Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Knocking on the managers door after the performance of his competition today.
I think he is a great short and medium length passes into feet and moving.

Why on earth did we buy him? He's not getting any look in and he cost £40m.

Seems like we panic bought and grabbed some another team didn't.

Superunknown

Perfect player to bring on for a struggling Bruno against a high press Liverpool side playing a high line consisting of makeshift defenders. Nope. Zero minutes. Again. He really is wasted here and should move on for his own career.
I thought the same. The conditions were perfect for him to come on and add something that we were lacking or missing. At one point, I swear the commentators said he was getting ready to come on, but then never did.

Tired of this situation. If he's not going to play, then just put a youth player or someone else on the bench who is likely to get a game.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I'd give him a chance against Fulham in Fernandes' position.

Fernandes could do with a bit of a break and VDB needs to prove that he shouldn't just be left to warm the bench.

Yagami

Good post resistant
As poor as Bruno was and as limited as McTominay is, they're still better than Donny.

Ole knows this, too, so hopefully we don't start him against Fulham as we need to win.

Knocking on the managers door after the performance of his competition today.
Based on his performances so far, he would have been nowhere near the pace of that game today. He needs to start showing more in the performances against cannon fodder before we chuck him in against a team like Liverpool.

Mainoldo

Based on his performances so far, he would have been nowhere near the pace of that game today. He needs to start showing more in the performances against cannon fodder before we chuck him in against a team like Liverpool.
Don’t be silly and I say that respectfully.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
It's a bit sad to me because even if Ole doesn't value him as a player - I see him actually like Ole Gunner Soljskaer himself a bit; that player who can maybe score a clutch goal with some ability to make a nice run that someone picks off after coming off the bench.

It seemed to happen on his debut and after that Ole never seems to use that as a tactic ever again.

Sylar

Fernandes could do with a bit of a break and VDB needs to prove that he shouldn't just be left to warm the bench.
I agree with this. Think we need to ensure theres no Bruno burnout and we want VDB to be ready just in case Bruno gets an injury or a knock later in the season.

lost7

“I do talk to a lot of people at the club,” Van der Sar told Dutch broadcaster Ziggo Sport. “Fantastic attitude, he does well in training.

“It [fighting his way into midfield] is difficult. [Paul] Pogba is coming back, [Bruno] Fernandes is very important, [Nemanja] Matic and [Scott] McTominay are also there.

"It’s no shame at all, it’s also a big club, isn’t it? Of course, it’s a large amount (Van de Beek’s transfer fee), but they are confident that he will get there.”

Van der Sar shows he's a very wise person. Some of you should really listen to his words

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-united-van-de-beek-19647646

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Definitely should start the next game, use the depth to keep our players fresh. Pogba looks fresh so he should stay though. Woulf play VdB as the 8 next to Matic, and Pogba as the 10. I just don't like Van de Beek in the hole and think hes far more useful in a deeper position where he can get on the ball more with his touch and technique. As a 10 he is just invisible and rarely gets involved (but might pop up with a goal or assist... its not enough if you have the least amount of touches on the pitch).

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's fair enough he isn't first choice, but it is unfair when other players regularly drop stinkers week after week and they don't get dropped.

He deserves a chance in the side now, he's been very patient.

Offsideagain

I totally agree with that comment. VDB should get at least three games as a starter. It took Fred almost a whole season to show his full potential and VDB is being judged on the odd cameo appearance. I have a mate in Holland who rates VDB highly and was gutted that we bought him.

SAFMUTD

I totally agree with that comment. VDB should get at least three games as a starter. It took Fred almost a whole season to show his full potential and VDB is being judged on the odd cameo appearance. I have a mate in Holland who rates VDB highly and was gutted that we bought him.
Ane bench who to give him that 3 games?

As slim as our chances are we are in a title race, we can't give ourselves the luxury to give a free ride card to anyone.

VDB must prove he can do the job, I agree he needs a chance but if he doesn't perform then he will be benched again.

Strelok

“I do talk to a lot of people at the club,” Van der Sar told Dutch broadcaster Ziggo Sport. “Fantastic attitude, he does well in training.

“It [fighting his way into midfield] is difficult. [Paul] Pogba is coming back, [Bruno] Fernandes is very important, [Nemanja] Matic and [Scott] McTominay are also there.

"It’s no shame at all, it’s also a big club, isn’t it? Of course, it’s a large amount (Van de Beek’s transfer fee), but they are confident that he will get there.”

Van der Sar shows he's a very wise person. Some of you should really listen to his words

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-united-van-de-beek-19647646
He's definitely wise. Sold us a slower Lingard for £40m.

tomaldinho1

Issue for us now is how long can Bruno be shit without being dropped? Seem crazy to say it but I'm struggling to recall a worse individual performance than him yesterday, which makes the fact we drew all the most impressive for the other 10 players/shows Liverpool aren't that great this season. Fred/McT got slated in the matchday thread but they were constantly overloaded because of Bruno.

Pogba was dropped and played his way into the team when he was given a chance (even though he's leaving) what does Donny have to do to get a look in? There's absolutely no way we could have been worse with him on for Bruno yesterday.

Personally I think Ole really buys into earning and deserving your place and picking players on form so I really hope VdB gets a chance now. What's mental is we have fans writing him off and he's never, literally never, had a run in the team in the same position and it's Jan. Fans are making their minds up on the odd cup game and some 2 minute cameos.

Jericho

He should of come on for Fernandes against Liverpool. We have to start giving him a chance. We're starting with two attacking midfielders these days so we really should be rotating him with Pogba and Fernandes.

Yagami

Good post resistant
He's definitely wise. Sold us a slower Lingard for £40m.
Nah, we're just too naive. It was obvious he was a rubbish player but we decided to spunk the £40m regardless. Gutted Madrid didn't sign him.

::sonny::

Solskjaer doesn’t have confidence in him, he uses him sometimes, often only the last mins, it reminds me eriksen at inter

Last edited:

Trequarista10

Bruno has been poor for a while now,looks a bit drained,at least give him a shot.
I think this leads to the pressing question: Is VdB's role as Bruno's backup, or is he supposed to be competing for a starting role as one of the two deeper midfielders?

He seems to be a 10 or attacking minded number 8. Bruno is nailed down first choice number 10, and we don't really play with an attacking minded number 8. I mean, theoretically he could potentially develop into a good player in the deeper role, but its not where he has played most of his football to date. If he ends up playing deep occasionally, mixed with the odd appearance as a 10 or from out wide, I'm struggling to see how he nails down a place in the team. Tbh from his perspective he would have been better off joining a team that plays a 433 with one DM and two mids as opposed to our 4231.

As poor as Bruno was and as limited as McTominay is, they're still better than Donny.

Ole knows this, too, so hopefully we don't start him against Fulham as we need to win.
What's this based on?

Donny hasn't been given a chance, so we don't know what he'd being to the team if he got a run of games

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He is someone maybe Woodward pushed on Ole after Grealish didnt sign and Pogba is shaking.

It was an emergency last day signing aswell.

Just not going to fit Ole's teams.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
We need to have a total restructure behind the scenes at the club after this season.

Why are we spending £40m (which is a lot given the pandemic ) on a player our manager doesn't rate?

Who are these people buying these players? I simply refuse to believe Ole really wanted him and is leaving him out. No manager would treat their new big signing like that.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
We need to have a total restructure behind the scenes at the club after this season.

Why are we spending £40m (which is a lot given the pandemic ) on a player our manager doesn't rate?

Who are these people buying these players? I simply refuse to believe Ole really wanted him and is leaving him out. No manager would treat their new big signing like that.
I think it's obvious that he wasn't our first choice (which was Grealish), but I doubt Ole actually didn't want him. Most likely he's been fairly poor in training, combined with being poor when we've played him at #10 and average in a deeper role, so it's hard for Ole to give him more opportunities than he's had.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I think it's obvious that he wasn't our first choice (which was Grealish), but I doubt Ole actually didn't want him. Most likely he's been fairly poor in training, combined with being poor when we've played him at #10 and average in a deeper role, so it's hard for Ole to give him more opportunities than he's had.
Or the most likely scenario - he's fine in training and Ole likes him (he personally scouted him according to reports) but he's bought for next season, not this season. We upped our interest when Ajax informed us of Spurs making a move, so the purchase was made a year early.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
I still don't understand what his role is at the moment. Early replacement for Pogba? Give him a year to settle in and learn that role before he gets regular game time?

It seems obvious based on where started he's in games of any magnitude in the preferred 4-2-3-1 that at the moment, he's only trusted playing in an advanced midfield role. With Fernandes proving indispensable however that's severely limited the amount of minutes available to him.

As I mentioned, think he's a good player but probably not suited to playing in a double-pivot (even if his tackling seems to be surprisingly effective at times) so I question the thought process behind this signing still.

KennyBurner

I dont get the shoutouts for him to be a starter. Anytime he plays he has shown good quality on the ball but not enough bravery or creativity in his passing. He always takes the easy route. I dont even know what his best position is at this point. Im trusting Ole on his decision based on what Ive seen.

I dont get the shoutouts for him to be a starter. Anytime he plays he has shown good quality on the ball but not enough bravery or creativity in his passing. He always takes the easy route. I dont even know what his best position is at this point. Im trusting Ole on his decision based on what Ive seen.
Its just because he’s new and big played much. His expectation continues to grow the less he plays.

Adam-Utd

People need time to adjust and gain their confidence in a side. Can you honestly say he's been trusted to do that?

Look at Fred, he had a rocky start and then exploded. VDB clearly has the natural talent, he just needs confidence and a few games to show it.

Even when he does play Ole seems to hook him straight away at the first opportunity, it's very weird.

romufc

People need time to adjust and gain their confidence in a side. Can you honestly say he's been trusted to do that?

Look at Fred, he had a rocky start and then exploded. VDB clearly has the natural talent, he just needs confidence and a few games to show it.

Even when he does play Ole seems to hook him straight away at the first opportunity, it's very weird.
This is it, a player must earn the managers trust.

Which position do fans actually think he should play?

Its difficult to show what you can do when there is 3/4 players that have the managers trust. Fred didn't have the trust but got in the team with injuries to Pogba, McTominay last season.

This season, he gave Bruno a rest in the West Ham game and Donny done nothing. He played well against Watford but did we control the game? did we create many chances?

Adam-Utd

This is it, a player must earn the managers trust.

Which position do fans actually think he should play?

Its difficult to show what you can do when there is 3/4 players that have the managers trust. Fred didn't have the trust but got in the team with injuries to Pogba, McTominay last season.

This season, he gave Bruno a rest in the West Ham game and Donny done nothing. He played well against Watford but did we control the game? did we create many chances?
I think that's unfair to say that against Watford. He played with Lingard / Mata / James ahead of him - even Pogba failed to create with those guys ahead of him most of the time.

Donny did create the clear goal scoring chance for Mata though lets not forget.

He needs to play in CM behind Bruno and lets see how it works. Do people forget he played against Leipzig in the 5-0? he was a huge reason for our quick tempo football that game.

romufc

I think that's unfair to say that against Watford. He played with Lingard / Mata / James ahead of him - even Pogba failed to create with those guys ahead of him most of the time.

Donny did create the clear goal scoring chance for Mata though lets not forget.

He needs to play in CM behind Bruno and lets see how it works. Do people forget he played against Leipzig in the 5-0? he was a huge reason for our quick tempo football that game.
Didn't Bruno create chances in a team with James, Perreira when he joined? isn't he the one people want to drop for Donny?

We cannot play both Pogba and Donny behind Bruno, Donny does not have the passing range to be able to play that position either.

That was his best game, we played a diamond him at the tip of the diamond, it was a tight game but also remember, we scored 4 goals when Bruno and Rashy came on.

Adam-Utd

Didn't Bruno create chances in a team with James, Perreira when he joined? isn't he the one people want to drop for Donny?

We cannot play both Pogba and Donny behind Bruno, Donny does not have the passing range to be able to play that position either.

That was his best game, we played a diamond him at the tip of the diamond, it was a tight game but also remember, we scored 4 goals when Bruno and Rashy came on.
no, CM.

I think we can, Pogba has proved he's working hard enough defensively, Donny will too. Plenty of other teams don't play a pure DM as long as the team keep their shape and work hard off the ball.

Donny definitely does have a passing range too, just look at the pre season game away to Villa to see that. Some lovely long and short passes.

While that's true we still played some fantastic football before that point.

Donny just needs a chance that's all. Maybe it'll take an injury elsewhere before he's properly given a chance, a bit like Bailly.

gza the genius

Or the most likely scenario - he's fine in training and Ole likes him (he personally scouted him according to reports) but he's bought for next season, not this season. We upped our interest when Ajax informed us of Spurs making a move, so the purchase was made a year early.
If that was the case you'd think Ole would be integrating him in to the team somewhat still. Right now he just gets games with the other unused players in cups or whatever and maybe a couple of minutes at the end of a game here or there. It seems like a silly signing, even Mata is mostly preferred to him in games that matter.

Oranges038

I think the only thing keeping him out of the team is the resurgence to form of Pogba. If we were seeing the Pogba of early last season or the season before there's no doubt he'd be playing more. It would no doubt be him, Fred (McT) and Bruno in the middle. There's very little scope to show horn all three in unless he goes back to the diamond formation.

I also think Ole is reluctant to make moves from his midfield in games, especially if it's a tight game, because he knows that Pogba or Bruno can generate a moment to create a goal in a split second. He's not as incisive as Bruno or as dynamic as Pogba. He's got good awareness, movement and passing especially around the opposition box. He probably should be given more playing time, but I think patience is the key here he has shown glimpses of his quality, he will get more chances. He just needs to show what he can do when they come around.

Status
Not open for further replies.