Di Maria replacement if he decides to leave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roman Bellic

Prick
Could be. But on paper it looks like an unnecessarily weakening of the squad.

Di Maria playing like he did at the copa for us next season sounds more appealing to me.
The thread is about "possible replacements for ADM if he decides to leave" not who you would want to sell him for, only making realistic suggestions based on that.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
ADM for KDB. Although De Bruyne probably complicates Memphis' situation. I don't like the idea of Reus and Memphis on both flanks with our only real creator being Herrera in midfield.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The thread is about "possible replacements for ADM if he decides to leave" not who you would want to sell him for, only making realistic suggestions based on that.
Well yeah, and then we naturally discuss whether those possibly replacements make sense or not.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Forgot what that Fekir was called can anyone help me out? Plays for Lyon, the Fekir was responsible for almost all of Lacazette's goals and had a storming season. Think the Fekir is only 21 years old and has capped 4 times for France and scored 1 as well.

Whoever that Fekir is, he's one promising player.

Roman Bellic

Prick
Well yeah, and then we naturally discuss whether those possibly replacements make sense or not.
Which we did (or rather you asked about a player you haven't seen much of) and i told you, then you went on about the unnecessary weakening of the squad and Di Maria sounding more appealing like it was a debate about who is better between the two.

RedorDead21

Some of the players on here being suggested for possible makeweights are laughable. We broke the PL record for him and now if he asks to leave we are going to accept a box of smarties for him. If PSG or Bayern want him so much they can give up their best player for him! Lewandowski or the likes.....The Ramos/De Gea situation fills me with hope. Half in here would have accepted a piece of the madrid turf instead.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
We'll buy another winger who'll be inconsistent, then ship him off and restart the cycle.

If we're going to buy a player to play on the wing in a 4-4-2 (or variation), then he'll most likely be inconsistent as wingers usually are. However, if we're planning on playing with wide forwards, then it's a different story.

ChaddyP

Wingers are in abundance. Strikers are not. Would only swap him for a top top striker and we buy some other winger like greizman or something. Cash alone for di Maria doesn't help us.

Ekeke

We'd need a proper winger or a proper striker. We have more than enough centrally, in fact its hard to fit everyone in as it is

Griezmann would just about count as a proper striker

van Persie

Forgot what that Fekir was called can anyone help me out? Plays for Lyon, the Fekir was responsible for almost all of Lacazette's goals and had a storming season. Think the Fekir is only 21 years old and has capped 4 times for France and scored 1 as well.

Whoever that Fekir is, he's one promising player.
Nabil Fekir. Haven't watched him alot but he mostly played behind Lacazette in Lyon. Looks pretty good. Not sure he'd be a good replacement for di Maria on the wing if we do sell (which I hope we don't).

Bwuk

Zero chance he leaves unless PSG offer us more than what we paid.

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals
DRAXLER!

This guy has it all in my opinion, once he gets over his injuries.

Another wildcard could be Viktor Fischer.
Only recently returned after a year+ long of hamstring injuries, I rather we don't sign crocks or let him prove his fitness first.

Dracula

caf plane air-master
Zero chance he leaves unless PSG offer us more than what we paid.
Thats never going to happen. With the state of the euro even if they paid the same amount we did in euros, we'd still be, what somewhere between 5-10m down?

Add onto that:

We overpaid (that's fine, sometimes you have to)

He's a year older

He's had a really bad year.

Lvg (appears) to want him gone. This one is, i think the main one. People keep talking like it's ADM who wants to leave but i think it's more LVG doesn't trust him. Looks like we're clearing out anyone who hasn't performed and might not perform

amolbhatia50k

Which we did (or rather you asked about a player you haven't seen much of) and i told you, then you went on about the unnecessary weakening of the squad and Di Maria sounding more appealing like it was a debate about who is better between the two.
That seems logical. We wouldn't want to replace a player we have with a vastly inferior player now would we?

Baxter

Nabil Fekir. Haven't watched him alot but he mostly played behind Lacazette in Lyon. Looks pretty good. Not sure he'd be a good replacement for di Maria on the wing if we do sell (which I hope we don't).
Fekir said he's staying this season. He only got his break last year so he'll stay for another year at least.

Griezmann is basically a striker. There aren't many wingers I'd think are available and better than ADM. A poor first year doesn't make him useless.

Bwuk

Thats never going to happen. With the state of the euro even if they paid the same amount we did in euros, we'd still be, what somewhere between 5-10m down?

Add onto that:

We overpaid (that's fine, sometimes you have to)

He's a year older

He's had a really bad year.

Lvg (appears) to want him gone. This one is, i think the main one. People keep talking like it's ADM who wants to leave but i think it's more LVG doesn't trust him. Looks like we're clearing out anyone who hasn't performed and might not perform
What makes you think he wants him gone?

Di Maria had more assists than anyone in the squad. Yes, he didn't have his best season, but Van Gaal won't just punt him. Di Maria has had a hard last 12 months, from being injured thus missing the biggest game of his life (WC Final), his club not wanting him despite him being one of their best performers, moving to a country where he can't speak the language and getting robbed.

Not to mention it'll look bad to potential future signings that if you have a difficult start to your United career, we will just get rid.

Zero chance he goes unless we are offered silly money.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

If we are stupid enough to let him go only someone in the bracket of Bale or Reus will be good enough to replace him.

NK86

Ideally, Bale. But that is not going to happen so rather stick with Di Maria. Griezmann is not the type of player Di Maria is. A wide attacker who will get you goals when he has someone to feed him but we need a proper creative force in the team as well.

Roman Bellic

Prick
That seems logical. We wouldn't want to replace a player we have with a vastly inferior player now would we?
Ofcourse not, but if you are here to compare every suggested replacement on this thread to Di Maria like for like then we might as well close the thread, it definitely makes more sense to keep ADM, but like i said - the thread is about possible replacements(based on the assumption that the reports are true) not who would you like to discard Di Maria for - so in that context saying "Di Maria is more appealing" is kind of unnecessary, of course he is more appealing, he is more appealing than 99% of the realistic targets mentioned on this thread.

It also depends on which Di Maria we are replacing, 2013/14 Di Maria or 2014/15 Di Maria.

amolbhatia50k

Ofcourse not, but if you are here to compare every suggested replacement on this thread to Di Maria like for like then we might as well close the thread, it definitely makes more sense to keep ADM, but like i said - the thread is about possible replacements(based on the assumption that the reports are true) not who would you like to discard Di Maria for - so in that context saying "Di Maria is more appealing" is kind of unnecessary, of course he is more appealing, he is more appealing than 99% of the realistic targets mentioned on this thread.

It also depends on which Di Maria we are replacing, 2013/14 Di Maria or 2014/15 Di Maria.
No we wouldn't need to close this thread, we would actually make those comparisons as that seems the logical point of this, to me. Even if Di Maria comes off better in most cases, it probably depends on by how much. And the ones where he doesn't or might not are key.

Regardless, now we're getting into semantics and random-talk.

The last bit is the difficult bit. But I don't personally believe that was representative of his abilities. He's had many goods seasons so one bad one doesn't make him a bad player. He was really good at the Copa America. So if we're looking at Di Maria as a player I'd say somewhere between his 13/14 levels and his levels before that for Madrid.

amolbhatia50k

Many have mentioned De Bruyne but ain't he No.10 rather then a winger ?
That's what I thought. Surprised to see him mentioned a lot in these discussions. Has he played a wide midfielder before?

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
The media have lied about Gaitan. I remember the original stories were Di Maria recommended him to us. Nothing to suggest we're interested. We could buy him in our sleep if we were interested but we're not. We've a big squad but ideally ADM stays. If he leaves, I would like Draxler. He's young, creative and we should be able to get him - if we wanted him.

Roman Bellic

Prick
Gaitan already agreed tba after AdM move apparently (well according to the Metro – so that's probably :nono:)
Valued at 26m, he had 6 goals and 17 assists in 35 appearances last season, he can dribble and likes to cut inside, its only the Metro but as we have been linked to him for so long it wouldnt surprise me if we actually signed him this summer, our scouts must obviously rate him.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
That's what I thought. Surprised to see him mentioned a lot in these discussions. Has he played a wide midfielder before?
He does tend to drift wide right a lot of the times. Wouldn't be a conventional winger by any stretch but he's pretty fecking good.

Status
Not open for further replies.