Eden Hazard 16/17 Performances

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I think the goal he scored today is being overplayed. Redknapp said we'll look back for years at that goal.

Did well to outmuscle Cocklun. Then it's just good from there.

And before anyone says, no we probably don't have a player who could do the same. Martial, Rashford and maybe Mikhi are capable of it but haven't done it.

It's a good goal. Not great, like Sky are making out.

gorky_utd

We missed out on him for 6 mil agent fee. Now compare it with the amount of money we spend now a days.

OohAahMartial

Th
I think the goal he scored today is being overplayed. Redknapp said we'll look back for years at that goal.

And before anyone says, no we probably don't have a player who could do the same. Martial, Rashford and maybe Mikhi are capable of it but haven't done it.

Think 5 players tried to stop him. And considering the occasion it was one hell of a goal.

Zoo

We missed out on him for 6 mil agent fee. Now compare it with the amount of money we spend now a days.
He was always choosing Chelsea, for London and they were European champions at the time.

Bubz27

I'm including those who should have stopped him at the start.
They either tried to stop him, or they didn't. Only 2 players tried and Hazard did well to muscle one off the ball. The other (Koscielny I think) got a foot on it barely and it fell kindly back to Hazard.

It was a good goal

m1y2

it was about the principles, fergie didnt want to overpay at that time and fight against the power of agents, now we know they are just too powerful not to cooperate with. Times change

Francoruud

Supports
Chelsea
He always seems to be playing with injuries when he's not in good form.
As someone pointed out already, he's one of the most fouled (if not THE most fouled) players in Europe by a mile. The injuries he gets aren't serious enough to take him out for weeks or months but enough to impact his form negatively. Despite that, a playing-with-an-injury Hazard is still very crucial to our attack and the space he opens up for others, etc. So he plays through it.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
He was mentioned numerous times in the players you don't rate thread.

Sure he had a disastrous season in jose's last year and he probably should score more but he is damn good .

Hazard
Sanchez
Pogba
KDB
Costa
Aguero

In that order for me right now.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
He's got the talent, i don't think he's got the mentality. Might end up a poor man's ribery.
Ribery was a beast between 2012 and 2014 though. Top 5 in the world easily. Hazard would do well to reach that level
That timeframe mostly coincides with Heynckes' tenure at Bayern, whose style of play suited Ribery very well. During van Gaal's and Guardiola's spells with their stricter rules on offensive movement, he had a much harder time finding his game. Injury troubles were a large factor too, of course. But when I saw him this season under Ancelotti, he looked lively again, despite his now usual fitness issues.

So I think that a lot of the things that are so often reduced to 'form', 'attitude', 'mentality' etc. have more to do with the question if a certain setup actually suits the player's strengths or not. If it puts him in positions that bring out the best of his game. A players' overall quality and personality doesn't change drastically in just a few months, but the general tactical cohesion of his team may very well do. Just compare Pedro last season with Pedro this season. Or David Luiz during his first Chelsea spell and now under Conte.

I don't think Hazard ever had a really fitting environment in the past, neither with Chelsea nor Belgium. Despite his massive individual skills, he is a team player first, an individualist only in second place. Much more Spanish in style than (classical) English.

But even when Chelsea were good in the PL under Mourinho, they played something between uninspired and negative football in Europe. Conte's 3-4-3 is the first manifestation of a Chelsea team that I can see having constant offensive fluidity in big games in Europe, which is the environment Hazard thrives on. Same goes for Martinez' recently installed 3-4-3 for Belgium, which looked good offensively so far.

So I'd wait for another season (because of CL participation) & the WC for a judgement.

Last edited:

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
Excellent today. Great response after his abysmal Liverpool game - and by extension the past 2 games previous.
I still maintain the Liverpool game wasn't bad. He just got zero support & didn't get enough touches.

He really is injured though & when you get battered every game like he is. That's no surprise.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Perhaps there is credence in that, and being the most fouled player around probably affects quick footed wingers more than anybody else but it's still a bit wishy-washy for me. Lends too much support to a player who in my view is far too casual or relaxed in relation to his skill level when he needs to consistently be taking games by the scruff of their neck.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Perhaps there is credence in that, and being the most fouled player around probably affects quick footed wingers more than anybody else but it's still a bit wishy-washy for me. Lends too much support to a player who in my view is far too casual or relaxed in relation to his skill level when he needs to consistently be taking games by the scruff of their neck.
He is definitely world class on his day, but his day isn't often enough for him to be a world class player.
I doubt you'll find more than a handful of players in European football performing on (at least) the same level as Hazard this season. Two years ago he was the Premier League's undisputed POTY. Last year will always a subject of discussion, but I don't buy that whole lazy/weak stereotype about him.

Last edited:

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Not even the best Chelsea player this season forget "by a decent margin".
Perhaps I should replace "best" with "most talented".

An in form Hazard is absolutely unplayable and can do things no other player in the Prem can, IMO.

Today was just another example of this.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
This happens frequently, it's like a Hazard boom-bust cycle. He'll have a few good games on the trot, then one or two excellent games, resulting in buzzwords and phrases like 'an in form Hazard is absolutely unplayable' and 'can do things no other player in the Prem can.' Then he'll have a fair few average/below par performances and things will go a bit quiet. Rinse and repeat for a season or two.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

This is an understatmeent, I didn't watch the match but heard about the goal as if it was one of the best in the season. I was left a bit disappointed after viewing it.

Bubz27

This is an understatmeent, I didn't watch the match but heard about the goal as if it was one of the best in the season. I was left a bit disappointed after viewing it.
Exactly. It was talked about as a goal we'll talk about for years, and it really won't. Even got a bit lucky with the ricochet.

Similar to the Ronaldo goal V Fulham where dribbled from his own half. Very good, not great. I'm not saying it doesn't take talent to score that goal, but it's been overplayed.

kouroux

He dribbled the ball from in his own half to score, that hardly ever happens. Was a great goal
Good goal, not great. What would have made it great if he didn't get that lucky bounce from Koscielny. A great goal is what Maradona or Messi did. Great dribbling from start to finishing.

Eddy_JukeZ

Yeah that goal is being overrated. It was a good goal, but there's been plenty of better solo goals in the Prem the past few years.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Good goal, not great. What would have made it great if he didn't get that lucky bounce from Koscielny. A great goal is what Maradona or Messi did. Great dribbling from start to finishing.
If that's how high your bar is then there's only been about 10 great goals ever scored!

I'm a lot less picky!

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
No, that's not how high I'm placing the bar. Hazard's scored a good goal but it wasn't clean IMHO, take off your blue specs.
It was a sensational goal. Especially in a big game against derby rivals.

Claiming it's a bad goal because he bullied & shrugged off Coquelin is bizarre.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
It was but Coquelin really should have taken him out.
And about 4 England players really should have taken out Maradona back in 86 but they couldn't. That's what makes Maradona's one of the best goals ever scored and Hazard bouncing Coq to the floor makes his goal better, not worse.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Good goal because he still had to dribble the ball 40 odd yards and apply the finish but Coquelin, Koscielny and Cech were barely at pub level in it.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
And about 4 England players really should have taken out Maradona back in 86 but they couldn't. That's what makes Maradona's one of the best goals ever scored and Hazard bouncing Coq to the floor makes his goal better, not worse.
Exactly. You can pin-point bad defending for just about every solo goal scored if you want to be picky.

kouroux

It was a sensational goal. Especially in a big game against derby rivals.

Claiming it's a bad goal because he bullied & shrugged off Coquelin is bizarre.
Who the feck said it was a bad goal :lol:, you're so biased you're inventing things. It is a good goal, definitely not la crème de la crème though/

RooneyLegend

It was a great goal what are people on about? You don't normally see a player take the ball from inside his own half, beat a man, shrug off the oppositions most physical midfielder and then beat one of the best defenders in a 1v1. skill, power, pace, skill and then finish.

Zoo

I think Coquelin really was poor in this situation, there is no other reason for him to be in the team as he is just a clogger but he didn't do his job here. Neville was criticising Koscielny but when Hazard gets into full flow he is very difficult to stop which is why Coquelin should have stopped the move at the source.

El Jefe

Definitely a great goal for me. Received the ball in his half and made an absolute mockery of Coquelin and Koscielny before tucking the ball away.

You don't see goals like that often especially in big games in the PL.

jungledrums

No, that's not how high I'm placing the bar. Hazard's scored a good goal but it wasn't clean IMHO, take off your blue specs.
It was a great goal. Don't need blue specs to see that.

Beautiful player to watch when in full flight.

Francoruud

Supports
Chelsea
Love the technique to play the ball into the ground even when it wasn't in the air. Gave it a bounce that's sure to confuse just about any goalkeeper. Great finish.

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
He really needs to batter shitty teams. We are in an era now where numbers are seemingly more important than peformances/impact. People tend to just look at his goals+assists and compare them to other WC players around and find him not that great.

He always looks to me like doing the least he has to do to win the game. Like he has a higher gear that he only switches into when he absolutely has to (and wants to). Whereas the likes of Suarez or Sanchez are always on. If he switches into that type of mentality, he has the talent to be the best in the world (when Messi is older!)

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Imho i think some ppl are trying too hard to downplay a great goal, probably one of the best well see this month.
Also saying he is not a world class player? Not unplayable on his day? What are you guys smoking. Not the most consistent ever and it has been clearly stated on this forum he isnt and probably will never be in the messi/Ronaldo tier, but he definitively is on the below tier when on form, and this year he will be in the premier team of the season unless he gets injured or has a brain stroke like last season... not world class? Christ on a bike...