Diogo Dalot | Done Deal | Speaks better English than Valencia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Yep and nobody owns up to it
I’m happy with either as long as they’re worth it. And you can’t deny it is a thin line - we need a player that’s young enough to grow into the team and be an asset for years, but experienced enough to offer something right away.

As we’re seeing with Sanchez, he’s needing time to settle in - and with being 30 next we can’t afford to allow him years to do so. With Dalot, he will have plenty of time to develop at United but he might not bring enough in the first 2 years.

Perfect example being Pogba - he was meant to be a quick improvement but he’s needing to get into his stride a bit here. He’s only 24, so when he does he’ll still be young and it’ll be a worthwhile wait.

Still need to find that player that will bring us up a level, though. Hopefully Sanchez will be next year.

AgentP

I never have an issue with signing young players, specially if they're promising (duh) but I cannot shake the feeling this means in some way, Mourinho has been satisfied with Valencia's season and is ready to keep him as his starting RB for next season. In order to make big changes, we need to start phasing some serious players (serious as in who play a lot despite their 'past-it' state)
Maybe the direct replacements for Valencia are not that much better than him. Players like Cancelo, Sidibe, etc might only be marginal improvements and would not have been worth it for how much they were going to cost. Dalot is apparently highly rated with a much higher ceiling. So I think it's a smart move to get him early and give him time to adapt. Who knows, he might start getting regular starts by the start of next year.

Shark

@NotShark
I'm all for signing young players but feel we require two more experienced and established full backs. This understudy for Valencia idea is all well and good, but the guy is only 19. Valencia is 32 and isn't going to be playing much longer at the highest level at all.

Last edited:

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I see so many people saying it will be good for him as an understudy to Valencia. I am still trying to figure out what is there to study from Valencia?
Positional sense, handling the pressure of playing for a big club, how to look after yourself, mental toughness...you talk like Valencia's just some nobody who'll be easily replaced. He's held down a position for the world's biggest club, under some of the best mangers in the modern era for almost a decade and deserves better than frivolous, witless put-downs.

GBBQ

I'm all for signing young players but feel we require two more experienced and established full backs. This understudy for Valencia idea is all well and good, but the guy is only 19. Valencia is 32 and isn't going to be playing much longer at the highest level at all.
I am wondering if Bale becoming available has changed our transfer plans slightly. We were linked with Vrsaljko and Sibide recently who are more experienced but would go for higher fees and higher wages. Similarly Fred instead of SMS. A compromise to go for 3rd or 4th choices in a couple of areas will free up some wage and transfer budget to make the Bale move work.

Cliche Guevara

Valencia is a brilliant right-back. He just can’t cross for shit. It’s that simple.

If we bring in a proper right-winger then Valencia will be more than good enough next season. If not, then Dalot will need to be fast-tracked with Valencia maybe only playing the harder games if need be.

IRELANDUNITED

What's your point?
My point is how can we be sure he's good enough to solve our problems at right back. I'm not saying he wont be great, God knows I hope he's outstanding, but how can our scouts tell he's exactly what we need after him making so few senior appearances

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Valencia is a brilliant right-back. He just can’t cross for shit. It’s that simple.

If we bring in a proper right-winger then Valencia will be more than good enough next season. If not, then Dalot will need to be fast-tracked with Valencia maybe only playing the harder games if need be.
It's still important to have a RB who can cross, if your RW is marked/blocked out of the game by the opposition then its helpful to have a back-up on the pitch who help out.

GM K

That is what worries me. Ivanovic became a parody and a liability towards the end.

If that is the plan then Dalot must be a special kinda talent because it would still be too early IMHO for him to be ready to pick up the mantle.

Why you gotta go with the worst possible example in Darmian ? Anyway, my issue isn't with signing a promising youngster, it's keeping the underperforming older ones. There comes a time when we need to cut our loses and Valencia has been at the club for way too long as a starter.
For all his bad reputation in handling young players, Jose does pick brilliantly when he wants to play or buy a very young player. They are usually special. I remember people saying the young Varane would never get playing time with Pepe around at Real Madrid. They were wrong and here we are with Varane today. You can also pick out Ballotelli, Mikel, Morata, Nacho, Zouma, etc. He doesn't pick them much but when he does, he tends to actually play them more regularly than expected. I am betting Jose will give this kid good game time and that will be down to his faith in the kid's ability and his wanting to prove to people that he does give kids chances.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
My point is how can we be sure he's good enough to solve our problems at right back. I'm not saying he wont be great, God knows I hope he's outstanding, but how can our scouts tell he's exactly what we need after him making so few senior appearances
I don't know. If only Porto had some other teams, like an U18 or reserve team or something.

Silas

What's he brilliant at? Great stamina levels and usually reliable when defending 1v1s, but I wouldn't say he's brilliant at any particular facet of play.

ti vu

I think Woodward misunderstood when he asked Mourinho "who do you want? Bale, Alderweireld, Sandro, Fred?" and he replied "sign da lot"

I'm a theif....
He would be sold before even kicking a football here, when Ed asks Mourinho who would we let go. "Sell da lot" Mourinho would say

Kammy26

when Liverpool or city sign young promising talent there planning for the future and pep/Klopp are God’s.

When we do it, it’s all fecking doom and gloom.

I would much rather sign a young, hungry potential talent then a fecking mercenary.

Plus even if the club wanted to sign a world class ready made right back there is no one available.

GM K

'Brilliant right back' '........'who can't cross for shit'

That's an oxymoron in today's football.

CG1010

You can't tell for sure but the scout's job is to take a calculated risk. As someone pointed above, Ronaldo had played only a few first team games with Sporting and yet Fergie signed him to replace Beckham! Don't know much about Dalot but sometimes the quality of the player shines through.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea

You can't be called a brilliant fullback if you're shite 99% of the time going foward.

NinjaFletch

I absolutely couldn't agree more with this post. The idea that we can sign a lb, cb, 19 year old rb, cm, and winger and suddenly challenge for the title isn't the reality. We have a lot of young players that need patience to grow, it's not the end of the world if we don't challenge next season since we're so far off the mark, with players that are still establishing themselves.
We'll get there, but probably not this upcoming season.
I don't think it necessarily follows we can't sign experienced players and challenge. We just have to be clear with what we want and what our expectations are. If the expectations are that we challenge next season then we need to sign players that will help us do that.

If the expectations are a longer rebuilding job and a patiently assembled squad, all the while whilst watching our rivals compete, then we need to sign players that will help to that end.

What I take issue with is posters advocating for immediate success, getting pissy with the club not achieving that success immediately, and then declaring themselves happy with signings (and a transfer policy) that demands patience and time.

Obviously the best approach is a mix of the two camps, and I desperately hope that's what we're doing here in reality, I just have issues with the illogicy of the forum deriding Valencia week in week out for not being good enough and identifying it as a key area we need to improve in one breath and then similar posters defending a policy (which at this stage they have thankfully invented) which would see the area not improved immediately.

Then surely your ire should be directed at Mourinho? I said it yesterday but it's Mourinho who chooses to play Valencia every week. It's Mourinho who made him captain. And it's Mourinho who seemingly intends to go into the new season with Valencia being supported by a 19 year old.

Basically, Mourinho thinks Valencia is good enough to be playing for a team challenging for honours. And in his defence (a rarity for me), I think most managers would agree with him.
Maybe, but I'm willing to give the club the benefit of the doubt until it is proven that we are not looking to actively strengthen that position for next season. At the minute my understanding is, and maybe I'm wrong, that we are – in which case I can support signing a young player in addition.

waza7111

Valencia is a good defender but he can't attack or cross. This signing makes sense if we intend to sign a top class RW like Bale also. It would allow Valencia to conserve his energy and focus on defending. Ideally we'd have a good attacking RB and RW on the same wing. That's what City have and why they're so dangerous.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
Text Speak
As much as we all like the take a dump on Valencia, he's a very good RB. He's always somehow present to receive the ball out wide when we're attacking and he's always there back defending when we are outnumbered. That is the most underrated quality in football. You only realize how good he is when you get someone like Darmian playing there.
Ppl want new toys, after underwhelming season for sure. Valencia and Young are not the reason we played shit football especially Valencia who played on a right flank alone and probably made about 1 mistake the whole season which led to goal and was great in possession. You cant simply take on players from a RB with no cover. The position of a RB wont be fixed by a new RB but by a new RW which would give options to our RB.

I am not against signing Dalot but people who expect we are going to get better on that side will be gutted after the first first few weeks of optimism. Dalot will be lucky to share games 50/50 with LAV but surely if he`s good enough he will get his chance and can impress. He reminds me a bit of Ivanovic, from the little Ive seen. Certainly tall for a fullback, decent strength, good in the tackle, not necesarilly fast but not slow over long distance, , not a bad dribbler, decent touch, solid allround RB with some good space for improvement, cant say for the mentality or cross delivery but if hes on his own against players like Valencia had his RW roamed somewhere to the middle, he will certainly struggle to create something on his own, good that he can play on both sides though.

Lets`s see if we sign him first though

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
I don't want to raise your expectations too much but I believe he will take the rb spot within the first couple months. In terms of football ability he will be your best full back since Irwin and I can compare him to Evra in terms of composure and reading of the game.

Of course it all means nothing if he doesn't settle in but from what I've seen he's a cold fecker on and off the pitch and never shown signs of nervousness.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I don't want to raise your expectations too much but I believe he will take the rb spot within the first couple months. In terms of football ability he will be your best full back since Irwin and I can compare him to Evra in terms of composure and reading of the game.

Of course it all means nothing if he doesn't settle in but from what I've seen he's a cold fecker on and off the pitch and never shown signs of nervousness.
That is great to read. People just need to be patient with him imo.

We went many times with finished products these last few years and in many cases, it brought us sod all. So, I don't see any problems with bringing such a talent even if it takes a little bit of time.

Hoof the ball

In my very humble opinion, I believe that the movements and runs of any particular full-back are majority-wise the domain of the coaching staff and the individual assuming only the responsibility to carry out those instructions. For eg.

A full-back can provide attacking support in two ways :-

1. The winger remains wide and pulls the full-back wide with him; in that circumstance the full-back overlaps on the inside of the defender. This is quite common with City where Sane hugs the touchline and even someone like Delph, not a natural full-back, overlaps inside the full back to pull it back across goal.

2. The winger drops inside, pulling the full-back more central; in that circumstance the full-back overlaps on the outside of the defender, usually delivering a cross uncontested.

Both of the above are a direct result of attacking coaching and very specific tactical instructions. If the above doesn't happen, it's usually because of instructions for it not to happen for whatever reason it may be. No matter who we purchase, the main issue is tactical instruction. Even an ordinary individual can carry out the above instructions. It does not require world class talent to do so. Purchasing a better full-back won't automatically make this happen.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
For all his bad reputation in handling young players, Jose does pick brilliantly when he wants to play or buy a very young player. They are usually special. I remember people saying the young Varane would never get playing time with Pepe around at Real Madrid. They were wrong and here we are with Varane today. You can also pick out Ballotelli, Mikel, Morata, Nacho, Zouma, etc. He doesn't pick them much but when he does, he tends to actually play them more regularly than expected. I am betting Jose will give this kid good game time and that will be down to his faith in the kid's ability and his wanting to prove to people that he does give kids chances.
Hopefully you are right

Inter Yer Nan

when Liverpool or city sign young promising talent there planning for the future and pep/Klopp are God’s.

When we do it, it’s all fecking doom and gloom.

I would much rather sign a young, hungry potential talent then a fecking mercenary.

Plus even if the club wanted to sign a world class ready made right back there is no one available.
Yeah, I remember more than a few last summer hailing Liverpool's signing of Solanke.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don't think it necessarily follows we can't sign experienced players and challenge. We just have to be clear with what we want and what our expectations are. If the expectations are that we challenge next season then we need to sign players that will help us do that.

If the expectations are a longer rebuilding job and a patiently assembled squad, all the while whilst watching our rivals compete, then we need to sign players that will help to that end.

What I take issue with is posters advocating for immediate success, getting pissy with the club not achieving that success immediately, and then declaring themselves happy with signings (and a transfer policy) that demands patience and time.

Obviously the best approach is a mix of the two camps, and I desperately hope that's what we're doing here in reality, I just have issues with the illogicy of the forum deriding Valencia week in week out for not being good enough and identifying it as a key area we need to improve in one breath and then similar posters defending a policy (which at this stage they have thankfully invented) which would see the area not improved immediately.

Maybe, but I'm willing to give the club the benefit of the doubt until it is proven that we are not looking to actively strengthen that position for next season. At the minute my understanding is, and maybe I'm wrong, that we are – in which case I can support signing a young player in addition.
And blaming young players for developing at a normal pace because this poor kid will be judged as if he was a prime Dani Alves.

Sterling Archer

I wholeheartedly put my faith in what you've said because I love brocolli. I love the way it tastes, the way the little ends feel against my fingers and the way it looks when you stare at it for too long.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I wholeheartedly put my faith in what you've said because I love brocolli. I love the way it tastes, the way the little ends feel against my fingers and the way it looks when you stare at it for too long.
@broccoli blink twice, if you are scared.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre

Good to hear, some outlets say he got problems with some of the decision making but I guess it's a typical thing for any younger players.

3KDré

Sounds like Martial at right back.

Jev

Unlike most on here I'm quite content with Valencia for now so this sounds like a great solution. Nice to see we're still looking to the future with our signings.

Status
Not open for further replies.