5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

lex talionis

I’m happy enough with the draw today — top four is secure and Roma and Liverpool are far more important matches — but if we’re going to have Pogba on the bench it was a ludicrous decision by Ole to start James over Van de Beek.

It was no surprise that James was poor in the extreme today, and whatever one’s opinion on Donny is he surely deserved the start today of Pogba were to be rested.

Andersonson

What has James done recently to warrant 75 minutes?
Different positions.

We also have Cavani on the bench to rest him because of age. And Martial is injured.

Thats why James plays. If Martial was fit, he wouldnt start.

VdB is currently 4th choice. Its not weird that a 4th choice is only getting a few minutes

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Problem is Fernandes isn't exactly pulling the trees. Ole should have been subbed him in around 70th minute for Bruno

Shark

@NotShark
Different positions.

We also have Cavani on the bench to rest him because of age. And Martial is injured.

Thats why James plays. If Martial was fit, he wouldnt start.

VdB is currently 4th choice. Its not weird that a 4th choice is only getting a few minutes
Different positions but point still stands. You can't say VDB hasn't warranted more than 5 minutes when there's otyer players starting that have done less.

EdinburghDevil

He looks to make a lot of intelligent runs for me, looks good on the ball and always looking for the ball.

With the top 4 all but secured, he needs a run in the team to see what he could offer next season.

As the team evolves we need to stop playing every week with the defensive pairing of 2 out of Fred, McT and Matic and be a bit more adventurous which would see players like DvB get more minutes

Reactions: Cheimoon

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Fred
Scott
Pogba
I'm not disputing he's behind them, but those play in two different position, while VdB could also play in Bruno's position. So then he's behind four people (not sure about Matic) across three positions.

MadMike

I feel the fact he's not getting any minutes even at this stage of the season is complete mismanagement from Ole, but hey.

We're playing out a nil-nil game with Leeds and the double pivot with McT and Fred is clearly not working. VDB comes off the back of a couple of promising cameos and we know he can provide a bit more end product. What is more, one of McT or Fred will have to start against Roma midweek and likely play the full game, so it's good excuse to take one off early. Finally, the top 4 is basically in the bag and these games don't matter much.

Given the above, what rational reason is there to not give VDB 20-30 mins here? If not now, then when? It seems right down dumb not to do it.

I'm not particularly a fan of VDB he hasn't done enough to merit starts. But Ole's in-game management and reluctance to introduce subs in a timely manner (not specifically talking about VDB now) is majorly frustrating and probably the main reason why I still have doubts about him.

Fahad Jawaid

Why the feck can we not play Bruno left and VDB as a number 10 or wise versa. We do the same with Pogba and it seems to work, plus Bruno always drift towards the left anyway. Its criminal how little we have used him. We could do with a player in the front four which does not give the ball away at every opportunity. Today it seemed like a contest between James, Rashford, Bruno and Greenwood but i think James won it comfortably.

MadMike

How many of those appearances have been limited mins cameos where he hardly has a chance to make anything happen?
Basically to quote appearances over minutes for a player that everyone knows only gets only 5-10 minute cameos here and there, is either trolling or agenda posting. There's no two ways about it.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Appearances 32
Goals 1
Assists 2

Thoughts on these disgraceful stats for an attacking player @Pexbo?
Appearances :lol:

If you go by minutes played he's basically played 13 90 minutes of football this season, a goal contribution every 4.3 games, still not great, but no need to make it look worse.

Redlyn

If you go by minutes played he's basically played 13 90 minutes of football this season, a goal contribution every 4.3 games, still not great, but no need to make it look worse.
And how much rythym and momentum can a player build having his minutes distributed in 5-15 min chunks across the season? You can't take seriously anyone using his number of appearances to make a point.

Last edited:

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
And how much rythym and momentum can a player build having his minutes distributed in 5-15 min chunks across the season? You can't take seriously anyone using his number of appearances to make a point.
Exactly - extremely harsh metric to judge him by, he needs a loan next year unless Ole makes a massive u turn on him.

Matthew84!

I've not been impressed by him so far, seems to be a Mata type player, he's not quick which doesn't suit our style,
Personally I think he should seek a move away perhaps as part exchange for Sancho or whoever Ole wants.

Foxbatt

I think it's the Zaha syndrome. There are games when we may need two holding midfielders. But DVB is a better player than Fred or McTominay. Lots of games Ole could have played him with either Fred or McTominay.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

And you're counting his assist last week in added time without counting all the added minutes he has played. He plays 4 added minutes every week. There has also been games with 6-7 minutes and one with 10 minutes.

Added minutes are irrelevant for players who play the whole game because they've accumulated those minutes through various breaks in play. But if the argument is a player only gets late cameos then you've also got to count their added minutes.

So it's either 2 contributions in 13 games without added time. Or it's 3 contributions 13 games + hundreds of added minutes. Not good enough either way. No need to make it look better than it is.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
And you're counting his assist last week in added time without counting all the added minutes he has played. He plays 4 added minutes every week. There has also been games with 6-7 minutes and one with 10 minutes.

Added minutes are irrelevant for players who play the whole game because they've accumulated those minutes through various breaks in play. But if the argument is a player only gets late cameos then you've also got to count their added minutes.

So it's either 2 contributions in 13 games without added time. Or it's 3 contributions 13 games + hundreds of added minutes. Not good enough either way. No need to make it look better than it is.
Fine, let's average it out at 5 added minutes per appearance, works out to 15 games, so a goal contribution every 5 games? Again, not great, like I said originally, but how many players make a crazy impact playing 2 minutes (plus injury time) at the end of games?

Walters_19_MuFc

Be nice to see him come on with enough time to try and affect the game but I can see why Ole is sometimes reluctant to do so.

With Fred and McTominay, they give us that energy that none of our midfielders give us. Even late on against Leeds today, McTominay and Fred were making important interceptions and blocks that VdB may not have made.

Then you have Bruno, who, despite putting in below par performances at times, can still produce game winning moments.

Its a tough one. I would like to see him more but if I was manager, I'd also struggle to give him game time.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
There is no way he is Ole's signing.

All that nonsense about bedding him in has to stop. We've played a million games. He is experienced. He knows English.

Idxomer

Ole has mishandled his game time all season, there's no question about it.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

All that nonsense about bedding him in has to stop. We've played a million games. He is experienced. He knows English.
agreed. cant see anything changing next year to be honest, he just doesn’t trust him. Only injuries will get him a chance.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Don't really understand why isn't getting games. We aren't really fighting for the title and top4 is more or less guaranteed. He is resting Pogba for Europa but can't give this guy a run ? How else would he improve if you aren't giving him chances in league games atleast? Ole is so shit in giving minutes to players.

tomaldinho1

Jeez. Ole and the player confirmed Ole was the person who convinced him to make the move PLUS we know Ole has final say on players. Why can't people accept this? It's good management from Ole to have backup when Pogba is constantly eyeing up a move anyway.

-Supreme-

Jeez. Ole and the player confirmed Ole was the person who convinced him to make the move PLUS we know Ole has final say on players. Why can't people accept this? It's good management from Ole to have backup when Pogba is constantly eyeing up a move anyway.
But VdB is more of a Bruno backup than Pogba given how Ole has used him in the no.10 position this season.

Dve

Donny´s problem is that he does not fit into the current system. If we can hold on a decent DM before next season, I think we´ll see Donny getting a lot more game time playing as a nr. 8.

kidbob

I won't write him off just yet. The lad has shown for Ajax that he can play at the highest level. Hopefully this is just a long adjustment period and we'll see more from him next season.

tomaldinho1

But VdB is more of a Bruno backup than Pogba given how Ole has used him in the no.10 position this season.
he covers all cm/am roles. good cover signing, i'd like to see him get more games in the double pivot personally

-Supreme-

he covers all cm/am roles. good cover signing, i'd like to see him get more games in the double pivot personally
I think most people recognise that he can cover multiple positions but except for Ole, and this defeats your point re. he is Pogba’s cover when VdB hasn’t been used in any of the positions that Ole likes Pogba to operate in.

tomaldinho1

I think most people recognise that he can cover multiple positions but except for Ole, and this defeats your point re. he is Pogba’s cover when VdB hasn’t been used in any of the positions that Ole likes Pogba to operate in.
I’m working under the assumption Ole watched him at least a couple of times at Ajax - the fact Ole sold him the idea of being a 10 is weird (which is a big reason I think Ole wanted him for cover otherwise it makes me worry how Ole thinks he could fit in Bruno’s role) although in some of his cameos he has come on deeper and not as a 10. I get your point but I don’t think it’s true as he has had, albeit limited, game time in other positions.

United in sin

Donny´s problem is that he does not fit into the current system. If we can hold on a decent DM before next season, I think we´ll see Donny getting a lot more game time playing as a nr. 8.
VDB is tactically fluid, he can play several roles in midfield with relative ease. He's shown his versatility at Ajax and for the Dutch NT and it's a shame Solskjaer doesn't recognize it

Dve

VDB is tactically fluid, he can play several roles in midfield with relative ease. He's shown his versatility at Ajax and for the Dutch NT and it's a shame Solskjaer doesn't recognize it
He has been tried as a nr. 10 in a couple of games - which is suppose to be his preferred position - without much luck, it has to be said, mostly passing backwards instead of seeking to create anything. He is nowhere close to challenge Fernandes for that position, so I still think his best chance to break into the team is as a nr. 8.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.