g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Does Rooney deserve a statue?

Sparky10Legend

I think he has about 25-26 pens and he's missed 9-10, he's not a great penalty taker it has to be said.

On how much of an achievement the record is to put into perspective Rooney isn't as good a finisher as Van Nistelrooy was. But Ruud averaged 25 goals a season for us and if he had been at United for 10 years and maintained that ratio he would have just beat the record by one goal. It's taken Rooney 12 years but it's not like just any old striker could score that amount of goals if given long enough.

Much as I respect your opinion mate Ruud wouldn't have taken 10 years, he was a 2 in 3 man so circa 7.

stevoc

Much as I respect your opinion mate Ruud wouldn't have taken 10 years, he was a 2 in 3 man so circa 7.
Well it wasn't really an opinion mate so much as fact. Or what i thought was fact i made a mistake in my last post, was thinking Ruud was at United for 6 years but it was only 5. So he actually averaged 30 goals a season over 5 years.

This is my opinion on it, Ruud left at 30 so i doubt if he had stayed until he was 35 he would have still averaged 30 goals a season until that age. On the same token had we signed him 5 years earlier than we did at 20 i still doubt he would have been averaging 30 a season from that age.

Now if we signed him at 20-22 and he stayed 10 years i have no doubt he would have broken the record but not by a mountain of goals. And that was my main point a top striker like Ruud or Shearer etc. would have broken the record given ten years. But not just any old striker, Cole and Hughes played here for 8-9 years and never came close to breaking the record. And i rate both those players highly, it really is an amazing achievement for Rooney to have scored 250 goals for us in 500+ games.

Dobbs

It's relevant to the people holding up things outside of on-pitch action
I see very few people mentioning Rooney's private life. I do see you repeatedly pointing out Best was an alcoholic(as well as the other unpleasant remarks).

Interested to know why Best being an alcohol would have anything to do with a statue decision. Are you attaching some sort of more judgement to the condition?

NextSeason

From the banks of the Irwell, to Sicily..
Its really not a minority. But we will agree to differ.

Many great players we have had over the years, many of who have been loved by the fans, Rooney not one of them.

Ref the record, he plays up front and has been with us for years, is it really "that much" of an achievement, i guess there is perhaps 50 pens in there too?

Le Tiss for example, similar ratio for a far far worse team.
Of course it's a minority. The rest of us aren't pedantic.

Traub

I'm trying to look at this as objectively as possible because, right now, when I think of Rooney I think of a player who is milking the club.

Thinking back though, he is one of the longest serving United players in modern history. Many fans like to beat him with two sticks:
1. The first transfer saga where he questioned the club's ambition
2. His last contract renewal.
Looking at each of these, I can't really blame him.
For 1 above, we had just lost the best player in the world IIRC and replaced him with the likes of Obertan and Valencia. As our top player at the time, he had every right to question the club's ambition.
For 2 above, I think we all have very short memories. The Moyes season (that is the one he renewed in) was one of the worst seasons in the club's history on the football field all things considered. Rooney was our best player that season IMO. From his own perspective, he could've easily moved to a club with a much rosier future. The truth is, at that point in time we needed him more than he needed us. His contract reflected that.

Now reading through this site, there's quite a few modern players put forward who supposedly deserve a statue before Rooney. Some examples include:
1. Ronaldo - a player who likened his employment by our club to that of a slave. A player who left just as he was hitting his peak.
2. Rio - a player who was getting tapped up by Chelsea while playing for us.
3. Vidic - our leader who jumped ship as soon as the going got tough (might I add the same season Rooney signed a new contract and stuck by the club).

I've included these three players as they are widely considered much more popular than Rooney. On the facts though, Rooney has done so much more for this club than any one of them. I'm not quite sure why we're so harsh on Rooney. I'm guilty of it myself. But out of all the modern players, I actually feel he deserves a statue more than any others. After all, he is actually the only one of the key SAF players who stuck around.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I see very few people mentioning Rooney's private life. I do see you repeatedly pointing out Best was an alcoholic(as well as the other unpleasant remarks).

Interested to know why Best being an alcohol would have anything to do with a statue decision. Are you attaching some sort of more judgement to the condition?
Being from NI I'm a big GB fan

The point is GB did a lot worse in his life and is still held up as a club legend. Yet Rooney gets stick from his own club supporters and play down his achievements

nick2004

Its really not a minority. But we will agree to differ.

Many great players we have had over the years, many of who have been loved by the fans, Rooney not one of them.

Ref the record, he plays up front and has been with us for years, is it really "that much" of an achievement, i guess there is perhaps 50 pens in there too?

Le Tiss for example, similar ratio for a far far worse team.
Actually they are not just a minority, the haters are a tiny, irrelevant minority. And their problem is that Rooney is a scouse, nothing else. They don't really care about Rooney wanting to leave... it's just an excuse, these people wanted Rooney to leave since the day he arrived because he is a scouse. If "leaving" was an actual factor, they'd have a much bigger problem with Pogba... who ACTUALLY LEFT, and we had to PAY 90 MILLION to get him back! And yet, nobody complains about Pogba... but some guys still complain about Rooney "threatening" to leave!!! It's silly! Wage negotiations are wage negotiations, it's nothing new or exceptional. It is only an excuse for some haters, nothing else.

Anyway, Man Utd is now a GLOBAL brand. There are millions of fans. The vast majority of them don't care about "scouse", they don't even know what it means and why it is "important" (hint: it isn't!). They don't care about "threatening to leave" or contract negotiations. They DO care about our ALL-TIME top scorer. In ten years, Rooney will be more famous than he is now! In 20 years his record will seem eternal!

And he will get a statue, definitely! It is important for our GLOBAL BRAND to recognize the ALL-TIME scorer! A statue is marketing, and GOALS are the essence of football.

nick2004

I'm trying to look at this as objectively as possible because, right now, when I think of Rooney I think of a player who is milking the club.

Thinking back though, he is one of the longest serving United players in modern history. Many fans like to beat him with two sticks:
1. The first transfer saga where he questioned the club's ambition
2. His last contract renewal.
Looking at each of these, I can't really blame him.
For 1 above, we had just lost the best player in the world IIRC and replaced him with the likes of Obertan and Valencia. As our top player at the time, he had every right to question the club's ambition.
For 2 above, I think we all have very short memories. The Moyes season (that is the one he renewed in) was one of the worst seasons in the club's history on the football field all things considered. Rooney was our best player that season IMO. From his own perspective, he could've easily moved to a club with a much rosier future. The truth is, at that point in time we needed him more than he needed us. His contract reflected that.

Now reading through this site, there's quite a few modern players put forward who supposedly deserve a statue before Rooney. Some examples include:
1. Ronaldo - a player who likened his employment by our club to that of a slave. A player who left just as he was hitting his peak.
2. Rio - a player who was getting tapped up by Chelsea while playing for us.
3. Vidic - our leader who jumped ship as soon as the going got tough (might I add the same season Rooney signed a new contract and stuck by the club).

I've included these three players as they are widely considered much more popular than Rooney. On the facts though, Rooney has done so much more for this club than any one of them. I'm not quite sure why we're so harsh on Rooney. I'm guilty of it myself. But out of all the modern players, I actually feel he deserves a statue more than any others. After all, he is actually the only one of the key SAF players who stuck around.
You are right!

And you forgot:

4. Pogba. Who actually left. Because he wasn't playing at 17 or 18 years old... can you believe it? And he wasn't here to help us the previous 3 years that we needed midfielders. And we actually paid a shitload of money to bring him back!...

Amazing, isn't it?

Well... Pogba isn't a scouse. That's the only explanation.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Actually they are not just a minority, the haters are a tiny, irrelevant minority. And their problem is that Rooney is a scouse, nothing else. They don't really care about Rooney wanting to leave... it's just an excuse, these people wanted Rooney to leave since the day he arrived because he is a scouse. If "leaving" was an actual factor, they'd have a much bigger problem with Pogba... who ACTUALLY LEFT, and we had to PAY 90 MILLION to get him back! And yet, nobody complains about Pogba... but some guys still complain about Rooney "threatening" to leave!!! It's silly! Wage negotiations are wage negotiations, it's nothing new or exceptional. It is only an excuse for some haters, nothing else.

Anyway, Man Utd is now a GLOBAL brand. There are millions of fans. The vast majority of them don't care about "scouse", they don't even know what it means and why it is "important" (hint: it isn't!). They don't care about "threatening to leave" or contract negotiations. They DO care about our ALL-TIME top scorer. In ten years, Rooney will be more famous than he is now! In 20 years his record will seem eternal!

And he will get a statue, definitely! It is important for our GLOBAL BRAND to recognize the ALL-TIME scorer! A statue is marketing, and GOALS are the essence of football.
'Does Rooney deserve a statue of nick?'

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

That's the thing, a statue isn't marketing, it's one of the rare thing that you do because you mean it. And no one asked for a statue of Pogba.

Dobbs

Being from NI I'm a big GB fan

The point is GB did a lot worse in his life and is still held up as a club legend. Yet Rooney gets stick from his own club supporters and play down his achievements
A big fan but repeatedly likes to point out Best was an alcoholic for some reason. You obviously think having a drink problem is morally wrong. An unpleasant way to look at a condition. Would you talk of depression (he also suffered with) in the same way.

He didn't walk out on United, he retired from football. A world away from flirting with another club to get more millions.

As I said before though, very few people have cited Rooney's personal life. You're the only poster I've seen who repeatedly brings up stuff like this.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
A big fan but repeatedly likes to point out Best was an alcoholic for some reason. You obviously think having a drink problem is morally wrong. An unpleasant way to look at a condition. Would you talk of depression (he also suffered with) in the same way.

He didn't walk out on United, he retired from football. A world away from flirting with another club to get more millions.

As I said before though, very few people have cited Rooney's personal life. You're the only poster I've seen who repeatedly brings up stuff like this.
Then you should read the thread again

And he didn't retire, he played football again for several teams

Dobbs

Then you should read the thread again

And he didn't retire, he played football again for several teams
When he left it was with the intention of retiring from football. That tells you the state of mind he was in at the time. To use that against him as a negative along with alcohol addiction is poor form. I'll leave it there to not derail the thread.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Rooneys record is fabulous so I'm not taking anything away from him.

Other players would have scored more goals if they had stayed the same time...some of the ratios of Van Nistelrooy, Taylor and Viollet were outstanding.

In fact Jack Rowley scored over 250 but some weren't included because they were wartime. He lost 7 years of goalscoring and would have scored over 300.

Rooney may well get a statue in the future...who knows...but comparing him to players loved by virtually everyone is not like for like.

nick2004

We really shouldn't be surprised though mate, theres an effort to downplay everything Rooney's ever achieved at United. Just read over this thread, multiple people now saying he was never even our best player at any point in his career. Which is nonsense.

It's only a matter of time i reckon before some start debating if Rooney was better than Crouch.
Crouch was taller. And he had more hair. And if he had been at United and if he had stayed here for 20 years, he would have scored 300 goals, more than Rooney. And he would be worth a statue, taller than Rooney's!

:lol:

minoo-utd

Club and Country top goal scorer, and no one knows how and when could his numbers be broken! Of course he deserves to be honored the way it should be.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
He’d have a statue at any other club in the PL. Our standards for statues are pretty high but I wouldn’t be against it.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If he gets it there should be "They say he is a legend" quote written somewhere.

JPB

No. Flirting with City alone is enough to not warrant a statue.

Also, does it ever snow in LA? Does a Scouser get a statue outside Old Trafford? No.

RUCK4444

Absolutely! Top goal scorer for club and country.

Won every single trophy available with the club, massively important player in our success during his time here.

Ticks every box for a statue. I vote for him in his celebration pose after the overhead kick (or the overhead kick itself.)

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Not a chance he will get it. Keane, Scholes, Giggs all played at highest level for many years, we won't have enough space to fit all the players who deserve it.

Amarsdd

Yes. The pose right before he strikes the volley against Newcastle (one of my favorite United goals)

Chicharo

Sorry, but no. If Giggs and Scholes don't have one, he surely shouldn't have one especially before them and several other players from the last couple of decades

RashyForPM

Keane, Giggsy and Scholsey deserve one before Rooney. Don’t forget he hold the club to ransome!
Footballer wants more money. Shock. Who wouldn’t want more money? I’m sure most people here have asked for a pay rise, and for footballers, the best way to do that is threaten a move to your rivals. Messi did it, and he’ll probably get 10 statues at Camp Nou when he finishes. Ramos did too. A club legend has leeway to push the boundaries a bit.

For me, he’s the top goalscorer of all time for us and England, and was part of the most successful period in our illustrious history. Get him a statue outside OT.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I don't care that he held the club to ransom. He deserves a statue. But yeah, how many players of ours deserves a statue? Unless you want the stadium grounds looking like the Pantheon, I'd find another way of honoring his contributions to the club.

JPB

Footballer wants more money. Shock. Who wouldn’t want more money? I’m sure most people here have asked for a pay rise, and for footballers, the best way to do that is threaten a move to your rivals. Messi did it, and he’ll probably get 10 statues at Camp Nou when he finishes. Ramos did too. A club legend has leeway to push the boundaries a bit.

For me, he’s the top goalscorer of all time for us and England, and was part of the most successful period in our illustrious history. Get him a statue outside OT.
He should ask City for a statue since he made them famous with that bicycle kick goal and he wanted to play for them also. We might as well give Tevez a statue too while we're at it. Just because you were a great player doesn't mean you deserve a statue outside Old Trafford.

You have to look at the person themselves. Alex Ferguson, Bobby Charlton. They were loyal to the bone, Icons. Alex Ferguson is almost seen as a god. They are Manchester United through and through. People like that deserve a statue. Paul Scholes deserves a Statue. Roy Keane deserves a statue. Eric Cantona most definitely deserves a statue. Wayne Rooney who would have played for Man City does not. I don't care how many goals he scored or how good a player he was. Loyalty is everything to football fans. You have to be a great player, a decent human being and you need to be United through and through. Evra deserves one ahead of him.

Trequarista10

Weirdly, at first I would have said no as it wouldn't seem right for a variety of reasons that others have mentioned. However, for some reason the suggestion of a statue of Rooney in action, striking the ball on the volley or the overhead kick, makes perfect sense and feels completely right.

Giggs86

Why would he deserve a statue? A legend no doubt but not every legend gets a statue. If he gets one then Giggs and Scholes deserve one too.

RashyForPM

He should ask City for a statue since he made them famous with that bicycle kick goal and he wanted to play for them also. We might as well give Tevez a statue too while we're at it. Just because you were a great player doesn't mean you deserve a statue outside Old Trafford.

You have to look at the person themselves. Alex Ferguson, Bobby Charlton. They were loyal to the bone, Icons. Alex Ferguson is almost seen as a god. They are Manchester United through and through. People like that deserve a statue. Paul Scholes deserves a Statue. Roy Keane deserves a statue. Eric Cantona most definitely deserves a statue. Wayne Rooney who would have played for Man City does not. I don't care how many goals he scored or how good a player he was. Loyalty is everything to football fans. You have to be a great player, a decent human being and you need to be United through and through. Evra deserves one ahead of him.
The Tevez comparison is ridiculous because he played two seasons and actually did go to City. Saying Evra deserves one ahead of him is also plain stupid. Rooney had his faults, but Scholes once didn’t turn up for a game. Keano had to be locked up. Cantona booted a racist fan, rightly, but still, he could have handled it differently. Giggs was just horrid. Rio missed a drugs test. Humans make mistakes, although Giggs’ one was particularly bad.

These are all worse misdemeanours than threatening to go to City just to get a pay rise when he obviously wouldn’t have done anyway. Remember, he came round instantly when Giggs and Neville spoke to him the next day. At the end of the day, you can’t say off-the-field stuff should detract from him getting a statue when he only made one mistake and still stayed to become our outright top goalscorer. Only a few post-war legends iirc conducted themselves perfectly while at United, including the likes of Fergie, Busby, Sir Bobby, Edwards, Law and Robbo. Even the likes of Ronaldo angled to leave about 10 times.

For what Rooney did, he deserves a statue imo.