Edinson Cavani - SIGNED for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoomSlayer

Yeah, like Thiago.
Both had similar time out this season. Infact his injury record isn't that bad to be fair.
He's a proven goalscorer who's here to be backup.
Stop with your misplaced ire.
You are crazy for comparing Thiago to Cavani, seriously what the feck? :lol:

Nick7

On a positive note, he could turn out to be a Zlatan rather than Bastian, Sanchez or Falcao. Some of you guys need to wait before making judgements.
1/4 is a pretty poor strike rate for the money spent on them.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
So we can afford this with a huge agent fee and high wages but can’t seemingly get Telles and Sancho over the line?

Brutal club. I hate it.

DoomSlayer

Falcao was coming back from a very serious injury.
And Cavani is 33, having 2 prior seasons ravaged by injuries. He might have the Ighalo type of impact, but I don't expect anything more, even that would be okay considering his fitness issues.

Godfather

Signing a 33 year old big name striker renowned for his physical commitment after a series of bad injuries and is known to have a questionable first touch and bottle a good chance. Genius signing.

Well he'll fit right in with Rashford, Mata and Dan James. The newest member of the stretford softies.
Cavani is one of the least football players I'd call a softie. Nice change actually as we had too many fannies the last few years.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
If we have him it's a top piece of business. Very bizzare remarks about him in the thread.
Indeed. Obssession with age of players is insane here. We got (still) very good striker for free and on 2 years contract.

FizzyWomack

Schweinsteiger was a WC winner and a Bayern Munich legend, an iconic midfielder of his whole generation. Still flopped massively.
He was. But that’s completely irrelevant to Cavani.

Signing Cavani is better than nothing,we need to get behind the team.

It’s still not good enough but like I said, it’s better than doing sweet fa.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
So we can afford this with a huge agent fee and high wages but can’t seemingly get Telles and Sancho over the line?

Brutal club. I hate it.
We can afford them. We’re just trying to get the best deal.

RonaldoVII

I don't know the details of how much it's costing us. A club's priorities can shift. It's pretty clear that Ole doesn't have much faith in Ighalo at this point, as Ighalo hasn't done anything in a while, and his minutes have dropped. So bringing in another backup striker option makes sense, also considering that Ighalo is on a loan deal and will leave mid season. The injury point is a fair one, but with him being brought in as a backup instead of starter, I think we can manage him well physically.

"Behave"? Really? How old are you?
How do we know he's not on sky high wages then? I'd imagine he was backup last season at PSG but can't have been managed well with his injury record. I've no issue with replacing Ighalo as backup but there are surely better options.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Brutal club. I hate it.
Look forward to next summer when Cavani's wages get mentioned as a reason we can't afford to buy players then too.

Hoof the ball

To be objective for just one moment, at least we now have a viable physical and aerial threat in the box for 75% of the games versus teams that just sit back and dare us to try and break them down. If nothing else, he's an option we don't currently have in the squad.

ti vu

Why the negativity? The guy is finished, he'll get us goals.
Fixed.

Because he has feel around him.

Alexis Sánchez before his disastrous move to us was better. He looks spring chicken compare to Cavani especially last season.

Cavani is always wasteful. Juventus who was desperate for a new forward chose to pass on him as free and pick Morata instead, says it all. Juventus had Luis Suarez, Dzeko, Milik as priority before having to settle for Morata. Cavani would have been more straight forward deal, no?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
This transfer stinks. Smell of Woody all over this.
Cavani on a free transfer for a team struggling to unlock deep defences seems an astute piece of business. And I don't give a feck if its Woody, Ole or Fergie pushing the button.

red4ever 79

To be objective for just one moment, at least we now have a viable physical and aerial threat in the box for 75% of the games versus teams that just sit back and dare us to try and break them down. If nothing else, he's an option we don't currently have in the squad.
shame we don't have anyone who can cross a ball

Ollie Derbyshire

Falcao was a bench player and he still flopped. Bastian was actually supposed to be a rotation player as well because we still had Carrick, we bought Schneiderlin as well and we had Daley Blind, Herrera.
Falcoa was a gamble we took after his injury, you know that surely. Didn’t work out which can happen.
Cavani is an experienced player who will hopefully add to the squad. I’d rather bring him on in games than any of Ighalo, James, Lingard and depending on the opposition Mata.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
If we have him it's a top piece of business. Very bizzare remarks about him in the thread.
First, you’re optimistic about Sancho.

And now you’re positive about Cavani.

What next.. you’re going to say that our entire team isn’t shit?!

come on mate, at least TRY to fit in around here..

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
And Cavani is 33, having 2 prior seasons ravaged by injuries. He might have the Ighalo type of impact, but I don't expect anything more, even that would be okay considering his fitness issues.
There is a difference between doing you cruciate and having a season where you just keep getting injuries which keep you sidelined. Not every 33-year-old footballer is past it.

Lemansky

The context of this window makes people lose their heads

Good signing and will give us qualities in the team we don’t have

Tony247

On a positive note, he could turn out to be a Zlatan rather than Bastian, Sanchez or Falcao. Some of you guys need to wait before making judgements.
Cavani can head a cross. None of our forwards can. Other than that its very difficult to find positive...honestly.

The differences for me are that Zlatan
  • Didn't have the huge amount of injuries that Cavani has had in recent years
  • Was still playing at a ridiculous level for PSG, unlike Cavani who's had a terrible season and looks like a player on a steep, steep physical decline.
  • Was and is unbelievably technically gifted so his game translated much better to aging than Cavani who always relied on his physical qualities and non-stop running
And maybe biggest of all, Zlatan was absolutely desperate to come here and prove himself in the Premier League. He was up for the challenge from Day 1 and absolutely relished in making Old Trafford his stage and being a leader.

Cavani is literally on record - or at least his agent is - in dismissively saying that the only reason he would come here would be for the money.

Reactions: Sultan

Shiva87

Good signing if it was one of four or five this summer. Like Thiago Silva for Chelsea.

If we get Sancho and Telles in, then this is perfect. If there is nothing else happening, then clearly this is ED in panick mode after seeing the CL draw and realising that we will lose millions if we don't make it to the knockout phase.

OleBoiii

So we're signing a 33 year old who's spent the last 7 years in a farmer's league.

Great.

Redfan94

Aerial threat with nobody to put a decent ball in the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.