Does Rooney deserve a statue?

Dobbs

If you think Keane, Ferdinand etc didn't do very similar indeed, you're very naïve i'm afraid.
I don't think anybody would say players should just accept what they're given. Negotiation is fine. You can haggle over pay and still maintain a level of respect for the club and your manager. Rooney didn't do that. So the situations were not very similar.

Hence so many not wanting a statue.

Smores

The only justification you can give to the idea is that he's broken the record thats it. Im not sure thats enough, plenty of other players more deserving and then you have a debate over which records are worthy.

Statue worthy players for me are those who everyone went to see for how great and exciting they were. Rooney was rarely that, perhaps at the very start. If Ronaldo had stayed with us he'd have probably ended up with his own statue as he's special alas he fecked off for home.

There's a group of lads who deserve one first. Imagine Rooney getting one before Scholes, Giggs, Neville.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
Never understood this argument. How on earth could you criticise Rooney for us not winning that year?
It's not just that year. Both times Rooney was United's top performer, going by the Matt Busby Player of the Year Awards, both ended with league cups. Not bad, but by United standards, hardly anything to write home about.

Rooney was never a player you could build a team around, not a player who could be relied on to drag his team to the finish line, a là RvP or Cantona. He's also been uninspiring as a captain.

He was an outstanding and versatile player in his prime, been with us for a long time, scored some beautiful goals and broke the scoring record, and recognition for that is his reward.

I believe his transfer requests would have been forgiven if he was good enough, because fans are fickle, but off field antics aside he is still some way short of an all time great.

tl;dr: No, not worthy of a statue.

red4ever 79

Absolutely not. Yes he has the record which will grant him legendary status, but he is not well liked with Utd fans due to his past behaviour holding the club to ransom.

He will never be beloved by the Utd fans the way Best, Charlton, Law, Ferguson were. Never

NextSeason

From the banks of the Irwell, to Sicily..
It's not just that year. Both times Rooney was United's top performer, going by the Matt Busby Player of the Year Awards, both ended with league cups. Not bad, but by United standards, hardly anything to write home about.

Rooney was never a player you could build a team around, not a player who could be relied on to drag his team to the finish line, a là RvP or Cantona. He's also been uninspiring as a captain.

He was an outstanding and versatile player in his prime, been with us for a long time, scored some beautiful goals and broke the scoring record, and recognition for that is his reward.

I believe his transfer requests would have been forgiven if he was good enough, because fans are fickle, but off field antics aside he is still some way short of an all time great.

In my opinion, it's a completely stupid arguement.

He scored 34 goals in each of those seasons, more than Cantona ever scored (25 max), so it's not his fault that we didn't win the league in those years. We came very close in both years and it just so happens we fell short.

Also, in the 2010/11 season, Rooney didn't score a tally to write home about but he scored massive goals such as the City bicycle, West Ham away hat-trick and the penalty at Blackburn to win the league.

Statue is a matter of opinion but it's not even a debate about whether he's a legend or not. Just go on United's website and check. :lol:

NextSeason

Absolutely not. Yes he has the record which will grant him legendary status, but he is not well liked with Utd fans due to his past behaviour holding the club to ransom.

He will never be beloved by the Utd fans the way Best, Charlton, Law, Ferguson were. Never
Not well liked amongst a minority of try-hard United fans. Guess you didn't hear the away end at Stoke? That's where our hardcore support reside.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
In my opinion, it's a completely stupid arguement.
Don't get yourself wound up, it's just opinions.

He scored 34 goals in each of those seasons, more than Cantona ever scored (25 max), so it's not his fault that we didn't win the league in those years. We came very close in both years and it just so happens we fell short.
That's the point. Cantona brought something more than goals and stats, he inspired the team and fans.

Also, in the 2010/11 season, Rooney didn't score a tally to write home about but he scored massive goals such as the City bicycle, West Ham away hat-trick and the penalty at Blackburn to win the league.
Berbatov played some awesome stuff and scored some fabulous goals. Legend?

Statue is a matter of opinion but it's not even a debate about whether he's a legend or not. Just go on United's website and check.
I didn't say he wasn't a 'legend'. And it is debatable and depends on your definition of the word.

Munich_1958

Ryan Giggs is the most decorated player in our history and has played more games for our club than anyone surely he is first on the list, maybe this discussion should start

SirScholes

Personally no, not at present.

I wouldn't give it to someone like Keane either, Rooney is a club legend but a statue should be considered for those who have contributed to more than just the playing side of our club.

The class of 92 I would say yes

JustJackTheLad

I believe so! He's the first player people will think of when you say Manchester United for many many years to come.

Highest scorer for club and country.

Ok i get the off field antics but

NextSeason

Don't get yourself wound up, it's just opinions.

That's the point. Cantona brought something more than goals and stats, he inspired the team and fans.

Berbatov played some awesome stuff and scored some fabulous goals. Legend?

I didn't say he wasn't a 'legend'. And it is debatable and depends on your definition of the word.
If that City bicycle kick and West Ham away hat-trick isn't inspiration when we really needed it, I don't know what is. :lol:

And you said he isn't even a great which wouldn't make him a legend, no?

Cantona's karate kick on that supporter really helped us out as well...

Last edited:

Minimalist

Don't know why some people are thinking it would be around the corner. It took until 2008 for the Best/Charlton/Law statue to get made and let's be honest, it was a romantic story that delivered that.

I'm not convinced Rooney has that side.

Hed Zitin

There is about six players ahead in the queue for a statue.

Can only imagine how hilarious this statue would look. Some kid in the distant future is going to look at that statue and say, "who is the ogre man daddy?"

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I don't think anybody would say players should just accept what they're given. Negotiation is fine. You can haggle over pay and still maintain a level of respect for the club and your manager. Rooney didn't do that. So the situations were not very similar.

Hence so many not wanting a statue.
Keane was a huge fuss at the time, that was 50k a week was huge money.
He'd clearly met with all the rival clubs, and there were plenty of stories and quotes from him about how he might well go unless he got his money.

Got about as close as you can get without officially putting a transfer request in.

The obvious difference of course was that he'd have been a free agent, so didn't need to.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Keane got what he deserved proportionately. The club was printing money back then and were low balling him and I don't ever recall him being "Angry and Confused" at the club during his negotiation and subsequently submitting a formal transfer request.

Ferdinand you have a point on but I don't see a clamour for him to have a statue so I don't see what he has to do with it.

Fact is Rooney fleeced us when we were in a vulnerable position firstly then spat the dummy when we brought in Kagawa and van Persie and then he was eventually dopped.
I'd say Keane was the one to look at. He'd have been out of contract, so didn't need to put a transfer request in.
He was clearly touting himself round Europe though, and made plenty of noises about how he'd leave if not paid 50k a week

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
There is about six players ahead in the queue for a statue.

Can only imagine how hilarious this statue would look. Some kid in the distant future is going to look at that statue and say, "who is the ogre man daddy?"
And the answer would be the highest ever goalscorer for this club and country, records that will take incredible efforts to ever match

Dobbs

Keane was a huge fuss at the time, that was 50k a week was huge money.
He'd clearly met with all the rival clubs, and there were plenty of stories and quotes from him about how he might well go unless he got his money.

Got about as close as you can get without officially putting a transfer request in.

The obvious difference of course was that he'd have been a free agent, so didn't need to.
But that was the reality of the situation. Keane said he wanted a pay rise, United said no, negotiations went not and the deal was sorted. Even though it had everybody worried there was an honesty, Keane was upfront about what he wanted. He never dressed up his desire for a better deal as anything else.

Contrast that with a player questioning the ambition of the club and manager then almost immediately signing a new deal.

You can see the difference right?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Still underating a massive achievement

Off the pitch antics shouldn't come into it, otherwise there wouldn't be a George best statue

davidmichael

Cantona, Giggs and Keane should surely all be in line before Rooney was even considered regardless of the record and I'd say that Schmeichel, Solskjaer and Ronaldo are all considered bigger and much more popular legends for us.

I won't take anything away from him breaking records at international and club level as both were amazing achievements with both records being around for such a long time but then Rooney has been with us for 12-13 years as a striker, if someone else breaks it will they automatically be given a status too ?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Beckham should rather get a statue. Global icon and much more good looking. I don't think even the recent football statue makers could mess him up.

Cassady

Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley
Supports
Accrington Stanley.
Yeah Newcastle have a Shearer statue, Arsenal Henry, Bolton Lofthouse, Everton Dixie Dean and i think Wolves have a Bull statue might be others.

So it seems to be a thing, in that case i think it would be fair enough for Rooney to get one eventually if the club wants to.
Shanks.

markhrad

Agreed. Over-rated and never a main man but he is a legend now that he has our goalscoring record. The latter in itself is not enough to warrant a statue.
I agree with others that Ronaldo is the only player in modern times that would have deserved one if he stayed longer.
To me you have to at least been recognized as the best player in the world/ ballon d'or to deserve a statue. We are a massive club and in many occasions we were considered the biggest club in the world, therefore our statues should reflect that we had players who were at one time considered the best in the world or at least the best in Europe.
I would, however, like to see some form of appreciation given to the class of '92. They played a great role in our return and stay at the top of English football. Maybe a huuge mural.

stevoc

But that was the reality of the situation. Keane said he wanted a pay rise, United said no, negotiations went not and the deal was sorted. Even though it had everybody worried there was an honesty, Keane was upfront about what he wanted. He never dressed up his desire for a better deal as anything else.

Contrast that with a player questioning the ambition of the club and manager then almost immediately signing a new deal.

You can see the difference right?
You do know that the questioning the clubs signings and the transfer request etc was in the summer?

It didn't all happen in the space of a week, Ferguson made it public in October, the reaction to it obviously made Rooney change his mind. He was offered similar terms before and turned it down before he signed the contract in October.

This was all in Fergies book along with his own opinion that he doesn't think Rooney wanting to leave in 2010 was about money, heres the quote.

It was a sorry episode for Wayne because it portrayed him as a money man who had dropped his grievance the minute his salary was raised. Thats the way it was presented, but i don't think it was Wayne's intention to make it a financial issue.

RooneyLegend

He doesn't. Only Robson, Cantona and Ronaldo deserve statue's. Everyone else just falls a tiny bit short.

SaintMuppet

Rooney just doesn't have that certain 'something' that statues are supposed to represent.

He was blessed with talent yes, he scored lots of goals sure. But he doesn't have any X factor.

George had it. Eric has still got it even now. Wayne bless him never did and never will.