Does Rooney deserve a statue?

wolvored

All time goal scorer. If anyone deserves a statue, plaque or whatever then whoever beat Charltons record should have a commeration.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I mean, it could definitely be justified, but probably not for a little while yet.

How long after they stopped playing did Law/Best/Charlton get theres? And when was Busby's erected?

I think a Class of 92 or a Cantona statue takes precedent before Rooney.

RUCK4444

Statues and other long-lasting things like that shouldn't be given immediately, except I guess for a manager like Fergie. I would say 15-20 years should pass before those decisions are made for players.
Not sure about that, I mean they can always be taken down if the former player does something unacceptable or is disgraced in someway (if that’s what you mean?)

The clubs top scorer of all time, a player who won every trophy possible domestically for the club, former captain and leader. He absolutely needs a statue.

Ask yourself this, if Rooney doesn’t deserve a statue what does a player have to do to get one?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The ground is huge, so it certainly wouldn't hurt to have a few more statues or named lounges etc.

A guy who played for us for 13 years, is our all time top scorer, and is England's record scorer surely deserves one.

But there's no rush. He's only just retired, so in a few years time.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
No he shouldn't, he is a legend though no doubt.

Giggs shouldn't get one either, he ruined it for himself having an affair with his brother's wife for all those years.

If Ole pulls in a title this year and then a few more big trophies beyond that then he should have one further down the line. The man lives and breathes for the club.
Best was violent towards multiple women, but he still got a statue. Giggs should get one, but the club will wait long enough for his adultery to be nothing more than a footnote.

I'd rank the most deserving as:

Giggs
Cantona
Keane/Scholes
Rooney/Ronaldo

All 6 could even be paired up. Giggs/Cantona in the mid-90s Sharp Viewcam era, Keane/Scholes '99, Rooney/Ronaldo '08.

marktan

Rooney, Ronaldo, and O'Shea, from the 2007 side. O'Shea's statue should have the expression he had after lobbing Almunia, as if to say, what the feck am I doing here

davidmichael

We've had so many great players, like those you've mentioned, but simply dont have the room for statues of them all lol! And if anybody deserves a statue at Old Trafford it is the Legendary Jimmy Murphy, the man who was Matt Busbys right hand man throughout his spell as manager and who brought United back from the brink of extinction after Munich and took them to the 1958 FA Cup Final. Murphy is as big a legend as Busby, Law, Best and Charlton and without him there would have been no Busby Babes and the United of today would be very, very different.
Exactly I fully agree and those were names just quickly off the top of my head which didn’t include Nobby Stiles or Duncan Edwards or as you’ve said Jimmy Murphy so there’s simply too many and that right to a statue should be reserved for THE VERY biggest of our legends that have played for the club.

Right now I honestly think only Eric Cantona and Ryan Giggs are truly worthy of having a statue and that isn’t a slight on all our other legends over the years, simply more that those two are the two main standouts from the greatest period in the clubs history along with Sir Alex.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
No, a statue is for proper legends. He was never one for me.

Djemba-Djemba

No he shouldn't get one.

It's not just about statistics, it's often about what they meant to the club. Their relationship with the fans.

Cantona should be getting one way before Rooney ever does

Giggs86

Statues are overrated anyway. We can have statues of all the '99 treble winning side and the '08 double winning side and still have room for a giant inflatable LvG figure.

To name a stand after someone, now that's something.

Smores

Nah i doubt he will ever get one. Statues should be decades later to commemorate important parts of our history. The CO92 represent an iconic period so they'll get one first.

lex talionis

Rooney, Ronaldo, and O'Shea, from the 2007 side. O'Shea's statue should have the expression he had after lobbing Almunia, as if to say, what the feck am I doing here
To this day that moment is one of my favorite moments of the Ferguson era. I’d call it a chip and not a lob, but either way it was a glorious goal in a fantastic match, capped off by a superbly humble goal celebration that expressed awe at not just the goal, but everything that led up to that moment on a night that was unforgettable for so many reasons. It was truly, history made.

Last edited:

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Ah, it hurts, doesn't it?
What hurt is my brain from reading some idiocy from some 14-year-old edgelord who thinks he can pass judgement but can't even pass a basic math exam.

Chairman Steve

Depends if his contributions and records stand the test of time. You could have someone come along and blow his records out of the water.

I imagine back in 2007 you’d be thinking Ronaldinho would get a statue at Nou Camp, but he’s an afterthought after Messi now.

DoomSlayer

What hurt is my brain from reading some idiocy from some 14-year-old edgelord who thinks he can pass judgement but can't even pass a basic math exam.
I really got under your skin. :lol: Doesn't change the fact that Rooney is one of the biggest legends of Manchester United, the undisputed top goalscorer of the club and also the same for his national team.

You swearing at me for 2 continuous posts doesn't do anything good for your case, either.

Withnail

Statues are overrated anyway. We can have statues of all the '99 treble winning side and the '08 double winning side and still have room for a giant inflatable LvG figure.

To name a stand after someone, now that's something.
We should definitely have a giant inflatable LVG :lol:

Polar

Ungrateful United fans. Rooney deserves a statue. He is the face of United in the 2000s era. Class of 92 could have got a statue but we are well past that. If Rooney doesn't get a statue within the next 5 years then we will be well past him also.

But he should get a statue for his service.
I dont understand what’s wrong with “well past”?

In my opinion “well past” is the most proper approach regarding statues. It’s easier and more
correct to judge people or performances in a historical perspective after a certain time.

Today United should prioritise a statue of the Class of 92. First of all to honour and emphasis the importance of youth department and developing of own players; example of how it can result in great success. Think the timing is perfect from now and within 5y.

It’s way to early to have a statue of Rooney. We can re-start this discussion and give our judgements when Rooney is between 50 and 70y old. If no one in the meantime is able to beat his record, he probably deserves a statue even though he never has been the best player in the world or in Europe.

Stevieboy

I suppose he’s a legend for the club, but where do you stop, does Cantona deserve a statue? A lot of Utd fans may think he does, does Giggs, Bryan Robson maybe?....how about a Gnome size one of Rooney looking up at Sir Bobby, Bestie & Dennis....That said would we as fans want a scouser as a statue outside Old Trafford? We’d never live it down!

Withnail

I really got under your skin. :lol: Doesn't change the fact that Rooney is one of the biggest legends of Manchester United, the undisputed top goalscorer of the club and also the same for his national team.

You swearing at me for 2 continuous posts doesn't do anything good for your case, either.
He was right. You definitely can't count

Raredaredevil

Best was violent towards multiple women, but he still got a statue. Giggs should get one, but the club will wait long enough for his adultery to be nothing more than a footnote.

I'd rank the most deserving as:

Giggs
Cantona
Keane/Scholes
Rooney/Ronaldo

All 6 could even be paired up. Giggs/Cantona in the mid-90s Sharp Viewcam era, Keane/Scholes '99, Rooney/Ronaldo '08.
All of them deserve a statue except Ronaldo. Can't give a statue to someone who left us at his peak and is remembered more for his Real Madrid days.

Giggs86

That was 2005 wasn't it? The Highbury game where Keane made Vieira shit his pants in the tunnel. Giggs, Scholes and Keane should be added too.

dogwithabone

There’d be no room left for a Rooney statue after all those more deserving have had theirs built.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Don't understand this obsession with statues.

What do people want - some kind of statue park surrounding Old Trafford?

Statues are normally shite from an aesthetic perspective. The less of them, the better.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
That infamous Ronaldo statue kinda looks like Rooney, matbe you can nick it.

AFC NimbleThumb

The way people rave about McFred we should be renaming the stadium after him.

Feck a statue the man deserves his respect from the fanbase as a whole! If he were lining up against Pool for us tomorrow we’d walk it.

Love the man!

Zen86

All of them deserve a statue except Ronaldo. Can't give a statue to someone who left us at his peak and is remembered more for his Real Madrid days.
Yep, it would be very small time to have a statue of Ronaldo. Great player for us, but he ultimately wanted to jump ship at the first opportunity.

I don’t think Rooney should have one either.

Mindhunter

Ronaldo shouldn’t get a statue. The player has to give his best years to the club to be eligible for one. Real has a stronger claim for him than us. Even though he won a lot with us including a CL, the rest of the world sEmma his time with us as formative.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
That infamous Ronaldo statue kinda looks like Rooney, matbe you can nick it.
Wouldn't mind that: Line up the Ronaldo statue facing a statue of Phil Jones wearing his signature Phil Jones face and call it "The Woodward era: a monument to wasting cash" - that'd be art.