Does Rooney deserve a statue?

PieCrust

I don't think so. His contribution to United probably deserves it based on merit alone, but he was a player that always had either his eye on getting out or at least strong arming the club into better contracts. I think there's more to getting immortalized via a statue than just the on pitch performance and for me, Rooney fails that test.

Club legend. But not every legend gets a statue.

lysglimt

Scout
I don't think so. His contribution to United probably deserves it based on merit alone, but he was a player that always had either his eye on getting out or at least strong arming the club into better contracts. I think there's more to getting immortalized via a statue than just the on pitch performance and for me, Rooney fails that test.

Well, how does this differ from Best or Keane ? Both either left United, or threatened to leave United if they weren't offered a better contract. Best got a statue, and both Rooney and Keane has done a lot more for United than Best has. So there is no logical reason for not giving those 2 a contract when Best got one.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
While he probably merits it, where do you stop? Eventually we'd be littered with statues all over the place, every modern player will want one.

I think it's nice what they did for the holy trinity but i think being in the record books is enough personally.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Definitely deserves a statue. All time top scorer. Among the most important and ever present members of an all conquering side that dominated the league for a decade

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
How can he have an argument for statue when Giggs doesn't have one?

matt23

No because he's scouse and that's what you get for being scouse.

Legend though

Olecurls99

The likes of Giggs, Scholes and Keane.

Wouldn't complain if he got one, wouldn't be bothered if he didn't.
Agree. There's lots of people I'd have ahead of Rooney. I think he only had 2 good goalscoring seasons. He was a fantastic player for us but there has been plenty who were better.

vanrooney

rooney was immense. many forget his greatness because of the later years. he is our all time top scorer, scored one of the best goals ever scored by united, won everything you can win in club football and was always a top team player. of course he would deserve a statue. shouldnt be a discussion

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
When did they unveil the Holy trinity one I am gonna say it was in the 00's, the next one should be G Nev, Scholes and Giggs as for when that will be who knows
Gary Neville a statue before Rooney or Cantona? :lol: Come on

davidmichael

Maybe but he’s nowhere near the top of the list that deserve it first and I’d say those calling for it now is a knee jerk decision based on his retirement yesterday.

Eric Cantona, Ryan Giggs, Bryan Robson, Paul Scholes and Roy Keane would all be next in line and roughly in that order for those that deserve a statue at Old Trafford followed by Ole if he were to manage winning the league as player and manager then also Ronaldo as he’s the only player in Premier League history to win World Player Of The Year.

Polar

rooney was immense. many forget his greatness because of the later years. he is our all time top scorer, scored one of the best goals ever scored by united, won everything you can win in club football and was always a top team player. of course he would deserve a statue. shouldnt be a discussion
Agree with everything except I’m not sure he deserves a statue.

To deserve a statue I think United should take other things than only football and “on-pitch” skills into consideration, perhaps with some exceptions, example George Best, Ronaldo (at one point the best player in Europe or in the world). Rooney hasn’t been there, and I don’t think Rooney’s “off-pitch” performance can justify a statue :nervous:

How many statues are we suppose to have at OT? Because if Rooney deserves a statue other players do to. I don’t want Inflations regarding statues:wenger:

Last edited:

vanrooney

Agree with everything except I’m not sure he deserves a statue.

To deserve a statue I think United should take other things than only football and “on-pitch” skills into consideration, perhaps with some exceptions, example George Best, Maradona (at one point the best player in Europe or in the world). Rooney hasn’t been there, and I don’t think Rooney’s “off-pitch” performance can justify a statue :nervous:

How many statues are we suppose to have at OT? Because if Rooney deserves a statue other players do to. I don’t want Inflations regarding statues:wenger:
you may have a point. on the other hand the potential inflation is only a thing because of our domination in the 90s and 00. we should be happy for that "problem". maybe we will also have to wait for 20 years for the next pl title - who knows. time flies when you think that its now 7/8 years allready. in that case we wont have to talk about statues. all in all i do think rooney along with giggs and scholes should have some sort of recognition

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
He won't get a statue or any recognition at United in the same vein (ie, training ground pitch named after him, ground entrance or wired things of similar Ilk) until he's out of the game entirely.
For me it would seem wierd putting a statue of Derby's current manager up outside the ground!!

Polar

you may have a point. on the other hand the potential inflation is only a thing because of our domination in the 90s and 00. we should be happy for that "problem". maybe we will also have to wait for 20 years for the next pl title - who knows. time flies when you think that its now 7/8 years allready. in that case we wont have to talk about statues. all in all i do think rooney along with giggs and scholes should have some sort of recognition
Agree, but maybe we can sort that problem with having a statue of Scholes, Neville, Beckham, Butt (together) symbolising something else than the individuals; a tribute to the youth-system; gave us generational talents who brought us into a fantastic period.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If I'm not mistaken at the moment the standard for players statues is to win a Ballon d'Or as a Manchester United player.

vanrooney

Agree, but maybe we can sort that problem with having a statue of Scholes, Neville, Beckham, Butt (together) symbolising something else than the individuals; a tribute to the youth-system; gave us generational talents who brought us into a fantastic period.
yes a recognition of our youth set up would be also in line with our tradition.

dalriada

Good luck to him at Derby, I hope he keeps them up and is successful as a manager, but I'm not a big fan of statues, especially for living persons. I'm fine with Sir Matt, but to be honest I'm not comfortable with the others and we can't keep adding to them.

redmanx

I agree, he was a great player but not a legend like Law, Best, Charlton, Edwards, Robson, Cantona, Keane, Scholes, Beckham, Giggs or Ronaldo, he lost the chance to be compared with the real Greats when he tried to hold the club to ransom, claiming its ambitions didnt match his own, but as soon as he got a big pay rise he backed down. Some would argue in that case Denis Law doesnt deserve to be a Legend as he demanded a pay rise in 1964/65 ann was immediately put on the transfer list by Busby lol! Later, according to Denis, he apologized and told Busby he didnt want to leave, and Busby gave him the rise but warned him that "no player is bigger than The Club!" Rooney never learned that lesson. I include Beckham inmy list of legends despite his sad ending at United, for which I blame his missus!

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I wonder if the sculptor will catch the glimmer of grannies in his eyes.

redmanx

Maybe but he’s nowhere near the top of the list that deserve it first and I’d say those calling for it now is a knee jerk decision based on his retirement yesterday.

Eric Cantona, Ryan Giggs, Bryan Robson, Paul Scholes and Roy Keane would all be next in line and roughly in that order for those that deserve a statue at Old Trafford followed by Ole if he were to manage winning the league as player and manager then also Ronaldo as he’s the only player in Premier League history to win World Player Of The Year.
We've had so many great players, like those you've mentioned, but simply dont have the room for statues of them all lol! And if anybody deserves a statue at Old Trafford it is the Legendary Jimmy Murphy, the man who was Matt Busbys right hand man throughout his spell as manager and who brought United back from the brink of extinction after Munich and took them to the 1958 FA Cup Final. Murphy is as big a legend as Busby, Law, Best and Charlton and without him there would have been no Busby Babes and the United of today would be very, very different.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I am still waiting for a Cantona statue...
Maybe after Cantona one was built, Rooney can line up in the queue behind Giggs, Scholes, Keane, Robson etc....

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Well, how does this differ from Best or Keane ? Both either left United, or threatened to leave United if they weren't offered a better contract. Best got a statue, and both Rooney and Keane has done a lot more for United than Best has. So there is no logical reason for not giving those 2 a contract when Best got one.
People forget with time. I am too young to know what Best's situation was and already "forgiving" Rooney for his transfer requests. All in all players have just one career and it's perhaps in their best interest to ear as much money as possible and win as many trophies as possible. What he left on the pitch was more crucial to me anyway.

I will remember that blot on his CV with us but after all he's a clubs best goalscorer and probably will deserve a statue at some point but like someone mentioned perhaps we should wait a bit more. He's a living person and only just finished his career. Similar to giving OBE away.

Red00012

Probably about 5 players that deserve a statue more than Rooney so No

Mike Phelan's Former Tash

No he shouldn't, he is a legend though no doubt.

Giggs shouldn't get one either, he ruined it for himself having an affair with his brother's wife for all those years.

If Ole pulls in a title this year and then a few more big trophies beyond that then he should have one further down the line. The man lives and breathes for the club.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
When did they unveil the Holy trinity one I am gonna say it was in the 00's, the next one should be G Nev, Scholes and Giggs as for when that will be who knows
Neville would be a bit much imo. It should be reserved for truly special players.

KennyBurner

Ungrateful United fans. Rooney deserves a statue. He is the face of United in the 2000s era. Class of 92 could have got a statue but we are well past that. If Rooney doesn't get a statue within the next 5 years then we will be well past him also.

But he should get a statue for his service.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Rooney went from being one of my favourite players at the time to one who I felt indifference towards following the whole City thing. But in hindsight he really should be more appreciated. Phenomenal footballer.

dal

No, but I believe he will be a cracking manager, in the modern game you need to have a certain level headedness almost a consistency to your personality, at least in public.

Surprisingly I believe he has this, I really like him and believe his matured very well and has improved himself.