e-petition to release the govt Hillsborough files

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I think he views this prospective apology as a way to continue his media work. To be honest though, there's no way he should have been employed by the BBC, Sky et al post-Hillsborough in the first place. Mackenzie's the epitome of all that's wrong with newspaper culture in the UK.

Kelvin Mackenzie said:
"All I did wrong there was tell the truth."

"There was a surge of Liverpool fans who had been drinking and that is what caused the disaster. The only thing different we did was put it under the headline 'The Truth'.

"I went on The World at One the next day and apologised. I only did that because Rupert Murdoch told me to. I wasn't sorry then and I'm not sorry now because we told the truth."

204Red

He really does love the sound of his own voice.

Its a pity he is alive to use it while the 96 people he disgraced are not.

JFT 96.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Hillsborough: South Yorkshire Police won't apologise to Kelvin MacKenzie

Current South Yorkshire Police Chief Constable David Crompton issued a statement today nwhich said: "SYP have received a letter from Kelvin MacKenzie's lawyers, which demands the force makes an apology to him.

"We have publicly apologised to the Hillsborough families and the Liverpool fans but we will not apologise to Mr MacKenzie.

"He chose to write his own headline and he should accept responsibility for it."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...olice-wont-apologise-to-Kelvin-MacKenzie.html

Drifter

American
Looks like things are about heat up.

The police watchdog and director of public prosecutions are to launch investigations into possible crimes committed in the wake of the Hillsborough disaster, it has been announced.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) said a large number of serving and former officers would be investigated over what happened on the day of the tragedy in 1989, and during the alleged cover-up afterwards.

The IPCC said both serving and former officers would be investigated.

The probes will consider if individuals or corporate bodies should be charged.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-19922092

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
The FA & Sheffield Wednesday Football Club coming closer to the furnace now after yesterday's debate in Parliament.

Andy Burnham, Rosie Cooper, plus a few other MP's, put the spotlight on both parties.

Burnham - "The HIP presents football with failings of the first order - Hillsborough was a ground operating outside of the law. Neither SWFC or the FA have answered questions as to why this was allowed to happen"

The near tragedy at the same end 8 years earlier between Spurs & Wolves was also mentioned, & questions why nothing was done then to prevent the 1989 disaster.

Burnham - "Hillsborough is a story of abuse of power & class - We need to make this a moment of change"

Maria Eagle seems to have pretty much destroyed 'Sir' Norman Bettison:
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/2012...llsborough-disaster-mps-told-100252-32084971/

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
The FA & Sheffield Wednesday Football Club coming closer to the furnace now after yesterday's debate in Parliament.

Andy Burnham, Rosie Cooper, plus a few other MP's, put the spotlight on both parties.

Burnham - "The HIP presents football with failings of the first order - Hillsborough was a ground operating outside of the law. Neither SWFC or the FA have answered questions as to why this was allowed to happen"

The near tragedy at the same end 8 years earlier between Spurs & Wolves was also mentioned, & questions why nothing was done then to prevent the 1989 disaster.

Burnham - "Hillsborough is a story of abuse of power & class - We need to make this a moment of change"

Maria Eagle seems to have pretty much destroyed 'Sir' Norman Bettison:
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/2012...llsborough-disaster-mps-told-100252-32084971/
Let's not forget that 1444 police officers' names have been passed onto the IPCC as well.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Devastatingly, the mother of Kevin Williams (who could and should have been saved at Hillsborough) - Anne Williams, has been diagnosed with terminal cancer. A petition has been set up in order to try and bring forward the date on which the inquest into her son's death will be held, so that she can hopefully see justice before she passes:

https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/40925

Every signature counts.

Dave89

Was at a lecture last night by Phil Scraton of the Hillsborough Independent Panel, fascinating insight. Will post a bit more on it later on.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Devastatingly, the mother of Kevin Williams (who could and should have been saved at Hillsborough) - Anne Williams, has been diagnosed with terminal cancer. A petition has been set up in order to try and bring forward the date on which the inquest into her son's death will be held, so that she can hopefully see justice before she passes:

https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/40925

Every signature counts.
Bumping this up. Over 2500 people browsing the caf now, don't forget to sign the petition if you haven't already.

Waltraute

She-Devil
Was at a lecture last night by Phil Scraton of the Hillsborough Independent Panel, fascinating insight. Will post a bit more on it later on.
I'm looking forward to it, PJ.
And I'll urge everyone to read Hillsborough: The Truth, if you haven't already.

Bump to remind everyone to sign the petition.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
Guys, can I urge everyone who hasnt signed the petition to please do so. Anne Williams is dying in a Southport hospice and hasnt got long left. If we make a concerted effort, we can give this brave woman her dying wish- an inquest into her son's death.

The caf is an amazing place full of generous people and I know we can help make this happen. Thank you :)

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
100,000 signatures now been reached. Time is of the essence now. The initial verdict of accidental death needs to overturned to one of unlawful killing. This is what Anne Williams has been campaigning for over the past 23 years. Her son Kevin, & a lot of others, could have been saved that day. A lot of people have a case to answer as to why they weren't.

Thanks once again for all your help.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
100,000 signatures now been reached. Time is of the essence now. The initial verdict of accidental death needs to overturned to one of unlawful killing. This is what Anne Williams has been campaigning for over the past 23 years. Her son Kevin, & a lot of others, could have been saved that day. A lot of people have a case to answer as to why they weren't.

Thanks once again for all your help.
Thanks for the update - I pray it isn't too late :(