g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Do we want to lose to City?

Coleyoscar

Never want to see United lose. Apart from everything else, hoping to deny Liverpool by losing to City would put us in a similar moral position to that badge-kissing Scouser passing to Drogba in 2010. Last thing we should do.

tom9999

Supports
Ronaldo
Never want to see United lose. Apart from everything else, hoping to deny Liverpool by losing to City would put us in a similar moral position to that badge-kissing Scouser passing to Drogba in 2010. Last thing we should do.
I think united will win or draw. I find it amusing fans on here think players or management care one bit about liverpool winning the title. United absolutely need champions league football. Why will a top player come and play in Europa? United can pay them? So can every other big club actually in the Champions League.United fans sounding deluded like the NBA Lakers in the States.

Players are going all out for this one. 1 1 draw or 2 1 United.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Ouch - that is a hell of a record mate!

I've not been since 2011. Not paying to see the garbage that's been served up the last few years.
It's not helped by tending to do the bigger draw games.
But when you bear in mind I didn't go to Liverpool (still a 0!), Arsenal, and we're yet to play City and Chelsea, it does show how poor we've been!!

In Jose's first season, I think I went to about 10 games and only saw 2 wins! We drew to everyone that year!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
They've arguably had better transfer windows when they didn't have CL than the other way around. And no, another season without CL isn't fixing their club but I hardly doubt it will immediately be fixed if they do play CL football next season.

If it was the other way around, I wouldn't actively want us to lose since top 4 is still possible but I certainly wouldn't mind if we lost either - who cares if City wins a title again, it would still be better than United...
You get it totally, and that's the attitude of most of United fans.
Turn up and it's a normal game, just with a "silver lining" if we did lose!

But as we're clearly going to change our "Hollywood" / Ed fantasy style of signings, and hopefully go for more longer term hungrier players, the draw will be United, rather than a few games in a certain tournament.
I must admit I've never quite got the obsession with a tournament you might have 6 games in.

a123

Supports
Liverpool
Although I appreciate the sentiment of not wanting Liverpool to win the title. I don't get why you'd want to lose if you have a chance of making it to the Champions League next season.

If you have no chance of top 4, I get it, but you're chasing it down, why would you not want to go after it. Surely you like Man Utd more than you hate Liverpool.

I know some say top 4 means nothing, its 1st or i'm not bothered, but you miss the bigger picture.

CL football provides a more solid foundation to build on for the future, there's more money, its easier to attract better players - don't forget next season Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern will spend big, probably City will spend again on defenders, PSG will cook the books and spend, even Arsenal if they get CL football can attract names.

Whilst money can get players in, other clubs have money too now, and you'd need to dump some big wages in order to pay someone else big wages.

Being out the CL can set you back a year or 2, that creeps up and becomes 3 and it spirals. Meanwhile everyone else wont stand still.

Simply getting top 4 and CL football is not the ends, but its the means to get you to where you want to go. Because the other way is backwards, and its harder to dig yourself out when you're in a hole, let alone start thinking about moving forwards over the next 2-3 years.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Why would any Utd fan want to lose tomorrow, which would do the following -

1) Gift one of your fiercest rivals the title
2) Knock you out of the top 4, meaning no CL next year, and less chance of attracting big players for next season.

If anyone is being deluded in thinking you are Man Utd so you can still attract the big names regardless of CL, you need to think again. Man Utd are slowly becoming what we became in the 90's, destined for the wilderness. The past 5 years since Fergie has been a nightmare for you guys, but its not going to get any better by praying and hoping to lose a game so you don't reach the top 4.

Another season without CL is not going to fix your club, whether Liverpool win the title or not.
1. City are noisy neighbors, not rivals, you lot are the rivals.
2. We made bigger signings without CL in the last few years.

Giggs86

I want to win against City, I don't care if who wins the PL if it isn't United.

Option 1: Liverpool win the PL and United get a top 4: We get CL and can attract the quality we need for the rebuild.

Option 2: City win the PL and United miss out on top 4: Who wants to come to a messy club in the Europa League?

In my opinion, aiming for success in the long term is smarter than purposely losing to City to deny our bitter rivals a trophy. I would choose option 1.
CL football and attracting quality is a myth. We didn't have problem attracting top quality such as Pogba, Zlatan and Di Maria without CL football. All were playing in the latter stages of the CL regularly with their previous clubs and all came to us to play Europa League football.

United will always be able to attract top talent. Glamour and money have more weight than CL football.

Mal donaghy

This season has been horrible, with the question would you rather Liverpooh or the Arabian knights,
Its tantamount to asking would you like to be violated orally or Anally, you know both ways are gonna hurt like hell, and your getting fooked either way! :nervous:

Markus3

100% do not want Liverpool to win the title, for the first time ever I don’t mind if we lose at all
I was a Man Utd supporter back in the late 70s early 80s, when there was no football coverage at all compared to today and the scouse fans were insufferable then
Imagine they win it this year, all we hear would be about them being back
Remember 2005

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
To be honest I’d want to win. We’d have a great chance of top 4 if we did given how the other teams are doing. Liverpool would only bottle it once they become the favourites again anyway.

However we haven’t got the choice unfortunately. City will beat us whether we want to beat them or not. Our form has fallen off a cliff and they are too good and have far too much on the line not to turn us over.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Is there actually much point in finishing top four? You don’t get a trophy for that and it’s not as if we’re going to win the Champions League next season even if we do.

Mibabalou

53', 93', 94', 99', 90+1', 90+3', 26', 34'
I honestly want us to lose.

We’re not getting top four unless spurs and arsenal lose 3 of their last matches.

The myth that CL is what players care about is bollocks, they care about big wages which CL clubs give them. Wages we can give them not in CL, see Pogba, Zlatan, Di Maria all joining when we didn’t have CL.

Have

a123

Supports
Liverpool
CL football and attracting quality is a myth. We didn't have problem attracting top quality such as Pogba, Zlatan and Di Maria without CL football. All were playing in the latter stages of the CL regularly with their previous clubs and all came to us to play Europa League football.

United will always be able to attract top talent. Glamour and money have more weight than CL football.
I disagree, especially if you consider other factors.

Di Maria was being offloaded, Ibrahimovic was in his retirement years, Pogba had history with you and needed a world record fee to bring him back.

A good barometer would be Sanchez. Lets go back to the Sanchez at Arsenal rather than the current one. Everyone wanted him.

It was between you and City, and also a desire to leave Arsenal. Imagine he was still at Arsenal and this scenario next season - if Arsenal are in CL, you finish 6th, would he join you, stay at Arsenal, or join City.

Ok he hasnt done great for you so far, but its more a case of what decision would a big name like Sanchez make this time round. I dont believe if youre out the CL he joins you over City or even leaves Arsenal to go to you.

Paul_Scholes18

I honestly want us to lose.

We’re not getting top four unless spurs and arsenal lose 3 of their last matches.

The myth that CL is what players care about is bollocks, they care about big wages which CL clubs give them. Wages we can give them not in CL, see Pogba, Zlatan, Di Maria all joining when we didn’t have CL.

Have
We can keep attracting all the mercenaries that has helped us so much recently!

Melville Red

Having read the last few pages I do hope Ole and the players have a good read of this as well and understand that losing on Wed night is something to be embraced, no need to worry about steward enquiries as most of the performances in the past few weeks have been abysmal any way.
Come on lads, you know it makes sense a good dicking by the bitters and then you can play your hearts out in the remaining games putting yourselves in the shop window for a transfer to Spain, France and anywhere else that takes your fancy.

Paul_Scholes18

Is there actually much point in finishing top four? You don’t get a trophy for that and it’s not as if we’re going to win the Champions League next season even if we do.
Is there a point to stay in the premier league since we are not favorites to win it?

I don't understand why people don't want us to go for the champions league. We may not win it, but we got to the last 8 and the gap to the top is probably smaller than it has been before.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
You know Man Utd entered dark times when you enter the forum and there's a thread with this title.

simpandenstore

Honestly, what is wrong with some of you? I dont get why you want United to lose and probably miss out on top 4. We get cash, we get to play the best tournament in the world, we can lure better player to our squad if we get there. It's baffling that you want us to lose so Liverpool miss out on the title. Where is your heart for the club? We should support our club to the fullest and cheer them on to victory in every single match we play, no matter the outcome.
You are not true fans to United in my eyes. If your egos cant cope with the fact that you might hear about Liverpool winning the title for a long time, you are weak minded.
Does your hate and anger against a rival overtriumph the love and passion for your club?

Cal?

CR7 fan
Having read the last few pages I do hope Ole and the players have a good read of this as well and understand that losing on Wed night is something to be embraced, no need to worry about steward enquiries as most of the performances in the past few weeks have been abysmal any way.
Come on lads, you know it makes sense a good dicking by the bitters and then you can play your hearts out in the remaining games putting yourselves in the shop window for a transfer to Spain, France and anywhere else that takes your fancy.
Well said. :D

Mibabalou

53', 93', 94', 99', 90+1', 90+3', 26', 34'
We can keep attracting all the mercenaries that has helped us so much recently!

That’s all players are.

You think they’re at Barca and Madrid for the love of it. They’re some of the highest payers in the world.

Same with city and pool, if we offered salah +25% if what Liverpool were offering him when we came from Roma he would have come here simple as that.

Once they’re there they won’t come here and vice versa but us not being in then CL will not stop us from bringing in who we need to get us back to the top.

Yea most players could go to China or Middle East and get more but you’re done with your national team.

Sterling Archer

Your uncle was a wise man and I'm disgusted to see you disavow the wisdom he spent a lifetime accruing to place in your hands. Meanwhile the "decent folk" Liverpool fans you come across in your new world territories would -if they hailed from Liverpool- carve into your back a Liver bird with the Stanley knife they've been hiding from the bizzies since 1978 as they hugged you in celebration of their first title in 3 decades. It seems a lot for you is "dimming". So rather than ponder the outcome of the Premier League this season, I think you ought to spend what time remains before May taking a long look inwards at a soul who sees only human fellowship where, in actual fact, wicked tribalism remains undimmed.
Actually found a better way to express myself :)

The Urban Goose

Good grief, have the last few years made us so "smalltime" that we want to lose to City? This is pure Liverpool 1990's territory.

No, we win every game. If that results in Liverpool winning the league, fine, we'll just have to knock them back off their perch yet again.

parkthebuslads

No, aside from wanting the best for us, i'd prefer a Liverpool title win. I prefer their football, consider them more of a "proper" club and would welcome any breaking up of this current period of City dominance.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
No, aside from wanting the best for us, i'd prefer a Liverpool title win. I prefer their football, consider them more of a "proper" club and would welcome any breaking up of this current period of City dominance.
Get outta town

Motorman

I want to win against City, I don't care if who wins the PL if it isn't United.

Option 1: Liverpool win the PL and United get a top 4: We get CL and can attract the quality we need for the rebuild.

Option 2: City win the PL and United miss out on top 4: Who wants to come to a messy club in the Europa League?

In my opinion, aiming for success in the long term is smarter than purposely losing to City to deny our bitter rivals a trophy. I would choose option 1.
What about option 3: We beat City, Liverpool win the league and we still miss out on CL

breakout67

Supports
Man City
:mad: Get the scouse lover tags back! Also while you're at it mods, remove the City support tag, I support United not City :(

bonothom

Klopp, Miner and Van Dyke trying to motivate our players by giving them shit. If the players can't be motivated by their own fans then I doubt some dic#head from Leeds is gonna make much difference. Great to see them collapsing as well at the end of this season, Villa will trounce them in the playoffs.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
City apparently have KDB, David Silva and Foulandingo out....potentially leaving Foden and Gundogan as their centre mid combo.

I reckon we're going to do them.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Meh, Liverpool's football is drab compared to Showbiz Brendan's team. I hope nobody wins the league.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Klopp, Miner and Van Dyke trying to motivate our players by giving them shit. If the players can't be motivated by their own fans then I doubt some dic#head from Leeds is gonna make much difference. Great to see them collapsing as well at the end of this season, Villa will trounce them in the playoffs.
"you were right, well done" should be the response afterwards if we lose.

I hope City go in for some, "Well, it's Benitez, he loves them, still lives there, and it's hardly worth even playing it" type comments before the Newcastle game

Ixion

Leeds is the only other side that could give most fans something to think about if the scousers were the other option.

Giggs86

Good grief, have the last few years made us so "smalltime" that we want to lose to City? This is pure Liverpool 1990's territory.

No, we win every game. If that results in Liverpool winning the league, fine, we'll just have to knock them back off their perch yet again.
Sadly we are in that territory, don't we? It's been 6 years since our last big trophy and we weren't even close to being anywhere near a title race since.