Eden Hazard 16/17 Performances

Skills

Snitch
annoying player. How can you look yourself in the mirror after downing your tools last season, yet you can still play like this?
Yeah I can't really take him too seriously after last season. How many players have completely fallen apart like that and written off a complete season in their prime?

Skills

Snitch
" Hazard was too expensive, Kagawa was value." Die a little every time I remember that quote.
Did you see him last season? Imagine how he would've been in the last 3 seasons under Van Gaal and Moyes? Probably would've been sold on for like £15m after Van Gaals first season.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah I can't really take him too seriously after last season. How many players have completely fallen apart like that and written off a complete season in their prime?
He was injured ffs. Mourinho forced him to play because he was in desperation mode. He was back to being the best player in the League again once he finally was given months to recuperate.

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Don't you think Kanté's been your most important player?!

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Don't you think Kanté's been your most important player?!
Both he and Matic have been excellent this season and allow the whole team to function as well as it has.

MounchesterUtd

Even at his lowest last year, I've always been of the opinion that he's a great player and one of the best at the moment

That being said, in a hypothetical situation where I'm in charge of signing players for say a Barca, I'd have trust issues at how he just threw away one year of his career just because he lost faith in his manager

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Concerning last season, I think there's way too much emphasis on Hazard's psychology and too little on the way the team was set up around him. There are distinct tactical reasons for Hazard's individual performances last season and his resurgence under Conte.

Conte about Hazard:
Eden is playing now more close to the goal. He’s participating more in offensive situations. I think it’s better for him, this type of situation, which sees him staying in a position where he can finish easier compared to in the past. For this reason, I think and I want him to continue in this way.
When I saw Chelsea last season, Hazard often dropped deep in CM positions to collect the ball and bring it forward. He was responsible for most of Chelsea's offensive play and creativity, while getting little support from a static and uninspired team. It was a two-man job and he did that job very well in those games, but of course it affected his end product. He got lots of stick in internet forums afterwards, despite actually doing vital work on a high level, simply because it was different than what people expected. So they didn't see it.

Doesn't mean he was stellar, but it's a different explanation why he wasn't. (It was exactly the same for Belgium, by the way.)

On the basis of these experiences, I suspect that a large part of the notions that Hazard 'did nothing', 'didn't care' or 'was useless' that season might actually be a myth. If in addition the rumours are true that he had to play through parts of the season not being fit, there'd be even less to complain.

Another quote from Conte:
Also, I found a player who is working very well without the ball, working very well with the team. This is very appreciated by his teammates.
Contrary to the frequent claims of laziness he's a very active pressing player and he holds his position in the defensive formation much better than a couple of other superstars I've seen lately.

http://www.espnfc.com/chelsea/story...in-chelseas-new-3-4-3-formation-antonio-conte

Eddy_JukeZ

Hazard is incredible when he wants to be.

But 3rd best ever PL player is pure hyperbole.

AllezLesDiables

Not sure why this myth continues to exist. Hazard had injuries last season and Mourinho didn't help things by overusing Eden.

He didn't quit on the team. This was borne out by his form to the end last season.

jungledrums

He should be there fighting Neymar for the next Ballon D'Or after the current two.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
He's getting back to his old self under Conte, which is a shame for the rest of us.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
He was given far too much responsibility under Mourinho. He was tasked with being one of the main cogs in our build-up play along with Fabregas - you'd often see him dropping into his own half to start attacks, he had to drive to team down the pitch with his dribbling ability, he was our chief playmaker, he was expected to be our secondary goalscorer after Costa AND he of course had to track back & follow the fullbacks runs.

That's an insane amount of workload & responsibility to give to one player & it's no surprise the team collapsed once his form plummeted because of injuries/fatigue. We were utterly reliant on him, he was essentially our system.

His role under Conte has completely changed. He's virtually playing as a striker right now & regularly takes up positions in the pitch higher than Costa. He's basically a false 9 these days.
whereas under Jose he was operating deeper. Which is why I couldn't help but laugh whenever people critiqued his goalscoring record.

I'm not in the least bit surprised he's currently having his best scoring season under Conte while Jose failed to improve his tally. The team plays for Hazard now instead of the other way around.

Last edited:

bio202

Supports
liverpool
The Prem is blessed with top number tens atm and he's right up there. Lovely player to watch.

Him, ozil, De bruyne, courtinio, Sanchez. You could list a dozen and all playing wonderful football right now.

ZAGREB RED

The Prem is blessed with top number tens atm and he's right up there. Lovely player to watch.

Him, ozil, De bruyne, courtinio, Sanchez. You could list a dozen and all playing wonderful football right now.
Unfortunately none at United just now, hopefully Myhkitaryian will rectify that sonner rather than later.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
@BlueCelery very interesting.

His change this season is quite like Ozil's for us too.
Recently read an article about Wenger telling Ozil to make more striker runs & change his mentality into a goalscorer. Basically Bergkamp who was a 10+ goal a season player before he hit his thirties whilst being the best playmaker in the country.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Let's calm down and have this conversation at the end of season. The last season of Bale ranks as one of the best ever individual seasons by a Premier League player and is up there with Henry 03/04, Ronaldo 07/08, RVP 11/12 and Suarez 13/14. Hazard needs to string more of these performances before it warrants a conversation like that.
You should probably calm yourself down a bit. Bale in 12/13(?) was nowhere near Henry, Suarez etc.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
You should probably calm yourself down a bit. Bale in 12/13(?) was nowhere near Henry, Suarez etc.
why not? :wenger: He scored 21 goals from midfield and was scoring match winners after match winners from improbable range when his team needed them. He almost dragged them to a CL spot and it took a Koscielny winner at Newcastle on last days to deny them. Just because his performances came for a fifth place side rather than title contenders (as in case of Henry and Suarez) doesn't mean his achievements should be downplayed. He became a genuine world beater that season which reflected as he sweeped all the player awards and subsequently moved to Real Madrid for a world record fee.

Righteous Steps

why not? :wenger: He scored 21 goals from midfield and was scoring match winners after match winners from improbable range when his team needed them. He almost dragged them to a CL spot and it took a Koscielny winner at Newcastle on last days to deny them. Just because his performances came for a fifth place side rather than title contenders (as in case of Henry and Suarez) doesn't mean his achievements should be downplayed. He became a genuine world beater that season which reflected as he sweeped all the player awards and subsequently moved to Real Madrid for a world record fee.
It wasn't really near, both players combined better goalscoring than Bale with playmaking abilities he could only dream off.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He wasn't much of a midfielder.

Comparing his season to Henry or Suarez is an insult the latter two. While Bale was great and scored some scorchers, his general play was miles worse than the other two. He was mostly an impact player compared all round complete footballers like Henry and Suarez.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
Very overrated season. Kane, Mahrez last year was more impressive & calling him a midfielder is absurd.

D2Z

Supports
Undercover "Chelsea fan" ;)
We’re seeing a more self-assured Hazard, and it’s elevating his whole team to a new level. The trust is beginning to build in this Chelsea side, and they will probably challenge at the right end of the table once again. It seems a case of round pegs, round holes under Conte. Now that [Irrelevant point] is on the left side of Chelsea’s four-man midfield playing as a wing-back , it definitely is a side with more balance. Conte is getting his players to operate in areas they’re familiar with, therefore he is getting the best out of his players. And it’s working best for Hazard who loves playing more centrally which now he is repaying Conte’s faith in him for playing him in there. He looks as dangerous as he’s ever been, not only supporting Diego Costa in attack but playing further forward than him at times.

salford_

Still the best in his role in the prem. Id have him over Ozil Sanchez, Mkhitaryan, Silva, Mata, and KdB when he's bang at it. Him and Aguero are the prems best overall players.

I think when he leaves chelsea (Although fully expect him to stay another 2-3yrs easily with Conte) he will be the next player to fetch Bale, Suarez level money

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The way he turns under pressure is incredible. What a player.

CM

He was injured ffs. Mourinho forced him to play because he was in desperation mode. He was back to being the best player in the League again once he finally was given months to recuperate.
While the former may be true in part, Hazard never was and still isn't the best player in the league.

Womp

idiot
He's an immense footballer, but even though I don't really pay much attention to him off the field he gives off the aura of being a cnut.

One of the big clubs will come in for him soon enough.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
While the former may be true in part, Hazard never was and still isn't the best player in the league.
He was easily the best in the league when we won the title and I'd say he's been the second best so far this season after Costa.

Real will come calling...
Or faxing...
Just look at the fees we've received for players we've sold recently. The club have taken in hundreds of millions in sales for players we weren't even using. Now imagine how much we'd demand for our best player.

Unless Real Madrid are willing to fork over £120m or something insane they aren't getting him.

He's an immense footballer, but even though I don't really pay much attention to him off the field he gives off the aura of being a cnut.

One of the big clubs will come in for him soon enough.
He's not a cnut at all. He's a really humble and shy guy on camera in interviews and things like that. He's basically the class clown in behind the scenes stuff, too. Doesn't seem to have an ego like other superstars.

Also, he's at a huge club now. So long as we're playing this well and he's enjoying his football I see no reason why he'd want to leave. Especially to go to Real Madrid where he isn't even nailed on to start every match.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Now usually I'd tend to agree however hazard is now at a level where he can definitely stake a claim to be the best in the league right now.

OL29

He was easily the best in the league when we won the title and I'd say he's been the second best so far this season after Costa.

Just look at the fees we've received for players we've sold recently. The club have taken in hundreds of millions in sales for players we weren't even using. Now imagine how much we'd demand for our best player.

Unless Real Madrid are willing to fork over £120m or something insane they aren't getting him.

He's not a cnut at all. He's a really humble and shy guy on camera in interviews and things like that. He's basically the class clown in behind the scenes stuff, too. Doesn't seem to have an ego like other superstars.

Also, he's at a huge club now. So long as we're playing this well and he's enjoying his football I see no reason why he'd want to leave. Especially to go to Real Madrid where he isn't even nailed on to start every match.
I'd say Alexis Sanchez has been a bit better this season although there's obviously not much in it.

Don't see why anyone would think he's a cnut though, I think he comes across as fairly likeable to be honest both on and off the pitch.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
I'd say Alexis Sanchez has been a bit better this season although there's obviously not much in it.

Don't see why anyone would think he's a cnut though, I think he comes across as fairly likeable to be honest both on and off the pitch.
Yeah, Sanchez has been right up there. Both unplayable when on form.

Hazard was unstoppable today.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea

When you coalesce the mesmeric prowess and artistry of Eden Hazard is there anyone better to observe in world football? The expertise he possesses is beyond our time and very nature. His rise in football has been meteoric and remarkable and he will inevitably continue to subjugate the world of football. The poignancy and soul-stirring of his abnormal talent will carry on overwhelming footballing nations of all backgrounds and cultures with emotions and nostalgic everlasting memories. He's broadcasted his mastery in every single way fathomable. The close control, the feints, the intelligence, the speed of thought, the elastic dribbling, the weight of pass, the timing of the pass, the movement, the elegance, the flair, the agility, the leadership, the core strength, the absolute pure technique etc. There's nothing more to say. Best in the world.