5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brightonian

Man of the match for me, despite Bruno being Bruno as ever. Hardly put a foot wrong. Reminds me of Herrera when he was at his best - tigerish in defence, incredibly aware of the pitch around him, positive in his passing especially in transition.

NinjaFletch

Thought he wilted badly in the second half after an impressive first and there's plenty of warning signs about that two defensively, but feck me if it wasn't nice to have a midfielder player get the ball and look comfortable no matter how much pressure they're under.

KW2006

Still new to the league. When he is settled down he would be good enough to start for city/pool.

TsuWave

Isn't our midfield being Bruno, Fred and McT part of the reason we are in the league position we are, all the creativity down to Bruno where Donny would take some of the weight off his shoulders.
Exactly, which makes bringing up Pogba an even weirder exercise. The guy isn’t the one limiting or keeping vdB out of the team.

vdB is fast becoming one of my favourite players in this squad and I think we’d be better off with him partnering Fred like he did today instead of Mctominay, but people ran into this thread to speak about Pogba, which happens to be the one guy you can’t really point to and say he’s the reason vdB hasn’t been playing :lol:

HowYouDoin

Fred McT against big teams
VDB and Fred against small teams

Think VDB should start against Southampton. Their pressing is great and we struggled against it last time. They dominated us almost with their pressing. We need a capable passer in that game.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
I have one comment left so I'll give it to Donny. Happy for his game tonight, He was great when Fred and Bruno both had immense games next to him. My favourite midfield now consists them three.

Let's just relax here a bit though, it was a Turkish side and we really struggled for the 40 good minutes against them to keep the ball in midfield. I like Donny and I think he will be great for us but I don't expect him to be and others shouldn't either to be as dominant others think. He's a great balanced player, in interplay, on and off the ball movement, good inteligence, he will complement the team very well just don't expect too much from him.

I've seen some unrealistic expectations from him making him the new messiah almost. Let's see how he replicates that week in week out against much stronger teams in the EPL in much higher intensity games..

Falcow

Never loses possession, for that alone, he is my favourite player. Teammates could learn for something from him.

Should be one of first names on team sheet.

dal

I think he will get a lot stronger and better defensively.

Saying this though he does remind me a bit of Herrera without the aggression at the moment. I suppose there’s a lot of Van de beeks In football and there good to have at a cheap price.

There’s a reason Fred shouldn’t pass more than 15 yards and we saw that today. I’m sure Ole has instructed this into him als

I can’t believe I’m agreeing with Robbie savage but he’s 100 percent correct that we lack a CDM who can pass long. It would open up a lot more opportunities for us.

Carrick/Alonso type - Matic out
Haaland - Cavani out
Central Back

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Play him in midfield. Brilliant. He gets way more involved there compared to as a 10. Immaculate technique, great passing, works hard and good positioning. Not sure how him and Fred will do as a partnership in tougher games, but him as one of the 2 behind Bruno is excellent.

The United

I thought he was tidy but average in that position. His defensive play in first half was not good as well leaving Fred to do all the harassing job alone.

Obviously, he might get better at it when he gets to play more.

arthurka

Apart from Bruno the best player in the pitch. Damn I want to see more from him. Great watch tonight. Thought he might be Swiss made the way he kept things perfectly ticking.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I think he will get a lot stronger and better defensively.

Saying this though he does remind me a bit of Herrera without the aggression at the moment. I suppose there’s a lot of Van de beeks In football and there good to have at a cheap price.

There’s a reason Fred shouldn’t pass more than 15 yards and we saw that today. I’m sure Ole has instructed this into him als

I can’t believe I’m agreeing with Robbie savage but he’s 100 percent correct that we lack a CDM who can pass long. It would open up a lot more opportunities for us.

Carrick/Alonso type - Matic out
Haaland - Cavani out
Central Back
This is spot on, both bits. He presses well but never tackles. I wonder if he's playing it safe or he doesn't feel comfortable with physical aspect.

Defensive side of his game is a little worrying.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Man of the match for me, despite Bruno being Bruno as ever. Hardly put a foot wrong. Reminds me of Herrera when he was at his best - tigerish in defence, incredibly aware of the pitch around him, positive in his passing especially in transition.
Me too, it was just a very good midfield performance. The opposition weren't great so he had time and space but he was producing a level of interplay seldom seen at United post-Fergie (no exaggeration sadly), regardless of the 22 players on the field. I'd love to see him again in this role in some of the tougher games we have coming up.

The United

This is spot on, both bits. He presses well but never tackles. I wonder if he's playing it safe or he doesn't feel comfortable with physical aspect.

It is no wonder he has not started in EPL yet. We will be wide open at the back with him in that kind of position. I am a bit surprised with people praising too much. But, I might be a bit harsh on him.

I do hope that he gets better but I think he is best used up front.

youngrell

Great performance from him, far better positionally tonight and plenty of his trademark one touch play.

His awareness and first touch is top class, he always takes it in the right direction away from the opponent no matter how little time he has to think, which gives him acres of space instantly and he then uses the ball quickly too. Speeds up our attack no end.

Sadly, not sure if the Fred partnership is strong enough defensively or if it was just a bad night for the Brazilian. Either way, out of the two it should be Fred who we look to improve on.

sillwuka

He manages to direct or pass the ball to his teammate even from very difficult positions.

I feel Donny could be a very key component in our team. Never being the most spectacular but more of an enabler who allows us to play better whilst contributing with goals assists.

HowYouDoin

I think he was playing it too safe even with his passing at times, he just didnt wanna commit any errors but guess it makes sense, he didnt play a lot so he doesnt wanna make mistakes.

Herrera is a good comparison to him, he should look to model his game a lot after Hererra, especially defensive intensity.

redshaw

I like him in the side with his one touch passing and forward looking balls. He played very well tonight and hope he gets more games.

He did the same thing for 10 mins as a late sub against Newcastle and we had a late flurry of goals. he just gets things moving in the right direction while otherwise we'd be passing it back and sideways.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I thought he was tidy but average in that position. His defensive play in first half was not good as well leaving Fred to do all the harassing job alone.

Obviously, he might get better at it when he gets to play more.
He offered quick one touch passing transition and link up to keep the ball moving quickly.

You might view it differently or you might view it as simple passes, but it was something we won’t see with Matic and Scott and I thought it was important part of play. Good pair with Fred since Fred also likes to move the ball quickly.

But I was bit disappointed with his defending for one moment in first half when he was ball watching and there was one guy free in front of him, other than that, his defensive play was good in my opinion.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Thought he wilted badly in the second half after an impressive first and there's plenty of warning signs about that two defensively, but feck me if it wasn't nice to have a midfielder player get the ball and look comfortable no matter how much pressure they're under.
Agreed. Though I would say he suffered with the whole team having 3 strikers up front (albeit Mason on the right) and a winger on the left who keeps running into traffic. The shape wasn't right and it was asking too much of VDB and Fred to handle that all by themselves when Istanbul got a bit of belief.

He's a very technically sound player, reads the game well and forward-thinking. I've been impressed with all three of the new boys to be honest.

The United

He offered quick one touch passing transition and link up to keep the ball moving quickly.

You might view it differently or you might view it as simple passes, but it was something we won’t see with Matic and Scott and I thought it was important part of play. Good pair with Fred since Fred also likes to move the ball quickly.

But I was bit disappointed with his defending for one moment in first half when he was ball watching and there was one guy free in front of him, other than that, his defensive play was good in my opinion.
It is not that I view it differently. He just reminded me of Mata under LVG. Tidy with back and side passing which I have no problem with where he played tonight.

But, his defending for that position was not good. And, I would argue that he should be played up front because of it.

GledTheRed

He's very good on the ball. This was the first time we've seen his impact on the team.
That said, he needs more protection. We should switch to back 3 with McTominay for a try.
Exactly my thoughts he plays that role for Scotland and can obviously step in to midfield when required.

Dve

He contribute to the tempo in the play, and I like that. Otherwise he kept things simple, but tidy. I think he suits the deeper role in the midfield. But to me, we have 5 players competing for a place in the midfield, and it can be made cases for all of them to start.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
Bye bye Pogba
Yep, you wont get the same highs as you would with Pogba, but you also won't get the lows. United are not at the level yet talent-wise where it can pick up the slack for someone as incosistnet as Pogba. DVB is the answer.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Hopefully tonight has provided the answer to those wondering why we bought him.

He’s going to be a top player for us. We can use him as he’s been used tonight as a partner for Bruno and Fred \ McT but also we’ve seen enough to know that he will also be good cover for when Bruno needs resting. Good player this kid.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Still think he's just a carbon copy of Muller? Or do you see my point that at 23, he possesses the skillsets to be moulded as more than just an advanced forward midfielder.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Class player. Reminds me of Scholes, one two touch mostly forwards. It the best defensively. We need the manager to coach a coordinated press and tactics that enable us to not have to play both Fred and McT

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
The perfect player for LVG or Pep. He won't get the numbers of Bruno but we you won't see Brunos wastefulness in him. Quite a different option to have but need the right manager to excel. He is definitely not a DM. They were cutting us wide open through centre.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
His one touch play/passing is a joy. Just always seems to play the right pass.

Genuinely hope Ole gives him the opportunities that he deserves now.

Status
Not open for further replies.