Di Maria replacement if he decides to leave

Status
Not open for further replies.

FromTheBench

Griezman's was at his best last season as a forward/striker pretty much.

Maybe signing him makes sense as he can then Cover 2 roles to a high level.

But he isn't type of explosive dribbler like Di Maria.

RedorDead21

Absolutely. Beyond him and Memphis (who's unproven in the league) we don't have anyone else that can dribble at pace.
But several of those mentioned are unproven in the league or in the case of De Bruyne failed in this league.....

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Januzaj?

Atrocious last season, but I'm sure that was more growing pains than lack of talent.
it's pretty funny how quickly people were to dismiss him. the guy has played probably less than 200 minutes since he turned 20, and given what he did in his first season here, we should have higher expectations for him this year. he'll come good.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
it's pretty funny how quickly people were to dismiss him. the guy has played probably less than 200 minutes since he turned 20, and given what he did in his first season here, we should have higher expectations for him this year. he'll come good.
I agree. Fantastic player in the making. It's amazing how little latitude up and coming players seem to get these days.

FromTheBench

Young isnt a particularity good dribbler. He rarely beats a full back.
He beat many fullbacks last season when he was on form. Infact totally skinned more than Di Maria did last season probably.

Not that i rate him to be that consistent again but still he is a pretty decent dribbler from a standing start and quick too.

ThanksBoss26

I'd expect a hell of a lot more from Januzaj next season after a proper summer's break. Don't think the World Cup did him any favours last year.

Crashoutcassius

People are acting like we played title winning football last year. In De Gea, we are losing the player that was the difference between us finishing 4th and 8th, not an exaggeration. We should be trying to imrpove going forward, not lose our top assister and only world class attacker

RedorDead21

I haven't got a clue but if you're suggesting Depay and Mata can play every game next season then i don't know what to say.
If your suggesting the most expensively assembled squad in PL history, and that was before this summers outlay, has no options on the wings others than the 2 you mentioned, I don't know what to say either.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
He's not explosive enough to be a winger imo.
He doesn't have stunning pace (although he's no slouch), but he's got lovely balance and a slaloming style. He's well capable of beating players regularly, as he showed plenty of times in his first season.

He may not be a winger in the long run, but that's where he's most likely to get games in the short term.

RedorDead21

I'd expect a hell of a lot more from Januzaj next season after a proper summer's break. Don't think the World Cup did him any favours last year.
This. He's highly regarded by every pro associated with the club and those who no longer are!

RetroStu

If your suggesting the most expensively assembled squad in PL history, and that was before this summers outlay, has no options on the wings others than the 2 you mentioned, I don't know what to say either.
It wasn't me that suggested those 2 ffs, read the thread before trying to be a smart arse.

NoPace

From another thread I wrote this earlier in the summer:

A quick list of wide players with 10+ League Goals in Big Domestic Leagues in Europe this year:
(Rightfooted players in italics)

England - Sanchez, Hazard, Silva, Chadli
Germany - Robben, Bellarabi, Son,
Spain - Cristiano, Messi, Neymar, Bale, Nolito, James Rodriguez,
Italy - Callejon, Felipe Anderson,
France - Gradel, Fekir

Maybe someone can add Portugal, Netherlands and any I missed.

and maybe add Lacazette and Griezmann who have scored over 20 goals and have experience out wide so seem like decent bets to have gotten there if they were playing out wide.

So, if we want someone proven and considering that Messi, Cristiano, Sanchez, Hazard, Silva, Bale, Robben and James aren't moving this summer, the list is pretty short. I haven't seen enough to endorse or disparage him but Nolito, despite being 28 would be an interesting gamble if it was cheap enough. That one will seem out of nowhere, but he put up an amazing 13 goals and 13 assists in 32 starts for a mediocre team, is getting Spanish caps now and Whoscored says he did it all from the left-wing. He is right-footed though, so no idea if he could play on the right. If we want to spend the Di Maria money elsewhere and Januzaj is seen as nailed on for the role in 2-3 years, it could make sense to sign an older player ready to go right away. Obviously Robben or Cristiano (presumably will become a 9 in 2-3 years) would be better, but that ain't happening this summer.

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
If we let him go he will go down as a stunning flop.
Need to give him another season to prove himself.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Include Lucas Moura in the deal. Memphis and Lucas on either flank would be a massive headache for any defense, and free up space for Rooney.

Edit: I hope he doesn't leave in the end, though.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Although, I don't see a reason to let Di Maria leave. He had a poor season but still directly contributed to 14 goals. This season the team will be a lot more balanced, I expect him to be a lot better. If not then ship him out next summer.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
How is Draxler doing at Schalke? Looked a very promising player afew years ago.

suheilsworld

I would be gutted seeing him leave. Really love him as a player and a person. Hope he stays and proves all doubters wrong. If he goes, put Agent Bastian on duty to get Reus!

TheLoveless

Young isnt a particularity good dribbler. He rarely beats a full back.
In terms of getting past their defender to make a cross I think he was fantastic last season. Our best and most consistent player except De Gea IMO

Infra-red

Any of Ronaldo, Bale, Reus, Gotze, Muller would be more than suitable replacements, but the chances of any of them leaving are slim to none.

We'd almost certainly have to take a gamble of sorts on a younger player like L. Moura or F. Anderson.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Griezman's was at his best last season as a forward/striker pretty much.

Maybe signing him makes sense as he can then Cover 2 roles to a high level.

But he isn't type of explosive dribbler like Di Maria.
This bit is key. We need more of this in the team.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
If he does go, and I really hope he doesn't I'd just give Januzaj more responsibility and he could be Mata's understudy. He was disappointing last season after doing so well the season before but I can't think of many wingers out there who are available.

So yeah, lets keep Di Maria. Hopefully it's the French press wishful thinking...

Status
Not open for further replies.