Film Die Hard is on Film 4/ Film 4+1

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Deleted member 101472

Die hard looks like peter rabbit compared to the last 3 fast and the furious movies

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Not one mention of Lethal Weapon 2?

Like not one?!

It even has Patsy Kensits tits like ffs.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Bah! Damn you Elvis! You know Die Hard threads are like the Bat-Signal to me.

Greatest action film of all time along with T2.
Thats at least 2/3rds of a correct statement.

Both are great. But ask yourself this... How often are films referred to as "T2 in a place"? or "T2 on a thing"? or "T2, but with The Rock, and also in a Zoo, but also in space!"?

Then consider how many times films have been described as "Die Hard in a house" (Home Alone) or "Die Hard on a boat" (Under Siege) or "Die Hard on a Train" (Under Siege 2) "Die Hard on a plane" (Con Air/Air Force One/Snakes On a Plane....There are a shit load of these, fwiw) or "Die Hard in The White House" (Both of those terrible recent films, one of which had Jamie Fox in)?

When you actually think about it, Die Hard is clearly the most bigly proto-typical action film. Plus, also also, one of the henchmen is Vigo from Ghostbusters II. So that's pretty cool, innit?

I like Die Hard, but T2 and Predator are on a different level.
See above.

And there is noway either film are better than Predator.
Of the legendary John McTiernan films of that era, it goes Die Hard > Predator > Die Hard 3 > Hunt For Red October > Last Action Hero.

All of which are awesome. (Last Action Hero might actually rank higher if released today. Way-ahead of it's time, super-meta Shane Black bizzle, motherfecker!!)

Predator and Commando are both up there.
Commando is a campy B movie, elevated by Vernon Wells' super eccentric turn as the most homoerotic bad guy, ever!

Watch it twice in a row and you have Die Hard 2.
Die Hard 2 is a passable, above average Die Hard. But all true aficionados know the proper ranking is 1 > 3 > 2.

There are no other films beyond this point. However you could make a case....

* Pointless Trivia: Shane Black actually played early kill fodder Hawkins in Predator, because the Studio wanted him to write more shit for them...

In unrelated news, he’s currently writing the new Predator film. Which is dope.

Not one mention of Lethal Weapon 2?

Like not one?!

It even has Patsy Kensits tits like ffs.
LW2 was not written by Shane Black, or directed by John McTeirnan/James Cameron, and thus intrinsically less worthy of non-Die Hard related action movie greatness.

Last edited:

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
@Mockney was definitely drunk last night
I'm never quite sure if LW2 and one of the lines I always enjoyed might have been a bit racist. When Danny Glover is causing a diversion in the South African Embassy by applying for residency and the official says something like "But talk to your friend, this is not a good idea" and they say "Why" and the official responds with "Um...because he is...black" - is that dodgy because I always thought it was funny plus although Patsy Kensit couldn't act (whatever happened to Patsy?) I too enjoyed seeing her boobs.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
Didn't the ending of Skyfall get called out for being Home-Alonish and thus Die Hard-ey?
Jesus! You might be onto something here(There actually is a creepy similarity between the two endings). Although personally I think Die Hard is just a remake of it's wonderful life set in a office tower.

Ending scene in Die Hard(1988)

Ending scene in It's a Wonder Life(1946)

Hard not to see the clear connections here.

Last edited:

Yagami

Good post resistant
I still haven't seen this. Was going to watch it tonight as the adverts got me hyped but I missed it. I'll have to download it.

With the heat, I'm not even bothering going to bed. I'm watching "Devil May Call" on Horror Channel +1 now and then "The Strangers" is on at 2:50am which I'll watch as well.

Member 39557

I still haven't seen this. Was going to watch it tonight as the adverts got me hyped but I missed it. I'll have to download it.

With the heat, I'm not even bothering going to bed. I'm watching "Devil May Call" on Horror Channel +1 now and then "The Strangers" is on at 2:50am which I'll watch as well.

Watch it.