5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekeke

How is he same as Fred? Fred is a work horse and miles better when pressing and defending. Donny is a passenger when we don’t have the ball.
When playing in Bruno's position yeah. Because thats not the role.

When playing as a DM he presses and wins the ball

Red & White

He was fairly tidy but it’s always gonna be hard coming into a team doing well without many minutes under your belt. He’ll be important in the second half of the season as injuries start to kick in so hopefully he’ll be ready.

tayside red

Martial??? Now that's a man whose confidence is shot to bits
you're right there, however, Martial's Prima Donna attitude is maybe what DVB needs to bolster his ego and make him think he's good, it may help him lose 'the rabbit in the headlights' feeling I always see in him when he runs with the ball (which isn't that often) He needs games, minutes on the pitch

criticalanalysis

Still think his positioning and perhaps instructions from Ole are off. He was almost level with Cavani more than half the time. Why was he so high up and away from the action? He's not going to dribble past or run off the shoulder anyways.

Get him in the middle, more adjacent with McPog so he can press, hurry and link up more.

There's quality there, no doubt. Some of his first touch passes were inch perfect. Pity there wasn't enough of him on the ball.

Zoo

Showcased some nice one touch play in the opposition penalty area, but otherwise struggled to get involved. He’s not going to challenge Bruno there so we need to develop him as a deeper lying midfielder. I think he can do it.

Juanuzayne

When playing in Bruno's position yeah. Because thats not the role.

When playing as a DM he presses and wins the ball
Fair enough. Let’s see if he gets a decent run there. Perhaps Ole should have Pogba at 10 when giving Bruno a rest and play Donny and McT/Matic behind.

Matt851

Still think his positioning and perhaps instructions from Ole are off. He was almost level with Cavani more than half the time. Why was he so high up and away from the action? He's not going to dribble past or run off the shoulder anyways.

Get him in the middle, more adjacent with McPog so he can press, hurry and link up more.

There's quality there, no doubt. Some of his first touch passes were inch perfect. Pity there wasn't enough of him on the ball.
I agree

I dont understand why we cant just switch to more of a 433 eithout bruno with pogba having more licence to roam

He seems to have played high up the pitch in most games despite lacking the pace, skill or creativity to do this. If he was signed to perform this role it does make you wonder what the recruitment team were thinking

manunited1919

He needs minutes more than anything. Ole threw him into the deep end, a game against Liverpool, so hopefully that helps him get some experience on what these games are about... next time he should get some minutes in a proper EPL game, we need him match fit.

SirScholes

Lot of people mentioning Fred here need to remember that Fred also took time to adjust

he’s went from being a star player to a bit part player
Has hardly any match sharpness and was started against our biggest rivials

wasn’t expecting anything magical, wouldn’t be surprised if he moves on but equally wouldn’t be surprised if he turned out to be a valuable player once he’s found his feet

Dominos

I'd like to see him play deeper in midfield more often and Pogba further forward. Pogba's problem has always been giving the ball away in dangerous areas in front of the defence. Having a possession oriented player in Donny in the deeper role may benefit us and afford Pogba more of an attacking influence on games.

RedDevilRoshi

Thought he done ok. Nothing bad but nothing exactly major to give Ole a real selection headache.

Showed some very nice touches and played some nice passes but I didn’t think he really imposed himself on the game. Certainly looked a little nervous at times, particularly a moment in the 1st half when it looked like he was through 1v1 against Fabinho. He all of a sudden just seemed to shit himself and stopped driving towards their goal and passed it backwards. 2nd half didn’t really do much and was subbed for Bruno which was the right move.

I’d still be tempted to give him a start against Sheffield Utd though. Back to back starts and hopefully a goal/assist could do him the world of good in terms of confidence.

manunited1919

Fair enough. Let’s see if he gets a decent run there. Perhaps Ole should have Pogba at 10 when giving Bruno a rest and play Donny and McT/Matic behind.
we could try that against other teams, but difficult against Liverpool. He had a decent game considering the opponent and his limited gametime.

Brightonian

I have no doubt he's a good player and in time he'll adapt and start to play more regularly. But if there's still anyone 'clamouring for him to start more' after today they weren't watching. Admittedly we struggled in midfield for long periods which limited service to him... but a good #10 in this league absolutely needs to be able to make things happen for himself and get involved in a midfield battle. He didn't even really seem to try. How often did Pogba or McTominay look up and not find anyone to pass to? It's his job to be available for those passes.

He'll get plenty of football because we've got the entire Europa league coming up. But he hasn't earned the right to demand more PL starts based on today.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
"He's a number 10, Ole. Play him just off the forwards"

Beek plays as a number 10 and underwhelms.

Same person "What you doing, Ole ? He's a deep-lying midfielder !"

caid

Just looks a bit at odds with the team around him. Probably not straight forward to go from playing for a team like ajax to united. That moment when he picked up a pass on the edge of their box and turned back to retain possession rather than taking on the defender felt like it summed his night up a bit. Sensible enough to recycle possession when he saw there was little support up with him but every other united player near our team would take the defender on or throw a cross towards Cavani. He'll need time to adjust but i'd back him to do so, he's too solid in too many regards to be an unmitigated failure. Good technique, decent passing, clever, works hard and seems to have a good attitude. Looks like he can pitch in wiith the odd goal too. Might be hard to be a huge success with Pogba and Bruno ahead of him though.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
"He's a number 10, Ole. Play him just off the forwards"

Beek plays as a number 10 and underwhelms.

Same person "What you doing, Ole ? He's a deep-lying midfielder !"
What exactly did you expect against liverpool when we were playing a counter attacking style for most of the game?

Bruno hardly did anything better when he came on apart from the free kick, his general play was no more involved.

It feels like people are just being silly with their expectations. Unless he scored a hattrick nobody would be happy.

Kuba

Just nothing player for me, not good for 10 because he is too weak, slow, not dangerous enough, does not know that sometimes you are allow to shoot, does not see what is happening around him unless it’s 5 meters passes slowing our game all the time not seeing movement of our attackers time and time again, I would rather our defence or gk play long ball on the counter than run that action by him. Those 2 goals we scored today if it was him in that situations and have exactly the same chances to pass that ball hundred times I bet he would not make a single pass that would give us that kind of chances to score.

What is he good at? Seriously ?

If he was not 40 mln transfer from Ajax but some dude we bought from championship club after showing what he had there would not be any more chances for him.

Bruno created more chances in his 15 minutes cameo than vdb whole season.
Just do something ffs.

Can’t stand him, can not enjoy our play with him in the squad, I would rather have pereira who would at least try to shoot or play some through passes to our forwards.

He had enough time this season to at least show something other than short passing, create some chances, anything... he just is there.

The only observer being allowed to watch United play live.

I know people can have bad games but he brings absolutely nothing to the table at least nothing we are interested in.

When you have a player like Bruno and you understand what he brings to our team and you have player who plays in the same position who does everything different you just know you do not need him at all.

Adamsk7

What exactly did you expect against liverpool when we were playing a counter attacking style for most of the game?

Bruno hardly did anything better when he came on apart from the free kick, his general play was no more involved.

It feels like people are just being silly with their expectations. Unless he scored a hattrick nobody would be happy.
What? He scored a goal and also set up Cavani for the header at the end. He had as many passes in 24 minutes as VDB in 66!

I am a fan of Donny but he’s nothing on Bruno and I wouldn’t expect him to be. We can’t make excuses for him though, his performances aren’t good enough to dislodge players that are simply playing better than him at the moment - no shame in that.

El Zoido

He’ll be alright, needs time and a run of games. Let’s not forget it wasn’t long ago that Fred looked like a Sunday league player, but he found his place. DVB will get there, but it won’t be this season.

MadMike

I'd like to see him play deeper in midfield more often and Pogba further forward. Pogba's problem has always been giving the ball away in dangerous areas in front of the defence. Having a possession oriented player in Donny in the deeper role may benefit us and afford Pogba more of an attacking influence on games.
I agree with this.

Pogba also seems to be the bigger goal threat. So when Bruno is out, I'd prefer Pogba to be the most advanced midfielder and VDB slotting in CM next to whoever plays DM.

EDIT: However, neither Pogba nor VDB can replicate what Bruno does. Fernandes plays very high, practically next to Cavani almost as a Support Striker. I don't think that suits any other midfielder in our books, so tactics should be adjusted when Fernandes is off.

Kuba

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

maybe you should start watching other sport mate, it seems that you just do not get football at all or you just put your house on vdb transfer to be success and you see you are on losing side and trying to be desperate for some reason.

If he was half as involved on the pitch as you are here trying to sell us some fiction concept about him being sort of good in any way, he would be putting Bruno on the bench.

Adam-Utd

What? He scored a goal and also set up Cavani for the header at the end. He had as many passes in 24 minutes as VDB in 66!

I am a fan of Donny but he’s nothing on Bruno and I wouldn’t expect him to be. We can’t make excuses for him though, his performances aren’t good enough to dislodge players that are simply playing better than him at the moment - no shame in that.
Nobody is saying he’s better than Bruno.

VDB was playing his first minutes in a month against liverpool, and people expect him to demolish them single handidly?

He did some very nice plays today, could have had a goal if Greenwood passed to him, nearly got an assist for Cavani when he squared it and nearly made a goal with a nicely weighted ball to shaw when he crossed it.

Yes he didn’t get involved in the build up a huge amount as rashford and shaw were our main ball carriers, but he was always there to be involved when he got the ball.

The issue is he’s not used to our direct style of football yet, but he’d be much better against a side that’s parking the bus like Sheffield on Wednesday.

I’d prefer to see him deeper in midfield where he can use his quick passing to help keep the ball moving if he’s in the same team as Bruno.

lex talionis

This kid is quality. He goes weeks without a game and then comes in against Liverpool in the cup and plays like that. Can just imagine how good he is when he is being regularly picked. He has a very bright future here with us.
Exactly. Reading some of the posts here you’d think Donny scored a hat trick of own goals today.

NoPace

Ironically I think he and Martial would do well together as a central attacking pairing

Adam-Utd

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

maybe you should start watching other sport mate, it seems that you just do not get football at all or you just put your house on vdb transfer to be success and you see you are on losing side and trying to be desperate for some reason.

If he was half as involved on the pitch as you are here trying to sell us some fiction concept about him being sort of good in any way, he would be putting Bruno on the bench.
I’m good thanks! Bruno made 1 chance for Cavani, that’s it. Yes his free kick was great but his general play wasn’t anything special which is the point.

Obviously I’m not saying he’s better than Bruno but the way some are talking here is way over exaggerated - we just saw Bruno have the worst game of his United career last week against the same liverpool side for some perspective.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Thought he done ok. Nothing bad but nothing exactly major to give Ole a real selection headache.

Showed some very nice touches and played some nice passes but I didn’t think he really imposed himself on the game. Certainly looked a little nervous at times, particularly a moment in the 1st half when it looked like he was through 1v1 against Fabinho. He all of a sudden just seemed to shit himself and stopped driving towards their goal and passed it backwards. 2nd half didn’t really do much and was subbed for Bruno which was the right move.

I’d still be tempted to give him a start against Sheffield Utd though. Back to back starts and hopefully a goal/assist could do him the world of good in terms of confidence.
I like your thinking. Bruno and Pogba will need rest games and the next game is going to be a lot easier than today (on paper anyway) we should be trying to play him into some kind of form and giving him some more experience for next season. I’m fairly sure he’s been bought as pogbas replacement..

Mindhunter

We are not a well drilled attacking unit and rely mostly on moments. He seems to be a player who thrives in a system and is finding it difficult to express himself in his environment. He is basically the mirror opposite of Bruno.

To make matters worse, his positioning is awful for the role he is playing. He needs to be better at either finding pockets of space in between the lines or drop down to offer an option to our midfielders. He neither carries the ball nor is his passing range good enough to find players making runs. He basically stitches passes together, links players, and passes and moves.

He is a rich man's Lingard at this point. I am afraid it won't work if we continue to play the way we do unless he tries really hard to improve his passing and positioning.

Adamsk7

Nobody is saying he’s better than Bruno.

VDB was playing his first minutes in a month against liverpool, and people expect him to demolish them single handidly?

He did some very nice plays today, could have had a goal if Greenwood passed to him, nearly got an assist for Cavani when he squared it and nearly made a goal with a nicely weighted ball to shaw when he crossed it.

Yes he didn’t get involved in the build up a huge amount as rashford and shaw were our main ball carriers, but he was always there to be involved when he got the ball.

The issue is he’s not used to our direct style of football yet, but he’d be much better against a side that’s parking the bus like Sheffield on Wednesday.

I’d prefer to see him deeper in midfield where he can use his quick passing to help keep the ball moving if he’s in the same team as Bruno.
He was ok. The problem he’s got is that he HAS to be GREAT to get in the side currently - the players he’s against are Bruno and Pogba who, IMO, are vastly superior players and always will be. Giving him a run of games to do so is also a flight of fancy because we are not a charity. We can’t afford to leave either of the players mentioned on the bench for any sort of extended period.
I also don’t agree with other rhetoric floating about that he’s up against McT, Fred or Matic because Ole will always want a ball winner and a fast presser and he is neither of those things. It might work against a park the bus team (VDB and Pogba) which Id like to see tried so I agree with you there.
Ultimately I think he needs time but he also needs to take any chance he gets and I just don’t think he’s doing that at the moment.

tjb

Exactly. Reading some of the posts here you’d think Donny scored a hat trick of own goals today.
Where has he shown his quality for us? There is literally no proof of that. Isn't it possible that he's just meant to be a squad player for us? There's nothing outstanding about him outside of his touch and movement. A United player needs to offer much more than that to start every week. He is young and has tools to develop, but people have the wrong notion of him as a potential start that we've been misusing on our bench. He's clearly not that.

A-man

I have no doubt he's a good player and in time he'll adapt and start to play more regularly. But if there's still anyone 'clamouring for him to start more' after today they weren't watching. Admittedly we struggled in midfield for long periods which limited service to him... but a good #10 in this league absolutely needs to be able to make things happen for himself and get involved in a midfield battle. He didn't even really seem to try. How often did Pogba or McTominay look up and not find anyone to pass to? It's his job to be available for those passes.

He'll get plenty of football because we've got the entire Europa league coming up. But he hasn't earned the right to demand more PL starts based on today.
He need to play more but we can’t sacrifice the PL to speed develop him. He will have to go the long way.

Crashoutcassius

For me it's very clear now why people thing he's bad. They expect him to be a football he's not.
He did absolutely nothing wrong today. But he's being used in the wrong position in this tactical setup. He's great in build-up play, not in the current counterattack tactics. The ball just goes over his head to the attackers, so he won't get many balls to actually build up the play. So he needs to play at 8, not 10.
But yet again people complain that he's not good enough while players like McTominay can't pass a ball to a teammate twice in a row. He should've never been bought if Ole wasn't going to change his tactics from countering to real build up play. Otherwise he's not gonna be good enough.

Btw i keep reading that he's slow, but he's not slower than McTominay and co. So why is that?
Why would we change our whole team to suit van de beek, if it stopped suiting our main attackers

Adam-Utd

He was ok. The problem he’s got is that he HAS to be GREAT to get in the side currently - the players he’s against are Bruno and Pogba who, IMO, are vastly superior players and always will be. Giving him a run of games to do so is also a flight of fancy because we are not a charity. We can’t afford to leave either of the players mentioned on the bench for any sort of extended period.
I also don’t agree with other rhetoric floating about that he’s up against McT, Fred or Matic because Ole will always want a ball winner and a fast presser and he is neither of those things. It might work against a park the bus team (VDB and Pogba) which Id like to see tried so I agree with you there.
Ultimately I think he needs time but he also needs to take any chance he gets and I just don’t think he’s doing that at the moment.
While I agree with what you’re saying, I think he has been under utilised and the amount of minutes he’s got so far is poor. I’m surprised we haven’t used him as a sub more often at least.

It’s a very good thing that Bruno is so fit as if he did get injured donny wouldn’t be up to speed to replace him.

Anyway, it was a solid enough performance and I hope we get to see more of him soon.

The United

While I agree with what you’re saying, I think he has been under utilised and the amount of minutes he’s got so far is poor. I’m surprised we haven’t used him as a sub more often at least.

It’s a very good thing that Bruno is so fit as if he did get injured donny wouldn’t be up to speed to replace him.

Anyway, it was a solid enough performance and I hope we get to see more of him soon.
He has been because he is shite..

Well, I was harsh. Let's say he could not find his useful place in the team at this moment.

sport2793

Having watched the game just now without the nerves watching it live, I actually thought Donny was ok. He had a couple of nice touches and passes before the pass that could have led to goals. Unfortunately for him, he is having to compete with the best CAM in world football at the moment but he's definitely a quality player. He will have opportunities for sure moving forward.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I might be one of the people who warned the caf. Not necessarily about him being rubbish, but about him not being an impactful player in that Ajax side's playstyle. He provided runs and some finishing, but to me he was the clear weaker player of the bunch. On the other hand he complimented the likes of Ziyech and De Jong well, because they dont score goals, but they were a great box to box player away from being a world class side.

In the end, Donny can play a role when surrounded by lots of creativity, but only then. And that role is limited.
I think that connects well to what I wrote in my second paragraph actually: good addition to a subtop team that plays a possession game. I'm really only challenging the idea that he was clearly 'rubbish' at Ajax: I think that's nonsense.

cyril C

Once or twice glimpse of brilliance but involvement overall was far too low. Fairly disappointed IMO, he need to train harder on how to interact with the team.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I’ve the match on here again. He plays the pass before the assist for Greenwood’s goal. He nearly set Greenwood up before that. He had the one on one and linked the simple stuff together. He was alright in the first half and he always looked like getting hooked on the second. Not the worst and against one of the toughest opponents in the league. He’ll definitely get better with more games.

Status
Not open for further replies.