Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
We shouldn’t be too quick to judge. Give him a year to get settled in.
Agreed. I'm not convinced he's ready to be a starter, but he's come directly from the Dutch league. Very few hit the ground running with a jump that big.

RedIan

Bruno and Pogba were far better than DVB, he looked lost tonight. Impressed in early games it maybe his confidence is shot Being used as a bit part player.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Played well when the team did first 30 then drifted as the team did.

Typical Knee jerk rubbish - shocker.

Andersons Dietician

If you’d never seen Donny before and have only seen him at United honestly wouldn’t know much about his footballing ability. Everything he does is basically, flick, flick, step over, flick, step over, flick, back heal, back heal, step over, back heal, flick, step over and just keep repeating.

Would like to see him actually get his foot on the ball and try to play. Bruno already fills our quota on flicks to no one.

Ash_G

If you’d never seen Donny before and have only seen him at United honestly wouldn’t know much about his footballing ability. Everything he does is basically, flick, flick, step over, flick, step over, flick, back heal, back heal, step over, back heal, flick, step over and just keep repeating.

Would like to see him actually get his foot on the ball and try to play. Bruno already fills our quota on flicks to no one.
I think there is some truth to this although he does have good movement as well I'd say. I think currently he feels like he's a player that if we're on top then he will shine and help us stay on top and make the most of it, where it's more scrappy though and we're not dominating then I don't think he's currently someone who's going to change the game or make something happen. I think he's got the talent though and is still bedding him. Not every player needs to be like a Bruno and actually I think if we wanted to control a game Donny can definitely be an asset with that, similar to Mata.

Definitely still happy to have him but would like to see him try and make things happen as well and think he'll need to do that to really stake a claim for to be in the starting eleven.

LJJT

Played ok but he will never replace any of our centre mids he’s too weak defensively. He did ok in his attacking role today though.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
The thing is, he’s technically very competent. That alone means you’re happy to have him over donkeys like Lingard and Pereria even if he isn’t influencing games that much. I definitely see the potential there.

sillwuka

He's a real team player. Makes others around him shine - in the meantime it may seem he's not doing much at all.

I'm still not convinced, I wish he would assert himself more on the game and as strange as it sounds keep the ball for a bit longer to manipulate it.

Eddy_JukeZ

He's just not the type of midfielder we needed IMO.

We needed a ball carrier and someone press resistant.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I do think he is struggling a bit physically and with the tempo. He has quick feet and a quick mind and has the potential to be incredibly neat but sometimes he just seems too weak and slow at the moment to really be influential.

Number32

You all forget he is still 23 and could plays for U23. I don't think he is a finish product, and still better than Lingard and Perreira.

lex talionis

I’ve got no complaints at all with Donny. He’s not here to replace Bruno. Until Pogba is gone he’s not replacing Pogba. He’s not here to replace Matic. And he’s not an alternative to Fred or Scott. He can cover for either Bruno or Pogba, both of whom are nailed on regular starters when fit and in form. And if/when Pogba leaves, Donny gives us an option we don’t really have in McFred, although Scotty’s recent performance has me wondering whether we have a special player for in the making.

criticalanalysis

He was playing out of position in a bizarre left wing/left center midfield position.
Also known as Mezzala.
I like him, but I dont get what he’s supposed to bring to the table
Perhaps it's tactics and instructions from Ole but he was playing far too high and close to Everton's defence imo. I much prefer him inbetween the lines and facing the goal i.e where he has more opportunity to actually be in positions to receive the ball more.

It's the 4-2-3-1 thing under Ole. We seem to treat 'attacking midfielders/no.10s' with this weird 'ok you'll play high up in the pitch, vacate the centre of the midfield and just be creative in the opponents half'. I fecking hate this approach of ours.

I'd much rather pin other teams in their half with our ball playing players behind the ball than just hoping creativity will come from our two base midfielders outplaying the opposition.

Web of Bissaka

Perhaps it's tactics and instructions from Ole but he was playing far too high and close to Everton's defence imo. I much prefer him inbetween the lines and facing the goal i.e where he has more opportunity to actually be in positions to receive the ball more.

It's the 4-2-3-1 thing under Ole. We seem to treat 'attacking midfielders/no.10s' with this weird 'ok you'll play high up in the pitch, vacate the centre of the midfield and just be creative in the opponents half'. I fecking hate this approach of ours.

I'd much rather pin other teams in their half with our ball playing players behind the ball than just hoping creativity will come from our two base midfielders outplaying the opposition.
It is.
Ole is even heard shouting to him to "keep on making those runs behind the defense lines", VDB followed it to the tee.

I don't think that's his best ability, he's not that fast compare to our other pacy wingers, easily handled by defenders but definitely have intelligent movements. Same, I much prefer if he play around their defense lines and midfield, but then Pogba and Bruno are already occupying that spaces, so maybe that's why. I honestly think it's best if we switch his roles with Pogba in this game. We know Pogba is fast and much more suited closer to the goal post while VDB is better further away. No idea why that's not the decision... kidding, it's likely because Ole want Pogba to be the holding midfielder and he have greater ability in long pass and holding the ball than VDB, while Matic is playing LB roles during build-up transition.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Every Ajax coach watching him play must have cringed when they heard Ole 'get in behind Donny!' as he's playing left wing.

All those years teaching him the perfect first touch and the perfect pass and move in central midfield, he finds him self shafted down the wing 'running in behind'

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He can’t even nail the regular spot in national team since 2018, it’s always Wijnaldum, De Jong and Marten de Roon under Koeman. Koeman left, he is still not nailed on but just rotation with Klaassen. If he can’t even nail the spot in national team, what makes people think he can at United? Overhyping player too much and looking for excuses.

VDB was signed for utility, his versatility, backup & if he somehow able to step up, he might end up be a regular but that takes time. So stop moaning about his game time, he’s getting enough minutes for the reason why we signed him. Did people really think he was signed to be obvious regular? 35m pounds is the right price, that’s cheaper than how much Liverpool paid on Jota as Salah & Mane backup.

United & Ajax play different style and philosophy. I think joining United will be part of learning process from Donny to learn new things that he doesn’t learn at Ajax. He doesn’t play direct enough and take more risk to play forward passes, at United you will be demand to play like that which is why I said this could be learning process for him to make him even more complete midfielder, might work or might not work and time will only tell if he can do it.

Ajax Forever

Supports
Ajax
Why play him on the Left Wing? That makes no sense. He is not a winger at all.

At Ajax he contributed a lot by playing in the middle and creating space by turning away from his opponent, making quick one-touch passes and always a threat on goal by scoring here and there.

On the left wing Donny is truly wasted. What a shame to see Ole's use of him :(

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Why play him on the Left Wing? That makes no sense. He is not a winger at all.

At Ajax he contributed a lot by playing in the middle and creating space by turning away from his opponent, making quick one-touch passes and always a threat on goal by scoring here and there.

On the left wing Donny is truly wasted. What a shame to see Ole's use of him :(
It's a bit weird init? Calling him like Thomas Muller type player and then play him on the left wing isnt it?

I dont think he is Ole's player tbf and I cant have a go at Ole for doing job with the other players and then struggling with VDB whilst I cant also blame VDB who is a total system player that has a system that doesnt suit him.

Watching him play as a LAM yesterday and LCM next to Fred couple weeks ago maybe indicates that we tried for Grealish but Woodward went for VDB due to price.

Matt851

He can’t even nail the regular spot in national team since 2018, it’s always Wijnaldum, De Jong and Marten de Roon under Koeman. Koeman left, he is still not nailed on but just rotation with Klaassen. If he can’t even nail the spot in national team, what makes people think he can at United? Overhyping player too much and looking for excuses.

VDB was signed for utility, his versatility, backup & if he somehow able to step up, he might end up be a regular but that takes time. So stop moaning about his game time, he’s getting enough minutes for the reason why we signed him. Did people really think he was signed to be obvious regular? 35m pounds is the right price, that’s cheaper than how much Liverpool paid on Jota as Salah & Mane backup.

United & Ajax play different style and philosophy. I think joining United will be part of learning process from Donny to learn new things that he doesn’t learn at Ajax. He doesn’t play direct enough and take more risk to play forward passes, at United you will be demand to play like that which is why I said this could be learning process for him to make him even more complete midfielder, might work or might not work and time will only tell if he can do it.
Strange post

£35m is still a pretty significant fee which should be able to get us a player who can improve the first team or at least allow us to rotate first team players without a drop in quality

You would like to think it hasnt just been gambled on a player that may or may not have the characteristics to fit in at united, as you describe

Clearly he needs more time but the usage of him so far doesnt seem to be giving him the best platform. I dont see how his abilities are suited to playing in the left, ir even as an attacking midfielder. He seems more suited to a deeper role with pogba better suited to playing further forward

The comparison with the cost of jota isnt flattering given his instant impact and the fact he appears to have the ability to take over from one of salah or mane ince they leave

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It’s a complete waste playing him on the wing. While he has good stamina he has zero speed.

it’s like they don’t trust him to play his proper positions so they’ve just said “rashford needs a rest so will throw you on the wing, just try your best”

he should have been playing CAM with James on the wing, but he can’t bare it rest Fernandes.

I feel bad for DVB as he’s clearly got more than he’s allowed to show at the moment, but it seems like we’ve signed him for no reason. Should have just saved the money and got grealish instead.

I hope he gets a proper chance in the side though as he’s such a good footballer, just needs runners around him.

Matt851

It’s a complete waste playing him on the wing. While he has good stamina he has zero speed.

it’s like they don’t trust him to play his proper positions so they’ve just said “rashford needs a rest so will throw you on the wing, just try your best”

he should have been playing CAM with James on the wing, but he can’t bare it rest Fernandes.

I feel bad for DVB as he’s clearly got more than he’s allowed to show at the moment, but it seems like we’ve signed him for no reason. Should have just saved the money and got grealish instead.

I hope he gets a proper chance in the side though as he’s such a good footballer, just needs runners around him.
Would have been good if we rested bruno last night and tried a 433 with dvb and pogba either side of matic or pogba in the bruno role and dvb deeper

We need to find a way of playing without bruno occassionally and i dont think that should involve just dropping dvb into brunos role

Gerald G

He played alright but he needs to be less passive. He's clearly a very intelligent player and his ball retention is second to none, but sometimes when he should shoot, he elects to pass or play a dummy. Or sometimes he can attempt a killer pass but instead decides to keep possession and play it safe.

However, there's evidently a very good player there. Just some tweaks that I think could take him to the next level.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Strange post

£35m is still a pretty significant fee which should be able to get us a player who can improve the first team or at least allow us to rotate first team players without a drop in quality

You would like to think it hasnt just been gambled on a player that may or may not have the characteristics to fit in at united, as you describe

Clearly he needs more time but the usage of him so far doesnt seem to be giving him the best platform. I dont see how his abilities are suited to playing in the left, ir even as an attacking midfielder. He seems more suited to a deeper role with pogba better suited to playing further forward

The comparison with the cost of jota isnt flattering given his instant impact and the fact he appears to have the ability to take over from one of salah or mane ince they leave
£35m is what you got for quality squad depth player. Anything less than that you will expect Iwobi level of player or gamble on unproven, someone that you don't have faith in.

The issue is that the ones that have the characteristics to fit United is unavailable or overpriced. Donny is actually very suitable for utility player in here as he offers something different & versatility. He's basically upgrade of Pereira & Lingard.

Again, Jota & VDB case are similar in term of both were signed to be backup of the XI players & if both somehow able to step up, both might end up playing more regular time. It's just Jota steps up while VDB hasn't or might need more time to adapt.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Would have been good if we rested bruno last night and tried a 433 with dvb and pogba either side of matic or pogba in the bruno role and dvb deeper

We need to find a way of playing without bruno occassionally and i dont think that should involve just dropping dvb into brunos role
Agreed.

it’s not really helping the team keep playing Bruno at every opportunity as they’ll just become dependent on him, similar to how we couldn’t function without pogba at the start.

we’ve not tried the 433 yet which is where DVB made his name at Ajax, we’ve got the players for it?! It’s frustrating. Maybe once pellestri/diallo get into the team we can have more balance.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

This is one issue I have with Ole - why dont we ever play the 433?

Is it a lack of a younger energetic CDM than Matic that can do the job on his own so we can one day play 2 CM/CAM's on either side in a 433?

Or is he always going to play 2 CM'S in a double pivot in a 4231?

Whilst it is successful, I would be a bit disappointed that he isnt trying it out for someone who is generally successful and flexible with his tactics - to be able to play the 352, 4231, 4222 and 433 would be insanely impressive and complete.

We have a false 9 in Martial, inverted forwards like Rashford & Greenwood, CAM/CM'S like VDB, Pogba and Bruno - the only thing we lack is a CDM and maybe a Telles like rotation to Wan Bissaka to get the best out of some other systems and other players we have in our squad.

EdinburghDevil

I think he was brought in for the next season and beyond. He's got good quality on the ball, seems versatile, although more suited centrally that out wide.

I'd imagine Pogba will leave in the summer, likely Mata's last season too. The squad looks better with VdB in it as opposed to Andreas and Lingard.

Get him up to speed this season, allow him time to adapt and hopefully we will see what he is capable of next season.

We have given the Club enough stick on here for lack of forward planning. This looks like a good move for the medium to long term when he will get more chances to play in the middle of the park.

laughtersassassin

His signing isn't making much sense as it is tbh.

Maybe it will when Pogba leaves but he isn't good enough bro replace him so I doubt it.

Money would have been better spent on Grealish.

Not great that our biggest signing last summer isn't getting near the first 11. We really need to use the transfer windows better.

Still time of course but it's hard when he plays in Bruno's spot.

laughtersassassin

I think he was brought in for the next season and beyond. He's got good quality on the ball, seems versatile, although more suited centrally that out wide.

I'd imagine Pogba will leave in the summer, likely Mata's last season too. The squad looks better with VdB in it as opposed to Andreas and Lingard.

Get him up to speed this season, allow him time to adapt and hopefully we will see what he is capable of next season.

We have given the Club enough stick on here for lack of forward planning. This looks like a good move for the medium to long term when he will get more chances to play in the middle of the park.
Most likely true but we will need to replace Pogba with a midfield of top drawer passing ability as none of our current lot posses it other than Pogba.

Van De Beek cannot replace him.

Status
Not open for further replies.