-unlocked
Ya I get the impression it could be just multi-player. :( Call me old fashioned but I still prefer single player campaigns every day of the week.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Ya I get the impression it could be just multi-player. :( Call me old fashioned but I still prefer single player campaigns every day of the week.
I love a good old single player campaign too, too many idiots online in a lot of games who just ruin the experience for me.

Redo91

I love a good old single player campaign too, too many idiots online in a lot of games who just ruin the experience for me.
Ya it's for this reason I lost interest in COD. Modern Warfare had an excellent campaign but they focused too much with the on-line in MW2 and MW3. Out of curiosity do you know if The Division is only an online multi-player?

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Ya it's for this reason I lost interest in COD. Modern Warfare had an excellent campaign but they focused too much with the on-line in MW2 and MW3. Out of curiosity do you know if The Division is only an online multi-player?
I've heard that it does indeed have a single player. But you can drop in on games and stuff too I think if you want multiplayer. I think that will work quite well multiplayer.

Hopefully a few of the lads on the caf will join a division or something. If not I'll probably try getting friends to get it too.

Redo91

I've heard that it does indeed have a single player. But you can drop in on games and stuff too I think if you want multiplayer. I think that will work quite well multiplayer.

Hopefully a few of the lads on the caf will join a division or something. If not I'll probably try getting friends to get it too.
Ya sounds like that could be interesting. Cheers for the info! :)

Alock1

http://www.gamereactor.eu/articles/...+Hands-On+with+Bungie's+Shared+World+Shooter/

THE MODES: You can play Destiny multiple ways, entering each location giving you a series of options on how to explore. Patrol is the most free-roaming of all, letting you wander each area as you see fit, picking up jobs through audio beacons, salvaging loot and tackling enemies. There is a story-driven Campaign that can be played solo (though you still need to be online), which will be more directed. Focused combat missions come in thirty-minute Strikes, which direct you to multiple objectives in specific areas of the map and culminate in a boss encounter. Raids are later, larger versions of these, pulling in multiple fireteams. There's also the PvP Skirmish mode, though you need to play through a couple of hours of the game before you unlock it.
There's a ridiclous amount of content on that link for anyone really interested in the game. The above is for those concerned about whether it's single player/multi-player or whatever.

@afrocentricity - you might enjoy checking the full article above mate.

Last edited:

afrocentricity

The more they compare it to Halo, the more I lose interest... not that I dislike Halo (the first is one of my favourite games), it's just not what I was expecting. Max pop count is lower than I was expecting too, will have to play the beta and see what it's like...

Lance Uppercut

Activision will have spent around $500 million (£296m) developing, manufacturing and promoting Destiny by the time the game is released.

The remarkable figure was revealed by Activision CEO Bobby Kotick at the Milken conference in LA, Reuters reports.

"If you're making a $500 million bet you can't take that chance with someone else's IP," Kotick reportedly said. "The stakes for us are getting bigger."

A spokesperson for Activision later confirmed the $500 million figure was accurate, but stressed that it included marketing, packaging, infrastructure support, royalties and other costs.

According to analysts speaking to Reuters, the amount is likely to break the record for the most money spent on a single video game, with estimates that Rockstar spent around $260 million on Grand Theft Auto V. These analysts suggest that in order to break even, the game would have to sell around 15-16 million units.

"Bungie's very ambitious plan is designed to unfold over a ten-year period" an Activision spokesperson explained. "The depth of creative content, scope and scale is unprecedented and is required to bring Bungie's vision to life."

It also added that some of the $500 million has been spent on a new engine and a "robust backend infrastructure", which it noted "are upfront expenditures that should reduce future product development costs".

CVG recently published a hands-on Destiny preview, along with a lengthy preview video featuring fresh gameplay details and impressions.

Activision has confirmed a worldwide Destiny release date of September 9 on PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One.
CVG

:eek:

Alock1

Mental. 15m for a new IP is incredibly ambitious too.

Still, with it being on all platforms and considering the genre and the studio pedigree then they've got a decent chance.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Is there any good reason this isn't coming out on PC? It's an FPS with MMO elements ffs. Two genres that fits the PC more than consoles. This almost makes me as pissed off as Insomniac making Sunset Overdrive XBone only.

walsh

Is there any good reason this isn't coming out on PC? It's an FPS with MMO elements ffs. Two genres that fits the PC more than consoles. This almost makes me as pissed off as Insomniac making Sunset Overdrive XBone only.
Their reasoning is that they decided not to 'stretch themselves too thin' but thought it was a good idea to release it on the old consoles instead of PC. :wenger:

It's pretty mental.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Their reasoning is that they decided not to 'stretch themselves too thin' but thought it was a good idea to release it on the old consoles instead of PC. :wenger:

It's pretty mental.
It really is, especially considering the whole x86 architecture thing. I plan to get a PS4 but I'm not sold on this game. I hate the idea of playing an FPS on console.

walsh

It really is, especially considering the whole x86 architecture thing. I plan to get a PS4 but I'm not sold on this game. I hate the idea of playing an FPS on console.
I'm with you, this is the kind of huge budget game which will likely push me to get a PS4 but it's just not really grabbing me at the moment.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
I'm caught by it. Like Halo to Marathon, my take is Destiny is pretty much a spiritual successor to Halo. The story in Halo is actually quite good and Halo was always a challenging game on the tougher difficulties, which I expect this to be too. I'm probably going to buy an Xbox One for this (and Halo 5).

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I'm with you, this is the kind of huge budget game which will likely push me to get a PS4 but it's just not really grabbing me at the moment.
I'll be buying a PS4 when its released. I think the sheer scale of this game is just amazing and worth buying for that reason. I'd prefer to give my money for a project like this rather than some crappy Assassin Creed/COD remake. At least with Destiny they're pushing boundaries.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I'll be buying a PS4 when its released. I think the sheer scale of this game is just amazing and worth buying for that reason. I'd prefer to give my money for a project like this rather than some crappy Assassin Creed/COD remake. At least with Destiny they're pushing boundaries.
When you were talking about Infamous the other month, was that you speaking from playing it on someone else's PS4 or just seeing the gameplay videos?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
When you were talking about Infamous the other month, was that you speaking from playing it on someone else's PS4 or just seeing the gameplay videos?
edit:

Oh wait :lol:

I watched someone play it and had a go. I dunno why, but I always think of that game as Second Son. So got confused! Never played the previous titles.