Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brophs

The One and Only
I’ll start this by saying that I don’t really rate him and feel we should have gotten rid last summer, but unless ETH is firmly of the same view then it makes sense to give him an extended period working with him to see if he can draw out the player that used to be in there. The only real downside is him being nearer to the end of his deal by the time we sell him, but the price isn’t going to be huge either way. Clubs won’t exactly be falling over themselves to buy him given two awful seasons and possibly another to come.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I’ve given up on him but the one last chance I see is him playing behind a tall striker like a SS, which we still do not have.

Delle alli/Lingard etc.

The United

Ran around like a headless chicken.

Truth be told, his teammates rarely pass him the ball.
Because they would receive the ball back right away. They probably would rather save time and pass it to someone else who might do something productive with it once in awhile.

DickDastardly

Because they would receive the ball back right away. They probably would rather save time and pass it to someone else who might do something productive with it once in awhile.
That bit is true.
He thrives in that kind of play.
The pass and move and pass and move....

We just don't have the mentality yet.

Well, at least he'll be a good training metrononome for Erik's play in training.

Trex

I've been his biggest defender, and he has shown glimpses of what he can do in the very limited time he's been given over the past 2 seasons, but he's been woefully bad this preseason.

He keeps making runs in behind when he has no pace to make anything of them. I don't know why he doesn't go and get the ball off the defense. He has the technique to be a good midfielder but that's no good if you keep running away from the ball.

I know full well that it is really difficult when a manager doesn't rate you but he has to do much more with the minutes he's getting.

Looks lost, utterly lost. Even I would pick Mctominay over him now.
Good you're beginning to see sense.
@Terranova what do you say.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
Good you're beginning to see sense.
@Terranova what do you say.
it's just preseason. It's no wonder he came on at the same time as Eriksen. VDB with only Fred of McTominay doesn't work. Most likely Eriksen with McTominay doesn't really work that well either(well pretty much nobody with him). So we'll just have to see.

Trex

it's just preseason. It's no wonder he came on at the same time as Eriksen. VDB with only Fred of McTominay doesn't work. Most likely Eriksen with McTominay doesn't really work that well either(well pretty much nobody with him). So we'll just have to see.
I guess we'll, I honestly hope you're right but I don't really see it.

Revaulx

Said it many times- we do this with lots of players and people take out their frustration/aggression on the manager for not picking a certain player only to realise there's a VERY good reason why that player isn't being picked that the managers are seeing everyday on the training ground. Fan reaction blames the manager for not picking the player as if he's the solution to everything:
  • Kagawa is an amazing player and the best no.10 in the world, Moyes is just too stupid to realise it
  • Peireira is fantastic, did Jose not see how good he was against Wrexham in preseason? Clueless has been of a manager
  • Donny van de Beek is brilliant, Ole is awful. We need to get a good manger in to get the best out of Donny
It's hard to think of any period of 3-4 games where Donny has impressed. heck it's actually hard to think of one game. Got a feeling he'll be back to Ajax before long.
Harsh on Kagawa, who had some really impressive games in his first (pre-Moyes) season. Donny has never shown more than the very occasional glimpse.

CM

It's a shame McNeil has just joined Everton, we might've been able to get a respectable fee out of them for van de Beek if they had the finances for it. It seems pointless keeping him now we've got Fernandes and Eriksen.

Arth_

Lingard, Pereira, Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Fellaini, Cleverley, Kagawa. Don't mind me, just listing all midfielders with underwhelming careers in Man United shirt in recent years, who were still better than Donny...

He is just such a nothing player, isn't he? Spends 90 minutes hiding from the ball, and if by a freak accident he still somehow gets it then he just passes it back to where it came from. Doesn't contribute defensively, leaving all the work for his midfield partners. Not creative. Not hard-working. Not quick nor strong. If he's good technically then he doesn't show it. Breaths with his mouth.

Really, we should just cut our loses and get rid of him as fast as we can. No point in wasting time on him, I'd much rather give minutes to the likes of Garner, Hannibal, Shoretire, Savage and Iqbal, even if they are not fully ready. But at least with those guys you can see some resemblance of a professional footballers.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
ETH must be wondering what happened to Donnie. Seems broken. Doesn't play with a smile at all.

We would take a huge loss selling him. Donnie's Youtube English adventure highlight videos have seriously got to be the shortest videos ever in Guinness records or YT records.

But he is taking up a slot in the squad which really needs to go to some academy kid.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
ETH must be wondering what happened to Donnie. Seems broken. Doesn't play with a smile at all.

We would take a huge loss selling him. Donnie's Youtube English adventure highlight videos have seriously got to be the shortest videos ever in Guinness records or YT records.

But he is taking up a slot in the squad which really needs to go to some academy kid.
I don’t think that will be an issue this season. Looks like plenty of academy kids will be involved. ETH has even promoted Isaac Hansen-Aaoren to train with the first team so it seems he is across the academy and knows what is going on.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
It's a shame McNeil has just joined Everton, we might've been able to get a respectable fee out of them for van de Beek if they had the finances for it. It seems pointless keeping him now we've got Fernandes and Eriksen.
That assumes they are all fighting for the 10 position. I think it will be more nuanced than that- Donny and Eriksen can drop to 8, depending on formation anyone of them can play wide to the right of midfield. He needs to recapture a bit of form under this coaching setup that knows him so well though, he has been badly mismanaged in his time here. Pressure is on to perform.

UpWithRivers

Another example of a good player that just doesnt work and we will hang on and hope and pray and discuss for years on end. Same as Pogba, Lingard. Mata...you can just keep going. You can make excuse after excuse after excuse for a player but we need to learn when to cut our losses. If you are that good you will find a way to break through no matter the manager or the system. We could have sold for 20 ish and get Tielemans, Bissouma, laimer for similar price. We dont need him.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Another example of a good player that just doesnt work and we will hang on and hope and pray and discuss for years on end. Same as Pogba, Lingard. Mata...you can just keep going. You can make excuse after excuse after excuse for a player but we need to learn when to cut our losses. If you are that good you will find a way to break through no matter the manager or the system. We could have sold for 20 ish and get Tielemans, Bissouma, laimer for similar price. We dont need him.
I agree with your point, a transfer that is not worked out. We have to get in the habit of getting rid of players, when it’s quite visible it won’t work.
For he is not as good as his competition in the (Eriksen and Bruno), that backup role should be for an academy lad. The club is wasting money here and stalling a potential good player from the academy.

quirkey

Tbf Mata was never a problem.

UpWithRivers

Tbf Mata was never a problem.
Mata was always a problem. Thats why he spent a sht load of his United career on the RW when he is not a RW and also he never fit our style of play. I love Mata but he should have left years ago back to Spain or Italy. Slower football with lots of link up play and passing.

CM

That assumes they are all fighting for the 10 position. I think it will be more nuanced than that- Donny and Eriksen can drop to 8, depending on formation anyone of them can play wide to the right of midfield. He needs to recapture a bit of form under this coaching setup that knows him so well though, he has been badly mismanaged in his time here. Pressure is on to perform.
I get your point but Donny hasn't ever looked at home in any position for us - be that 6, 8 or 10. We have two players who are better than him in his best position, we'd simply be keeping him to make up numbers in midfield.

As unpopular as McTominay and Fred are among the fan base, van de Beek has never been able to break in ahead of them either. With a few managers as well.

We'll likely sign another midfielder before the end of the window, and that leaves him in the same purgatory he's already been in for a couple of years. Scraping the barrel for a couple of minutes at the end of Premier League matches and the odd uneventful outing in the early rounds of domestic cups and Europa League. We're better off selling.

Bobski

He has to be a goal threat to make an impact here. Especially with Eriksen and Bruno being more creative options it will be his clever movement and instincts around the box that has the potential to make a place for him. Might get a few games in a sort of false 9/10 hybrid if Utd don't secure another attacker or they can get rid of Ronaldo?

Bobski

Much better today so far, showing his quick continuity play, and has done well in closing and getting a foot in. Ball is moving and he is keeping it flowing.

Bobski

Played well in the first half
Yes, high up, bouncing the ball back to the one who gave it to him.

One of the frustrating things about him is that when he gets space to turn in midfield and get his head up he looks really uncomfortable, always looks for the short 5 yard pass and then the run into the box when a player with a greater passing range of creativity might look to make something happen. Makes him very one dimensional and reliant on combinations.

Roux

Really enjoyed watching him and Eriksen - they have a good understanding.

Morpheus 7

Poor pre season, give away the ball too much today. He's not taken his chance to nail down place for start, shame.

Bobski

Generally much better and more involved, though some of his positioning contributed to Utd being so open through midfield, but the first time all pre-season where you could think he might have something to offer.

Bobski

Did a lot of good defensive work in midfield. Showed why so many people (including me) think he should have been given opportunities ahead of McT.
Did a lot of good pressing and trying (and suceeding at times) to win the ball, but was all over the place positonally and a big part of why Rayo had so much space through midfield.

Blood Mage

Underrated performance today, he pressed well throughout and pulled off some nice one touch passes. He's an unflashy, subtle footballer who's never going to be anyone's favourite but he's the best deep-lying midfielder we have currently IMO (that's not saying much of course).

Status
Not open for further replies.