Do we want Neymar to go to PSG?

Jaybomb

Whatever he'll be a snake for you then.
In my opinion he's no better than the likes of Ramos who've used our name to get a better contract.

I'll be proven wrong if he joins us next summer and I actually hope he does.

Von Mistelroum

Eh? it's been like this since forever. Apart from Cristiano Ronaldo, none of the FIFA World Player of the Year Winners in the last 20 years have played in the Premier League.

The English league is not for everybody, especially the technical types like Neymar.
Yeah, he'd never cut it here......anyway, obviously that's what I was saying. It's been like this forever, including Ronaldo actually, as he left after he hit that level. We need to change this if we ever want to be regarded as the best league.

RoyH1

As much as I dislike Barsa, their 'more than a club' sanctimonious shite and shoving us their political agenda in the face at every game, I'm afraid of the slippery slope if the sugardaddy clubs start being able to take away Ballon d' Or contenders from historical big clubs. I don't want PSG sniffing around Pogba a couple of seasons from now.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I do, just because it's something that will have happened. Other than that I really don't care.
Pretty much this.

I am perversely interested to see the transfer record not only beaten but approximately doubled, but other than that, I have little interest in Barca, PSG, La Liga or Ligue Un for it to really matter to me more than that.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Naive maybe but I can see this move maybe being a short term thing, PSG flex their muscles, Neymar gets a huge pay increase and plays in France for a couple of years and then moves back to a super club

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Naive maybe but I can see this move maybe being a short term thing, PSG flex their muscles, Neymar gets a huge pay increase and plays in France for a couple of years and then moves back to a super club
but what super club would pay?If they spend 220 they'll want a similar amount,or at least 140/150 in case that Neymar experience is a disaster,what I don't think.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
but what super club would pay?If they spend 220 they'll want a similar amount,or at least 140/150 in case that Neymar experience is a disaster,what I don't think.
Your lot would pay what it would take to bring him back to Spain, it would stick it to Barca as well

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Your lot would pay what it would take to bring him back to Spain, it would stick it to Barca as well
It would be like a mini Figo :drool: but Florentino is too old for those adventures.
Now he wants very young players

spiriticon

Yeah, he'd never cut it here......anyway, obviously that's what I was saying. It's been like this forever, including Ronaldo actually, as he left after he hit that level. We need to change this if we ever want to be regarded as the best league.
Its not a matter of whether they'd cut it. They would, obviously. Its a matter of whether they WANT to come or not. They just rather not get their ankles hacked on a weekly basis. Also Paris, Madrid, Barcelona, Munich, Milan vs Manchester... bit of a hard sell for us.

I don't agree with the need for change. I think the English league is the most popular worldwide because of its hellish pace and physicality. If we change that, we change the identity which makes us appreciated.

Last edited:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Do you work for the English Football Association?

Are you serious to be concerned about the attractiveness of the English League?

BULB

It's marginal if Barca would be a worse side with Neymar out and Coutinho or Greizmann in.

Greiz would almost certainly have a clause in his contract, saying the buy out can't be met first year given he just signed a new deal.

It would definitely be good to weaken Liverpool, but they will also get 100m for Coutinho.

If Neymar's family is getting 60m agent fees from the transfer then it's a no brainer for him to move.

Eire Red United

This whole saga just shows how in denial so many people are about PSG's status as one of the major clubs in the world.

Is it just because this is a United forum and so many of United fans can't get over the fact that a "plastic club" is now out of their league?
I can't take them seriously after the way they bent over for Barca last year in the second leg.

El cangrejo

Supports
FC Luzern
What a strange claim, and strange post. As long as PSG's owners are willing to bankroll them beyond previously imagined limits, they'll be a factor, and most people are aware of the fact. Conflating that with them being one of the "major clubs in the world" though :lol:
Right now they're one of the most likely teams to win the Champions League and easily one of the most attractive destinations for footballers. For me that makes them one of the biggest clubs in the world at the moment.

History isn't everything.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
How have they "ruined" football? Is it good for football if all the top players are concentrated in a few historically big clubs leaving other teams with no chance of winning the major trophies?
Yep. For me all the top players should be concetrated in the few gistorically big clubs that have managed to stay big unlike for example Ajax. Smaller teams would also win trophies, see Porto.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Yep. For me all the top players should be concetrated in the few gistorically big clubs that have managed to stay big unlike for example Ajax. Smaller teams would also win trophies, see Porto.
Why?

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Translation

Yep. For me all the top trophies should be concetrated in the few gistorically big clubs that have managed to stay big unlike for example Ajax. Smaller teams would also win trophies, see Porto*.

* Porto is a gistorically big club in Portugal

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Not really tbh. Barca these days, apart from their front 3, are fairly average all over. Obviously their front 3 is ridiculous, but it'd weaken them quite a lot. Don't even care too much about that, but it more feels a waste of a world class player if Neymar goes there. He's one of the top 5 players in the world and he'll be wasting his time in the french league instead of being in one of the top 3 strongest leagues in the world. He'll have a max 10 meaningful games a season, basically the champions league knockout stages and a couple of big league games maybe, but other then that, he'll never have to push himself and probably won't kick on as a player. Just feels like a waste.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Because under no normal circumstances (good scouting good youth or new talented manager like mourinho) would City for example ever be where they are today. Or PSG. Its just annoys me a lot.
Life is made of BOTH "normal" circumstances and "abnormal" ones.

Revan

Assumptionman
I think that I would like this to happen for two reasons:

1) Barca and Spanish FA to collectively lose their shit.
2) Spread of talent between more clubs. I am tired of Barca and Real being this good.

MullerUtd

No offence but this sounds like a very elitist comment and that's one of the reasons why we are so hated worldwide.

WhoDaGOAT

Neymar joining PSG will lead to a few years of domination by Real Madrid. At least domestically.

Also, I think PSG will win The Champions League within 2 years of him joining.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Purely from an entertainment point of view and the novelty factor, I'd like to see it. The Spanish top teams dominating is just boring. Another sugardaddy club becoming part of the furniture in the CL semis isn't ideal but it's more interesting than what we have now.

criticalanalysis

I thought this whole thing was just PSG getting back at Barca for the whole Veratti thing?

Like either way their bid does them no harm. Unsettles Neymar, shows their 'power', shows Veratti their ambition, etc etc.

El cangrejo

Supports
FC Luzern
No offence but this sounds like a very elitist comment and that's one of the reasons why we are so hated worldwide.
It's dumb logic too. In the 1950s Bayern, Milan and United weren't "historically big clubs".

Borat Sagdiyev

Think his talent will be wasted in Ligue 1 -- it's much better for the game if Neymar is playing in ~5 games per year against Madrid, plus a handful more against Atletico and another ~15 against the (still technically sound) also-rans rounding out the La Liga top 10. 5 goals every other week against Championship / League One level teams at the bottom of the French league would grow tiring very quickly.

As for the (quasi-)direct impact on United, I'd actually still prefer Coutinho stay in the PL, as I dislike the trend of top players "stepping up" to Barca / Real more than I do Liverpool and their fans. The fact that Gareth Bale, the greatest player from the UK of his generation (and one of the best ever if you don't control for era), plays in Spain, annoys me greatly. You didn't see Shearer, Giggs, Scholes, etc. in a Barca kit, for chrissake. Having the Coutinhos of the world in the PL makes the league much more compelling, even if they're wearing a rival's colors.

It'd still be a short term boon, of course -- hugely damaging to Liverpool if the proceeds from a prospective Neymar sale were to be spent in that manner. Coutinho slotting a through ball to Suarez at Camp Nou would grind a few scouser gears as well. :lol:

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Think his talent will be wasted in Ligue 1 -- it's much better for the game if Neymar is playing in ~5 games per year against Madrid, plus a handful more against Atletico and another ~15 against the (still technically sound) also-rans rounding out the La Liga top 10. 5 goals every other week against Championship / League One level teams at the bottom of the French league would grow tiring very quickly.
Naw, clasico will get watched around the world anyway. Its better for a new super star to rise to prominence at a team other than Real or Barca

Suedesi

I was thinking about this over the last couple of days.

If Neymar moves to PSG that would likely mean Coutinho moves to Barcelona. As a United fan not only would this weaken a rival team for the top 4 but we can also have a good laugh at the scousers losing their best player.

From a football fan perspective I think it would be a worry. For me it would be the very real sign that the sugar daddies are finally starting to push their way to the top. Many good players have moved to the likes of Chelsea, City and PSG since they were taken over but Neymar is on a different level. He is probably the third best player in the world and with his prime years yet to come. Once Messi and Ronaldo retired he will likely be the best in the world.

Not only this but it would inflate a market that has already gone awol.
Or Griezmann moves to Barcelona.

Runner

Its all a paradigm shift. La Liga and the Prem are fading stars like Serie A did. Ligue Un is the future. Soon the world will be tuning in to watch St-Etienne vs Rennes

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

As for the (quasi-)direct impact on United, I'd actually still prefer Coutinho stay in the PL, as I dislike the trend of top players "stepping up" to Barca / Real more than I do Liverpool and their fans. The fact that Gareth Bale, the greatest player from the UK of his generation (and one of the best ever if you don't control for era), plays in Spain, annoys me greatly. You didn't see Shearer, Giggs, Scholes, etc. in a Barca kit, for chrissake. Having the Coutinhos of the world in the PL makes the league much more compelling, even if they're wearing a rival's colors.

It'd still be a short term boon, of course -- hugely damaging to Liverpool if the proceeds from a prospective Neymar sale were to be spent in that manner. Coutinho slotting a through ball to Suarez at Camp Nou would grind a few scouser gears as well. :lol:
The overrating of English football strikes again.:lol:

VanGaalEra

Couldn't give two shits about Barca tbh, I'll laugh really hard and it weakens them which is great.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I'm sure there's widespread panic in the Barca board right now. I imagine they thought a 200 million euro buyout clause was untouchable but it seems to be a perfect storm of ballooning fees, them pissing off an oil rich club and the desired player and his entourage being very motivated by money it seems.

Not sure I would want him there but would be interesting to see what PSG could do in the CL with him in the team.

I can only imagine the effect that deal would have on the transfer market as a whole though. A lot of big players would be moving afterwards.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Neymar joining PSG will lead to a few years of domination by Real Madrid. At least domestically.

Also, I think PSG will win The Champions League within 2 years of him joining.
Unless they buy a new goalkeeper and a better defence, they won't IMHO. You can't win a trophy like a CL without a solid keeper and at the moment, they have clowns playing for them.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
The overrating of English football strikes again.:lol:
Manchester City has been destroyed by a League One level team last spring: monaco or mounako? I don't remember the name :confused:

Their management is so poor they have hired 2 players from them :annoyed:

Borat Sagdiyev

Naw, clasico will get watched around the world anyway. Its better for a new super star to rise to prominence at a team other than Real or Barca
Definitely cements PSG's place on the global stage, but as someone who watches tons of games, it'll be slightly disheartening to see him play in so many more lopsided fixtures.