Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Twice if we don’t count when he declares himself unfit.

Yes they are. Generally everyone is allowed the same amount of time off.

Rangnick said he wouldn’t have started. Doesn’t mean he couldn’t be in the squad. Training is also important. We also have a game on Tuesday.
Yes, generally at least for us mortals, although footballers are on individual contracts so there's the possibility of some variance. I'd suspect that more established pros might negotiate a bit more time off or other benefits.

That said even at my work there are different allocations based on years of service and/or job level and they let us "buy*" additional time off if we want it.

*get paid less.

acnumber9

Yes, generally at least for us mortals, although footballers are on individual contracts so there's the possibility of some variance. I'd suspect that more established pros might negotiate a bit more time off or other benefits. I’d being willing to bet he’s not taking unpaid leave either.

That said even at my work there are different allocations based on years of service and/or job level and they let us "buy*" additional time off if we want it.

*get paid less.
You’re tying yourself in illogical knots here. There will be nothing in his contract that says he gets extra time off, he won’t be getting extra days for years of service because he’s only been here 18 months.

He’s been given days off because the club have been too soft with him and he’s used to getting special treatment. Let’s not pretend this is anything other than what it is.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
lingard gets guff cause his lack of productivity is in stark contrast to his delusions of importance and worth. He should have been gone seasons ago...he moans about not getting a chance, trying to stir shit on social mediaand then, whether told by the club or not, passes up the first genuine opportunity for 90 minutes in months. He is a joke.

Martial has had his attitude publicly questioned by multiple managers as well as being evidenced by his lack of consistency and game time under numerous managers. His sulking after the shirt number incident is the complete opposite of Cavani’s attitude to Ronaldo even though Cavani’s standing in the game, the role the 7 shirt played in his initial signing and the implications in general of Utd signing an almost direct replacement certain of taking the majority of his playing time, made Cavani’s pill a much more bitter one to swallow. It’s night and day.

Pogba, people are just sick of the guy. 5 years of mediocrity and a look of indifference when you need him most makes the average fan understandably cold towards someone. On the other hand, Cavani, even when shit- puts in a shift...remember that...the basics of any Utd player - don’t get out worked by your opponent? Ferguson’s words not mine.

Cavani hasn’t set the club alight but let’s not embarrass ourselves here by saying that you question Cavani’s efforts for the club when fit?his execution is that of an injury prone 34 year old...his application is that of a hungry 20 year old. It’s quite remarkable in fact.

Regarding this bullshit of “declaring himself fit”... Cavani has been injury prone for god knows how long. He is trusted to know his own body because he is a top professional with a top attitude. Not my opinion. Read any number of comments from colleagues and managers about him...none of whom agree with the assessments many of you on here have made...except they have actually played and worked with him. It is the relationship he builds with people that allow them to trust his opinions on his fitness - if the medics/Ralf forced him to play you lot would be in here screaming blue murder about our medical team again and not knowing how to manage an injury prone 34 year old.

RR said himself...regarding Cavani coming to him and confirming his desire to stay at the club in December...
“This is, for me, good news because Edi is one of those players with his vast amount of experience, his mentality, his work ethic, who could really be a perfect role model for all the other players.”

Finally, why would he give a fuk about Utd in the same way as any of the players you mentioned? Has he been here since he was 7 like Jesse? Or was he brought in as a precocious teenager for huge money and persevered with by multiple managers while being paid an eye watering salary? Or was he raised in the academy, building bonds with staff from an early age only to return to the club for a record fee as the second coming? All those players have more intrinsic links to the club...yet give less effort where it counts...in training and on the pitch- it’s why even at 34...when fit...Cavani plays.

Cavani was bought as a super sub stop gap.He has done that just fine...and showed a fantastic attitude by all accounts of the only people who can truly comment on his attitude- those who have actually encountered him.

your post is rubbish.

ps: I’m not even a fan of the guy.
State of this post. A guy who’s done nothing for the club, quite openly wants to leave the club and regularly extends his breaks to miss games has more right to do so than Lingard who won us an FA Cup and Community shield, has had great periods in his time and scored important goals. Martial who was a breath of fresh air when he first joined, player of the year two seasons ago and Pogba who won us EL, has been one of our best players every season he’s been here and performance wise has performed on a different level to Cavani……because your feel Cavani ‘runs a lot’. That’s it ? Absolutely ridiculous take.

He’s here for the money, hasn’t earned it and can’t wait to leave.

Dr. Dwayne

You’re tying yourself in illogical knots here. There will be nothing in his contract that says he gets extra time off, he won’t be getting extra days for years of service because he’s only been here 18 months.

He’s been given days off because the club have been too soft with him and he’s used to getting special treatment. Let’s not pretend this is anything other than what it is.
Not really. It's more likely that each player has an individualized contract rather than the club handing out standard contracts with defined time off allocations. But it could be either or and neither of us is privy to the club's HR policies so we can't know if the same standards are applied to players, coaching staff and the tea lady. For me, due to the specialized nature of the playing staff and the fact they are on unique, individualized contracts means it is more likely that some may insist on special treatment in certain areas in their contract. And if so, more established players are likely to get that special treatment versus others.

I've only given the years of service/job level example to show your statement "generally everyone is given the same time off" does not always apply. Employment law gives everyone the same amount of time off but companies can grant some employees larger allocations than others.

acnumber9

Not really. It's more likely that each player has an individualized contract rather than the club handing out standard contracts with defined time off allocations. But it could be either or and neither of us is privy to the club's HR policies so we can't know if the same standards are applied to players, coaching staff and the tea lady. For me, due to the specialized nature of the playing staff and the fact they are on unique, individualized contracts means it is more likely that some may insist on special treatment in certain areas in their contract. And if so, more established players are likely to get that special treatment versus others.

I've only given the years of service/job level example to show your statement "generally everyone is given the same time off" does not always apply. Employment law gives everyone the same amount of time off but companies can grant some employees larger allocations than others.
It’s incredibly unlikely that any players contracts grants them time off on a whim in the middle of the season. And you know that. Why are you pretending this is the norm?

Dr. Dwayne

It’s incredibly unlikely that any players contracts grants them time off on a whim in the middle of the season. And you know that. Why are you pretending this is the norm?
The norm is granting time off when requested if there is coverage. That seems to be the case here.

acnumber9

The norm is granting time off when requested if there is coverage. That seems to be the case here.
Yeah, happens in football all the time. That’s why he’s the only one that hasn’t been arsed coming back from internationally duty.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
people are going a bit OTT aren't they?

Did you all used to moan when Ji Sung Park would miss games becuase of jetlag too?

I'm sure he wants to play but they're just being realistic. I doubt he would have started anyway.
It’s not like this is the first time. He’s featured in 14 games in 7 months. He’s on about 200k a week.

edcunited1878

This thread has gone to shit.

He's made 14 appearances and contributed directly to 4 goals. His United teammate has appeared in 17 and has 6 goal contributions.

One isn't always available due to injury or whatever...the other just has been poor whenever he's played and hasn't put in the shifts Cavani does...yet here are people talking about Cavani's availability?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
There’s been rumours of him trying to get out ever since he’s been here. I get it, Cavani is a modern legend as a striker and when he does decide to bless us with his presence, he has been more decent than he has been terrible. But the double standards held for him, and certain other players are rightfully being pointed out by people in this thread.

Gandalf

Yeah, happens in football all the time. That’s why he’s the only one that hasn’t been arsed coming back from internationally duty.
You really seem to be unwilling to let this go.

If he had come back instantly he would not have been available for the FA Cup game as RR has stated players that played for their countries in Tuesdays fixtures will not be selected, this is also the case for Telles who did fly straight back. He therefore would not have been considered for inclusion until next Tuesday in the PL.

By staying an extra couple of days to visit his family he will next be available for, checks notes, next Tuesday in the PL. It literally made no difference that he stayed to visit family for a couple of days as he would have been given a break to recover anyway if he flown straight back. Your issue seems to be that you are offended he is spending a couple of days off with his family rather than sat in his rental house in Manchester which is just a very weird take.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It’s not like this is the first time. He’s featured in 14 games in 7 months. He’s on about 200k a week.
Most of that has been injuries though right? we knew he had injury troubles when we first signed him. Some of it has been international related.

Don't get me wrong it would be nice that he's available, but lets be honest he's starting on the bench anyway. If we really need Cavani off the bench against Middlesborough we've got bigger worries.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
As long as he asks for the time and the manager is ok with it, who the feck are we to criticize that ? It's not like he was gonna available for tonight's game. It's not like he went AWOL or something

Deery

Dreary

Shows a bit of passion to appease the fans then goes on his little breaks. Rinse and repeat.

The manager also encouraging this nonsense when we need the option.
He’s 34 and wants to finish his career, it’s our fault as much as anything getting him to stay on.

edcunited1878

Ralf knows Cavani is leaving after the season, it's a mutual understanding, plus Cavani is the consummate professional....Ralf even said so. He doesn't need to babysit him nor instruct him like he's a youth player. It's always been whether or not Cavani is fit for selection and trying to watch his minutes.

SonyaCross493

Bless Cavani. I guess making 14 club appearences in 6 months for Utd is too much for him on his astronomical wages (go Google they are not cheap!) that no other top club wanted to pay and go near him with a bargepole (because of his injury record and age) but United gave him a chance :rolleyes:

he should be more grateful and loyal not act like he's doing United a favour.. Yes he's a fan favourite because of his energy and work rate when he plays but that doesn't give him a free pass to pick and choose when he plays.. If Martial or Pogba did the same the fanbase would be rightly outraged getting the pitchforks out for a witch-hunt and he would probably be booed (I don't want Cavani or any player booed I'm just explaining the ridiculous double standards the fanbase has based on different footballers perceived body language in how they are treated differently by the fanbase)

what if Rashford or Ronaldo got injured or got Covid and need Cavani!? We as fans and the manager can't rely on Cavani so maybe it's best he leaves the club.. Manchester United are not a charity and shouldn't be treat like one by any player.

it's not the first time Cavani has treated the club like this either. There are many examples throughout his time here of Cavani for whatever reason picking and choosing when he plays (psychological or just not feeling 100% when most players play through injury or with pain killing injections). I don't think Cavani would be allowed to get away with it if Fergie was manager. But maybe he wouldn't do it then.

I've always said there was a reason PSG let him leave for free. Not very often a top club makes a mistake like that. And now we have seen why that PSG was proven right..

Last edited:

acnumber9

You really seem to be unwilling to let this go.

If he had come back instantly he would not have been available for the FA Cup game as RR has stated players that played for their countries in Tuesdays fixtures will not be selected, this is also the case for Telles who did fly straight back. He therefore would not have been considered for inclusion until next Tuesday in the PL.

By staying an extra couple of days to visit his family he will next be available for, checks notes, next Tuesday in the PL. It literally made no difference that he stayed to visit family for a couple of days as he would have been given a break to recover anyway if he flown straight back. Your issue seems to be that you are offended he is spending a couple of days off with his family rather than sat in his rental house in Manchester which is just a very weird take.
Mostly because it’s not a one off and people are making stupid excuses for him. Him not being able to play tonight and staying in Uruguay not making a difference only applies if we ignore the fact that being in Uruguay means he also isn’t in training. Or does training not matter anymore? Staying in Uruguay also makes him less likely to be ready for our next game.

Last edited:

captaincantona

State of this post. A guy who’s done nothing for the club, quite openly wants to leave the club and regularly extends his breaks to miss games has more right to do so than Lingard who won us an FA Cup and Community shield, has had great periods in his time and scored important goals. Martial who was a breath of fresh air when he first joined, player of the year two seasons ago and Pogba who won us EL, has been one of our best players every season he’s been here and performance wise has performed on a different level to Cavani……because your feel Cavani ‘runs a lot’. That’s it ? Absolutely ridiculous take.

He’s here for the money, hasn’t earned it and can’t wait to leave.
Not sure if serious....

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Not sure if serious....
Yes I’m not sure why you’d be unsure. Cavani has done nothing to receive special treatment. He’d be long gone if he had his way. All the others have done something of absolute worth in their time. I’d still be pissed if they took time off because dog died.

United in sin

Yes I’m not sure why you’d be unsure. Cavani has done nothing to receive special treatment. He’d be long gone if he had his way. All the others have done something of absolute worth in their time. I’d still be pissed if they took time off because dog died.
I agree with your post. Cavani has been very professional every time he's played for us but he doesn't deserve special treatment of any kind. Sometimes I feel he's merely a guest player here considering all the liberties he's afforded off the pitch.

It reminds me of Schweinsteiger's time here, but Cavani has been more productive on the pitch and can still play a big role for our top four hopes.

KennyBurner

This comment still makes sense? Now you see why many are confused at how lax we are with him and his frequent days off even though he is still getting paid?

roseguy64

This comment still makes sense? Now you see why many are confused at how lax we are with him and his frequent days off even though he is still getting paid?
Are you using today's result against Cavani when Telles wasn't in the squad either?

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
We wouldn't have lost if cavani was on the pitch and got those many sitters to put away.

CloneMC16

This guy plays whenever he wants and our fans adore him :lol:

Tired of this club. If we had serious players that were under 30, spent less than half the season out injured, and actually wanted to play for the club, maybe things would be a little bit better.

The United

We wouldn't have lost if cavani was on the pitch and got those many sitters to put away.
That's the point though because he is hardly available when needed regardless of why he is absent.

And, he is hardly a lethal finisher himself.

captaincantona

What “special treatment”? That people like him? Like his effort when he plays? Not sure anyone is saying anything beyond that.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Brazil played later and Fred still made it back for training. Because he actually wanted to. That’s the important matter.
I take it you are not familiar with the vast difference between flight schedules to the UK form Brazil and from Uruguay. There's a frequency issue (at least 4x) and a directness/duration issue (at least 1.5x in the quickest option, else 2x or more).

Fred and Telles returned on Wednesday. Fred DID NOT play and Ralf counted with him. Telles DID play so got Friday off anyway.

Cavani was going to receive the Telles treatment, only difference is since he already was somewhere that takes absolute fecking ages to go to and it's sunny as opposed to Manchester right now, he asks for a couple more days to recharge. Fair fecks so long as he busts a gut when we do actually ask him to play for us, which he does.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Whats this notion about him declaring himself fit or not?
Originates on him being injury prone (we knew that) and his niggles are mostly the sort which only you know if you are ready or you'll collapse and need a sub within 20-30 minutes (I know this first hand having quit another sport after chronic recurring injuries).

When he does declare himself fit he puts in 110%, so managers trust he is making the right call. He's done that for years, we should have known that too surely, I know it from simple observation of how he works back to fitness after each injury and I don't get paid for knowing that sort of stuff.

He’s featured in 14 games in 7 months. He’s on about 200k a week.
I dislike that he can seemingly choose himself when he plays, it always seems that he chooses if he is fit or not, not the physio etc. it has been mentioned so many times in press conferences, Edi doesn't feel ready, blah, blah, blah, yet he always seems to make himself available for his country.
Uruguay has played 16 WCQ games:
  • He started 4
  • Came on as a sub in 3 and was available but unused 1 (i.e. fitness management across the double fixtures, rarely plays 2x90mins in a row)
  • Was injured and didn't travel for 4, all while contracted to us
  • Also didn't travel to 3 earlier this season due to COVID red list/quarantine yadda yadda
  • Was suspended for another
So it roughly looks like his availability for us and for internationals is pretty much the same but, yeah, go knock yourselves out, particularly the same usual suspects who went missing after he assisted Marcus last time out.

Bloody hell, can't wrap my head around this ridiculous habit of having a constant ongoing agenda against our own players. They just live rent-free in your minds, not that they want to, shite digs that they are.

acnumber9

I take it you are not familiar with the vast difference between flight schedules to the UK form Brazil and from Uruguay. There's a frequency issue (at least 4x) and a directness/duration issue (at least 1.5x in the quickest option, else 2x or more).

Fred and Telles returned on Wednesday. Fred DID NOT play and Ralf counted with him. Telles DID play so got Friday off anyway.

Cavani was going to receive the Telles treatment, only difference is since he already was somewhere that takes absolute fecking ages to go to and it's sunny as opposed to Manchester right now, he asks for a couple more days to recharge. Fair fecks so long as he busts a gut when we do actually ask him to play for us, which he does.
All the more reason to return to Manchester ASAP to do his job. Staying behind an extra couple of days doesn’t get him back quicker and we have a game on Tuesday.

red4ever 79

No point arguing about it guys. he is off in a few months and we can all move on. Get someone in who is available more frequently for the team and we will all be happier.

captaincantona

All the more reason to return to Manchester ASAP to do his job. Staying behind an extra couple of days doesn’t get him back quicker and we have a game on Tuesday.
Yes...let’s vent our frustrations at the one guy who always looks arsed when he plays. I’d much prefer he casually stroll around like the rest of the team and then make up for it on social media afterwards.

captaincantona

No point arguing about it guys. he is off in a few months and we can all move on. Get someone in who is available more frequently for the team and we will all be happier.
But that’s the point all detractors in here are casually ignoring...we had the intent of playing a frontline of Rashford, Martial, Greenwood and Sancho. Cavani was very much a plan B off the bench. He was never intended to be a starter or always be available hence why we looked past his injuries.

so why now are our fans bent out of shape that he is not available more? This is exactly what anyone who knew anything about Cavani at all expected of him. We are just in such a dire state that he has become a viable contender for our best attacker. That is in itself a damning indictment of where we find ourselves. Don’t blame Cavani for doing EXACTLY what it said on the tin. Top pro- dodgy finisher- class movement- unreliable fitness.

red4ever 79

But that’s the point all detractors in here are casually ignoring...we had the intent of playing a frontline of Rashford, Martial, Greenwood and Sancho. Cavani was very much a plan B off the bench. He was never intended to be a starter or always be available hence why we looked past his injuries.

so why now are our fans bent out of shape that he is not available more? This is exactly what anyone who knew anything about Cavani at all expected of him. We are just in such a dire state that he has become a viable contender for our best attacker. That is in itself a damning indictment of where we find ourselves. Don’t blame Cavani for doing EXACTLY what it said on the tin. Top pro- dodgy finisher- class movement- unreliable fitness.
Excuse me. Jog on. As far as I can see the guy gives his all when he plays, but is rarely available. That's no good to us. Better to get someone else in during the summer and let him go. Having a striker on the bench last night could have made a difference

captaincantona

Excuse me. Jog on. As far as I can see the guy gives his all when he plays, but is rarely available. That's no good to us. Better to get someone else in during the summer and let him go. Having a striker on the bench last night could have made a difference
Sorry mate...I actually agree with you...he does give his all...I don’t criticize him in the slightest...but some on here seem to expect him to be something he simply isn’t.

Ixion

The problem is there was no need to sign him up for another year AND sign Ronaldo. If he was more central to the team and not Ronaldo's back-up he'd probably give more of a shit

acnumber9

Yes...let’s vent our frustrations at the one guy who always looks arsed when he plays. I’d much prefer he casually stroll around like the rest of the team and then make up for it on social media afterwards.
Why not vent frustrations at anything that isn’t professional? He’s been garbage all season.

Status
Not open for further replies.