Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Jefe

Imagine how many pages AWB would have after such a performance. He was dreadful but to his credit he put in a decent cross for the goal.

I've maintained he's not as good as a lot of you think. He a decent to solid RB and nothing more.

Lights Out

Just absolutely awful. But that’s what he is.

His distribution, positioning, tackling and awareness are just so poor.

He wouldn’t be a starter for any other top 6 team.

youngrell

Needs to recover his match rhythm sharpish if he wants to hold onto that spot as today was awful and AWB will deserve to come right back in.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
That was horrible from him. Needs to find his form again. Was full of praise for him pre world Cup, hopefully just rusty post injury

CloneMC16

Pretty bad, but we didn't have much choice but start him. He hasn't played in about 6 weeks. Will give him a pass.

Nice cross for Rashford, though.

Long Time Red

Can't say I'm surprised he struggled against Gnoto as he's never been good at defending against quick and tricky wingers.

Danjuma absolutely destroyed him last season.

It's funny how some of AWB's performances were dismissed as they were only against the likes Forest, Bournemouth and Wolves.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
So the problem I have with Dalot is that when he's playing well, I still don't really know what he's good at. I just notice the things he's bad at less.

I don't think it's ever a great sign for a player if the mark of them playing well is them getting through a game without fecking up as much as usual, rather than actually doing anything good.

Then on top of that you have to contend with the not so good games like today where they're a walking catastrophe.

I mean, what is he actually better at than Bissaka? Supposedly on the ball/going forwards, but I don't like him ever having the ball in our half because of how bad he is at passing or keeping it, and going forwards the moments when he actually gets it right are a shock. Usually he'll make the wrong choice or try a ridiculous shot or just won't be where he should be.

What tonight made me realise is I feel a lot more comfortable when Bissaka is there because he's less likely to cause a sudden disaster, and neither of them are exactly going to be why we win the game going forwards.

Also when he was just standing 30 yards out of position tonight while Varane had half the Leeds team boxing him back towards his own goal. Sorry but that is just either unprofessional or dumbflundingly stupid and either way I was amazed he didn't get taken off straight after because ordinarily that'sexactly the sort of shite Ten Hag has zerro tolerance with. You can't be carrying players through games who are going to pull shite like that.

NZT-One

So the problem I have with Dalot is that when he's playing well, I still don't really know what he's good at. I just notice the things he's bad at less.

I don't think it's ever a great sign for a player if the mark of them playing well is them getting through a game without fecking up as much as usual, rather than actually doing anything good.

Then on top of that you have to contend with the not so good games like today where they're a walking catastrophe.

I mean, what is he actually better at than Bissaka? Supposedly on the ball/going forwards, but I don't like him ever having the ball in our half because of how bad he is at passing or keeping it, and going forwards the moments when he actually gets it right are a shock. Usually he'll make the wrong choice or try a ridiculous shot or just won't be where he should be.

What tonight made me realise is I feel a lot more comfortable when Bissaka is there because he's less likely to cause a sudden disaster, and neither of them are exactly going to be why we win the game going forwards.

Also when he was just standing 30 yards out of position tonight while Varane had half the Leeds team boxing him back towards his own goal. Sorry but that is just either unprofessional or dumbflundingly stupid and either way I was amazed he didn't get taken off straight after because ordinarily that'sexactly the sort of shite Ten Hag has zerro tolerance with. You can't be carrying players through games who are going to pull shite like that.
I agree. Really don't get the hype he got for a while. Our fullbacks aren't awesome for quite some time but because Dalot wasn't shit, many painted him as really good. Was back in all his averageness today. Nothing new.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Clearly very rusty yesterday. Hopefully this run of games gets him back to pre world cup levels.

Raven

Been out for almost 6 week's and the detractors come crawling out of the woodwork on his first game back.

footballbite

Been out for almost 6 week's and the detractors come crawling out of the woodwork on his first game back.
Yep, absurdly knee-jerk reactions in this thread considering he was clearly and understandably still rusty.

Oranges038

Incredibly overrated on here. Decent but we should be looking to upgrade.
I think you're right. Both about him being over rated and needing to be upgraded. He's not done a whole pile wrong this season, but overall you look at what he offers as a player. There's nothing special about him, he has no outstanding qualities, other than he's better on the ball than AWB.

I honestly think both him and AWB need to be replaced, neither of them are good enough.

Davie Moyes

Short memories from most fans? Cut the guy some slack. He was very good pre World Cup. Let's hope he can get back to those levels pretty quick.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Was poor, but I'm not worried. He looks like a decent fullback, he's just not match fit and was left alone on that RW. Did well to get the assist. Far from our biggest issues.

Ludens the Red

Was poor, but I'm not worried. He looks like a decent fullback, he's just not match fit and was left alone on that RW. Did well to get the assist. Far from our biggest issues.
After signing a centre forward, he is most definitely the next player that needs upgrading on. Other than Dalots performance against West Ham, Wan Bissaka produced better all round performances than he did in the few games he played than dalot has all season.
A few have said it but he’s a bit over rated on here. The only difference to Dalot this season than to previous is that hes not as much of a liability defensively as he was previously. He is most definitely the sore thumb in our strongest eleven minus whichever player is up front.

Like most of the players he was slack last night and gave the ball away too much. Still managed a nice assist. Hopefully he starts getting back to speed on Sunday.

OverratedOpinion

Incredibly overrated on here. Decent but we should be looking to upgrade.
I think we have just been incredibly starved of a top level right back since that one season Valencia looked like a Btec Dani Alves (which is still incredible).

He is a very decent player but he can obviously be upgraded with the manager choosing which of him or AWB to keep as backup. Probably not a priority right now given we probably need to spend over 100 million on a striker.

bosnian_red

After signing a centre forward, he is most definitely the next player that needs upgrading on. Other than Dalots performance against West Ham, Wan Bissaka produced better all round performances than he did in the few games he played than dalot has all season.
A few have said it but he’s a bit over rated on here. The only difference to Dalot this season than to previous is that hes not as much of a liability defensively as he was previously. He is most definitely the sore thumb in our strongest eleven minus whichever player is up front.
Nah. It's CF as the top priority, then sorting out our midfield (a true younger DM as Casemiro backup, a partner Casemiro who is comfortable when pressed), and then a goalkeeper who knows how to claim crosses and pass out from the back. He can be average at everything else, these 2 aspects hurt us the most.

After these 4, probably next is replacing Maguire as CB cover for Varane. After that I'll give you right back. But it's well down the pecking order.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
You think getting a RB is higher priority than GK and one or two midfielders? Possibly we need two CFs. So RB is priority number 5.

GMoore23

The overreactions in here are crazy. He's barely played for us since the first week of November. Totally lacking match sharpness and should never have started last night.

He's been really good this season for the most part.

Ludens the Red

Nah. It's CF as the top priority, then sorting out our midfield (a true younger DM as Casemiro backup, a partner Casemiro who is comfortable when pressed), and then a goalkeeper who knows how to claim crosses and pass out from the back. He can be average at everything else, these 2 aspects hurt us the most.

After these 4, probably next is replacing Maguire as CB cover for Varane. After that I'll give you right back. But it's well down the pecking order.
You think getting a RB is higher priority than GK and one or two midfielders? Possibly we need two CFs. So RB is priority number 5.
I feel like strengthening our strongest eleven should take priority over the back ups to Casemiro and Eriksen. That’s usually how it works no? Sort your strongest team out first. That appears to be the way Ten Haag works anyway…We only had two centre forwards in the summer and about four centre backs but he still chose to sign a centre back above a cf because it was a bigger priority.

I don’t even know how to respond to the implication that Dalot is more important than DeGea to be honest….

Kostov

I don't think he was that bad, that Gnonto kid has been causing problems across the league and it was his first start in a long time. Decent cross for the goal and some couple of good tackles, he will improve.

romufc

The overreactions in here are crazy. He's barely played for us since the first week of November. Totally lacking match sharpness and should never have started last night.

He's been really good this season for the most part.
Yep, we cannot give any player leeway. One bad performance after not playing, people go over the top.

This was also the reason he was written off for so many years. I remember Ole played him one game in the CL or Europa against Danjuma where he got cooked and didnt get another game under Ole.

It was the same thing, bringing a player from the cold and expect them to perform against players who are fit and sharp.

Dalot is clearly a player who needs a few games, it is the same as alot of the players.

Casemiro is the same, he looked poor at the start until he got games under his belt.

bosnian_red

I feel like strengthening our strongest eleven should take priority over the back ups to Casemiro and Eriksen. That’s usually how it works no? Sort your strongest team out first. That appears to be the way Ten Haag works anyway…We only had two centre forwards in the summer and about four centre backs but he still chose to sign a centre back above a cf because it was a bigger priority.

I don’t even know how to respond to the implication that Dalot is more important than DeGea to be honest….
Dalot has high potential and is young, and was excellent in the first half of the season. Panicking over his 1st game post injury after the world cup (where he was very good as well), would be just that, panicking. Wan Bissaka was very good in his absence as well. We can get a good level at right back from both starter and backup. It's a case of leave it, hope they keep on developing but if not, address it after we address other more pressing issues.

A backup to Casemiro is as vital as anything this summer, as we clearly see. McTominay isn't a DM, and we need a DM to occasionally replace Casemiro and eventually replace him a few years down the line (or just be a solid backup). Someone who understands how to play as DM. Don't underestimate the value of quality depth. On Eriksen... well he's 31 in a week, and is out for 3 months now. He was already significantly tiring, while also having his weaknesses in terms of struggling when pressed, not being dynamic on the ball, etc. It's a priority position without a doubt, though I agree we can make do with Eriksen and Fred for another season rotating at the #8 spot as long as we get a proper backup for Casemiro (like Lavia from Southampton for example). Striker the obvious priority so it depends on funds. And then we need to replace Maguire with a proper Varane cover.

Also, De Gea is not a good goalkeeper anymore. Literally every point of analytics shows this. It's been years since he was a good goalkeeper. A goalkeeper that can both play out from the back and be strong with crosses would be huge. Analytically, De Gea has been among the worst goalkeepers in the league this year. He makes regular mistakes, flapping at crosses, poor handling, poor at playing out from the back... it's just not pretty anymore with him.

1. Striker (starter)
  2. DM (cover/younger)
  3. GK (starter)
  4. CM (starter)
  5. RCB (Varane cover)
This is the top 5 by a distance in priorities for me. The top 3 are pretty urgent and we'll struggle if we don't do that. 4th and 5th are upgrading our situations to fit the manager more, be more title challenging caliber, but the current level isn't bad (more so top 4 level). After these 5 I'd agree right back would be looked at, but that's so far away. And besides, to target a position, you need a replacement lined up that would be of a better level. You aren't getting better than what we have for under 50m, and even then, it's always a risk as you often see with clubs flopping their fullback purchases.

criticalanalysis

What exactly is his injury? Couldn’t or wouldn’t move up the pitch with the ball. Shite long ball after shite long ball.
Very rusty. Needs games that we can't really afford for him to play into form.

AWB will/probably get the nod for Thursday.

BerryBerryShrew

What exactly is his injury? Couldn’t or wouldn’t move up the pitch with the ball. Shite long ball after shite long ball.
Is there a chance that this was tactical? EtH may have been terrified about leaving the right flank too exposed considering that Gnonto tore us apart just a few days ago.

acnumber9

Is there a chance that this was tactical? EtH may have been terrified about leaving the right flank too exposed considering that Gnonto tore us apart just a few days ago.
I suppose anything is possible. Though Wan Bissaka came on and moved up the pitch so I doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.