Gaming Destiny | Rise of Iron launch

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City

It's quite "meh" to be honest. That Kotaku preview might be on to something.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Yeah it doesnt seem to demo well. A serious Borderlands with good gunplay.

Still, we haven't seen PVP yet and the dungeons/areas shown seem to be low level.

walsh

Genuinely looks like Halo and Borderlands had a love child. Still, looks solid enough in terms of gameplay and the MMO aspect will probably make it a lot of fun.

Doesn't help that people who 'leak' or preview games nearly always play them like they've never played a video game before.

WeasteDevil

I think that it's probably one of those games that only clicks when you actually play it. I will not be playing it as online games are really not my thing, but as I understand this there is so much depth under the hood in this game.

Alock1

Yeah the most interesting thing about this game is that it's a social hub MMO type game underneath. Dungeons, missions, side quests, areas to explore, pvp etc. Plus, you don't care about things like loot when you're watching videos only when you play it.

We haven't seen bosses yet, or PVP and like I said we haven't seen any higher level dungeons with multiple players.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Hang on, a mix between Halo and Borderlands can't be a bad thing surely? Is this coming out for PC aswell?

walsh

It can be if you don't like Halo or Borderlands. Personally, I appreciate both but have never been enamoured with either other than Halo mulltiplayer modes which are awesome.

Alock1

To be fair, the Halo inspiration is just on the look/style rather than anything else. It's more Borderlands for gameplay with a Halo coat of paint.

Cantona'sCollar

Hang on, a mix between Halo and Borderlands can't be a bad thing surely? Is this coming out for PC aswell?
It seems they are going back on their word, instead making it for X1, 360, PS3 & PS4 only.

Edit: I only intended to buy it for the PS4 anyway, but I see why PC users are pissed. Plus, it's an MMO - if one could choose just one console to make it on, then PC makes the most sense.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I didn't realise that this is going to be an MMO. I was hoping for an offline single player mode.

Does any one know whether a monthly subscription will be required for this like many other MMO's?

Alock1

I didn't realise that this is going to be an MMO. I was hoping for an offline single player mode.

Does any one know whether a monthly subscription will be required for this like many other MMO's?
You can play it single player but have to be online dude. No subscription it's a one off fee.

JackXX

I think it will be good. Didn't realise there was literally no single player campaign though.

Zak Smith

It does look a little bland, but Bungie have always been superb at creating online experiences and belting community features. I remember they were supporting Halo 3 for years after release through paid and free DLC.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think it will be good. Didn't realise there was literally no single player campaign though.
They've said they'll have the usual fully fleshed out story/campaign... make of that what you will. Set pieces? possibly... Cut scenes, probably...

Lance Uppercut

Originally Posted by LukeSmith

There's a lot of confusion here, and we haven't done the best job ever of explaining the game or its structure.

I'm Luke, and I'm one of the lead designers on Destiny.

First, Destiny is structured into Activities.

We've attempted to build a suite of activities that can suit a variety of moods (I want something challenging! I want to chill out with my friends! I want to see where the story goes next! I want to shoot other players!, I want the game to be a cruel dominatrix! et cetera)

These activities come in a bunch of flavors:

• Story missions - soloable activities (you can still play them in groups of up to 3!), often with ties to the main story arc of Destiny (the campaign). These activities appear at various Levels (numerical, relative to the player) and choosing a higher level (relative to you) means you're opting in for some additional challenge.
  • Strikes - 3 player activities, with bosses and loot at the end. Their goal is a highly replayable activity that will - at higher levels - lead you into the loot game.
  • Explore - cruise around the surface of a planet in Fireteams of up to 3, taking odd jobs and tasks for the City. You can find minerals and resources out in the world that you'll have some use for as you find weapons in Destiny that you want to stick with. This is a lower intensity activity
  • Raids - 6 player, cooperative required, communication required gameplay. High challenge. We haven't talked much about this yet and I'm not going start that conversation here on NeoGAF
  • Multiplayer This is for the "shoot other players" mood.

Now, the second part is how the world has been built.

We've structured Destiny's world to have places where you will probably intersect with other players, and places where you won't. We're not going to have players drop into the climax of a mission, but the common landing zones for a given planet? That seems like a great place to see other players running amok in the world.

EDIT: Regardless of what activity you're playing (PVP aside), you'll see players on their own activities, i.e., players beginning a Strike might see a guy collecting Relic Iron on Mars, and a Public Event begins and suddenly everyone is distracted to take down a key Cabal target for a chance at powerful gear and materials to upgrade your best weapons and armor.

A bunch of folks are playing the Alpha now and we're already seeing all kinds of opportunities for places to improve Destiny. I have no doubt that in the Public Beta, we will learn even more from your feedback and experiences.

I'm not going to get into any of the recurring activities or gearing or class stuff today, but I imagine we'll start to try and explain stuff more soon.

Lance Uppercut

It certainly provides some context which 5 minute vids don't convey.

JackXX

Thanks for posting that Lance. I guess we will be finding out plenty soon but liking the sound of that.

afrocentricity

Want to hear more about the raids, 6 is a good number IMO, will be great to get a few caf members together to do them...

Last edited:

Alock1

Weve barely seen any of it yet. Interested to see their take on PVP after being a big Halo fan.

I hope they can make that feel different. It's bound to have some Halo influence, I just hope they can give it its own style and feel.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
I played a multiplayer stress test beta of it a month or so back and due to it being a small area it didn't sell it to me really but you could see the potential was there. It's still a game I'm very much looking forward to, especially when played with friends in a group etc and judging from that post above on NeoGaf.

Alock1

I was expecting lots of gameplay footage on this in Sonys conference.

Alock1

Alock1

Why would you want it to be anything like COD? I don't get this.

Lots of shooters have tried to copy cod and guess what? Everyone goes back to COD after a week.
Sorry I find that quote disappointing. I didn't realise I hadn't actually made my thoughts known, my bad.

Castia

The embargo is lifted and I've watched a few videos, I think it looks excellent. The graphics are great and I like the fps/mmo mix up. I can't believe there's no PC version though, I wonder what the reasons are for this.

afrocentricity

Sorry I find that quote disappointing. I didn't realise I hadn't actually made my thoughts known, my bad.
Why though? I prefer realism to bullet sponges, that's one of the things CoD has gotten right... I suppose you could say this is SciFi/fantasy and armour blah blah blah but it makes you value your life more knowing that if you don't execute correctly then you are going down...

Alock1

I guess it depends on how the game is set up, the maps etc.

On Halo and Gears it is great because you can have long 1v1 fights with people where strategy and tactics come into play rather than who saw who first. The person who saw the other first had an advantage but they werent generally the win and the player under attack would have the ability to turn, roll, jump, dodge etc. and return fire.

On Cod, I have always played hardcore snd, so I guess it's silly for me to say I don't like low health modes.

I didnt like on Cod how on normal modes if you shoot someone across the map they have good time to duck behind cover and get away. The game didn't encourage 1v1 battles in those moments. On normal, it encourages players to run out and try to get a quick kill before their next death because they don't worry about people across the map seeing them. On hardcore they know they can't just run around aimlessly because one hit will kill them, and that would mean sitting out for the rest of the round.