Elon Musk | Owner of X

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Can’t remember who said it but the jist was: “you have world class writers, comedians, comics, celebrities, scientists, engineers, the list goes on… all producing content on your product for free which generates billions of views and billions in ad revenue and some genius decides to put a pay gate in the middle of that and break the entire system?”
Worked in journalism for FT, NYT etc

I agree social media's business model is working now. But it is so monopolistic it cannot stand for free speech and freedom of expression either imo.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Worked in journalism for FT, NYT etc

I agree social media's business model is working now. But it is so monopolistic it cannot stand for free speech and freedom of expression either imo.
Journalists are paid for their articles…

Suv666

Surely paywall is the future of social media
I don’t think so. A social media is as strong as its user base. If they started charging except the hardcore addicts most would migrate to alternatives or quit. If you lost even 40% of your Instagram/Facebook friends/followers paying that monthly bill would seem less and less attractive.

The day is not far away when some big tech creates a Twitter competitor. As soon as the recession lightens up. I’m sure Google won’t mind taking another stab at the social media game. They would generate so much potential data if they owned a major social media service.

nimic

something nice
Scout
:lol:

Just looked at it and it seems to count threads on your main page AND replies in them amongst the 600, whether you click on them or not. Absolutely ridiculous implementation of a pathetic new "feature" :lol:
I don't think this is the case.

Joe Biden's official account was also struck with that silly limit. :nono: :mad:
Wasn't that actually Olberman hitting his rate limit for viewing posts? I can see Biden's posts no problem.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Might just give me the needed push to quit the app. Football fans on there are insufferable anyway.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
I don’t think so. A social media is as strong as its user base. If they started charging except the hardcore addicts most would migrate to alternatives or quit. If you lost even 40% of your Instagram/Facebook friends/followers paying that monthly bill would seem less and less attractive.

The day is not far away when some big tech creates a Twitter competitor. As soon as the recession lightens up. I’m sure Google won’t mind taking another stab at the social media game. They would generate so much potential data if they owned a major social media service.
I agree but the issue right now is we get too much social and not enough media.

Have not learned anything on these platforms lately. I get my (limited) knowledge from reading up classic newspapers.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Hurrr durrr the scraping was affecting the user experience so I made the user experience even worse. I am a smart man.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Well then something is even more broken with it then. Because simply scrolling past posts with around 600 replies total, then clicking on one brings up the message without fail.

In fact, even clicking on a trending topic is breaking it, so maybe it is something more severe.
Doesn't happen for me. It's just broken as always.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
It’s one way to get people off the platform. Egomaniacal cnut.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I hope it goes bust ASAP. fecking Musk is an absolute fraud.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I’m actually surprised that Twitter are using cloud infrastructure. It’s fantastic at scaling so it’s fantastic for startups that want to achieve growth but once you reach a certain size with a lot of traffic it becomes really really fecking expensive at that scale which is why most large tech companies end up investing in their own infrastructure before that point.
Not that I'm a huge expert on these things, but using some resources from google probably doesn't mean they don't have their own data centers, say for example they use a hybrid solution, where they run most of their stuff in their own data centers and use cloud service providers to book extra resources to deal with spikes, because that may just be cheaper and more flexible than buying all the hardware (for some theoretical (temporary) maximum load) yourself.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Right, isn't that basically just setting a cap on how much money advertisers can make? If Twitter is losing money from people using Twitter a lot, it's just dead. Immediately.
They already lost ~80% of their pre-takeover advertising menu after Elon's initial shenanigans. But yeah, driving users away from your platform is going to kill any advertising business and purely move revenues to subscriptions.

Saw speculation that this is because Twitter has not being paying bills to their cloud company (Google's GCP being one) and they have rate limited Twitter's access to the cloud databases being used which now has been passed on to the users in this rationed manner. Will either be resolved by some negotiation in few days or might just lead to bankruptcy and shutdown of the whole site.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
So I signed in for the first time in forever. Scrolled past hundreds and hundreds of tweets. Conclusion: Scrolling past tweets does not count towards your limit. I also clicked on an Elon Tweet with a massive number of replies and scrolled all the way to the end. I can still read tweets.

I wanted to break it. What gives?

Edit: Hooray I hit my limit!

crappycraperson

Scout
I’m actually surprised that Twitter are using cloud infrastructure. It’s fantastic at scaling so it’s fantastic for startups that want to achieve growth but once you reach a certain size with a lot of traffic it becomes really really fecking expensive at that scale which is why most large tech companies end up investing in their own infrastructure before that point.
Errm almost all big companies world wide use Cloud now. Even a company as big as Apple used a different cloud company for a lot of their storage rather than their own infrastructure. All SM companies like Snap, TikTok also use it. Insta uses one by FB. Pretty much Amazon, Google, Microsoft and Meta are the only companies who can afford to manage their own cloud infra without any reliance on 3P ones. OCI too I guess.

Ady87

So I signed in for the first time in forever. Scrolled past hundreds and hundreds of tweets. Conclusion: Scrolling past tweets does not count towards your limit. I also clicked on an Elon Tweet with a massive number of replies and scrolled all the way to the end. I can still read tweets.

I wanted to break it. What gives?

Edit: Hooray I hit my limit!
Just saw the edit, i thought you’d hacked in to the matrix for a second there.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Is 600 tweets a lot? My usage is limited to what's posted here and on Reddit. Does scrolling through replies count as viewing separate tweets?

Edit: Just saw Ekkie's post.

crappycraperson

Scout
Not that I'm a huge expert on these things, but using some resources from google probably doesn't mean they don't have their own data centers, say for example they use a hybrid solution, where they run most of their stuff in their own data centers and use cloud service providers to book extra resources to deal with spikes, because that may just be cheaper and more flexible than buying all the hardware (for some theoretical (temporary) maximum load) yourself.
Maintaining your own cloud infrastructure if you have to cater to a worldwide scale of users is actually more expensive when you take into account reliability and maintenance. It is cheaper to just rely on proven solutions like AWS, GCP, Azure. Take Walmart for example who have their own cloud solution via Walmart Labs. But their Indian subsidiary, Flipkart, which has to handle a huge amount of user load on events equivalent to Black friday in India, had to switch to use some storage solutions from GCP since Walmart's own cloud solution was simply unable to maintain the required availability. All big enterprise firms in US who previously relied on on the premises server infra are now moving to cloud for similar reasons.