5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

kiristao

Useless defender; easily lost Almiron and at fault for the second goal as well.
He didn't lose Almiron. He just didn't care. He glances at him twice and it was obvious to everyone that the ball is going to go to Almiron, yet he doesn't put in the effort to block that angle or get close to Almiron to cut off the pass. I can forgive not being good enough. Cannot forgive absolutely lack of effort.

ti vu

https://dubz.co/c/be5551

Watch him.

What is his excuse for not running? There is 27 minutes gone. He can't be tired. He took two looks and saw Almiron running both times and still didn't make the effort. Why?
He has been playing non stop for us and Portugal since AWB injury.

The other angle made it bad, but in this angle it's very difficult for Dalot to cut the passing angle even if he had tried to print faster.

The two times Dalot checked Almiron and checked back to where the ball action was, Maguire was still in his correct defensive zone. Then Maguire football brain went down the drain. He panicked and backpedalled all the way, created a ridiculous 1 man offside line (even if the correct offside trap might not have helped this situation), and a channel that allowed Livarmento to make a clean through ball. By this time, Livarmento cut inside and passed, Dalit already lost track of Almiron, and already lost the footrace. He should have tried to run faster, but normally, Maguire defensive zone would be secured and potentially dissuade Livarmento from picking this passing option: through ball for Alminron to enter out box and shoot which he did. It would be likely a ball outwide, which allowed us to reorganize the defensive line if Maguire stayed well in his zone.

Dalot had his share of blame for this goal, and his performance in the first before getting subbed off. But he's not solely at fault for this goal. There is a lot of thing went wrong with this goal like how Casemiro was allowed,to bomb forward, where Mount was then tasked with the counter attack stopping duty (!!!), to Maguire infamous running back instinct regardless tactic.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I still don't get why people think he's an attacking full back. He's rubbish at everything. AWB gets stick because he looks clumsy on the ball, but he's actually pretty competent with it. So much better than Dalot despite being labelled as the defensive one of the two.
Dalot is (when playing well) more of a possession fullback. His strengths are more in the build-up rather than outright attacking or defending. Quite a good medium and long passer (which you would think would translate into being a good crosser but unfortunately he's terrible at that) and at passing through the lines. It's not like h's not particularly great at it or anything, but those are his strengths.

Similar to Shaw in that sense actually, just obviously nowhere near as good.

Lord Zlatan

He didn't lose Almiron. He just didn't care. He glances at him twice and it was obvious to everyone that the ball is going to go to Almiron, yet he doesn't put in the effort to block that angle or get close to Almiron to cut off the pass. I can forgive not being good enough. Cannot forgive absolutely lack of effort.
This. Heart and desire can compensate somewhat for lack of ability.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I never thought I'd be so happy to see AWB fit again.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017

The other angle made it bad, but in this angle it's very difficult for Dalot to cut the passing angle even if he had tried to print faster.

The two times Dalot checked Almiron and checked back to where the ball action was, Maguire was still in his correct defensive zone. Then Maguire football brain went down the drain. He panicked and backpedalled all the way, created a ridiculous 1 man offside line (even if the correct offside trap might not have helped this situation), and a channel that allowed Livarmento to make a clean through ball. By this time, Livarmento cut inside and passed, Dalit already lost track of Almiron, and already lost the footrace. He should have tried to run faster, but normally, Maguire defensive zone would be secured and potentially dissuade Livarmento from picking this passing option: through ball for Alminron to enter out box and shoot which he did. It would be likely a ball outwide, which allowed us to reorganize the defensive line if Maguire stayed well in his zone.

Dalot had his share of blame for this goal, and his performance in the first before getting subbed off. But he's not solely at fault for this goal. There is a lot of thing went wrong with this goal like how Casemiro was allowed,to bomb forward, where Mount was then tasked with the counter attack stopping duty (!!!), to Maguire infamous running back instinct regardless tactic.
Pause the video at 14 seconds, he looks at Almiron (who he must know has pace) and jogs back, next time he looks it's too late. Dalot has 90% of the blame for this goal with Mount/Garnacho sharing the other 10%. I'm not sure if Dalot looking and clearly looking and knowing Almiron is there makes his mistake better or worse. Maguire has to follow the run of Gordon in that situation and knows Gordon is quick so dropped deep - if Dalot does the same then the goal is likely avoided.

I think Dalot means well, but there's a large gap between the player he is and the player he thinks he is - he's just painfully average-to-poor at pretty much every aspect of being a fullback - should be backup at best.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
His ‘defending’ for the first goal is criminal. How the feck do you not notice Almiron running beside you?!
He does notice. He has a look over his shoulder and somehow still manages to no bother to do any defender.

A pathetic piece of defending from a player who should have been binned a long time ago. We talk about tactics, system etc and then you have players clowning about this like for no apparent justification.

ti vu

Pause the video at 14 seconds, he looks at Almiron (who he must know has pace) and jogs back, next time he looks it's too late. Dalot has 90% of the blame for this goal with Mount/Garnacho sharing the other 10%. I'm not sure if Dalot looking and clearly looking and knowing Almiron is there makes his mistake better or worse. Maguire has to follow the run of Gordon in that situation and knows Gordon is quick so dropped deep - if Dalot does the same then the goal is likely avoided.

I think Dalot means well, but there's a large gap between the player he is and the player he thinks he is - he's just painfully average-to-poor at pretty much every aspect of being a fullback - should be backup at best.
You made no sense. In no situation a defender in Maguire position would abandon his zone and drop that deep behind everyone else. Gordon would be offside, if Maguire just held the line with Lindelof and Livarmento would have to pass through Maguire to play same pass to Almiron.

Dalot checked Almiron both time, and checked Maguire Lindelof defense line. Yes before the second look at Alminron, Maguire was still in proper position, then he just picnicked and ran back across to left side like a headless chicken, and created that gap and awkward situation. Livamento got three options, pass to Gordon, to Alminron or continue to his run and beat Lindelof. All 3 are possibly (he picked the best option) prevented if Maguire held his line.

Edit:

This is the moment Dalot had his second look over his shoulder to check Almiron. Maguire was still in pretty decent position.

Immediately after, Maguire made that run, and opened the space and option for Livarmento.

Look how ridiculous Maguire position horizontally here from this angle. Left footer can attempt a pop at our goal to the far corner even.

Last edited:

TrueRed79

You cannot polish a turd. Problem last night he had three other turds along side him as well.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
You made no sense. In no situation a defender in Maguire position would abandon his zone and drop that deep behind everyone else. Gordon would be offside, if Maguire just held the line with Lindelof and Livarmento would have to pass through Maguire to play same pass to Almiron.

Dalot checked Almiron both time, and checked Maguire Lindelof defense line. Yes before the second look at Alminron, Maguire was still in proper position, then he just picnicked and ran back across to left side like a headless chicken, and created that gap and awkward situation. Livamento got three options, pass to Gordon, to Alminron or continue to his run and beat Lindelof. All 3 are possibly (he picked the best option) prevented if Maguire held his line.
Okay, pause at 15/16 seconds on that video. If Maguire tries to play offside then Gordon runs on the blind side of Lindelof and could easily get put through on goal - you would then likely blame Maguire for trying to play offside against a pacy forward.

Thanks for pointing out I'm not making sense but let me try and make it a bit simpler: IMO, the safest thing to do when playing against a quick forward is to give yourself a few yards and follow your runner - Maguire did that, Dalot didn't (even though he knew he was there!!) and we got punished.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Really dont rate him. But I like him as a squad player for his heart and attitude and determination. Sadly he's technically and positionally too poor to be a dependable right back.

ti vu

Okay, pause at 15/16 seconds on that video. If Maguire tries to play offside then Gordon runs on the blind side of Lindelof and could easily get put through on goal - you would then likely blame Maguire for trying to play offside against a pacy forward.

Thanks for pointing out I'm not making sense but let me try and make it a bit simpler: IMO, the safest thing to do when playing against a quick forward is to give yourself a few yards and follow your runner - Maguire did that, Dalot didn't (even though he knew he was there!!) and we got punished.
The excuse for not playing the offside is silly. Teams play with high defensive line usually use offside trap against quick player with tendency to run in behind to their advantage.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/utwuaE9LIwE
Even in this Garnacho's debatable disallowed goal, see Arsenal player attempt to play the offside trap.

Even when you think backing off is the best option, who leave the central area in front of our goal horizontally open like this?

Only in our Frankenstein team that we see defenders headless chicken like keep backing off disregarding of defensive line. The same happened with the third goal in this game. This time both CBs dropped, and Willock just breezed past the previous area Maguire stationed. Gordon came to screen Maguire from interfering when Willock crossed over the Lindelof side.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Just watch the replay, Dalot is really crap player. The goal can be 100% prevented, never seen someone jogging back in position. It is so easy to play against United with such low quality player.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Can't get over this from Dalot.
Looks at him twice. There's literally 1 run and pass on and he never works it out. Let's not talk about Lindelof

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner

Lindelof holds big blame too. As always backs off doesn't close down Livaramento, leaving the chance to play the pass under no pressure. Classic Lindelof, then jogs back with his arms flopping around like the fanny he is.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Still doesnt do it justice - he was flat footed and jogging back whilst Almiron was busting a gut to get ahead of him before this grab was taken. Essentially he was more flat footed and not on his toes for the pending danger on the turnover.

sugar_kane

I honestly can't fathom what happened last night, he is prone to a brain fart but effort and dedication have never been his problem. This goal came across flat out as him not giving a shit, as there's nothing happening elsewhere in our half that suggests he needs to hold his position and not focus purely on Almiron.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Dalot 100% at fault for the goal hence the reason he was taken off.

No desire to defend at all, the defending itself wasn't too bad up to that point, Maguire covered the run behind, Lindlegod had a good position, only one pass on, Dalot didn't get back soon enough and was caught out,
Had Dalot put some intensity into his run back he would have been in a great position to show Almiron out wide and away from danger.

Awful awful defending from Dalot.

DanClancy

That first goal summed us up perfectly last night, thats a player not giving us all for his manager,.

He should be fined for it

Woodzy

Most top teams usually replace their weakest links as a priority. We obviously needed strength elsewhere in the summer but there's absolutely no way Dalot should still be starting games for us when it was evident he wasn't good enough 3 years ago.

Gary Neville hit the nail on the head on Sunday when he brought up the fact we are still starting with a defence that consists of Dalot, Lindelof and Maguire and it just shows how little progress we are making. I know we have injuries, but you have to get rid of the players that aren't good enough it's as simple as that.

Oscar Bonavena

It doesn't matter if Maguire dropped too deep when he should have held his line, or if this defender should have done that or that defender should have done this.

Bottom line is Dalot should have been f**king sprinting back as soon as he saw Almiron was on his bike.

Absolutely unfathomable that a PL full back either isn't aware of the danger in that situation, or is too lazy or unfit to react.

ZupZup

Dalot is simply not good enough and never has been. He was overrated for a little while purely on the basis it was fashionable to slate Wan-Bissaka and he was our only alternative.

I said at the time that Wan-Bissaka was a better full back than him and got pelters for it. The fact that we handed him a 5 year contract is a damning indictment of how this football club is run. Dead wood.

FriedClams

The GOAT of congratulating fellow defenders for doing defensive actions he himself is incapable of. Dalot is an absolutely appalling footballer.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Most top teams usually replace their weakest links as a priority. We obviously needed strength elsewhere in the summer but there's absolutely no way Dalot should still be starting games for us when it was evident he wasn't good enough 3 years ago.

Gary Neville hit the nail on the head on Sunday when he brought up the fact we are still starting with a defence that consists of Dalot, Lindelof and Maguire and it just shows how little progress we are making. I know we have injuries, but you have to get rid of the players that aren't good enough it's as simple as that.
Relax, he's only got 4 1/2 years left on his new contract. It's the United way.

GazTheLegend

Dalot is simply not good enough and never has been. He was overrated for a little while purely on the basis it was fashionable to slate Wan-Bissaka and he was our only alternative.

I said at the time that Wan-Bissaka was a better full back than him and got pelters for it. The fact that we handed him a 5 year contract is a damning indictment of how this football club is run. Dead wood.
Exactly right. Rewarding a bang average performer with a 5 year deal is extremely on the nose for Man Utd at this point.

I'll say it here now: Brandon Williams is a far, far better player than Diogo Dalot. And that our manager couldn't see as much is pretty grim as far as our side is concerned.

Oranges038

I still don't get why people think he's an attacking full back. He's rubbish at everything. AWB gets stick because he looks clumsy on the ball, but he's actually pretty competent with it. So much better than Dalot despite being labelled as the defensive one of the two.
Ah neither of them is good enough, we've seen enough now to know that. Same as McT and Fred, Maguire and Lindelof etc. There's a big enough sample size there for us to make that judgement.

It shouldn't be one or the other at this stage. It should be neither and someone else be brought in.

tomaldinho1

I think my problem is you see him when he decides to really sprint and it's simply too late. I'd have more sympathy if he'd just been outpaced but he's fast enough to have stopped the goal, watch the replay when he realises Almiron is past him and he puts his head down and makes up some ground.

ti vu

Still doesnt do it justice - he was flat footed and jogging back whilst Almiron was busting a gut to get ahead of him before this grab was taken. Essentially he was more flat footed and not on his toes for the pending danger on the turnover.
The turn over happened way in Newcastle half, and it took awhile for Livarmento to carry the ball all by himself over to the half way line.

Usually last line defenders in teams comfortable with defending a high line, use the halfway line offside trap especially they have number advantage around the ball carrier. Maguire already withdrew past half way line soon after Livarmento won the ball from Garnacho, before Hannibal closed him down and before Livarmento went past Mount. Maguire always had form about ignoring and get some yard ahead of his marker as if he's defending a low block.

Against West Ham in FA Cup past season, for Antonio 1vs 1 chance. Maguire was already in our half after the turnover before the ball dropped to Behrama.

Conceded goal in pre season against the Melbourne club.

Also, Almiron is a deceptive quick player. He has been seen giving other pacy players a tough time in a foot race. He packs some pace, where as in comparison Dalot is not slow but his pace is very average. Almiron ran toward our goal from an angle, not straight line like Dalot. Almiron lost some pace when he took the touch on ball, but he had always gaining and exceeding Dalot speed even when Dalot went all out you can see that in the view I took screenshot of the run.

Almiron looks fast in previous encounter against our faster players.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/rGFNukKPOko
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/918ZUPuqowM

It's not to say Dalot is blameless and shouldn't have put more effort. Dalot had a shite game and took a beating and it's not news. The issue here is people usually focus more in duel part of sequence than analyzing the whole sequence to understand what goes wrong from the tactic POV. Putting more effort alone wouldn't solve a lot of issue we have right now. For the conceded goal against Melbourne club, I remembered there was people blaming Lindelof for not tracking the runner near him by the byline (the assisted of the goal), too. In this very game or against Man City, our defense line has been a mess. Third goal again is another case of running back toward goal, ceding space in front of defensive line. Didn't give midfield a chance to recover conceded space to opposition attacker.

Hypothetically even if Dalot had covered Almiron run better, there is no explanation for this kind of positioning for last line defender. Basically created 3 vs 3 situation with the ball carrier has plenty of space to attack right in front of goal against another slow defender.. Livarmento could have continue to run, and had a high chance to beat Lindelof and had a pop at our goal.

Last edited:

BelfastRed2021

His ‘defending’ for the first goal is criminal. How the feck do you not notice Almiron running beside you?!
He did notice he lookes twice and then makes no effort to do anything he wanted the CB's to deal with it and when they didnt the then tries to catch up with almiron worst lazy defending i ever seen he is a turd of a player and should be sold never gonna happen now due to another 5 year contract

Last edited:

Marwood

Defenders make mistakes. It happens.

But you rarely see a defender knowingly do the wrong thing. Knowingly choose to not defend. Inexplicable from him.

Guv77

I was half expecting him to high five Onana when that goal went it!
Average.

jem

I've generally been a fan of Dalot but that defending was inexcusable, and sadly he seems to have those braindead moments in him.

AlexMG

Players who are not happy should be sold, Dalot is one of them.
and when we compare him to the players of our competitors, his performs quite poorly.

Fulham 0:1 Man Utd

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The guy is a bit brainless (on the pitch), isn't he? Shooting from that position, instead of running the clock down.

mavradal

The guy is a bit brainless (on the pitch), isn't he? Shooting from that position, instead of running the clock down.
Nitpicking much? Game was clearly seconds away from being over.