Do we want Neymar to go to PSG?

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
He really isn't. Also they will be severely weakened as there isn't a player available as good as Neymar. On the plus side they can improve the rest of their squad with that money, but Messi can't go on forever. They need someone to fill in for Messi eventually and Neymar was looking that player.
I just don't rate him that highly mate, i have him down as a £30 million player in real transfer terms of £75 million in todays crappy market. no more no less. I think he is a good player, but good that's it.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Don't give a shit because Liverpool with or without Coutinho are miles away from a title challenge.

In Europe, in the grand scheme of things it's good for us as it weakens a direct rival, even we're far from being a credible challenger.
If they're miles away, God knows what we are.

pghcc

PSG would be a 'local' thorn in the side of Barca/Real's ambitions of dominance in the same manner that Chelsea and City are to ours.
It's a good thing.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I would say yes because feck Barca and losing Neymar would mean they're weaker as a team. However, they're much stronger with 200+mil - isn't that like a third of their net worth? Football is much weaker with this 200 mil transfer too. Taking that into consideration, please don't let this Neymar transfer happen. For 80mil? Still ridiculous but not disastrous

iamherenow

I like the way talent is spreading around,will make the Cl a spectacle,tired of the whole BBC/MSN hype...would be interesting to see how barca cope,Madrid will probably get mbappe to show they are a force to reckon with also.That should free up bale though he is reluctant to move which is understandable..

iamherenow

I hate barca,so I like the fact their youngest star is being taken away to play his prime years elsewhere..

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
If Neymar does move to PSG, wouldn't Hazard be a better fit, and a safer bet for Barca, as compared to Coutinho? Sure Coutinho can be more dazzling on his day but Hazard is bound to give you relatively more consistency and have a better overall output.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
there are other players e.g bale once Madrid get their new toy,dybala,dembele...we will surely end up with one of those..
Please stop with this Bale bullchit. It's not going to happen and even if it did, it would be a poor buy depending on the price.

Robertd0803

Barcelona lose a star man, and all of a sudden need some sort of replacement. They may look at one of our rivals players. Coutinho has been heavily linked as such a replacement.
Sure, why not. It's a bit exciting to see an "unsellable" player being stolen from Barca, the world's 3rd best player even.
It'll set off some other moves such as Coutinho, weakening Liverpool. :D
Also Pogba won't have to be the most expensive player anymore. Good stuff.
Agree with all of the above. If Neymars not joining us then Im glad he is joining PSG on the grounds he isn't joining Man City. If Barca buy Coutinho to replace him then it weakens Liverpool of probably their best player and he wont be easy to replace for them. Pogba wont have the most expensive player tag hanging over his head.

But.....the worry is that if PSG buy an unbuyable player it means that it can be done which is both a good and a bad thing. Hopefully every other club will realize that this is a one off transfer and not to be saying if Neymar is worth €220 million that means Adam Lalanna is worth €95 million or Jesus Navas is worth €65 million. The market is already insane (Perisic for €50 million being a great example) without prices being increased artificially any more.

Also Barcelona can go stuff themselves.

Manny

Grammar Police
Not really true is it? The utter domination of Spanish sides in the CL coincides with them having only to play 4 tough games in La Liga every year.
The utter domination of Spanish sides coincided with them amassing 'world's best for their position' talent in their league and then confining it to two sides. They are still able to provide competition to one another. One great team pushing the other great team. And when you have that much quality in a team it helps lift the lesser players in the entire squad or at least hide their flaws.

Different story in the PL where there are at least four teams that compete for any talent that comes to the league. That means teams are lucky to have two or three truly world class players and are reliant on the experience of facing world class players in the absence of a great team.

I think Atletico Madrid have benefited from this in La Liga. They might fall short in the league but the preparation, experience and confidence of facing the worlds best players throughout the season helps them go far in the CL.

izec

Yes and no.

Yes, the bitch and his dad would finally shut up for a while.

No if they go for some of our targets with the money e.g. Griezmann

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I do like the fact the La Liga big two can't always have it their way.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Agree with all of the above. If Neymars not joining us then Im glad he is joining PSG on the grounds he isn't joining Man City. If Barca buy Coutinho to replace him then it weakens Liverpool of probably their best player and he wont be easy to replace for them. Pogba wont have the most expensive player tag hanging over his head.

But.....the worry is that if PSG buy an unbuyable player it means that it can be done which is both a good and a bad thing. Hopefully every other club will realize that this is a one off transfer and not to be saying if Neymar is worth €220 million that means Adam Lalanna is worth €95 million or Jesus Navas is worth €65 million. The market is already insane (Perisic for €50 million being a great example) without prices being increased artificially any more.

Also Barcelona can go stuff themselves.
Yep, that last bit is the real worry.
I've seen some people say it doesn't count as a normal transfer as it's a buy out clause, but in effect it's still a transfer and the highest one ever!

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yep, that last bit is the real worry.
I've seen some people say it doesn't count as a normal transfer as it's a buy out clause, but in effect it's still a transfer and the highest one ever!
The problem with that logic is that for example the fact that Thiago went for 24m doesn't mean that Verratti should go for the same price, when Ibrahimovic is free, Lukaku doesn't become free and you don't receive money when you purchase Sturridge. Prices aren't fixed by the highest fee, they are based on the amount of players available, their quality, their contracts, their marketability, both clubs wealth and the players substitutability. In the case of Neymar we have a little problem because his fee is solely fixed by his contract which makes any projection on other players pointless.

Also a very important point, most clubs can't hold players at any price because they barely make ends meet and at the end of the day that's a big part of transfer fees, the fees are climbing in concert with clubs revenues not with themselves.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The problem with that logic is that for example the fact that Thiago went for 24m doesn't mean that Verratti should go for the same price, when Ibrahimovic is free, Lukaku doesn't become free and you don't receive money when you purchase Sturridge. Prices aren't fixed by the highest fee, they are based on the amount of players available, their quality, their contracts, their marketability, both clubs wealth and the players substitutability. In the case of Neymar we have a little problem because his fee is solely fixed by his contract which makes any projection on other players pointless.

Agree on this part to some extent.But we've seen many times where a club have used the "if xxx is worth xxx, then we want yyy" type scenarios.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Agree on this part to some extent.But we've seen many times where a club have used the "if xxx is worth xxx, then we want yyy" type scenarios.
I'm sure you know that there is a big difference between what most clubs will accept and the nonsense they spout in the press, also the press makes up a lot of things, in particular narratives around prices. And don't get me wrong we have a problem with the price of average players but it has nothing to do with the moves of top players, but only with the moves of players like Carroll, Sissoko or Fellaini those are the market killers, mainly PL market killers.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
It will set a few precedents for sure; the main one for me being that the Barca-Real duopoly on top top talents is nomore.

As for the market, I don't think it will have that radical an effect. Already touted (and legitly so) as the heir to the Messi-Ronaldo throne, Neymar is also insanely marketable (Asia et al love a great Brazilian) with his best years still ahead of him. We are already en-route towards players considered to be in the top 2 or 3 in their position costing north of a 100 mill anyways.

Think it'll be great to see Barca show Liverpool what time it is with Coutinho. Not too clued up with their business thus far but with the VVD and Keita shizzle, it's not looking great is it :devil:

Jaybomb

If Griezmann joins Barca, he will be a confirmed snake. Which was my initial impression of him anyway.

El cangrejo

Supports
FC Luzern
This whole saga just shows how in denial so many people are about PSG's status as one of the major clubs in the world.

Is it just because this is a United forum and so many of United fans can't get over the fact that a "plastic club" is now out of their league?

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Rich owners of small clubs have ruined football. Who would have thought City would be braking the tranfer record of spending in one summer or that one of the top 3 players in the world would be joining PSG. Im kind of getting sick of it all.
How have they "ruined" football? Is it good for football if all the top players are concentrated in a few historically big clubs leaving other teams with no chance of winning the major trophies?

spiriticon

I'd rather Real Madrid had egg on their faces as I dislike them more, but if Barca go all out for Coutinho because of this then I'm all for it.

Von Mistelroum

Honestly, I don't want it. I feel that it reflects on us (and the PL) in a negative way. Can we really claim to be the biggest club when we simply cannot get the biggest players? Can our league ever be considered alongside La Liga when none of the super elites come here until they're entering their twilight years?

PSG will gain a much bigger profile as a result of this. They've already had Zlatan, Verrati, Di Maria etc and this will push that further. It's what we should be looking to do one day, or even now with the Dembele's or Mbappe's.

Moonred

These sort of posts :lol:

You rocked on into the thread, just to bless us with that.

And of course it makes a difference to us unless you have zero foresight whatsoever.

Barcelona lose a star man, and all of a sudden need some sort of replacement. They may look at one of our rivals players. Coutinho has been heavily linked as such a replacement. Liverpool lose him, or even better some sort of drama with Hazard, it destablises a rival, and gives us a bit of help.
What about the foresight that Barca lose a man, gets a lot of money and potentially buys a player that we might have gotten in the future? Eh?

spiriticon

Honestly, I don't want it. I feel that it reflects on us (and the PL) in a negative way. Can we really claim to be the biggest club when we simply cannot get the biggest players? Can our league ever be considered alongside La Liga when none of the super elites come here until they're entering their twilight years?

PSG will gain a much bigger profile as a result of this. They've already had Zlatan, Verrati, Di Maria etc and this will push that further. It's what we should be looking to do one day, or even now with the Dembele's or Mbappe's.
Eh? it's been like this since forever. Apart from Cristiano Ronaldo, none of the FIFA World Player of the Year Winners in the last 20 years have played in the Premier League.

The English league is not for everybody, especially the technical types like Neymar.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
What about the foresight that Barca lose a man, gets a lot of money and potentially buys a player that we might have gotten in the future? Eh?
I don't think we'd ever have bought Coutinho, Hazard or Ali, which are the three mentioned from strongly to loosely in order.

Moonred

I don't think we'd ever have bought Coutinho, Hazard or Ali, which are the three mentioned from strongly to loosely in order.
Yeah, but Griezmann? That seems to be a bit of a collateral due to this. The larger point being, regardless of whether you are for or against this transfer, you can make a case for it being for or against United if you try. When people say they don't care just take it as an opinion as it doesn't immediately and directly effect us rather than laughing at it.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Rather he came to the PL

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Griezmann hasn't the profile to suit the FC.Barcelona system IMO

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yeah, but Griezmann? That seems to be a bit of a collateral due to this. The larger point being, regardless of whether you are for or against this transfer, you can make a case for it being for or against United if you try. When people say they don't care just take it as an opinion as it doesn't immediately and directly effect us rather than laughing at it.
There's either some sort of deal arranged with him already or not. And if not, we must be super naïve the way the transfer fees have rocketed up, as well as presuming no one else might fancy him.
I dare say the Griezmann boat has sailed with his actions this summer.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
This whole saga just shows how in denial so many people are about PSG's status as one of the major clubs in the world.

Is it just because this is a United forum and so many of United fans can't get over the fact that a "plastic club" is now out of their league?
What a strange claim, and strange post. As long as PSG's owners are willing to bankroll them beyond previously imagined limits, they'll be a factor, and most people are aware of the fact. Conflating that with them being one of the "major clubs in the world" though :lol:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Griezmann hasn't the profile to suit the FC.Barcelona system IMO
He absolutely does. If you created a player in a lab to play forward for barcelona, you'd get Griezmann