Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Sign a player who has had injuries for years for free.

Player shows great work ethic at 34, scores a bunch of goals and wants to leave, we beg him to stay and he agrees.

Now 35 year old injury prone player has a season riddled with injury.

"Good riddance" yeah that makes sense.
Wanted to leave after a few months. Had two good months last season. Prior to that 4 goals. Wanted to leave in jan this year. Wasn’t allowed. Took the piss. National team player getting paid £1mill a month by United.

OverratedOpinion

Wanted to leave after a few months. Had two good months last season. Prior to that 4 goals. Wanted to leave in jan this year. Wasn’t allowed. Took the piss. National team player getting paid £1mill a month by United.
How did he take the piss? He has been one of the hardest working players in our squad every time he has played despite being one of the oldest players.

I can only imagine you think he faked injuries because other than that I am at a loss.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
How did he take the piss? He has been one of the hardest working players in our squad every time he has played despite being one of the oldest players.

I can only imagine you think he faked injuries because other than that I am at a loss.
He decided that he wasn’t fit a few times despite Ralf saying he was fit....then played for Uruguay. So yeah. Not many players would ever get away with that and Cavani has done nothing to deserve that liberty.

OverratedOpinion

10m agent fee on signing and 10m per year salary. A free transfer in name only. Wish him well but Forlán is still our best Uruguayan.
I didn't realise he held a gun to our head and made us pay him.

I mention the free transfer because it just felt relevant that no one else had signed him because of all his injury issues and his age despite being available with no transfer fee.

I am the first to criticise our squad but he is a legitimate hard worker when fit and has shown real moments of quality. Some of the views just feel totally out of proportion.

OverratedOpinion

He decided that he wasn’t fit a few times despite Ralf saying he was fit....then played for Uruguay. So yeah. Not many players would ever get away with that and Cavani has done nothing to deserve that liberty.
Fair enough, I also think we mistreated him on our end.

We basically begged him to stay when he was against the idea then basically made him surpless for requirements because a more shiny 35 year old became available last minute.

Real Name

Posters who adore Pogba and criticize Cavani for a supposed lack of effort and things of the pitch is a strange thing to see I must admit.

Second season didnt work out and seems he should have left in the summer. Wish him all the luck.

tomaldinho1

I didn't realise he held a gun to our head and made us pay him.

I mention the free transfer because it just felt relevant that no one else had signed him because of all his injury issues and his age despite being available with no transfer fee.

I am the first to criticise our squad but he is a legitimate hard worker when fit and has shown real moments of quality. Some of the views just feel totally out of proportion.
We were the only ones who would pay him. He wanted Atlético but they refused the fee. Just standard stupid United transfer dealings.

He’s a hard worker when he’s fit AND he wants to play.

10m agent fee on signing and 10m per year salary. A free transfer in name only.
No shit.

We all know there’s no such thing as a free transfer captain obvious.

But there was no fee, his signing on fee wasn’t abnormal even when a fee is involved, same for his wage. 9.6m a year is of course a pay drop from his PSG salary.

So yes he was a free signing, in the sense that any bosman is “free”. Or if you really keep playing this daft game, there’s a thread about Jesse leaving on a “free”, probably Pogba and Mbappe too, so maybe go camp in those and explain to people how even a nobody like Lingard will be getting a signing on fee and wages.

Last edited:

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Disgraceful second season, I don't think he gave a shit after a while.
Shame, we could of have really used him this season, could have potentially made the difference in getting ucl football.

tomaldinho1

No shit.

We all know there’s no such thing as a free transfer captain obvious.

But there was no fee, his signing on fee wasn’t abnormal even when a fee is involved, same for his wage. 9.6m a year is of course a pay drop from his PSG salary.

So yes he was a free signing, in the sense that any bosman is “free”. Or if you really keep playing this daft game, there’s a thread about Jesse leaving on a “free”, probably Pogba and Mbappe too, so maybe go camp in those and explain to people how even a nobody like Lingard will be getting a signing on fee and wages.
I take it from your irate response you’ve had to take down his posters from your room?

Guy came here for a payday and got it, he sat on our offer whilst praying for Atlético or even Benfica to come in. He was decent first season but has been checked out since, even declaring himself unfit when the club thought he was ok. An expensive mistake in my eyes which is indicative of our poor transfer tactics.

OverratedOpinion

We were the only ones who would pay him. He wanted Atlético but they refused the fee. Just standard stupid United transfer dealings.

He’s a hard worker when he’s fit AND he wants to play.

If there are times when he was genuinely fit enough to play and refused then I absolutely hold my hands up and say I was wrong.

My perspective is that he worked very hard and did well when he played and was essentially pushed aside when we got the chance to sign Ronaldo after being begged to stay by Ole. That perspective isn't one that deserves "good riddance" type comments, if my perspective is wrong because he faked injuries then fair enough that isn't on.

tomaldinho1

If there are times when he was genuinely fit enough to play and refused then I absolutely hold my hands up and say I was wrong.

My perspective is that he worked very hard and did well when he played and was essentially pushed aside when we got the chance to sign Ronaldo after being begged to stay by Ole. That perspective isn't one that deserves "good riddance" type comments, if my perspective is wrong because he faked injuries then fair enough that isn't on.
Just to point out I’m not the poster who said good riddance. I personally think because he’s a big name and classy guy off the pitch, some fans aren’t really holding him to the same standards they would other players.

Ragnick in the presser before the City game specifically said they thought he’d trained well but Edi himself had decided he wasn’t fit. I guess we’ll never know the truth but Ragnick seems to be quite upfront about everything so I’m inclined to believe it.

CloneMC16

Posters who adore Pogba and criticize Cavani for a supposed lack of effort and things of the pitch is a strange thing to see I must admit.

Second season didnt work out and seems he should have left in the summer. Wish him all the luck.
I criticise Cavani for giving no fecks during his second season. He decided that he didn't want to play and has been earning £250k a week to take the piss. Even during his first season, he was pretty bad during the first half of the season. He had a couple months at the end of the season that were good. As far as I'm aware, Pogba hasn't said he's not playing, even though the club believes that he's fit.

He's taken the piss all season, and is still adored by some of our fans. Unreal stuff. If Pogba deserved booing by our fans, Cavani certainly did.

I take it from your irate response you’ve had to take down his posters from your room?
I took down my tomaldinho posters when he started explaining to people how bosman transfers, actually get paid signing on fees and wait for it…. Salaries.

Here all us thickos have spent 30 years thinking that the term “free transfer”, actually means free, that players out of contract are just beautiful altruistic people who play for the love of their new club and the sport. fecking ell :lol:

tomaldinho1

I took down my tomaldinho posters when he started explaining to people how bosman transfers, actually get paid signing on fees and wait for it…. Salaries.

Here all us thickos have spent 30 years thinking the a free transfers, means free. fecking ell :lol:
Classic ‘United under Woodward’ approach to transfers right here: Atlético and Benfica refused to pay the 10m agent fee but we’re United, we have cash, we’re rich and want the big names.

Also creepy you had multiple pictures of a random middle aged Caucasian man in your room.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Like Zlatan should have enjoyed the first season and left it at that, hope Cristiano won't follow the same path (ofc he won't he's the GOAT)

What were they?
“Free transfers aren’t free”

The other one had something to do with some Schneiderlin love in.

Leaving aside the “free aint free” stuff, I think he was a decent last minute transfer last season, and would’ve been a big reason for a EL win if only DDG could save pens.
The big mistake was tying him down this year when he clearly wanted out, then buying Ronaldo and thus making him semi useless and feeling let down, and then refusing again to let him leave in Jan. Daft as feck. Think both he, and the club (both managers included) have let the fans down this year with his situation.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Interesting that Rangnick called him out in the press saying he should have been fit for weeks, then he miraculously is fit for a nice send off by the fans.

Enjoyed his first season but he's a bit big let down this 2nd.

tomaldinho1

“Free transfers aren’t free”

The other one had something to do with some Schneiderlin love in.

Leaving aside the “free aint free” stuff, I think he was a decent last minute transfer last season, and would’ve been a big reason for a EL win if only DDG could save pens.
The big mistake was tying him down this year when he clearly wanted out, then buying Ronaldo and thus making him semi useless and feeling let down, and then refusing again to let him leave in Jan. Daft as feck. Think both he, and the club (both managers included) have let the fans down this year with his situation.
Must have been custom made to fit that much writing on a stamp…
I think he’s been ok, definitely overhyped because of his reputation particularly when you actually look at his goals and who he scored against. The fact people even compare him to Ibra and a large number even said he’d been more impactful just proves that.

Must have been custom made to fit that much writing on a stamp…
I think he’s been ok, definitely overhyped because of his reputation particularly when you actually look at his goals and who he scored against. The fact people even compare him to Ibra and a large number even said he’d been more impactful just proves that.
Clearly was never as good as Ibra, but as a last minute deal, we clearly needed him in our squad last season, so that for me is unequivocally a good deal.
The less said about everyone involved in keeping him around for all of this season, the better.

tomaldinho1

Clearly was never as good as Ibra, but as a last minute deal, we clearly needed him in our squad last season, so that for me is unequivocally a good deal.
The less said about everyone involved in keeping him around for all of this season, the better.
Agreed. Only thing that I do feel we missed out on because of him was a genuine backup striker who would stick around for years - we apparently pulled out of signing Josh King who would have been that kind of Origi level player we are missing. We want rapid and physical players to come in now, enough of these old codgers.

Agreed. Only thing that I do feel we missed out on because of him was a genuine backup striker who would stick around for years - we apparently pulled out of signing Josh King who would have been that kind of Origi level player we are missing. We want rapid and physical players to come in now, enough of these old codgers.
I think Josh King would’ve likely turned out crap, as with most of our fringe signings, and offered next to nothing. We’re not in a position or the type of setup where we can make a Cleverley, or an Origi, or a King look good.
I’d say Martial and Rashford have held us back more than Cavani when it comes to getting in new younger blood in that position.

Last edited:

tomaldinho1

I think Josh King would’ve likely turned out crap, as with most of our fringe signings, and offered next to nothing.
I’d say Martial and Rashford have held us back more than Cavani when it comes to getting in new younger blood in that position.
Yh I meant more that type of player rather than King specifically but agree - Martial apparently off this summer, I suspect Rashford will stay. I guess we did have Greenwood as backup when the season started as well.

Yh I meant more that type of player rather than King specifically but agree - Martial apparently off this summer, I suspect Rashford will stay. I guess we did have Greenwood as backup when the season started as well.
Yeah, weird position we’re in this year now with Cavani, Martial and Greenwood all likely gone.
Gonna be extremely interesting to see how we do.

Real Name

I criticise Cavani for giving no fecks during his second season. He decided that he didn't want to play and has been earning £250k a week to take the piss. Even during his first season, he was pretty bad during the first half of the season. He had a couple months at the end of the season that were good. As far as I'm aware, Pogba hasn't said he's not playing, even though the club believes that he's fit.

He's taken the piss all season, and is still adored by some of our fans. Unreal stuff. If Pogba deserved booing by our fans, Cavani certainly did.
Pogba didnt do that but did worse things. Anyway this isnt about Pogba. If we were to believe Cavani was deciding when to play then yes he deserves booing.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Pogba didnt do that but did worse things. Anyway this isnt about Pogba. If we were to believe Cavani was deciding when to play then yes he deserves booing.
What did he do that’s worse? He came back from injuries too soon only to get injured again and accused of faking injury? He came back from World Cup early to play first game of season against Leicester with only a week pre season?

Real Name

What did he do that’s worse? He came back from injuries too soon only to get injured again and accused of faking injury? He came back from World Cup early to play first game of season against Leicester with only a week pre season?
Haha, its only appropriate you replied regarding Pogba.

Mino Raiola, God rest his soul, constantly throwing shit about the club, for a start plus Pogba's interviews every time he's on international duty. Among other things Raiola said he was offering Pogba around about one year into his contract.

Anyway lets not go further into offtopic as this isnt a Pogba thread, especially its not for having a conversation with a huge Pogba fan.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Haha, its only appropriate you replied regarding Pogba.

Mino Raiola, God rest his soul, constantly throwing shit about the club, for a start plus Pogba's interviews every time he's on international duty. Among other things Raiola said he was offering Pogba around about one year into his contract.

Anyway lets not go further into offtopic as this isnt a Pogba thread, especially its not for having a conversation with a huge Pogba fan.
No let’s go with Cavani.

Arrived last August...wanted to leave in January. Scored 4 goals up until March of last year despite being paid a fortune and asking to leave. Decided to sign for another £12million for another couple of months work as long as he got an extended summer break. Came back for one game and asked to play for Uruguay for the next two months, then asked to leave once again in January. Was told no so decided never to be fit....but play for Uruguay in March and resume injury on his return. All the while pocketing £1mill a month.

Yeah an agent saying a player should leave is worse than a player refusing to play despite the club feeling he’s been fit for months...then playing for his country

Real Name

No let’s go with Cavani.

Arrived last August...wanted to leave in January. Scored 4 goals up until March of last year despite being paid a fortune and asking to leave. Decided to sign for another £12million for another couple of months work as long as he got an extended summer break. Came back for one game and asked to play for Uruguay for the next two months, then asked to leave once again in January. Was told no so decided never to be fit....but play for Uruguay in March and resume injury on his return. All the while pocketing £1mill a month.

Yeah an agent saying a player should leave is worse than a player refusing to play despite the club feeling he’s been fit for months...then playing for his country
Did he ask to leave in January or it was written (made up) in some tabloid like Mirror or Sun?

Did the club feel he's been 'fit for months' whatever that means or its just speculation. How can the club decide a player is fit 'for months'?

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Did he ask to leave in January or it was written (made up) in some tabloid like Mirror or Sun?

Did the club feel he's been 'fit for months' whatever that means or its just speculation. How can the club decide a player is fit 'for months'?
Ragnick on Cavani deciding he isn’t playing against City in March.

"Edi trained well in the last three days but, in the end, he didn't feel quite well enough to be able to play

"What does it help if I tell you it's frustrating? It's just a fact if players tell the doctor and the medical department that they are injured and cannot play. I have to accept it as a manager."

Asked if Cavani decides when he plays, Rangnick continued: "Edi trained in the last three days, he trained well, but he still felt after those three training sessions that he is still not fit to play.

"This is a fact and as a manager, I cannot force a player to play if he doesn't feel fit or well enough to play.”

It should also be noted that he decided he couldn’t play in the next two games before having a cameo vs Spurs a few days before international break....where he played and returned again unfit to play for us until last night.

On Cavani wanting to leave....

"It depends. I think you will understand that I don’t want to talk about individual players in public. I know from some players that they would want to leave.

"We spoke about Edi, and he knows that I will definitely not let him go. For me, he is a highly important player for the rest of the season, [we’re] still playing in three competitions so we will definitely need Edi.”

Idxomer

He basically punished the club for holding him to the contract he signed.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Not even close.

Cavani spent most of his first season being shit anytime he started. Sure he was generally good off the bench, but it was hardly close to Zlatan. It was only the last two months of the season that he started being good when starting matches.
And Zlatan spent most of his time missing chance after chance after chance and being a big reason why we failed to score many goals/drew loads of games/ultimately finished 6th so let's not pretend he was perfect

Not sure why you feel the need to downplay what Cavani did for us last season, both him and Zlatan had fairly good first seasons all things considered

Status
Not open for further replies.