5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

CM

I'm sure there's a player in there and clearly he has good technical ability but van de Beek just seems to be a bit too safe in how he plays the game. The best example I can think of was when he was played through on the right wing at the end of the first half. He started running down their left side but as soon as someone got close to him he ended up turning and passing backwards when there was a ball on to the man behind if he took a chance.

Perhaps it's a confidence thing because he isn't getting regular minutes but he seems to overthink it. He's all about keeping possession and moving the ball onto other players with little touches and dummies when he'd probably be better off taking a few pops at goal himself. The funny thing is it was one of the first things he did off the bench v Palace on his debut but we've barely seen it since.

rakesh289

Too much negativity on here, he has hardly played in 2 months and for that he was quite good today. Nice touches and was critical in us retaining the ball and not letting liverpool dominate the possession.
Pereira got a run of games for almost half a season and pogba took almost 3 months of regular play this season to get going, cannot expect vdb to play once every 2 months and perform magic.

Shimo

Thought he did well. Was tidy on the ball and IMO, in the first half, him keeping possession a few times versus maybe Bruno in his place, helped us impose ourselves on them rather than just invite pressure.

Janusz Michallik said it best today about him. At Ajax he was very good but, circumstances have just conspired to put him in the position he is now. Bruno is his preferred role, Pogba has now playing at his best and can't really take Fred/Matic/McTomminay's role. He can put in good performances like he did today but, only way he manages to play himself is unworldly performances which is not realistic.

He is going to have to bide his time and just do a job when called upon, which he did admirably today.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He was fine - player within himself a bit.

NinjaFletch

I’m good thanks! Bruno made 1 chance for Cavani, that’s it. Yes his free kick was great but his general play wasn’t anything special which is the point.

Obviously I’m not saying he’s better than Bruno but the way some are talking here is way over exaggerated - we just saw Bruno have the worst game of his United career last week against the same liverpool side for some perspective.
Bruno came on in the 66th minute, so let's say he had 30 minutes on the pitch. In less than half the time Van de Beek was on the pitch, he completed 6 less passes than him, scored the winning goal, and put in a ridiculous cross for Cavani.

In his time on the pitch, Van de Beek managed the fewest touches of any player and completed the fewest passes of any outfield player on either side.

Frankly, I think it's kinda obvious why a player might be excused for having the odd stinker trying to force the issue when their upside is so obvious and so frequently shown. If it was a one off with Van de Beek, you'd probably let him off having a quiet game too, but almost every start or every cameo appearance has featured similar issues. In fact, I'd be far more willing to cut him some slack for looking over eager and trying too hard to impress.

At the minute, he's trading off of the Ajax brand. Had we signed him from any other club people would be calling out his anonymity for what it is rather than looking to justify it as proof that he operates on a higher plane of existence to our other players.

He has some serious work to do if he's going to be a success here.

Phil

I'd like to see him play deeper in midfield more often and Pogba further forward. Pogba's problem has always been giving the ball away in dangerous areas in front of the defence. Having a possession oriented player in Donny in the deeper role may benefit us and afford Pogba more of an attacking influence on games.
Yeah absolutely this. He's so neat and in control of the ball so could help with the midfield playing out of the back, for example.

He doesn't influence the game enough or take enough risks to play Bruno's role in a straight swap.

Raven

Thought it was a alright performance. Clever with the ball but is playing very safe. I'm sure he'll learn our system better and grow into the team, he's an excellent talent.

MattofManchester

He's not a 10. He frankly never was. He's a clean passer but will never be that ambitious.
Think it should seriously be considered to play him deeper in midfield.

city-puma

He's not a 10. He frankly never was. He's a clean passer but will never be that ambitious.
Think it should seriously be considered to play him deeper in midfield.
If you pay attention to his movements when we have moved to the opponent’s box, you can see he can very often be in a very good position waiting for the ball passed or dropped to him and ready to shoot. But, no one is aware of it and the ball never comes. This is a chemistry issue between him and the other players.
I think he can play very well in a midfield three on right. A proper RW will allow us play that system, 433.

Yagami

Good post resistant
So if he was really rubbish, then why was he a starter with Ajax in the season they reached the CL semis?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that he's great or should be a starter for Man United. I think he's a poor fit stylistically and that he may not have the quality of the current United first 11. If he wants to be a starter, he might rather go to a team that's more organized/careful in possession and is just below United's current level - maybe something like Leicester (if I'm not underestimating them) or Southampton (this season), or like Leipzig (who shouldn't have made it through in the CL before United) or Gladbach in Germany.

But there's a difference between explaining why you think it won't work out for Van de Beek at United and claiming to 'know' that 'he was, in fact, rubbish' - which seems more like wumming to me.
How can it be wumming when I've said the same before we signed him? It's my genuine opinion of him and has been for years. Him signing for us doesn't wash away the player he was prior, and a few other posters shared the same opinion.

As I've said previously, not only did I find Donny the least impressive in that team, being apart of a team that accomplishes as much as that Ajax side did doesn't mean they have to all be good players. To me, it was mainly down to the system their manager implemented which is why I only really wanted De Jong out of that lot because I don't think anyone else would be worth it out of said system. Apart from Blind of course, but that ship had sailed.

ur2cdanger

He will be much more valuable in and around the opposition's penalty box. As we improve further, teams will start dropping back much more than now. This will seriously reduce Bruno's direct passing range as the space will be limited. Donny's quick 1-2 with probably Mason, Martial, Rashford will be very useful to unlock tight ultra low block defence.

Eddy_JukeZ

He's just not very good honestly. But perhaps with time, he can be a decent squad player.

If it was possible to save the VDB money to get Grealish in the summer, we 1000% should have done that.

meamth

I'm sure there's a player in there and clearly he has good technical ability but van de Beek just seems to be a bit too safe in how he plays the game. The best example I can think of was when he was played through on the right wing at the end of the first half. He started running down their left side but as soon as someone got close to him he ended up turning and passing backwards when there was a ball on to the man behind if he took a chance.

Perhaps it's a confidence thing because he isn't getting regular minutes but he seems to overthink it. He's all about keeping possession and moving the ball onto other players with little touches and dummies when he'd probably be better off taking a few pops at goal himself. The funny thing is it was one of the first things he did off the bench v Palace on his debut but we've barely seen it since.
Rashford had a go at him too. Why the feck didn't he continue running to the byline?

meamth

In all seriousness, whatever coaching they did with Fred before his break out season, it will work out for VDB too.

Fred weren't physically ready for PL/United calibre until just last season. VDB will receive the same development, I'm sure of it.

He will learn to be more physically imposing in this league.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
One touch play wise, he's fantastic. He takes risks with his one-touch, as they are quick and crisp towards the team-mate - even if it's a backheel or a no-look pass.

It's when he takes a touch and monitors the situation, he just lacks ambition and mainly plays it back. There was that moment in the first half where he was played down the wing, looked as if we had a 3v3 or a 3v2 going - and instead of running at Fabinho and look up where Greenwood/Cavani were, he turns back on himself and passes it back.

I'm sure he's better than this, but I think his style just doesn't suit us at the moment. Only way it will is if he adapts his game and uses his ability to produce a quick pass to help with our countering.

He's definitely likeable though. I really hope he makes it here in some degree.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
How can it be wumming when I've said the same before we signed him? It's my genuine opinion of him and has been for years. Him signing for us doesn't wash away the player he was prior, and a few other posters shared the same opinion.

As I've said previously, not only did I find Donny the least impressive in that team, being apart of a team that accomplishes as much as that Ajax side did doesn't mean they have to all be good players. To me, it was mainly down to the system their manager implemented which is why I only really wanted De Jong out of that lot because I don't think anyone else would be worth it out of said system. Apart from Blind of course, but that ship had sailed.
Well, fair enough then I guess; although De Ligt is doing great at Juventus from what I've read.

Strelok

I'm one of VDB biggest critics here but imo he did ok last match. Had some good one touch passes and overally much better than his previous cameos. Tbh comparing him to Bruno is a bit unfair given how ridiculous good Bruno is. Not only VDB but any player in the league atm. Hope he'd build on this and get better with his next chances.

Scholsey2004

He's just not very good honestly. But perhaps with time, he can be a decent squad player.

If it was possible to save the VDB money to get Grealish in the summer, we 1000% should have done that.
This is exactly where I stand on him. If he'd come through our youth system he'd be getting the Cleverley treatment on here by now. Maybe he'll prove me wrong like Fred did but before we signed him I thought he looked very average on a stats sheet so I'm not sure there's a lot of growth potential there.

Scholsey2004

One touch play wise, he's fantastic. He takes risks with his one-touch, as they are quick and crisp towards the team-mate - even if it's a backheel or a no-look pass.

It's when he takes a touch and monitors the situation, he just lacks ambition and mainly plays it back. There was that moment in the first half where he was played down the wing, looked as if we had a 3v3 or a 3v2 going - and instead of running at Fabinho and look up where Greenwood/Cavani were, he turns back on himself and passes it back.

I'm sure he's better than this, but I think his style just doesn't suit us at the moment. Only way it will is if he adapts his game and uses his ability to produce a quick pass to help with our countering.

He's definitely likeable though. I really hope he makes it here in some degree.
Personally I think some of the young midfielders coming through here must be looking at him and thinking they've got a chance of edging him out.

RealBarcelonaUnited

Summing him up so far, he's the younger version of Mata.
Clearly has techniques and brains to play in a well drilled system, but wrong for the type of quick counter attacking football that we play.

SambaBoy

He's been what I expected so far. Very tidy on the ball, clever player and does the basics very well. Not massively expansive and not going to be a game winner. He's like Herrera but not as tenacious around the park so can't play as one of the deep-lying pivots.

OmarUnited4ever

I think the difference between Bruno & Donny is that Bruno reads the game very well and positions himself in a way that allows him to receive the ball with as minimal pressure and marking from opponents, Bruno also deploys his movement off the ball in "All Directions" (that is why he pops up almost everywhere), and that is why it seemed that he is on the ball a lot the moment Bruno entered the pitch,

Donny on the other hand doesn't read the game as well as Bruno and moves and positions himself in a way where he expects to be found regardless of the team's ability to find him, he also moves off the ball in more "Diagonal Direction" which is not easy for the ball holder to pass into (especially players like Mctominay or Wan Bissaka), and that is why it seemed like Donny was not on the ball as much as we would like to see.

I still think the issue is for Donny is that he is not used to Manchester United players and tactics, and is not as assertive as Bruno & Pogba, for example, he received the ball on the right side behind Robertson and had plenty of space and only Fabinho to deal with, he stopped and kept the ball and passed backwards and killed the momentum instead of driving into the box, had he done that, then the expectations and onus would be on Cavani & Rashford to race and be in position for a ball delivery from Donny, Bruno would have attempted to create a chance had he been in the same situation as Donny.

Of Course Donny & Bruno and different players and have different attributes, but as of now, Bruno is "very essential" for how the team plays and Donny is not, perhaps Ole needs to reconsider his game tactics to accommodate Donny, but that is a lot to ask from Ole, his current tactics are working and he is winning games.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Another problem I see with him (after watching the highlights), is how high he plays, effectively leaving midfield duo on their own in the build-up. I don't like that approach. Bruno plays high as well but you could see how he positions himself between the lines, just enough space to receive a pass.

The way Donny plays that second striker / no10 role is just ineffective. Frankly I don't think there is any future for him in that position.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

He is not a 10 and a different player compared to Bruno. If we are seriously interested in keeping him and making him an integral part of the (first) team we need to play him together with Bruno, deeper or on the right in games where we play with 2 strikers and no traditional wingers.
Maybe Ole is going to wait and see how the Pogba thing turns out in the summer to finally judge what to do with Donny.

I agree with some here that he tends to play it too safe, like as if he is afraid to make a mistake and get completely ignored again.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Think he’s better suited as a box to box midfielder rather than a number 10. His strength lies in keeping things simple and making attacking runs from a midfield position. He’s not a creative playmaker so the number 10 role does not suit him.

Kostov

The best I've seen him play for us when he played deeper in the CL at home I think was it Red Bull or the Turkish team, he clearly is better as a B2B midfielder rather than a 10.

Toblerone92

Pogba is seemingly granted the freedom to make multiple mistakes per game, because when he does pull it off the piece of skill he is attempting, he has it in his locke to play a Hollywood ball straight through to an attacker.

I feel if Donny was given the freedom to make mistakes and be creative, we would be more impressed with what we see. However, I don’t see how that is possible in a lineup including Pogba and Bruno, who are clearly going to be the primary creative outlets.

That said, we need squad depth and options off the bench, and I’m hopeful VdB can evolve into a very good tactical option. It all depends on how patient he is.

Polar

Fair enough. Let’s see if he gets a decent run there. Perhaps Ole should have Pogba at 10 when giving Bruno a rest and play Donny and McT/Matic behind.
Very good suggestion. Thinking the same. The problem is perhaps that he still looks like a junior or lacks physical presence right now.

He needs time to develop and adapt to PL and it’s a chance we are waiting for something good.

PaulRich

I think the Sheffield game would be perfect for him to gain more minutes. Hard to judge throwing him into a game of last nights magnitude with limited game time under his belt.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think he was ok yesterday, but believe his best will come against teams that park a bus, as his one touch passing would come in handy to break the lines

Classical Mechanic

I've never rated him either. Not from watching him or from looking at his stats while he was with Ajax. I watched him a few times for Ajax and you didn't even know he was on the pitch. He has some nice moments and I' sure he will for United at some point but on the whole he's painfully mediocre.

Olecurls99

He was fairly tidy but it’s always gonna be hard coming into a team doing well without many minutes under your belt. He’ll be important in the second half of the season as injuries start to kick in so hopefully he’ll be ready.
Spot on. He will play his part. He's a possession king but he just needs to get up to the speed of the league. Liverpool was a big ask and he did go missing for large chunks. But I would give him another start against Sheffield. I think he'll be great around their box with all the possession we'll have.

GMoore23

No doubt he has talent, he'd probably look great playing for Liverpool or City.
I just can't understand why we purchased him. If we're expecting him to adapt to our style then why even purchase him at all.
Purchase a player based on suitability to our style instead.
Our scouting team which is huge must be full of morons.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Bruno came on in the 66th minute, so let's say he had 30 minutes on the pitch. In less than half the time Van de Beek was on the pitch, he completed 6 less passes than him, scored the winning goal, and put in a ridiculous cross for Cavani.

In his time on the pitch, Van de Beek managed the fewest touches of any player and completed the fewest passes of any outfield player on either side.

Frankly, I think it's kinda obvious why a player might be excused for having the odd stinker trying to force the issue when their upside is so obvious and so frequently shown. If it was a one off with Van de Beek, you'd probably let him off having a quiet game too, but almost every start or every cameo appearance has featured similar issues. In fact, I'd be far more willing to cut him some slack for looking over eager and trying too hard to impress.

At the minute, he's trading off of the Ajax brand. Had we signed him from any other club people would be calling out his anonymity for what it is rather than looking to justify it as proof that he operates on a higher plane of existence to our other players.

I dont see why everybody keeps mentioning Bruno - they're both very different in style.

Bruno is one of the hardest working players in football, let alone as a 10. His stamina and work rate are what make him head and shoulders better than most others, to use that against DVB who hasn't even stepped on the pitch in a month is very unfair.

I think this is why i'm getting wound up by it all, he had a solid first half and did well with the ball when he got it, but no he's not the type that goes hunting for it or flying around the pitch like Bruno.

Stylistically against liverpool when we sit deep like that, it' always going to cause him to not be involved as much as we pretty much played through Shaw and Rashford all game to avoid their press. Everytime we went straight down the middle we lost it in dangerous areas.

You need to be able to analyse him individually, and he did a decent job in creating and linking play - that is primarily a 10's job. all the extra bruno brings is a bonus.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
We simply must stop using him on no10. I would rather play Mata there than Donny. I think that VDB is very good buy and very good player but he is no8.
We all know how playing player out of position can show wrong picture about player

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Sums it up.
Like Fred when he used to play hardly ever, no player is going to play well when they are not playing regularly - they will lack any rhythm or familiarity with teammates
Let's hope it doesn't take that long for him.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
He has some nice touches and flicks - there's definitely a good player in there but as many have said I think there's a mismatch in terms of his qualities and our style of play.

He seems very safe with his passing. Even when he broke the lines yesterday (with some great movement), his first instinct was to turn around and keep the ball rather than drive into the box / go for the killer pass. LVG would have loved him!

We've got to be patient, there's quality there but needs to adapt from the hot potato / tiki taka style.

Status
Not open for further replies.