5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcking

People will soon accept he's not good enough full stop. No matter the position.

You've realised he's a poor #10 and, in due time, will realise he's a poor central midfielder, too. As I said when we unfortunately got linked with him in the first place, he'd be a idiotic signing, and he has been.
He was signed because of his part in Ajax's UCL run to the Semis last time, and this is their average positions that season:

People are saying that he is not an attacking midfielder simply because he's played in attacking midfield and hasn't been very good. It happens with every new member of the team that doesn't perform.

He was one of the least influential in that Ajax team, and predictably he is the one we signed. He is going to play in central midfield as well and won't perform, and he will be an attacking midfielder again.

It's going to be groundhog day until everyone realize that he's no good, and he will be deadwood. It happened with James, Pereira, Brandon Williams as well. I don't need more than a couple of games to see a nothing player. Doesn't seem the same for many.

Strelok

Was so pissed off when he didn't even try the pass, any player who plays for ManUtd or any other big club should at least attempt these passes. All the one touch flicks are good in the final third but in the positions like these, players should really go for the killer pass.
Same here.

He's lucky he's playing in the PL. If he's playing in my country the police would have started a match fixing case already.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
No wonder LVG likes this guy when he misses obvious passes like that and chooses to go backwards.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
I'm certain 4 weeks ago that the majority were clambering for him to play ahead of any of our starting XI, as if we were leaving Messi out to dry on the bench.

My feeling is that he's a good footballer who is going to either:

a.) Need time adjusting to a style of play that is as about far removed from Ajax as it gets.
b.) Will not fit into our team and move back to Ajax in 2023 after a frustrating few years.

Getting Donny almost mirrors the signings of Berbatov, Kagawa and Mata in that they're players brought in specifically to spearhead a shift in approach. It's fair to say the 'United way' trumped all of those players and ultimately they didn't perform as well as their potential.

RashyForPM

The overreacting here and writing him off is an absolute disgrace. Some of you are really wet wipes. He’s a box to box midfielder who isn’t playing much because he’s settling into a new league, and when he is, isn’t being used properly. He’s made one mistake, which is not playing that pass to Rashford. ‘Nothing player’ :rolleyes: Some of you really don’t know anything about football. Go watch some Ajax games.

Last edited:

Real Name

So he had a poor cameo and suddenly he's not good enough and will be a deadwood soon, is a waste of money, an idiotic signing.....

Christ almighty.

TheReligion

Abusive
The overreacting here and writing him off is an absolute disgrace. Some of you are really wet wipe idiots. He’s a box to box midfielder who isn’t playing much because he’s settling into a new league, and when he is, isn’t being used properly. He’s made one mistake, which is not playing that pass to Rashford. ‘Nothing player’ :rolleyes: Some of you really don’t know anything about football. Go watch some Ajax games.
Well said mate

Can7onA

The overreacting here and writing him off is an absolute disgrace. Some of you are really wet wipe idiots. He’s a box to box midfielder who isn’t playing much because he’s settling into a new league, and when he is, isn’t being used properly. He’s made one mistake, which is not playing that pass to Rashford. ‘Nothing player’ :rolleyes: Some of you really don’t know anything about football. Go watch some Ajax games.
Man speaketh da troot.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Calm down.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Want to see him playing deeper with Fred, keen to see how that would go.

TsuWave

Bad cameo. Should have put Rashford through.

Not going to write him off on the basis of yesterday though.

Gasolin

Me neither.

It's not about a #8 or a #10 or whatever, it's his decision making. I was of the opinion that he is a smart player. But could anyone possibly explain why he didn't pass to that HUGE space and pass the ball back instead?

He came on and we couldn't attack nor counter attack. As a result Sheffield was able to pill the pressure on us. We were pretty lucky to come out with a win, for Henderson's brilliant save. He almost cost us 2 pts.
He needs to play a bit more with the team I guess. I think he is a smart player, but he didn't see Rashford. Because he didn't expect it. Bruno, Martial, Pogba, Fred, Scott all expect Rashford to do that and look for it, he wasn't yet used to it. But he will.

CaptainBirdseye

I fear for him a little, because I feel like he's always one bad United run away from 'but what does VdB actually do" the instant we get some dodgy results.
I do like him, but very little in the way of big Hollywood passes, or massive tackles, just a lot of nice neat moments in the games he's played so far. Hope he carries on the way he's started
I see we're onto the 'what does he actually do' phase of the first season.

Joking aside, I hope/think he'll grow into the United shirt a bit more as the season goes on. Fred looked useless for a good while at the start of his career here, completely different looking player now.

Sylar

Want to see what he's like after he plays in one position and has a run of games

I mean weve seen a few players written off by fans on here from cameos and sub appearances here and there before there's a turn around on opinion

Right now he's added depth which we needed, which allows subs to be made and players to be kept fresher

As for that pass, at the time I thought he didn't see it, having seen a replay he really should be attempting to make the pass. I could understand if we were going into the last minute, and were only leading by 1 and we wanted to see the game out. However at the time, we had a 2 goal cushion and given the space there was more likely a chance he would get the ball through vs not being able to

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I’m not angry mate. Just speaking in that tone to let people know that writing him off after 13 PL games is absolutely ridiculous.
People are just expressing their doubts. No one is categorically writing him off.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I think you have warned us about him before. Hopefully, you will be wrong about that for United's sake.
He's not a bad player, but just not someone who carries a team or is important in the general play of the team. Ajax had some hugely creative players in Ziyech, Neres and Tadic (who transcended hinself that season) vd Beek was the little cog in between to quickly pass it on to one of them and make a run to create space and score goals. He is not someone to play a key pass, hold on to the ball or anything related to that. He quickly passes the ball to someone with the same shirt and makes a run to create space for someone who can do something creative, that's all. And frankly, that's not a very special talent.

Take my thoughts on Ajax players with a grain of salt though, it's a bit like asking a United fan to rate Jordan Henderson.

Berbasbullet

He's not a bad player, but just not someone who carries a team or is important in the general play of the team. Ajax had some hugely creative players in Ziyech, Neres and Tadic (who transcended hinself that season) vd Beek was the little cog in between to quickly pass it on to one of them and make a run to create space and score goals. He is not someone to play a key pass, hold on to the ball or anything related to that. He quickly passes the ball to someone with the same shirt and makes a run to create space for someone who can do something creative, that's all. And frankly, that's not a very special talent.

Take my thoughts on Ajax players with a grain of salt though, it's a bit like asking a United fan to rate Jordan Henderson.
I think what you mentioned about quick passing and moving is exactly why he missed the Rashford pass, his instinct was to keep the ball moving and then make a run and it made him miss the run.

Not to say he can’t pick out a pass, there was a game recently where he was spraying it around brilliantly.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
It's hardly a surprise that he found it difficult to catch up to the pace of the game when he was thrown into it so late into the game.

He's playing in a new league and it's faster and more physically demanding than what he's used to.

Not a fan of how Ole has been handling VDB's situation, short cameos aren't going to help him much in getting used to the league when he pretty much has no time to get up to speed before the game is over.

He's a player whose best trait is to keep possession and our team is just bad at it.

RashyForPM

People are just expressing their doubts. No one is categorically writing him off.
‘Nothing player’ and ‘a few frustrating years until 2023 before he is sold back to Ajax’ definitely qualifies as writing him off. That was why I was frustrated myself, because even with truly nothing players, unfortunately like Andreas, I gave him until January 2020 before getting annoyed when seeing his name in the starting XI. Half a season. This is 13 PL games.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
What makes you say that?
Because Sheffield were in the ascendancy and pressing high while utilizing their physical attributes effectively.
First thing Wilder would've done is primarily focus on Beek's freshness in the game and pin-point him as a weak link. McGoldrick and Flek were having a field day against Matic and they would've continued that against Beek, who continues to look lost for us at the present.

Playing Beek high made complete sense. You dont want him deep in the danger situations if you haven't got the ball. Too easily got at.

rooney2009

I’ve said it from day 1
I can’t see what he does apart form his 1-2’s
He can’t carry or run with ball and He is quite a step down from Pogba or Bruno even Lingard or Perrera or even Mata are better options atm
I hope he settles down and proves us wrong maybe next season but atm I ain’t impressed at all

Berbasbullet

Because Sheffield were in the ascendancy and pressing high while utilizing their physical attributes effectively.
First thing Wilder would've done is primarily focus on Beek's freshness in the game and pin-point him as a weak link. McGoldrick and Flek were having a field day against Matic and they would've continued that against Beek, who continues to look lost for us at the present.

Playing Beek high made complete sense. You dont want him deep in the danger situations if you haven't got the ball. Too easily got at.
Oh I mean I want to see him start deeper, maybe not as a sub.

I take your point but VDB is pretty good against the press from what I’ve seen, for example the home game against Leipzig I remember his retention being very good.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Maybe now you guys have the answer why he's not starting. I am still a fan and think he will have a slighlty better impact than Daley Blind but he's got a mountain to climb to be moulded into a decent no8/6. That moment when he could play Rashford through only to massively feck up was a proper Andreas Pereira moment.

On one hand you think he should be eager to impress in his limited gametime on the pitch on the other he´s not playing consistently and is still new to the league. Let´s just give him a breather and hope he can kick on and be half decent for us.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
He would have to adapt to our way of playing. We're a very wide team. Playing short intricate passes' at the moment isn't going to cut it if he's played deeper. This is where Pogba, for all of his faults, is far more capable in playing that role.

The PL is a physically demanding league and its going to take Beek sometime in adapting here. For one, I expect him to gain a few more pounds in the next few months. Needs to get more muscle in his legs for a start. Looks a very slight player, especially compared to the Sheffield United central players last night.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

And to be honest this is why I dont see him playing as a replacement for Bruno Fernandes and rather needs to play WITH Bruno Fernandes.

He has looked better whenever we had our most creative players like Mata, Bruno, Pogba in the same team as VDB which can utelise that creativity himself with his own movement; make those intricate runs we saw for ajax and finish chances behind defenders back.

Either Ole knows that or doesnt.

When Ole was asked why he bought VDB he did say it was for the Goals from Midfield and not exactly something like creativity- so maybe just maybe Ole knows what he is doing with VDB.

Last edited:

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Oh I mean I want to see him start deeper, maybe not as a sub.

I take your point but VDB is pretty good against the press from what I’ve seen, for example the home game against Leipzig I remember his retention being very good.
His retention being good doesn't mean much when the rest of the team isn't very good at it.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Also, Beek was very capable of adapting to various roles for Ajax. Ajax are predominately known for 'total football'. Beek would've played various roles through his time in Holland, for the youth teams and first team. Its what Ajax expect of you.

Simple fact is, its day and night if you're comparing the quality of the Eredivisie and the PL.

Also, not many players outside from the Eredivisie have been a absolute success in recent times.
De Ligt is arguably the only one who's been consistently very good. De Jong has been so-so at Barca. That Mexican winger who played for PSV has completely gone off the radar.
And if we go a few seasons back and look at the hype on Classie, where's he now ?
The only one who springs to mind, who has been a success, would be Eriksen and even he took at while to get accustomed to the PL.

Edit: Also Depay. Absolute disaster for us.

Strelok

He needs to play a bit more with the team I guess. I think he is a smart player, but he didn't see Rashford. Because he didn't expect it. Bruno, Martial, Pogba, Fred, Scott all expect Rashford to do that and look for it, he wasn't yet used to it. But he will.
He did saw Rashford running forward, who was in the field of his direct vision. Then hesitated for half a second. Then ... passed back to Mata. That's why I was so pissed off. Rashford probably was even more than me.

Last edited:

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
To be fair Fred couldn't.
Exactly and neither can Shaw. Both take a few games to find their rhythm. How is Donnie supposed to do that when he's nothing more than a fringe player? Ole seems to have his trust issues with players and if you're on the wrong side of that you don't get much of a look in. Happened with Fred and Matic last season until Ole had no choice but to play them due to injuries.

Last edited:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Also, Beek was very capable of adapting to various roles for Ajax. Ajax are predominately known for 'total football'. Beek would've played various roles through his time in Holland, for the youth teams and first team. Its what Ajax expect of you.

Simple fact is, its day and night if you're comparing the quality of the Eredivisie and the PL.

Also, not many players outside from the Eredivisie have been a absolute success in recent times.
De Ligt is arguably the only one who's been consistently very good. De Jong has been so-so at Barca. That Mexican winger who played for PSV has completely gone off the radar.
And if we go a few seasons back and look at the hype on Classie, where's he now ?
The only one who springs to mind, who has been a success, would be Eriksen and even he took at while to get accustomed to the PL.

Edit: Also Depay. Absolute disaster for us.
Clasie :lol:

Surely no one thought he was going to be a star..

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Clasie :lol:

Surely no one thought he was going to be a star..
Trust me, United fans wanted him after the WC. Thought he would add some steal to the side.

What fans see from their home nation players and how other fans abroad see them is always interesting to me.

Yagami

Good post resistant
He was signed because of his part in Ajax's UCL run to the Semis last time, and this is their average positions that season:

People are saying that he is not an attacking midfielder simply because he's played in attacking midfield and hasn't been very good. It happens with every new member of the team that doesn't perform.

He was one of the least influential in that Ajax team, and predictably he is the one we signed. He is going to play in central midfield as well and won't perform, and he will be an attacking midfielder again.

It's going to be groundhog day until everyone realize that he's no good, and he will be deadwood. It happened with James, Pereira, Brandon Williams as well. I don't need more than a couple of games to see a nothing player. Doesn't seem the same for many.
Exactly .
I’m not angry mate. Just speaking in that tone to let people know that writing him off after 13 PL games is absolutely ridiculous.
Nope. It's based off the last few years.

Strelok

Exactly and neither can Shaw. Both take a few games to find their rhythm. How is Donnie supposed to do that when he's nothing more than a fringe player? Ole seems to have his trust issues with players and if you're on the wrong side of that you don't get much of a look in. Happened with Fred and Matic last season until Ole had no choice but to play them due to injuries.
I don't think it's right to write him off already. But imo it's not right either to ask for more minutes for him. Based on his recent performances he simply doesn't deserve it.

We've been complaining to death here about how our standards have been dropped. Rashford must be super pissed off about that situation. He was going to have a chance, a very good chance to bury the match and a hattrick for himself.

A player must earn his minutes, only so his teammates wouldn't feel unfair and our standards wouldn't be dropped. So, unless there's a big injury crisis, which I hope would never happen, imo Ole should never start him again in the PL. At least in the near future. Same with Fred, he had to wait for his chance then grabbed it with both hands.

Last edited:

Robindinho

I don’t want to write him off and I think he’s a good player but why did we sign him? Looking like another pointless signing.

It’s clear that Ole doesn’t see him as a centre midfielder - which is the only position where he would get regular game time, (he’s not getting in ahead of Bruno). For what it’s worth, I think he’d be good there in a midfield two with Fred and would be nice to see it given a run of games but looks unlikely to happen.

So £40m for someone to play cup games, the last 10 minutes of games here and there and the odd occasions when we rest Bruno... Should have just put it to Grealish/Sancho.

Mcking

He is cowardly. He had all the time in the world to look around and spot Rashford. He was just desperate to find someone to give the ball to. If he actually spotted Rashford and didn't attempt that pass, then I wonder what he is doing in the Premier League.

Status
Not open for further replies.