Sound.

1. Pat_Mustad vs 2mufc0 / mazhar13 -
2. Diarm vs Green_smiley -
3. Tuppet vs Moby -
4. Enigma vs Lord SInister -
Thursday 16th

Moby

Dick
Pick dates, update the list, usual drill. Lets try and wrap it up this week.

1. Pat_Mustad vs 2mufc0 / mazhar13 -
2. Diarm vs Green_smiley -
3. Tuppet vs Moby -
4. Enigma vs Lord SInister -

I am good for any weekday @Moby Can't do the weekends.
Same. You are in the US right? I can try and get something ready by today afternoon UK time. If not then tomorrow for sure.

Afternoon only coz my graphic file is at home otherwise can just use sharemytactics and get it done in a couple of hours.

Tuppet

Same. You are in the US right? I can try and get something ready by today afternoon UK time. If not then tomorrow for sure.

Afternoon only coz my graphic file is at home otherwise can just use sharemytactics and get it done in a couple of hours.
Yeah today afternoon is fine with me.

Moby

Dick
Funnily enough neither of Messi, Maradona or Beckenbauer would be of priority to me as reinforcements if it were to happen. It is bound to get underrated in front of GOATfest teams but I really do love the look of my current front three which I think provide an ideal balance. Both ADP and Vieri compliment each other well and have the individual ability, skill and presence to keep the defenders occupied and drag them around while at the same time Platini being the alpha being a clear outline with the front two supporting him. It's the situation that brought the best out of Platini where he was surrounded by great role players and simply took the entire responsibility of the playmaker as well as goalscorer. Surrounding him with GOATs and making him share that load would be counterproductive imo while in this role it's just the ideal setting he needs to shine.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
There's a huge difference in the wingers. Beckham can't play in a 4231 and Messi can't play in a 442. In a 4231 the CM pair is a double pivot allowing the front 4 to attack. In a 442 a lot of times its up to the CM to be the attacking/creative force and break the opposition down. Our pair of Keane and Scholes was incredibly dynamic and had a proper playmaker with the touch of a genius who had the bulk of the ball and controlled the tempo. That was a great feature and essential with the wide players being midfielders.

Similarly if one of the forwards is a #10-ish it becomes a 4411 like Arsenal who could afford Vieira and Petit/Gilberto behind Bergkamp and Henry. In a 442 you have two forwards who rely on service from wingers and through the middle, which is why again a central playmaker is important.

Again all these are great players and 'can' do everything but I'm talking of having someone who is world class at doing that.
I understand where you are coming from. Very much in line with how I don't like seeing United PL XIs featuring that midfield with CR instead of Beckham. If you want CR it is Giggs you have to bench.

When we had Ince-Keane we had Cantona and we could only have Yorke-Cole with a Scholes.

Having Zico automatically takes it away from a 442. No role for such a player in that formation.
To me when people say 4-4-2, 4-4-1-1 is also in the cards. The main difference being how creative and "midfieldery" the second striker is. With Zico or ADS you are talking 4-4-1-1 and because they are there I'm more inclined to Lothar-Frank. In fact, they make Zico a clear option, while if it wasn't such a monster midfield ADS being a one man spine would be more relevant.

Moby

Dick
To me when people say 4-4-2, 4-4-1-1 is also in the cards. The main difference being how creative and "midfieldery" the second striker is. With Zico or ADS you are talking 4-4-1-1 and because they are there I'm more inclined to Lothar-Frank. In fact, they make Zico a clear option, while if it wasn't such a monster midfield ADS being a one man spine would be more relevant.
A 4-4-1-1 especially with a player like Zico changes the picture a lot and takes a lot of creative burden off the CMs. I was talking about a proper 4-4-2 which has two strikers up front which makes it important to have a creative playmaker in the middle.

Of course a midfield of Rijkaard, Matthaus and Zico is pretty great all things considered but that wouldn't go into a 4-4-2.

Enigma_87

You know who
I understand where you are coming from. Very much in line with how I don't like seeing United PL XIs featuring that midfield with CR instead of Beckham. If you want CR it is Giggs you have to bench.

When we had Ince-Keane we had Cantona and we could only have Yorke-Cole with a Scholes.
I agree with this. Cantona was vital in our 4-4-2 and the catalyst of our success. On the other hand Juve after they sold Zidane and brought in Nedved they didn't have a playmaker in the middle - but often had Tacchinardi and Davids there - with Del Piero in the hole.

There's also Arsenal also had Bergkamp as a SS in their 4-4-2 and a wide playmaker in Pires, whilst not having a central one in Silva and Vieira.

I tend to think 4-4-1-1 is more like 4-2-3-1 rather than 4-4-2. When the wingers attack it shapes like a double pivot 4-2-3-1 and they move forward with one of the attackers moving inside the box and the other just outside it.

ADS impact in the middle of the pitch indeed will be limited and his role would be more of the free roaming complete forward who'd also hassle and press the opponents as Lothar and Rijkaard would provide the stage.

In a flat 4-4-2 Zico/AdS, Zico/Kalle, Kalle/AdS would work IMO but essentially would provide different things on the table. All three of them are very different individuals. More I think of it however if there isn't a wide playmaker Zico is a must in this set up as Di Stefano in advanced position was really not a playmaker but a complete forward. His playmaking skills and orchestrating the game were of use when he took the ball from deep and advanced with it or distributed it to open space. Di Stefano could do that as a SS or a #10 really, but with Zico in the roster he'll not be as good as him there.